Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm twitchy. I want to buy. I want to look, and I have looked, and I could feel myself become literally twitchy. My legs and feet started to move, and I felt that rush. But I can't. I want to pay off my discover card by end of February. I did receive my hello waffle sub box today and excited to switch out my it cosmetics palette for new colors. I have officially used every color in that palette at least once. I've also found that I'm lazy in the mornings and tend to use the same thing in the bathroom...so now I'm just switching stuff out once a week.

The hubby did say he will buy me a lipstick. Our finances are separate still at this point. It's like buying me flowers-something to spoil me. I will order online so it's less of a temptation-because I'll be using his money. However, when he said that, I immediately went and found what I wanted.

I haven't spent any $$ on make up or skincare. It's still a success. But I'm twitchy today.

Yeah, I almost broke today. I really, really, really wanted to buy things. It's cold. Work sucked. Online shopping is the perfect cure!

I DID shop, but I stuck to my rules & only shopped for the girl I have in a Valentine's Day exchange. Nothing for me! So I got my fix but didn't technically break the no-buy :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did an awful lot of work this week - I would say I about doubled the productivity.

I think my focus at work is higher now. I never shopped online at work, but I used to daydream about it, and would make lists of beauty items sometimes as a break when I was bored!

Well I thought I would do my update now since I'm going out and won't be back until midnight with no opportunity to shop. Did very good today, while I did kind of lament not having date friendly lip options I used my many eyeshadows already in existence to create an eye heavy look instead.

This was a really interesting lesson in where I have holes in my collection, but also that I don't necessarily NEED anything. Adding more kiss proof lippies might be something I do in the future, but not until I've met some of the other goals of where I want my stash to be.

@@jaylilee it's like Dave Ramsey method for makeup... use up the small stuff first!!  :rotfl:
Or the FOIL method from math: Foils, Minis, Deluxe, Full Size Not as snazzy or memorable as the FOIL method but you get the idea!

Day 9: Happy Friday all!  Can't believe we are to the end of the first 10 days!  This time has flown by (which is a good and bad thing!)  I am mentally and physically exhausted and trying to work up energy to go to the gym so no temptation for me.  I find it satisfying that I can particpate in Enablers, Sephora threads, get emails and still browse the sites and find NOTHING I want to buy!

This weekend will be a challenge as I have to go to Ulta to return something (getting store credit as it is past 60 days sigh) but the other parts of the weekend will be fun: dinner with husband, wine tasting, house projects.

Congrats to all of this week!  Hope everyone has a productive, non makeup buying weekend!

And now you can actually see what pillows you have (vs. them being jammed in trash bags)! It will make it easier to choose if you decide that you want to swap some of your other pillows out. 
@@ChemLady that's right!  I need to be better about using these pillows but every time I put one on a couch or a bed one of my kids (little boys) tosses it to the ground or hits his brother with it or it ends up in a completely different room.  Now that they're a bit older I might try again!

@@missionista I LOVE my closets, it's one of the things I really wanted in a house. It's my dream!  Now that I have my master bedroom one clean I'll post a few pics of that in the next thread! 

Ladies, we're almost done with the first 10 days!  The only thing I bought was my one exception item, so I feel really good about myself!  In a sense, I'm afraid that I've switched my obsession with makeup/beauty stuff to an obsession with storage/organization stuff, but honestly, it's a much better obsession!  And I promise to stop once I have everything organized (which means I'LL NEVER STOP.  AHAHAHA!!!)

Ahem.  Kidding.  

I made some progress on my organizing. I slapped on a face mask and ventured into the spare room where I have been keeping things out of sight out of mine during the holidays. If you want a picture, it's a dead ringer for the Room of Requirement from Harry Potter. I cleared out a bunch of stuff and put things into related piles. I can walk through there now without tripping over stuff. My plan is to spend some more time in there tomorrow,

I'll bust out one of my Christmas gift sets on Sunday as my 10 day reward!

Another day down! Today I organized all of my perfume samples. I'm super picky when it comes to perfumes, so I don't even know why I keep getting samples. I pulled one of each out and put them in a bowl on my dresser (dupes are still put away). I'm going to use them to see how I like them. If I like it, I need to use it. If I hate it, it goes in the trash!

