Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooray day 10!  It is early for me but I feel ok posting now as I have a lot planned and very little of it involves temptation with buying beauty!

I have decided that just posting here and participating in the no buy threads is working for me (right now) and I am not going to come up with goals during the 10 day sets as it makes me feel bad when I do not meet my goals.  My overall goal is not buying makeup/beauty and being aware of non beauty purchases so I am going to continue on that path.

If as we get further into this tempation is rearing it's head and I need things to keep me occupied I will set specific goals but for me personally setting goals, that I then do not meet makes me feel bad and stressed and that is not worth it!

@@Kristine Walker is the thread preppred for days 11-20 or 11-21 however many is 10 days?  Math is not my strong suit!  Make sure to post the link when it is up (which I totally understand may not be until tomorrow) since it is still day 10!

Happy Saturday all!  And congrats on the first 10 days!  We all level up!

Count me in among the people feeling twitchy. I had a wonderful thing happen that advances my career this week and I want to celebrate but my celebrations in the past have usually meant buying makeup. Other modes of celebrating, like a home spa day or a nice piece of cake or something, just don't do it for me like buying a lipstick does. I'm so glad I don't get paid until the end of the month so I do not have a single dime to put toward a makeup purchase. I'm going to reorganize my stash again so that I'm reminded why I'm doing this and so that I realize I don't need anything more. Hopefully that'll quell the addict in me.

I was pretty successful in accomplishing my goals for this first 10 days though. I identified some of the root causes preventing me from sleeping at a reasonable hour and nipped them in the bud. This allowed me to actually wear makeup every single day this week! Not only did I feel better that I was actually using my things but I also enjoyed the confidence I get when I look more pulled together.  

Happy to have made it through the first 10, though, and cautiously excited to take on the next 10! Thinking about my next set of goals. 

I can't believe how gratifying it is to save your empties. I never knew. I started on Jan. 1 and now my little plastic box is filling up. I was going to save them monthly and then review at the end of the month (to see how much I actually use in a month)
Yeah I wasn't sure on the idea of saving empties but @@Margiee encouraged me to do it and I've found it very helpful for motivating me to use up my products.  I've been much more consistent with my skincare routine because I want to add to my empties collection.  Plus writing down my product impressions will give me a better idea of what works for me and what I should repurchase.

So I did order one thing today... More in the spoiler, but I also ran out of the powder I have been using to set my under eye area. I figured I'd just use another powder in my stash but I had forgotten none of them work for setting for some reason. My eye concealer creases before I get out the door. Since I've gone through all my options at home, I think I'm just going to pick up the same powder I was using before which is pretty inexpensive. But that means going to Ulta tomorrow... Must be strong!

In other news, I have successfully not ordered either of the two Memeboxes that were released this week! I allowed myself one box a month, but I'm still proud of myself for resisting temptation so far! Maybe I can just go the entire month without ordering one at all! /famous last words

I'm down to my last tube of the Mizon Snail Gel Cream which is a must-have HG item for my skin. Since I know I'll go through that last tube before the 100 days is up, and shipping from Korea takes forever, especially this time of year, I decided to go ahead and get it while RRS had it on free shipping. Only about $12 shipped for two, and I did allow myself replacements so I'm still feeling good.

I was thinking today that, at midnight tonight, this will no longer be a 100 day no buy, just a 90 day no buy!

I don't know if I am going to be able to keep my goal of a second job. But if I can't that's okay. I decided to not be strict with myself in areas other than the beauty no buy, because I'm going through a healing process. I think rest and sleep are going to be important during this time.

My nails have started to look better. I did them this morning and today I got a compliment on them! My work is paying off. My face feels softer now too.

Birchbox came through for me, and sent me a lovely box. I had cancelled my sub, but got the January box, for which I prepaid. And it is a wonderful box to have at this time. I may resub after April 10.

@@EdithS2 A 90 day no-buy just sounds better!

I went back to work yesterday after two days off due to inclement weather. Now we are getting warnings about tomorrow. It is supposed to be nasty here. Right now I have 7 extra 15 year old boys in the house. My son is having his birthday party. He turns 15 tomorrow. Such good boys but SO LOUD!

