Could someone explain lip tars to me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by dancersmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OCC said that they will be restocking Sephora but have no idea if the stock will be in shops or online (I can't get to a shop
frown.gif
)

I've been checking the site regularly - no luck so far...

Oh and btw - I also got a pro pack - but its not as nice as the mini 4 set...the mini set will get much more use we think...

OCC 12-pack mini is back in stock! OCC 12-pack mini is back in stock!

http://www.sephora.com/lip-tar-all-star-mini-x-12-set-P383701?skuId=1549328

11.gif

Thanks for the heads up....

ORDERED!!! WHOOHOOO!!! - a lovely aunt decided she'd get them for my daughters birthday :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  One happy girl coming up!

Haha, hope you can still nab it. I was so nervous last night that I pulled the trigger after a very brief moment of severe doubt. I was scared it would sell out again. So irrationally scared that I didn't even think to look up any codes to include with the order! Heck, I was impatient to just get past the sample picking page. They should arrive tomorrow and then begins the decision process over whether I keep them or not. 
icon_redface.gif

I bought the mini lip tars and thought I'd love them, but instead I hate them.  I'm so sad.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  To me they feel oily, which is a gross feeling and so hard to work with. 

I find them hard to work with too but my teenager loves them!  but surprisingly the colors look great on her very true to whats in the tube - on me everything goes pink...even the really red shades.  I have never tried the black dahlia though...will give it a shot at some stage.  But have to say on my dancer they look amazing.

The feeling is very different to what I expected but I found after I blotted it - I was happy enough with the texture...oh and my dancer said she had to give them a bit of a shake so they weren't as oily...

I find them hard to work with too but my teenager loves them!  but surprisingly the colors look great on her very true to whats in the tube - on me everything goes pink...even the really red shades.  I have never tried the black dahlia though...will give it a shot at some stage.  But have to say on my dancer they look amazing.

The feeling is very different to what I expected but I found after I blotted it - I was happy enough with the texture...oh and my dancer said she had to give them a bit of a shake so they weren't as oily...

Lip Tars are not to be used on their own. They can be but these were designed to be mixed which is why Lip Tars are a favorite in the movie industry. You can use a clear gloss (OCC brand or any clear gloss) to mix Lip Tars into OR use a lip balm as a base to create your own "lipstick" or colored lip balm.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OCC said that they will be restocking Sephora but have no idea if the stock will be in shops or online (I can't get to a shop
frown.gif
)

I've been checking the site regularly - no luck so far...

Oh and btw - I also got a pro pack - but its not as nice as the mini 4 set...the mini set will get much more use we think...

OCC 12-pack mini is back in stock! OCC 12-pack mini is back in stock!

http://www.sephora.com/lip-tar-all-star-mini-x-12-set-P383701?skuId=1549328

11.gif

I just barely resisted this. It was so recently that I ordered the 4-pk minis and at the same time I ordered the Tarte Pure Delights 8-Piece LipSurgenceâ„¢ Lip Set Pure Delights 8-Piece LipSurgenceâ„¢ Lip Set.

Are the Lip Tars similar to the Mirenesse Lip Bombs?

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lip Tars are not to be used on their own. They can be but these were designed to be mixed which is why Lip Tars are a favorite in the movie industry. You can use a clear gloss (OCC brand or any clear gloss) to mix Lip Tars into OR use a lip balm as a base to create your own "lipstick" or colored lip balm.

Similar to how MAC pigments work best when used with a creamy base or some kind of mixing medium?

I love the Lip Tar formula! To answer your questions: 1) The formula is more like a liquid lipstick, it goes on very smooth and dries down. It doesn't feel tacky. It feels similar to the way a matte lipstick feels, except these have a hint of shine. It only takes a few moments for the product to go from liquid to matte-feeling. 2) I've only tried one, in a lighter coral shade, and it lasted 2 hours, and then stained for another 2. I imagine darker shades give more wear time. 3) So yes, it did stain a bit. While this doesn't really look or feel much like a traditional lip gloss, if you want the shine to stick around, you'll have to reapply about every 2 hours.

I'd like to add that these have a nice mint scent and functional packaging (a little does go a long way). They're pigment rich, and pretty true to color. Also, while they feel similar to a matte formula, they're not too drying. Point is, I think they're great and would recommend them. Especially if you're getting a mini set, you may get more bang for your buck than trying just one of these at a time. So if you end up hating 'em, it won't be such a waste. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So, I was going to order some Lip Tars with my $20 off card from Sephora, but I can't find clear! Only the Primer. Am I going crazy?

