Could someone explain lip tars to me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its NOT a gloss. They are highly concentrated liquid lip colors that dry to a satin or matte finish.

Its NOT a gloss. They are highly concentrated liquid lip colors that dry to a satin or matte finish.
Jess is talking about this specific line:
OCC called it "stained gloss" first, so that's what we call it.

Yup that's what I was talking about! I'm not much of a glossy girl, myself, which is why I love the Mattes so much. I do have a stained gloss but I exclusively wear it over a matte. I've also stopped using clear as the "primer" since I got the hang of using the right amount. Guys what are your thoughts on the Stained Glosses? I'm getting Dekadent in a swap -- which I've wanted for a long time -- I'm stoked but I feel like it'll have the same impact as Rhythm Box. I'll post color combo pics when I get it and when I'm not lazy.

Jess is talking about this specific line:
OCC called it "stained gloss" first, so that's what we call it.

[@]usofjessamerica[/@] Dekadent is one of the stained gloss colours that I'm interested in, that and little black dress. If you get Dekadent and don't care for it, I'd be more than happy to trade for it :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@usofjessamerica

Dekadent is one of the stained gloss colours that I'm interested in, that and little black dress. If you get Dekadent and don't care for it, I'd be more than happy to trade for it
biggrin.gif

haha for sure.

this girl had a Clear / Dekadent duo. Like it came in one pack, both items on one card, and only included one brush. i've never seen any of them packaged like that before!

[@=/u/98725/usofjessamerica]@usofjessamerica[/@] Dekadent is one of the stained gloss colours that I'm interested in, that and little black dress. If you get Dekadent and don't care for it, I'd be more than happy to trade for it :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
haha for sure. this girl had a Clear / Dekadent duo. Like it came in one pack, both items on one card, and only included one brush. i've never seen any of them packaged like that before!
Huh...weird, never seen that before. Do you trade/buy on Poshmark? I just started and it's kinda awesome, I got two Tarte cheek stains, full size for $23, and full sized Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for $15! But yeah if you don't like it I'll gladly trade, I have a bunch of Holika Holika I need to pawn off on someone. Joking! Joking!

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Huh...weird, never seen that before. Do you trade/buy on Poshmark? I just started and it's kinda awesome, I got two Tarte cheek stains, full size for $23, and full sized Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for $15! But yeah if you don't like it I'll gladly trade, I have a bunch of Holika Holika I need to pawn off on someone. Joking! Joking!
heh. i'm planning on keeping mine for now...but i'll be sure to post pictures.

[@]usofjessamerica[/@] Lol, I know, I was just joking around. Funny enough I've seen every colour of lip tar on eBay except for Dekadent so I'm gonna assume it's really popular and it's owners love it too much to give it up.

Today I bought my first Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar and I am sooo innn looove! I got the color 'Harlot'...there wasn't a huge selection because the closest Sephora to me isn't a stand-alone store and they didn't have the entire line. But never-the-less, I am extremely pleased with the color I picked. There are tons of colors in the line, but I'm going to wait until IMATS NYC to grab the other ones that I want. Ugh so much anticipation! 

These retail for $18 a pop, which is a pretty penny for one lip product, but I swear one of these will last you an eternity! You only need the tiniest dot to cover your entire lip because the color is sooo concentrated! Definitely worth the money, if you ask me.

So, do you ladies own any lip tars? If so, what are your favorite colors? If you'd like to, post swatches of what they look like. I'm so intrigued about these now! Here is what Harlot looks like on me:

wah!
7b.gif
 the color looks pretty on you. and the application is flawless! how is the wear? i've been eyeing these for the longest time, but i'm not a big lip person and i'm afraid they're gonna dry out on me.

Thank you! Applying it was so easy. I used the brush that comes with it and that's it. No lip liner or anything! I've had the color on for almost 4 hours now and it hasn't budged. As far as drying goes, I didn't notice any settling into lines or clinging to dry patches. I don't have super soft lips; my lips are actually on the drier side. Some people have a problem with certain colors being more dry than others so I suppose it's all trial and error. This particular shade doesn't feel dry at all though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey! We have a pseudo official lip tar thread that's "can someone explain lip tars to me?" Or something. Join us over there too! It looks great on you! I have built up quite the collection. 15 full sizes of mattes and stained glosses. Love them so much !!

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Today I bought my first Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar and I am sooo innn looove! I got the color 'Harlot'...there wasn't a huge selection because the closest Sephora to me isn't a stand-alone store and they didn't have the entire line. But never-the-less, I am extremely pleased with the color I picked. There are tons of colors in the line, but I'm going to wait until IMATS NYC to grab the other ones that I want. Ugh so much anticipation! 

These retail for $18 a pop, which is a pretty penny for one lip product, but I swear one of these will last you an eternity! You only need the tiniest dot to cover your entire lip because the color is sooo concentrated! Definitely worth the money, if you ask me.

So, do you ladies own any lip tars? If so, what are your favorite colors? If you'd like to, post swatches of what they look like. I'm so intrigued about these now! Here is what Harlot looks like on me:

That color looks great on you!

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That color looks great on you!
Thank you very much! 
smiletongue.gif

Guys I have a crazy question - my daughter has no issue with the colours...I've tried about 5 different colors - to begin with they are fantastic - but it doesn't seem to matter what color apply....even the Black Dahlia which goes on like a dark wine colour initially - within 30mins everything turns pink - normally a bright pink on me.  I do exactly as she does and apply with a clean brush - the lip tar dries and looks great - but 30 mins later with no contact with food or drink its a different color....

Is it just my body chemistry or is there something I'm doing wrong??

I'm so amazed at how little lip tar you need. Seriously, just a dab on the tip of a toothpick is almost too much! I only have Queen but I love it. I want more shades though! I think the minis are a perfect size because i can't imagine using a full size in my lifetime. Has anyone who is not a makeup artist ever finished one!?

Liptars are amazing! (Actually OCC as a whole is all amazing products). I love that they have the different lines now too - matte, stained gloss, metallic and come out with new collections every season. I think I have like 15 different colors, maybe more? So easy to use and mix. I don't think most people know they don't have to strictly be used on the lips either! I use them as blush, contour, cheek stain, and most often lately as eyebrow color (I bleach out my brows because I change hair colors every few months) and it's perfect because I an always have a strong, bold brow no matter what crazy color my hair is!

Back