Could someone explain lip tars to me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one of these last night, black metal Dahlia, and while I love the colour and it doesn't transfer or feather (I used a liner though) I wore it most of last night and all day today and I found it extremely drying, to the point where my lips actually started to hurt so bad. Last night I didn't use any balm or anything as a base but today I did, and it hurt less than last night but it still hurt. I can't give it up though, it's the most beautiful colour, but for some reason I still prefer the Sleek Makeup Pout Paints, they're not as drying, have awesome pigmentation and they're only $6.50, plus they seem to have more colours that I like better, with OCC the only colours I was interested in were the previous metals.

All lip tars contain peppermint oil which tends to be very drying. To combat that you can mix the lip tar with a bit of shea butter or applying a balm first then the lip tar.

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought one of these last night, black metal Dahlia, and while I love the colour and it doesn't transfer or feather (I used a liner though) I wore it most of last night and all day today and I found it extremely drying, to the point where my lips actually started to hurt so bad. Last night I didn't use any balm or anything as a base but today I did, and it hurt less than last night but it still hurt. I can't give it up though, it's the most beautiful colour, but for some reason I still prefer the Sleek Makeup Pout Paints, they're not as drying, have awesome pigmentation and they're only $6.50, plus they seem to have more colours that I like better, with OCC the only colours I was interested in were the previous metals.

Those look cool. Any down side?

The only downside (and this might just be my crap monitor) is the shades are a bit off from what's on the site, but like I said, dunno if it's my monitor or what. They last like forever and I've never had any feathering or anything like that, no transfer to teeth issues, they leave a nice stain too, and the texture isn't the same thick kind as the lip tar, it's really like a watercolour paint texture, though not runny or anything. And honestly for the price I can afford to go a little wrong in colour. Other than the metallics, I find the OCC ones to be kind of overwhelming if that makes sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only downside (and this might just be my crap monitor) is the shades are a bit off from what's on the site, but like I said, dunno if it's my monitor or what. They last like forever and I've never had any feathering or anything like that, no transfer to teeth issues, they leave a nice stain too, and the texture isn't the same thick kind as the lip tar, it's really like a watercolour paint texture, though not runny or anything. And honestly for the price I can afford to go a little wrong in colour. Other than the metallics, I find the OCC ones to be kind of overwhelming if that makes sense.
Thanks for the input. I may try them in the future. They are meant for mixing as well, so you could always play with the color till you get what you want. I wonder how the Lip Tars would be mixed with the Pout Paints? (Tiny dabs, of course.)

Thanks for the input. I may try them in the future. They are meant for mixing as well, so you could always play with the color till you get what you want. I wonder how the Lip Tars would be mixed with the Pout Paints? (Tiny dabs, of course.)
Haha! Great minds think alike. That was my thought earlier, I only have the one lip tar, but I have about four pout paints, I plan to conduct that experiment tomorrow. Let you know how it turns out.

Sleek Pout Paint are not vegan safe. From their website:

Quote: Polyisobutane, Polybutene, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Beeswax, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Butylated Hydroxy Anisole, Glycol Distearate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcic (Sweet Almond) Oil, Octyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalene, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin and Fragrance. May contain: Titanium dioxide. Suitable for vegetarians. Not suitable for vegans..

OCC Lip Tars:

Quote: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Oil, Mentha X Peprita (Peppermint) Oil, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Stearalkonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate

May Contain: Silica Dimethyl Silylate, D&C Red #6, D&C Red #7, D&C Red #27, D&C Red #30, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Yellow #6, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

What they have in common:

• Castor Seed Oil
  • Vitamin E
  • Titanium Dioxide

Will these mix? Most likely. I don't see any reason why you can't mix Sleek's Pout Paint with OCC's Lip Tars.

typo

Sleek Pout Paint are not vegan safe. From their website:
Polyisobutane, Polybutene, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Beeswax, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Butylated Hydroxy Anisole, Glycol Distearate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcic (Sweet Almond) Oil, Octyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalene, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin and Fragrance. May contain: Titanium dioxide. Suitable for vegetarians. Not suitable for vegans..
OCC Lip Tars: What they have in common:
  • Castor Seed Oil
  • Vitamin E
  • Titanium Dioxide
Will these mix? Most likely. I don't see any reason why you can't mix Sleek's Pout Paint with OCC's Lip Tars. typo
I mixed my Mauve Over pout paint with the black Dahlia, gave me a nice orchid shade with goldish glitter, it didn't match my eye look so I'm not wearing it right now. I don't really care about vegan/non-vegan products so it's not an issue for me.