I'm getting a pretty good amount of empties already. My goal is to get through an eye cream, my UDPP (it's almost empty but it keeps hanging on), and as much Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hair Spray (I've never bought this but they love to send it in GWPs so I have gallons of it) as I can before the end of the 100 days.

By not letting myself buy everything I want, I'm forcing myself to use what I have. I've found I'm getting more creative with my makeup and am remembering how much I love certain products. This challenge has been really good for me so far!

Had a big temptation today for something that I had a discount for, and fit criteria for both my allowed and not allowed things! It was a difficult decision, but I added it to my wishlist and emptied my cart instead of buying! And instead I went and bought something for a gift that's allowed per my rules. Got my shopping in, but for someone else, so I'll just keep the free samples I'll get with the order. Didn't do my makeup today, but I used a perfume I hadn't tried yet, and maybe I'll do a mask tonight.

I dropped a subscription box today and pick up a much cheaper one in its place. I think most of the fun is just getting something in the mail & looking out for spoilers, etc. So, my rules are I can add a sub if I drop one and now my newer one is cheaper so win-win. Also, I am getting the BB Vanity Affair box tomorrow. I almost forgot about it! My Mom asked me over a month ago what I wanted for my b-day and I picked the Vanity Affair box. This weekend is my b-day so the Vanity Affair box will be nice treat to get me through this no-buy.

Last weekend, I purchased an acrylic organizer to put my "Monday Club" make up in. It looks so much nicer than the makeup bag that I would normally use, however, I notice that my problem now is that sometimes I forget to use certain makeup items, lol. I've forgotten to do my brows two days this week and yesterday, it took me until about noon to realize that I forgot mascara. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my eyes, lol. Fortunately, I keep a sample mascara in my purse...which really needs to be pitched since it's been in there for over a year. Only been used a couple of times, though. Anyway...I digress. By dumping all of the makeup into the sink (old method), I would use it all, because I was physically touching it by removing it from the sink and putting it back in the bag. I just need to get into a better routine and pay attention so that I can remember everything.
Have you thought about emptying the organizer each morning into the sink, and putting things back where they belong once you're done for the morning?

I have one of those Caboodle boxes for my makeup in the morning.  But I keep it super organized.  The top tray is for eyeliners and brushes, the second tray is for my mascara, primer, pencil sharpener, usually my concealer is there too (but it's running out, so I have to keep it upright), plus whatever I'm into at the moment (right now it's my Mac compact and my benefit tint mini's).  In the bottom is my eyeshadow palettes, a bag full of single eyeshadows, bb creams, more blushes, some eyeshadow trios, and a lip balm.  My Mom always asks me how I keep my purse and makeup box so organized (the hint is that if I keep it organized, the more stuff I can cram in there :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so so so excited right now! I haven't bought anything (even when my friend and I were shopping and she needed to get some stuff from Sephora) but the most exciting thing: I FINALLY finished the lip gloss I wanted to use up!!!! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!! This is the first lip gloss I've ever finished in my life! Yippee!!! It wasn't a tiny little deluxe size one either!! So happy!!

This no-buy is really great.  I have so many things.  I did an inventory and I realized I have even more than I thought.  I have a bag full of empties from these first 10 days! I'm going to do a post about them soon.  I realized I have a huge problem with using half of something and then getting freaked out and saving the little bit left in it for a special occasion.  I have zero special occasions.. It's really easy for me to finish off skin care and body stuff but I hardly ever finish makeup things.  

Congrats to everyone for making it to day 10!

My first goal for the first 10 days are to organize/inventory my makeup so I know what I have and so I can track what I use up over the 100 days. My other goal is to go through my clothing and get rid of everything that doesn't fit/is worn out. I'm working on Project 333, so I need to pick my new 33 items for the next 3 months anyway, so it's the perfect time to do this!
Checking in at the end of my 10 days. I have inventoried and organized my makeup. I've also sorted through my closest, but haven't actually gotten rid of anything. I'm going to call these goals done, with the caveat that I do need to go through and purge some clothes! 

Keep up the amazing work everyone!

@@Saphirehaze When you use something up, try to stop and think if you already have a similar item in your stash to replace it with, then go and pull that item out so that you are actually physically replacing the item you used up. 

Back