Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my gosh sorry I disappeared for days...I'll go back to re-read everything. Basically story so far is too busy to even think about makeup, much less buy anything. I'm pretty proud. My last "purchases" from December (my julep box) arrived early this week when our temperature was 20 below and by the time I got my package the polishes were totally frozen lol...rock solid. I let them "thaw" overnight just by letting them sit on my vanity and they're fine. But anyways.... that was the last purchase of 2014 and allowed only because I had done well that year. Well, better than 2013.

I remember spending thousands of dollars in 2013 on beauty stuff...last year I'm pretty sure I was still in the 300-500 dollar mark, but compared to the near 2.5k in 2013, I did well. 2015 so far has seen no temptations (well, not really...I've had some but I've been able to say no), and a miraculous thing happened this morning: I hit the bottom of a maybelline color tattoo I've been diligently working on since November or so. I thought I had so much more in there but after seeing the little glass it put into perspective how much there's really left. I think 2 months I should be able to empty it and move onto another color. The satisfaction of using my stuff is so much more enjoyable than the thrill of getting new junk. 

Day 7 perfume sample: Grabbed another men's cologne sample on accident. It was Gucci by Gucci. I am keeping it though because it smelled nice (sort of mysterious and sexy). It would be a good scent for a night out.

Day 8 perfume sample: Chloe. Nice soapy floral fragrance. Keeping this one. 

Grabbed another men's cologne sample on accident. It was Gucci by Gucci.
This is why I stopped requesting "fragrance sampler" when I order stuff from Ulta.  They kept sending me men's cologne.  I don't know what I am supposed to do with that (I live alone).

I think I am on LaVanilla Grapefruit and Vanilla right now (which smells 100% like vanilla to me, and 0% like grapefruit, but I'm OK with that).  I keep all my perfume samples in a ceramic vessel next to my bathroom sink.  I keep hoping I'll use them all up so I can move on to my minis, but it's taking forever.

Edit: I am committed to not ordering from Ulta until well after the no buy is over!  I plan to save up points from hair appointments and use them much later in the year to get something I need for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I stopped requesting "fragrance sampler" when I order stuff from Ulta.  They kept sending me men's cologne.  I don't know what I am supposed to do with that (I live alone).

I think I am on LaVanilla Grapefruit and Vanilla right now (which smells 100% like vanilla to me, and 0% like grapefruit, but I'm OK with that).  I keep all my perfume samples in a ceramic vessel next to my bathroom sink.  I keep hoping I'll use them all up so I can move on to my minis, but it's taking forever.

Edit: I am committed to not ordering from Ulta until well after the no buy is over!  I plan to save up points from hair appointments and use them much later in the year to get something I need for free.
I would say clear the minis out first...it gives you momentum as those get used faster, and then you have less containers cluttering your space...once that's done you can move onto the big ones...the big ones take longer which means your smaller ones will sit there going bad a lot faster anyways...so might as well move those first out of your life.

Ugh, I came so close to falling off the wagon today. My goal is no-buy unless a replacement for skincare is needed. LO and behold, I found myself in the makeup section of my local drugstore when I went in to get a toothbrush of all things. I was sooooo tempted to pick up some pretties because well, this no buy stuff is hard. There were about a dozen reasons why I told myself I deserved something (phone call that didn't go so well with my mom, limited edition items from a line that the store just started carrying that's hard to find back home - I temporarily live overseas for work - etc etc etc). You guys know the drill. I even came home and looked up swatches and reviews of the products, thinking it would kill the lemming. Help! I'm mad at myself for getting so tempted and frustrated that I can't relieve my anxieties about the other stuff going in in my life. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I could use some encouragement, O brave ones!
Be encouraged that while you came close...you didn't! Go you! You definitely deserve a pat on the back for that one. I'm finding it easier to remain strong if I don't look at any kinds of products online right now. I am making a list when I hear about something that sounds interesting and I will research for purchase AFTER my 100 days. If I really love it then, I'll let myself purchase, within reason. Right now, I have about $50 worth of stuff on my wish list. I may or may not purchase all of those things...we'll see. 

It's tough when we are under stress. We want to go back to the (sometimes) bad habits that made us feel temporarily better prior to the no-buy. However, we all know that while we feel good buying new pretties, it's a short lived feeling and doesn't really solve any of the issues that are stressing us out to begin with. If you can control the things stressing you out, try to come up with some baby step ways to ease the stress. If you can't control those things, then give yourself permission to let it go. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last weekend, I purchased an acrylic organizer to put my "Monday Club" make up in. It looks so much nicer than the makeup bag that I would normally use, however, I notice that my problem now is that sometimes I forget to use certain makeup items, lol. I've forgotten to do my brows two days this week and yesterday, it took me until about noon to realize that I forgot mascara. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my eyes, lol. Fortunately, I keep a sample mascara in my purse...which really needs to be pitched since it's been in there for over a year. Only been used a couple of times, though. Anyway...I digress. By dumping all of the makeup into the sink (old method), I would use it all, because I was physically touching it by removing it from the sink and putting it back in the bag. I just need to get into a better routine and pay attention so that I can remember everything.

