Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-10 goals: 1: OFFICE OFFICE OFFICE it shouldn't take me 10 days to do it so no excuses

2:eek:rganize, edit, watermark current photos

3: Finish my gift for @@dancersmum she sent me and Z an amazing gift tht got here before thanksgiving and I've been working on hers (I have a craft item that keeps getting pushed to the bottomm of my to-do list) fro the past 2 months but it needs to get sent.

hmmm 1 of 3 is kinda disappointing. I worked on my office and my bedroom, I organized a few of my photos, but I did finish #3. There was things i didnt plan for like Z getting sick but I really should have been able to do at least 2/3.

I didn't buy anything in the past 10 days, so it's been a success for me, so far. I set some goals to come up with project pan items and focus on them, but I haven't really done too much on that front because I've been pretty busy, but that's ok with me.

• Paint my nails at least once.  Why have a bunch of nail polish if it's not being used?
  • Use a facial mask twice.
  • Use up 5 products, foils are okay.  I finished off a face wash deluxe sample yesterday so only 4 more to go.
  • Read one book.  I also signed up on goodreads for their book challenge.  My goal for the year is 52 books.  It's a lot for me but I'll go through at least a dozen when I go on vacation later this year.
  • Read and trash one magazine.  They're starting to stack up.
  • Watch at least one youtube tutorial video to learn how to use the stuff I already have better.
Yay, I met my goals for the first 10 days.  I bought two of my exceptions but nothing else.  I ended up with 10 empties; way better than expected.  Maybe I will make it to 100 empties by the end of the 100 days?  Other things that I did that I found helpful:

• Sharpen all my eyeliners.  I forgot who suggested this but it was a good idea.  Plus I identified 3 eyeliners I'm close to finishing off so I'm going to focus on them for a while.  Hopefully I'll finish off my first eyeliner before the 100 days is over.
  • Sometimes I hesitate to use a sample because what if I need it for a trip?  So I packed my toiletries bag for my vacation coming up in May, that way everything else is fair game.  No excuses to not use anything now.

What I did well:

• sorted socks 
  • cleaned bathroom and kitchen (deep cleaning stove-top and such)
  • cleaned the dog room and assembled a shelving unit to replace a piece of furniture I'm selling
  • picked lots of products from my stash to try (I used a LOT of those masks this week)
  • trashed 10+ items that were old and just taking up space in my shower/bath
  • socialized with friends
  • made it to the store for mom twice, got her mail every other day, took her dinners
  • found my missing checks!
For the next 10 days I'll work on getting more of my house under control and depending on the ice storm tonight, I may have extra time to do this.  Again.
HOW COULD I FORGET?  I also FOUND my house key that had been missing for 2.5 years!!   Had I found it way back when I would have saved myself from driving across Indy w/o wearing pants!  

Yeah, not my finest moment, but my dentist's office thinks it was the best excuse EVER for missing an appointment.  Thank goodness my neighbors were out leaving for vacation when my dogs locked me out.  I was able to use their cell phone to tell mom I was headed her way to get a key.  I could get in the garage (car keys were in there) but that required walking around my house sans pants.  

Posting my empties for days 1-10 to give me motivation to keep going!

empties.jpg

Plus toothpaste, deodorant, and a bottle of Bumble and Bumble Defrizz. Found some things I liked and some I didn't, but mostly just reduced my stash by a little bit.

Yay, I met my goals for the first 10 days.  I bought two of my exceptions but nothing else.  I ended up with 10 empties; way better than expected.  Maybe I will make it to 100 empties by the end of the 100 days?  Other things that I did that I found helpful:

• Sharpen all my eyeliners.  I forgot who suggested this but it was a good idea.  Plus I identified 3 eyeliners I'm close to finishing off so I'm going to focus on them for a while.  Hopefully I'll finish off my first eyeliner before the 100 days is over.
  • Sometimes I hesitate to use a sample because what if I need it for a trip?  So I packed my toiletries bag for my vacation coming up in May, that way everything else is fair game.  No excuses to not use anything now.
I tend to horde my samples because they are perfect for travel. But I have so many at this point that it's ridiculous. I really need to use them because I'm never going to travel that much. Plus, I'm always getting more, so even if I use everything up and then plan a trip, I'll be fine. And I can always buy refillable travel containers to use.

Love the idea to set some mini goals for this first set of 10 days! Here are mine:

• Set up my monthly budget. I used to be really good about this, but I fell off the bandwagon during the holiday season, basically saying oh whatever we spend on gifts will work out. Well, lucky for us we have enough cushion that things were fine, but I certainly feel more secure having set limits! And since one of my goals for this whole thing is to start to reel back all of my spending, not just makeup, I think this will help. Check--done!
  • Start tracking my spending again. Again, something I used to have a really good habit of doing, but definitely went by the wayside in the last 3 months of the year. Started to do this but need to catch up on this weekend's purchases...no makeup but ate out too much!
  • Put the holiday decorations away. Admittedly this is more of a personal goal than anything related to makeup, but I think it will actually be helpful to get out of the holiday mindset and into the fresh "new year" mindset! Got this done! Still working on getting the house back into a clean and organized state but baby steps!
  • Do an at-home "spa" night. I'm going to actually slate it on my calendar for Sunday! Nails, bath, and face mask! Did this it was nice!
  • And of course, don't buy any makeup! I guess this one could probably go unsaid. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Did it woohoo!
And my reward for getting through the first 10 days will be getting one month of Hulu plus. I know that is spending money ($8), but I don't mind it so much since it is a "consumable" and not more STUFF that accumulates in my house. I have a few shows that I want to catch up on (and that my primetime on demand no longer has) that I can catch up on with one month of Hulu Plus (and then cancel!). 
Oops, sorry I know we moved over to the other thread, but above in red is how I did on my goals for the first 10 days!

