Could someone explain lip tars to me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I picked up another Lip Tar today, a matte one, Stalker, I meant to pick up Role Play but the dang labelling is so tiny and Sephora so creepy mood lighting dark that I walked out with the wrong thing and I just couldn't brave the traffic to go back out there. Anywhoo, this one mixed much much better with the Sleek Pout Paint and both dried matte and stayed put, so I do think it was the consistency of the metallic that caused all the ruckus before, the matte LT is much closer in consistency to the PP.
That's cool. Please share a photo of Stalker if you get a chance.

As requested, me wearing stalker. One of the reasons that I had initially wanted to take it back was because in the tube it looks like a cool toned red, but low and behold as I was applying it to my lips it warmed up to the colour that you see here, I think I'll keep it. I did also mix it with the black metal Dahlia to create a deeper, more rocking red for my sister's Christmas party tonight, and I wound up with the same issues that I had with mixing it with the pout paint, it doesn't set very well and transfers like crazy. I did manage to wear Stalker for most of the day and didn't have any transfer or overdrying/pain issues like I did with the metallic, so it seems as if, 1) the metallics aren't so good for mixing unless maybe it's another metallic? And 2) they have a much higher peppermint oil content than the regular lip tars, in fact, the peppermint smell was nowhere near as strong with Stalker, but mixing them together did eliminate the dry/overdry lips.

Nice color!

@dancersmum 

@sleepykat

Dunno if anyone is interested in seeing the  Sleek  PP in action, these are two of my faves, Mauve Over and Port. Please excuse the lighting, I'm having a serious lighting issue in my bathroom right now, in hindsight I probably should have waited til tomorrow, daytime to do this, but I was in the bathroom examining some other stuff and started playig, anyhwooo

I just prefer the pout paints honestly. For me at least, they're easier to work with, they dry faster and I can build them up to as little or as much as I want, no feathering, no transferring. 

@dancersmum 

@sleepykat

Dunno if anyone is interested in seeing the  Sleek  PP in action, these are two of my faves, Mauve Over and Port. Please excuse the lighting, I'm having a serious lighting issue in my bathroom right now, in hindsight I probably should have waited til tomorrow, daytime to do this, but I was in the bathroom examining some other stuff and started playig, anyhwooo

I just prefer the pout paints honestly. For me at least, they're easier to work with, they dry faster and I can build them up to as little or as much as I want, no feathering, no transferring. 
I love that second one! Is that Port?

[@]sleepykat[/@] Yes ma'am that is indeed port. I'm placing another sleek order soon to get the rest of the ones I don't have plus some other stuff, I'm really missing a black in that line though

@dancersmum

@sleepykat

Both look great!

@dancersmum 

@sleepykat

@Prtylitlesyko wow so gorgeous!  I'm going to pick some of these up soon, I love that they sound easier to work with than the Lip Tars.  Do you know if they sell them at any retail locations, or just through their website?

[@]JC327[/@] Thanks! [@]magicalmom[/@] I've never seen them anywhere but on the site, but, I usually have my brother or sister pick them up at a shop in the UK for me, usually superdrug or something, cause for some reason there are items that aren't available to the US market for whatever reason. My sister knows me well enough to get what I like if she sees something I haven't asked for, and sometimes she just tells my brother what to get. I've only ever really place placed two orders from the site, and those were cause I didn't feel comfortable asking them to spend that much on makeup. You can find some of the unavailable to the US market stuff on eBay, but the markup is wicked.

Aw, dang it.  I hate paying shipping, and I don't have any UK based siblings (although I would happily volunteer to live in the UK for awhile!).  I may just keep my eye on the site to see if they do any sales.  Thank you!  

Aw, dang it.  I hate paying shipping, and I don't have any UK based siblings (although I would happily volunteer to live in the UK for awhile!).  I may just keep my eye on the site to see if they do any sales.  Thank you!  
They've just added a new shipping feature to the site, not sure if it's based on the amount or what, but it basically have me two shipping options. $1.69 regular 10-14 day shipping and$6.56 3-8 working days shipping with tracking. I was trying to see how much my total came up to with the items in my cart cause I plan to pay for this round myself, lol, we'll see what happens when I add more to it.