I have been really good about using up food items this week and cooking at home. But tonight is pizza night. 11 people including growing teen boys = time to get carry out.

I am really happy with the amount of empties I have. I am going to take a picture and post it in the 100 empties thread.

My exercise bike is now in my bedroom so that I am more motivated to use it. I hate going down to the cold unfinished basement to exercise. Now I can be comfy and watch TV!

My birchbox should be here early next week, and my whole year has already been paid for, so I am just going to enjoy it.

@@flynt I am so happy you are enjoying it and I am so excited to read your big long list of empties! I get annoyed if I have  a pile of packaging sitting around all month so I just drop them into an empty birchbox on my nightstand then a couple of times a week I write down the product and my thoughts about it in a word doc.  That way I can toss the packaging but still see my long list and keep track of my thoughts.  I know some people love the image of everything all empty together and there's nothing wrong with that, just wanted to share what I do in case people were turned off from keeping track of empties because of the old packages.  

Happy New Year and Happy First Day of 100 Days of No-Buying!

My Mini-Goals for the first 10 days ARE:

Makeup:  Organize all makeup into "used" and "new".  Sort through all "new" makeup and decide what I want to keep/use, and what I want to set into a pile to give away.  Create a plan to add the new makeup I'm keeping into rotation.  I don't want to save any makeup for a "special occasion".  Every day that I wake up and am alive and healthy IS a special occasion!

Closet:  (I saw this on Pinterest, so not an original idea!) Take all of my hanging clothing, and re-hang it "backwards" (i.e. the hook facing out).  For the rest of the year, any time I pull something from the closet I will re-hang it the regular way.  At the end of the year, anything still hanging backwards (except formal gowns) will be donated.  This way, I will truly know what I wear from my closet, AND I'll make more of an effort to wear the things I like so I can keep them!

House:  Put away holiday decorations.  Put back all "regular" decor.  Pick one room (leaning towards dining room or office), and completely clean/organize.  Pick one project for the room (hang a new picture, add a centerpiece to the table, etc), and DO IT.

Job:  Pull out my resume and update it.  Ask a friend to look it over and critique it.  Research companies to apply to, and start working on cover letters for each company (actual applying will start in my second 10-day period).

I think that's good.  I may add/update depending on how much I get done!  I'm going to review these goals every day and break them down into tasks I can accomplish each day.  LET'S DO THIS.
Revisiting my goals!

Makeup:  COMPLETE.  It's sorted, organized, and I have a whole bag of makeup/skincare/hair stuff to give away!  I have also used several new makeup items (mostly indie pigments and a new lippie I'd never opened.

Closet:  COMPLETE (and then some!)  I just wanted to hang items backwards, but I went through an entire reorganization, and now my closet looks amazing!  I will share pics soon, I promise!

House:  COMPLETE.  All holiday decor is away!  All regular decor is back.  I'm counting my closet as the room I picked to do a project in, and I now have beautiful new baskets/bins in there and about 90% of my clothing (including tshirts and tanks) are in there. 

Job:  Well, not complete.  But talked to hubby and we both decided to wait a bit on me applying.  So that's on a back burner for now!

I love @@lovepink 's statement that we are "leveling up"!  Level 2, now on a 90 day No-Buy!  I'll set new goals in the new thread!  I successfully didn't buy anything EXCEPT the one item I had planned in advance as an exception.  So proud of myself, I don't know how many times I've resisted temptation in these past 10 days!  And of course, so proud of ALL of us on this journey!  Brava, ladies!

The first 10 days were very successful for me! No purchases and temptations are getting easier to overcome. Plus, I've been saving money in other areas as well, and that feels very good! I'm also considering all of my ten day goals complete, so I'll have to come up with something for Level 2 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

2 days in and I've resisted a couple things already so that's good! 10 day goals:

1) put away xmas stuff

2) finish my NYX butter lipstick in cotton candy, part of my project pan and just barely hanging on so make it an empty!

