Covering dark circles..HELP PLEASE!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drink lots of water - hydration

Sleep obviously

And concealer. I use Maybelline Fit Me concealer for my under eye circles. I'm Indian so it's hereditary for me too.

Drink lots of water - hydration

Sleep obviously

And concealer. I use Maybelline Fit Me concealer for my under eye circles. I'm Indian so it's hereditary for me too.
And it won't look bad if I only use the concealer and no other make up?

The bare minerals creamy concealer is AMAZING at covering mine by itself. Amazing. But it also matches my skin perfectly so that helps a ton. That's my standard leaving the house makeup concealer.

If I'm going out and I need to be impressive.. I start with benefit erase paste (only under eyes) because it is VERY brightening. Then I put foundation on my entire face. Follow that up with my bare minerals concealer under by eyes. Set it all with matte powder. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you certain that you don't have allergies?  The same with your family.  They often call black circles allergic shiners. 

You could also just have deep set eyes which is more common in folks with slavic heritage.  They may appear darker because they are deeper. So using a color corrector concealor would help this. Some eye creams have what is called "illuminating pearl".

In my youth, I just used a tidge of baby powder under my eyes.  Same principle as the illuminating pearl if you think about it. But better on the pocket book for a youngster.  Baby powder is also great for higlighting certain face features.  Such as making your nose look less narrow etc...

You have to read this article, but here is a picture that shows the affects of proper hydration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2480491/How-drinking-litres-water-day-took-years-face.html

Drinking three litres of water a day took TEN YEARS off my face: Sarah, 42, was hoping to solve her headaches and poor digestion... just look what else happened
water.jpg

PS. Perlabella hyaluronic acid ampules keep your skin more hydrated also. Which gives a similar affect without drinking extra water. I am 51 and my skin looks more like the picture on the right.

Maybe you should first think about reason why you have it.

You said it is hereditary but there are many ways to fix it i think.

I searched on the internet and if it hereditary like you said people

usually advise to use poultice with infusions of herbs and slices of cucumber.

It is better to eliminate reason first or even try to do it. 

I know you asked about makeup so sorry for that advice

but i hope you will try to fight with this that way too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

More of ways ive found:

- vitamin deficiency

- poultice of chamomile

- fitness and physical activity

Go to your local Sephora and ask for some correctors to be used under your eyes. See which one you like best and get it, along with the instant age rewind (I think?) by Maybelline in brightening. While you are at Sephora ask for some samples of eye creams so you can see which one you like the best, make sure you get one for day and night. You will also need to get a yellow-based eyeshadow or powder to set your concealers. Good luck!

P.S. I do not wear foundation, but I make sure to add the brightening concealer after the corrector so it does not look weird :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok, so I'm currently in the market for a good concealer (for under eye area and blemishes), as well as an illuminator and a waterproof eyebrow gel.

I feel like my fall beauty game can be elevated if I get my concealer-illuminator-brows of envy thing down pat.

So, here's the problem:

I've been researching best concealers for a while now, and I've tested out many many many of the cult favorites in Sephoras and Ultas in my area. I just can't find one that I like.

So, what's my problem?

I can't stand cakiness. If it's opaque enough to please me, it's cakey.

Stickiness. If it's sticky and needs setting with powder, it's too high-maintenance.

Sheerness- I don't want to keep piling it on, but I also don't want it to look too stark on its own- I like wearing concealer without a full face of foundation and powder, so this is key.

Wrong shade- this happens a lot. Either it's too pink, too orange, too yellow, to white..... just too something.

Tests on animals- I don't want my concealer's ingredients to be tested on animals if I can help it.

Maybe I'm just too picky!

What do I want?

Something in the right shade to offset purple/blue under eye circles and cover pimples (without being too orange on the pimples), that is medium coverage with a blendable formula that sets to a non-sticky finish.

Anybody got any concealers they want to rave about to me?

I've tried the following and dislike the following for various reasons:

Tarte Smooth Operator waterproof concealer (Too cakey, wrong shade)

Tarte Maracuja creasless (Too sticky)

IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye (Way too sticky)

Benefit Erase Paste (Too cakey, wrong shade, tests on animals)

Benefit Boi-ing (Wrong shade, not enough coverage, tests on animals)

Benefit Fake Up (tests on animals)

e.l.f. concealer stick (Wrong shade)

Wet 'n' Wild concealer stick (Wrong shade)

Nars Radiant Creamy concealer (Ok, but not perfect)

Loreal YSL touche eclat dupe (Wrong shade, tests on animals)

YSL touche eclat (too expensive, tests on animals)

MUFE concealer - 2 different versions: full cover and hd invisble (tests on animals, too heavy)

Juice Beauty concealer (wrong shade)

Maybelline Fit Me concealer (test on animals)

Aloette conceal away duo (decent, but wrong shade)

Josie Maran concealer stick (wrong shade)

Amazing Cosmetics (tests on animals)

Stila concealer (awesome but they test on animals)

Too Faced concealer (wrong shade)

Am I too picky?