Quote: Originally Posted by skylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So, I was going to order some Lip Tars with my $20 off card from Sephora, but I can't find clear! Only the Primer. Am I going crazy?
http://www.sephora.com/lip-tar-all-star-mini-x-12-set-P383701?skuId=1549328 - this is the only place I can find the clear!

Its great value though!

Thanks! Yeah, that's the only place I could fine it too (and vol. 3 I think?) 

I was totally going to get that one, but I really wanted to start with the neutrals trio and clear and after the damage I did on black friday I can't justify it all!! Lol. Gahh maybe I'll just get the Primer with the trio... 

These decisions are tough ones! 

Quote: Originally Posted by skylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thanks! Yeah, that's the only place I could fine it too (and vol. 3 I think?) 

I was totally going to get that one, but I really wanted to start with the neutrals trio and clear and after the damage I did on black friday I can't justify it all!! Lol. Gahh maybe I'll just get the Primer with the trio... 

These decisions are tough ones! 
Keep in mind though that mini tubes in my personal opinion are awesome as it takes forever to get through a tube...you use such a small amount each time and that the minis may not look neutral but you can pretty much make just about ANY color with them!  My daughter actually returned one of the pro sets as she was disappointed with the colors but she has the $20 mini set and loves it and thinks it will take her years to get through that set and I got her the 12 set of minis for her bday.  

If you read the reviews of the minis - many people claim that they will never go through a full tube in their lifetime lol - you literally need such a tiny amount to do you make up!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy them, whichever set you decide upon.

So personally I'm not a fan of the lip tars. I think they have beautiful pigmentation and unique colors but the formula just isn't working for me. I get some pretty bad feathering and a lot of transfer. Keep in mind almost NOTHING feathers on me. I only have one color which is Black Metal Dahlia. In addition to the feathering it seems prone to smearing on my teeth which I simply can't understand. I'm a huge fan of bold lipsticks and besides lip tars I literally never get lipstick on my teeth, It's like the ultimate bad product combo for me.

The only way I can get this to work is to 1. Apply Trish McEvoy Flawless lip to my lips, 2. Line my lips (I have a matching liner for Black Metal Dahlia since I have lipsticks in that color family) 3. Apply Lip tar and hope for the best.

However like I mentioned, the colors are amazing and they're definitely pigmented. I've been wearing BMD as a holiday lip with gold glitter daubed on my cupid's bow. I've gotten so many compliments on this look and it really is festive and captivating. If only the lip tar formula was better 
frown.gif
 Hopefully that helps!

[@]dhampir2005[/@] that looks BEAUTIFUL on you!!!! I love it! Have you tried using less product? I use the tiniest amount possible - when I open up the tube I take my brush and kinda wipe/"clean" whatever's sitting on the tube and I don't squeeze any more out if I can help it. I never have feathering!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@dhampir2005 that looks BEAUTIFUL on you!!!! I love it! Have you tried using less product? I use the tiniest amount possible - when I open up the tube I take my brush and kinda wipe/"clean" whatever's sitting on the tube and I don't squeeze any more out if I can help it. I never have feathering!
@usofjessamerica, Thank you! I have dabbled around with the amount of product used. I've tried the regular matte lip tars in store and it seems like you can use less product for full pigmentation. The problem with BMD is that it's metallic and if spread thinly it's kind of patchy. So it's like a catch-22. I want the coverage but I don't like the mess.

@dhampir2005 I LOVE the way you've done your lips - soooooo pretty!

Hope you can find a solution so that you can get the look without any mess!

Quote: Originally Posted by dhampir2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @usofjessamerica, Thank you! I have dabbled around with the amount of product used. I've tried the regular matte lip tars in store and it seems like you can use less product for full pigmentation. The problem with BMD is that it's metallic and if spread thinly it's kind of patchy. So it's like a catch-22. I want the coverage but I don't like the mess.
actually..that makes A LOT of sense why SUPER NSFW never looked quite right on me! 

@dhampir2005 I LOVE the way you've done your lips - soooooo pretty!

Hope you can find a solution so that you can get the look without any mess!
Thank you! For now I try to stick to drinking only social events. It's been working out pretty well 
wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  actually..that makes A LOT of sense why SUPER NSFW never looked quite right on me! 
Yeah, I think the metallic portion actually makes for a clumpier formula so unless you paint on two layers you tend to have patches. Oh well until I can find a dupe with something better I still love my "holiday" lip.

Back