Sooooo...just picked up Super NSFW Lip Tar, another one of The modern Lovecraft Metalic Series if anyone is interested in seeing how it looks. Just bear in mind that I have super golden undertones and this one is a golden orange so it's probably not as vibrant on me as it would be on someone else cause my complexion just kind absorbs it, it took a lot for that much to show up on me. Silly pictures follow...

Super NSFW is my hands down least favorite and I've been trying to get rid of it via swap or IG swaps FOREVER. It looks pretty it just doesn't settle on my lips right.

Super NSFW is my hands down least favorite and I've been trying to get rid of it via swap or IG swaps FOREVER. It looks pretty it just doesn't settle on my lips right.
I'm finding that I have the same issue with it. It feels as if it never sets, and slides around. Not a fan at all.

Sooooo...just picked up Super NSFW Lip Tar, another one of The modern Lovecraft Metalic Series if anyone is interested in seeing how it looks. Just bear in mind that I have super golden undertones and this one is a golden orange so it's probably not as vibrant on me as it would be on someone else cause my complexion just kind absorbs it, it took a lot for that much to show up on me. Silly pictures follow...

Pretty!

I got strumpet from my SS and I love it, now im kicking myself in the butt for not getting the $20 set from Sephora.

I got strumpet from my SS and I love it, now im kicking myself in the butt for not getting the $20 set from Sephora.
I got the full sized Strumpet off eBay for $10 and free shipping and I love it! I also went and got Role Play when I returned a Smashbox lipstick to Sephora the other night, I think at this point it's fair to say I prefer the mattes over the metallics.

@Prtylitlesyko what a great deal!  

I got my daughter the set of 12 minis - but 1/2 are metallics but she hasn't had a chance to try them yet.  She adores the matte ones and I have to say that I'm going to borrow some of them to try - as there is no chance that she will finish them at the rate she uses them!

I get to help with her & her best friends make up for their high school winter ball next weekend - think it will be a great chance to play with them!

I love my lip tars but I rarely wear them because of the difficulty of application....

Ok here's a better pic of Rhythm box over strumpet in natural light.
I was writing someone a note and listed off my lip tars. I have 11 full size plus clear 0.0 I didn't realize I have so many!

Quote: Originally Posted by gexton71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love my lip tars but I rarely wear them because of the difficulty of application....
Yeah I was thinking about that today. I dunno why, but I can literally use my Pout Paints as their own lip liners, it's pretty easy to draw in the border of my lips, but for some reason I can't seem to accomplish the same task with the Lip Tars and I'm using the same brushes for both, the ones that comes with the lip tars, what the heck is that about?

Quote: Originally Posted by dancersmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @Prtylitlesyko what a great deal!  

I got my daughter the set of 12 minis - but 1/2 are metallics but she hasn't had a chance to try them yet.  She adores the matte ones and I have to say that I'm going to borrow some of them to try - as there is no chance that she will finish them at the rate she uses them!

I get to help with her & her best friends make up for their high school winter ball next weekend - think it will be a great chance to play with them!
I can honestly say I don't like the Metallics, I like the idea of them, but they're just so wrong on so many levels, from the over drying to the slip and slide, I'm just gonna have to say no. I do so like the coverage, so far my favourite of all the ones that I've picked up has to be Strumpet, probably because it dries as fast and matte as my Pout Paints, no transfer. This whole conversation we've been having made me do a nice little comparison between the two as my last blog post as well. Also, because I troll the Sleek website damn near daily, I realised yesterday that everything on the site has gone up in price by at least one dollar so the pout paints are now $7.49, the I-Devine palettes went from $9.99 to $11.99 and the Blush By 3 went up to $15 fron $12.50. Not that big a deal obviously, but dang, a warning would have been nice.

Latest posts

Back