Posting my empties for days 1-10 to give me motivation to keep going!

empties.jpg

Plus toothpaste, deodorant, and a bottle of Bumble and Bumble Defrizz. Found some things I liked and some I didn't, but mostly just reduced my stash by a little bit.
I have one of those Anastasia brow foil things too, are the colors very dark?  I have light colored hair, so I don't want anything too dark.

I have one of those Anastasia brow foil things too, are the colors very dark?  I have light colored hair, so I don't want anything too dark.
The lighter side would probably work for you but the dark side might be too dark. I have dark brown hair and I prefer the darker side but it's not super dark.

My plans for the first ten days are to finish organizing my stash, to do a full inventory, and to think about just these ten days instead of panicking over the whole 100. It's just ten days. Just ten.

When I do my inventory, I'll be able to figure out if it makes more sense to try every product at least once (nail polish!) or just stick to one item and try to empty it (shampoo samples?).My birchbox/gap $10 coupon is only good til the 14th, so that will make a good first ten reward, and if I don't make it then tough cookies. Also since I'll have to report whatever I get from the gap back here, I know I can't get anything too pricey. Ideally $0-5 out of pocket.
My stash is sorted and inventoried, but I still need to put it away. Like I have all my hair stuff in a box, and my hand lotions in a different box, etc., and there's just a bunch of boxes under my desk now. I didn't buy anything during days 1-10, and on day 11, I spent a whopping 85 cents out of pocket when I redeemed my Birchbox/Gap coupon. And the things that I bought are basic things that I KNOW will get worn frequently. Super success, so far!

While doing the inventory, I've realized that a project pan isn't what I need, nor is a try-everything-at-least-once. I have so many fun cosmetics that limiting myself to just one palette (or whatev) will take away a lot of the fun for me. And while I need to try the dozens of indie samples I've acquired, I shouldn't feel bad about repeating a good standby look when I'm crunched for time. I've just been using the great products I have instead of looking up swatches of things I wish I had. I do have a lot of foils, and I hate having foils. I don't even like them for traveling, I prefer deluxe samples that are resealable. I've joined the 100 empties in 100 days thread and am trying to use up as many items as I can, focusing on foils and products that are already open.

Now, on to the Second Ten thread (days 11-20)!

Day 9 perfume sample: Prada Candy. I liked it!

Day 10 perfume sample: Replica Beachwalk. It was good....more suited for spring/summer though. 

This weekend I went through my closet and turned all my hangers around, and put a straight pin in the collars of some folded shirts that I like, but don't know if I actually wear that often. I managed to get rid of a few things as well (including some belts).

I hit all my goals!  I did end up making a purchase, but it was not an impulse buy (which I am ok with). I canceled my Birchbox and cashed out my points for an item that I have wanted from there for a long time, but never seemed to be in stock. 

Good job everyone for making through the first 10 days!

Hey Everyone!

The first three days have been ok. My hubby had previously planned a trip to Buffalo for a few days (I'm from Toronto) to do some shopping and celebrate my birthday (which is actually next week). For my birthday I set aside $100 to spend on anything I wanted so naturally I decided to go to Sephora. I bought 4 items for a total of $121.80. Sigh... $21.80 over budget.
Sorry for the late reply! During the first 10 days I think I did really well. My total spending from Day 1-10 was $21.80 as posted above.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Since I'm in the first 10 days of my no-buy, I'm going to start in this thread. My goals for the next week are:

1. Edit my poetry.

2. Organize my closets.

3. Work on my spending plan.

I just purchased over $200 dollars of Korean skincare and makeup items (mostly skincare) in less than a week. I need to slow down a little especially since I need to use up this product which has not yet arrived. That is one of the main problems, when it hasn't arrived yet I just keep shopping because time not use applying stuff to face is time used shopping, jk, but seriously not having the product arrived I just keep looking.

I still have tons of stuff to use up, especially facewashes. I have like 10+ drug store brand face washes, neutrogena, clearsil, you name it. One of the reasons I end up with so many is because I start using one and it seems meh and then I buy another which is also meh and so it continues. I really don't want to waste it and throw it out and I have so many I just kind of rotate which ones I used on a different date. I kinda want to use up at least 1 of the face washes before my korean ones come in ( I have 3 coming in -.-).

So I am attempting to do the no buy, but im really helpless against good sales. I keep thinking what if a really good memebox skincare box came out. >.< my will is weak help me.

Starting now 3/8 1:20 am is day 1 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
@ That is awesome! It is really fun to get Meme and other Korean things. I got a lot last summer. I still have things from the Whole Grain Box, Office Essentials Box, and Hair and Body Box to use up. Plus stuff from Beauteque. What an awesome idea, since it takes a while to get Memeboxes in, that you can use something up while waiting. Even if you do a no buy, and if a really good Memebox comes that you want a lot, you can get it and then just go back on no buy. I wish you luck and I hope you let us know about how you are doing. 

Back