If so, maybe you could give me tips on using the ones I say are too sticky. How do you use them without that being an issue?

And what about the ones that are cakey? Is there a trick to getting those to work?

What should I try next? I'm leaning towards:

BareMinerals

Hourglass

Becca

The Balm

Do those sound good?

I am guessing that the brands you listed as "wrong shade" didn't come in or didn't offer the correct shade that you were looking for???

Under eye concealers aren't meant to cover pimples \ blemishes... (In pimples, I am guessing you mean acne???) Pimples are in the red to pale red / pink end of the colour spectrum and under eye discolourations are in the blue \ purple end of it... Two completely different colour ranges. Which means two different product solutions.

Also, cremes and liquids need to be set with a powder, if they aren't, they will crease, smudge, melt, etc.

All the brands you listed are medium / low-end street lines that give ok results. Here are a few professional brands that will fit most of your criteria and will give you the best results:

Eve Pearl, Joe Blasco, Cover F/X, Dermablend, RCMA, Kryolan's Dermacolor line, Face Atelier, and Graftobian. You will definitely find something here. 

Good Luck!

I don't think Urban Decay tests on animals? They have a 24/7 concealer pencil that I like, and it comes in a wide range of colors. If your skin is dry, it might be too dry to use under your eyes. You do have to sharpen it occasionally.

I like the concealer from TheBalm, and was surprised they had a color that (mostly) matched because there aren't a ton of options. The packaging of the concealer itself leaves a lot to be desired. It's in a little clear plastic pot with a clear lid, and it sounds like a lot of people have trouble with the plastic breaking, though mine has held up so far. I'd hold out for one of TheBalm's sales or purchase on Hautelook, as they do both frequently.

I am guessing that the brands you listed as "wrong shade" didn't come in or didn't offer the correct shade that you were looking for???

Under eye concealers aren't meant to cover pimples \ blemishes... (In pimples, I am guessing you mean acne???) Pimples are in the red to pale red / pink end of the colour spectrum and under eye discolourations are in the blue \ purple end of it... Two completely different colour ranges. Which means two different product solutions.

Also, cremes and liquids need to be set with a powder, if they aren't, they will crease, smudge, melt, etc.

All the brands you listed are medium / low-end street lines that give ok results. Here are a few professional brands that will fit most of your criteria and will give you the best results:

Eve Pearl, Joe Blasco, Cover F/X, Dermablend, RCMA, Kryolan's Dermacolor line, Face Atelier, and Graftobian. You will definitely find something here. 

Good Luck!
Hello vogueboy! I always love reading replies from you because I know they will be tremendously informative. We really value your professional opinion here, I just wanted to tell you that.

You know, I've never even really considered the professional brands, but I think I'll have to check out Dermablend, and Cover F/X. I have also heard lots of things about Kryolan so maybe I can order them and see how they work for me.

Guess I'll have to buy two concealers- one for under eye, and one for blemishes. I wish there was one that would work for both and not need setting, but I guess it's too much to hope for, hehe.

Hmm... maybe I should start using a brush instead of my fingers... maybe that's one of my issues? Damn, I just have always used my fingers to blend the product as I felt like they helped melt it a bit, but maybe I apply too much and can't blend fast enough with that method?

I don't think Urban Decay tests on animals? They have a 24/7 concealer pencil that I like, and it comes in a wide range of colors. If your skin is dry, it might be too dry to use under your eyes. You do have to sharpen it occasionally.

I like the concealer from TheBalm, and was surprised they had a color that (mostly) matched because there aren't a ton of options. The packaging of the concealer itself leaves a lot to be desired. It's in a little clear plastic pot with a clear lid, and it sounds like a lot of people have trouble with the plastic breaking, though mine has held up so far. I'd hold out for one of TheBalm's sales or purchase on Hautelook, as they do both frequently.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I totally forgot about Urban Decay having a concealer! I should try that out next time I'm at Sephora/Ulta!

I may give TheBalm a try- I think they might have testers at Khol's but I'm not positive. May be worth a try if I find it cheap on Hautelook.

I see you're a fan of Rouge Bunny Rouge- do they have a concealer? I'm open to indie options too!

I always run into this problem too. No matter what the concealer it always creases under my eyes but then again I have extremely oily skin too. I've finally gave up and just make sure I apply the least amount of concealer under the line of my eyes and use a completely drier different concealer for my blemishes. I focus a lot more on highlighting the inner corners of my eyes to open them up and relying less on concealers.