Strumpet + Rhythm box = best combo ever rhythm box pumps up the otherwise already gorgeous Strumpet Here's some goofy pics!

@usofjessamerica  - SOOOOO pretty!

@Prtylitlesyko - hmmmmm I think I want to check out pout paints now...any chance you could take a pic of the mix you had on - it sounds gorgeous!

[@]dancersmum[/@] Yeah, I'll do it tomorrow and post it, I'm not working tomorrow so I can be an individual. Yay Starbucks!

Quote: Originally Posted by dancersmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Prtylitlesyko - hmmmmm I think I want to check out pout paints now...any chance you could take a pic of the mix you had on - it sounds gorgeous!
Here ya go! Now, it looks pretty (i think anyway) but it doesn't feel pretty and transfer is a b*&ch! The textures of the two don't seem to mix well. The texture of the OCC is really thick and kind of tacky, whereas the Pout Paint is very liquidy at first, but dries matte and doesn't budge. I'm thinking the consistency of the OCC is stopping the Sleek from drying as it normally would, so it's slip and slide on my lips right now, I can also now feel the glitter of the OCC on my lips. I don't know if the regular lips tars would behave the same way if mixed with the pout paints, but I don't think the precious metals is a good mix. Pretty together though.

It's very pretty but I'm not liking the way you say it feels!! Think pout paints may be worth looking at though.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Strumpet + Rhythm box = best combo ever
rhythm box pumps up the otherwise already gorgeous Strumpet

Here's some goofy pics!

Pretty!

Quote: Originally Posted by dancersmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here ya go! Now, it looks pretty (i think anyway) but it doesn't feel pretty and transfer is a b*&ch! The textures of the two don't seem to mix well. The texture of the OCC is really thick and kind of tacky, whereas the Pout Paint is very liquidy at first, but dries matte and doesn't budge. I'm thinking the consistency of the OCC is stopping the Sleek from drying as it normally would, so it's slip and slide on my lips right now, I can also now feel the glitter of the OCC on my lips. I don't know if the regular lips tars would behave the same way if mixed with the pout paints, but I don't think the precious metals is a good mix. Pretty together though.

That's a great color on you, sorry mixing the two products didn't work out for you.

I picked up another Lip Tar today, a matte one, Stalker, I meant to pick up Role Play but the dang labelling is so tiny and Sephora so creepy mood lighting dark that I walked out with the wrong thing and I just couldn't brave the traffic to go back out there. Anywhoo, this one mixed much much better with the Sleek Pout Paint and both dried matte and stayed put, so I do think it was the consistency of the metallic that caused all the ruckus before, the matte LT is much closer in consistency to the PP.

I picked up another Lip Tar today, a matte one, Stalker, I meant to pick up Role Play but the dang labelling is so tiny and Sephora so creepy mood lighting dark that I walked out with the wrong thing and I just couldn't brave the traffic to go back out there. Anywhoo, this one mixed much much better with the Sleek Pout Paint and both dried matte and stayed put, so I do think it was the consistency of the metallic that caused all the ruckus before, the matte LT is much closer in consistency to the PP.
That's cool. Please share a photo of Stalker if you get a chance.

I'll do it tomorrow, I plan to wear it all day to see if I have the same painful lip reaction I had the first one, I really hope I don't.

Quote: Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As requested, me wearing stalker. One of the reasons that I had initially wanted to take it back was because in the tube it looks like a cool toned red, but low and behold as I was applying it to my lips it warmed up to the colour that you see here, I think I'll keep it. I did also mix it with the black metal Dahlia to create a deeper, more rocking red for my sister's Christmas party tonight, and I wound up with the same issues that I had with mixing it with the pout paint, it doesn't set very well and transfers like crazy. I did manage to wear Stalker for most of the day and didn't have any transfer or overdrying/pain issues like I did with the metallic, so it seems as if, 1) the metallics aren't so good for mixing unless maybe it's another metallic? And 2) they have a much higher peppermint oil content than the regular lip tars, in fact, the peppermint smell was nowhere near as strong with Stalker, but mixing them together did eliminate the dry/overdry lips. 

Latest posts

Back