Wow. I really can relate to a lot of you. I started buying when stresses or anxious. If I am worried about something, instead of working on the problem I will shop. I love my make up and skin care, but I have to stop this madness.

@@Saphirehaze I'm right there with you! I really, really need to wrangle myself in. It's the last couple days of my winter break, and I've been running errands and overspending. I know it'll be easier once I get back to school and get busy again. But we're all dealing with similar urges to buy, so this forum really helps.

I would say clear the minis out first...it gives you momentum as those get used faster, and then you have less containers cluttering your space...once that's done you can move onto the big ones...the big ones take longer which means your smaller ones will sit there going bad a lot faster anyways...so might as well move those first out of your life.
@@jaylilee it's like Dave Ramsey method for makeup... use up the small stuff first!!  :rotfl:

Here's one of my accomplishments from last night!  I have a kajillion throw pillows, and I've been storing the ones I don't use in kitchen trash bags in the spare bedroom closet.  I'm going to reorganize that closet during the next 10-day increment, so I pulled out all the pillows and stacked them across the very top shelf in my laundry closet.  It's been useless space so far, I'm so glad to be able to put something there and free up more usable space elsewhere!

I joked to some friends last night that it looks like a Pier 1 now (and that right side shelf is going to have baskets soon for some more storage!

E867A590-201C-4AF6-908B-5B4CD1B73070_zps5mmnub6w.jpg

@@jaylilee it's like Dave Ramsey method for makeup... use up the small stuff first!!  :rotfl:
:rotfl:  that's actually pretty accurate, though. I find that I am more pumped to continue to use up stuff by finishing items that are smaller or half finished along with the big items, so by the next time I need to start on a full product, some items are already half-through done...so it keeps me going. momentum! 

:rotfl:  that's actually pretty accurate, though. I find that I am more pumped to continue to use up stuff by finishing items that are smaller or half finished along with the big items, so by the next time I need to start on a full product, some items are already half-through done...so it keeps me going. momentum! 
I agree completely!  For any of my skincare, I definitely prefer to use up items before opening a new one.  And it's so much easier to use up a sample!

I agree completely!  For any of my skincare, I definitely prefer to use up items before opening a new one.  And it's so much easier to use up a sample!
Yesss! Though I have to admit my skincare regimen is pretty basic and strict, since if I mess too much around with skincare my rather sensitive skin freaks out. But it's been working wonderfully for things like primers and fragrance. 

Everyone is so nice and encouraging-- I have to say I am thinking about what to reward myself on Sunday for being good for 10 days? Anyone has decided yet? XD

Last weekend, I purchased an acrylic organizer to put my "Monday Club" make up in. It looks so much nicer than the makeup bag that I would normally use, however, I notice that my problem now is that sometimes I forget to use certain makeup items, lol. I've forgotten to do my brows two days this week and yesterday, it took me until about noon to realize that I forgot mascara. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my eyes, lol. Fortunately, I keep a sample mascara in my purse...which really needs to be pitched since it's been in there for over a year. Only been used a couple of times, though. Anyway...I digress. By dumping all of the makeup into the sink (old method), I would use it all, because I was physically touching it by removing it from the sink and putting it back in the bag. I just need to get into a better routine and pay attention so that I can remember everything.
I do the makeup in a bag and dump in the sink method. I still forget stuff once in awhile. Like primer when I am in a rush. But, for the most part, like you said, touching everything keeps me focused on using things up. I have a vanity drawer with the acrylic container filled with my current skincare, perfume, lipstick, deodorant, etc. I forget more with this organized method too. The other plus I find with the makeup bag is that its not big enough to have a bunch of primers, blushes, etc. So, I have to keep using one and finish it.  If I add to it, I can't zip it.  The tricks we go through to make this all work. Good Luck!

Here's one of my accomplishments from last night!  I have a kajillion throw pillows, and I've been storing the ones I don't use in kitchen trash bags in the spare bedroom closet.  I'm going to reorganize that closet during the next 10-day increment, so I pulled out all the pillows and stacked them across the very top shelf in my laundry closet.  It's been useless space so far, I'm so glad to be able to put something there and free up more usable space elsewhere!

I joked to some friends last night that it looks like a Pier 1 now (and that right side shelf is going to have baskets soon for some more storage!

E867A590-201C-4AF6-908B-5B4CD1B73070_zps5mmnub6w.jpg
And now you can actually see what pillows you have (vs. them being jammed in trash bags)! It will make it easier to choose if you decide that you want to swap some of your other pillows out. 

Latest posts

Back