I see you're a fan of Rouge Bunny Rouge- do they have a concealer? I'm open to indie options too!
I only own one product by them at the moment, although it is lovely (a blush in Gracilis), but I'm hoping to purchase more as my budget allows. Mostly, I just love their logo with the coat of arms and striding bunny rabbits.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hello vogueboy! I always love reading replies from you because I know they will be tremendously informative. We really value your professional opinion here, I just wanted to tell you that.

You know, I've never even really considered the professional brands, but I think I'll have to check out Dermablend, and Cover F/X. I have also heard lots of things about Kryolan so maybe I can order them and see how they work for me.

Guess I'll have to buy two concealers- one for under eye, and one for blemishes. I wish there was one that would work for both and not need setting, but I guess it's too much to hope for, hehe.

Hmm... maybe I should start using a brush instead of my fingers... maybe that's one of my issues? Damn, I just have always used my fingers to blend the product as I felt like they helped melt it a bit, but maybe I apply too much and can't blend fast enough with that method?

Thanks so much for the feedback! I totally forgot about Urban Decay having a concealer! I should try that out next time I'm at Sephora/Ulta!

I may give TheBalm a try- I think they might have testers at Khol's but I'm not positive. May be worth a try if I find it cheap on Hautelook.

Joe Blasco raves on about how his products are animal cruelty free and about his medical grade foundation formulas on his MUAtv station that is filmed and broadcast from one of his make-up schools. (The man's got clout in Hollywood, as he was a big time film MUA there since the 40's - 70's... Now he has his product line, his tv station, and runs two make-up schools.) Anyhooo check out his site for his product line. See what you think...

As for concealing blemishes, acne, just use foundation (creme works best) and powder. It will be a layering process, (2 - 3 times).

I think(???) I gave a long worded 'how-to' on here on one of the concealer threads... Just use the search bar to narrow it down. I admit a video tutorial would be easier to show and explain rather than just a worded" how-to" explanation...  :blabla: I know... One day...

Yeah brushes work best, especially when concealing, it's because of the formulations are different than in foundations. You end up breaking down the opacity of the concealer immediately when you use your fingers instead of a concealer brush. Foundation formulas are a bit more forgiving when you use fingers, but definitely not recommended as the 'breakdown' and 'hygienic' factors come into play here after about an hour or so.

With this new info, perhaps you can revisit your unsuccessful concealer attempts and see if you notice anything different... 

HTH!

I'm on the hunt for a new concealer. I was almost certain I wanted to buy the 'Radiant Creamy Concealer' by Nars, but unfortunately Sephora in Denmark only has a range of 6 shades and none of them fit me that well. 

Please let me know what your favorite concealers are!

Also, after hearing a lot of different opinions on this, I'll have to ask you guys. Should a concealer match my skin tone or be lighter? I've always bought mine lighter, but recently I've heard some people say it'll just highlight dark circles. What do you think?  

I'm on the hunt for a new concealer. I was almost certain I wanted to buy the 'Radiant Creamy Concealer' by Nars, but unfortunately Sephora in Denmark only has a range of 6 shades and none of them fit me that well. 

Please let me know what your favorite concealers are!

Also, after hearing a lot of different opinions on this, I'll have to ask you guys. Should a concealer match my skin tone or be lighter? I've always bought mine lighter, but recently I've heard some people say it'll just highlight dark circles. What do you think?  
If you have blue/purple hues for your eye circles, use a peach/salmon concealer. If you like a brightening effect too, then put a highlighter shade (Click pen, or lighter than your skin color), over the peach/salmon concealer. Set with a pale yellow powder. Good luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have dark circles too! I like benefits booing, but in summer my skins oilier, so it creased. The concealers by LA minerals stay put and don't crease or settle. Matter of fact I have to use makeup remover to get it off.

I use the yellow one, then put the one that matches my skin the over it. I think mine is bisque.

Have you ever been tested for or experienced allergies? "allergic shiners" Treating allergies could rid you of this issue.

Also, some nationalities have deeper set eyes and not actual dark circles. When I was young, I used baby powder under my eyes. (Not a whole lot.) It is actually a bit illuminating.

Doesn't loreal make a "blur" concealor? I would imagine that would be ample for a young woman. And would be easier on your pocketbook. You could even combine this with the baby powder on top, once it dries, if it still isn't enough. This is the very technique to cover a nasty pimple. So imagine what it would do for dark circles?

Uhm could we see a picture of your dark circles? the thing with corrective concealer is that it is very specific. Use yellow to counteract blueish dark circles, use salmony beige (or pinkish corrector) to counteract brown ones :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Also, only apply it to the area where that exact color is located. if you also apply it onto skin that is normal toned it won't work as well. After applying it use a flesh toned concealer and foundation and you should be better :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> For the flesh toned concealer you could use one that's a shade lighter than your own and place it in a triangle that goes from the inner corner of the eye to the bridge of the nose and then up to the temple. Blend it well on the edges and make sure not to move too much the corrector underneath. I hope it helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Back