3) use at least 3 face masks-one done already!

4) finish up 2 things of lotion (I have 4 that are close to done, also need to be empties)

5) 5 foil packets need to be used (2 done!)
Congrats to everyone on making it through the first 10 days!!! How did I do? Let's see:

Money spent: $10 but on the exception list so I am ok with it.

1. Xmas stuff is 95% down. I have to haul the tree down to the garage (aka make my husband do it) and put a box of makeup away, but I am out of storage. So that's my goal for 11-20z

2. Nyx lipstick is done!!! Tossed it this morning!

3. Did 2 masks, I'll do another one tonight so I'm good here too!

4. Not only did I finish 2 things of lotion, I finished THREE!!! One small upside to the brutal cold, and now I'm down to one that is almost all gone. Almost time to open a new one so that's exciting.

5. 4 foils used, I'll sneak another one in tonight. So good here as well!

Overall it was a successful start! Almost caved but I did it! On to the next 10 days. 9 more to go!!!

Went to Target today with my gift card and grabbed some pre-approved organizers for all my stuff, and got more makeup remover and cotton balls. But otherwise, nothing else beauty related there! Getting tons of my Memebox products sorted and stored is so satisfying considering how much there is. I finished a couple small samples of things, but considering most of my beauty items are full size things, it's hard to do an empties challenge for me. I didn't really have one in mind, but after 10 days I finished:

• ​2 masks
  • 1 full size toner
  • 1 sample cleanser
  • 1 sample scrub, and threw away another that I didn't like
And I also realized I have shampoo...shampoo and conditioner were in my allowed items to purchase if I found out I didn't really have any extras, but of course I do. Several. No conditioner though, but I think I also have plenty of that so woohoo!

Lets see if I got what I wanted to get done done: 

My goals for the first 10 days:

1. Order the storage drawers I've been meaning to order since September, that way I can start organizing my stuff.

2. Find and use the one face mask I have.  I've only used it once, and I had no idea what I was doing beyond smearing this orange stuff all over my face and hoping nobody in my family came into my room and saw me.

3. Paint my nails at least twice, and one of the times I must do something other than a white french tip.
1. Ordered, should be here between the 13th and 15th.  I actually ordered twice as many as I intended, but I'm pretty certain I'm going to need them anyways, but at least this way I didn't have to pay for shipping.

2. I found it, just haven't used it.

3. I only painted them once this week.  Tonight I'm going to try to either do this or do the face mask.

Plus I bought no makeup!  It probably helped that I had a large order from 2014 that was delivered during this time frame.  In this next 10 days, my Birchbox should be here, so that might help the next time :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm stuck on goals for the first 10 days.

1.  Inventory what I have.
  2. Try a blush. I have rosacea so the last thing I want is color on my cheeks. This is a psychological thing that will be hard for me. Yet I don't want to be holding onto blushes that I will never use.
  3. Paint my fingernails once. They are already painted so one nail polish change.
  4. Put away and organize Christmas decorations. I had emergency surgy the day after Christmas 2 years ago. My family put away the decorations that year. I still can't find some of my decorations. I want to reorganize them this time.
Not sure what else to write.
I forgot about number 1 and did accomplish 2-4. I also saw how my impulse buying is related to family issues. Onto the next 10 days!

I forgot to add that I finished 15 items: 4 full-sizes, 5 deluxe-sizes, 6 foils.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be encouraged that while you came close...you didn't! Go you! You definitely deserve a pat on the back for that one. I'm finding it easier to remain strong if I don't look at any kinds of products online right now. I am making a list when I hear about something that sounds interesting and I will research for purchase AFTER my 100 days. If I really love it then, I'll let myself purchase, within reason. Right now, I have about $50 worth of stuff on my wish list. I may or may not purchase all of those things...we'll see.

It's tough when we are under stress. We want to go back to the (sometimes) bad habits that made us feel temporarily better prior to the no-buy. However, we all know that while we feel good buying new pretties, it's a short lived feeling and doesn't really solve any of the issues that are stressing us out to begin with. If you can control the things stressing you out, try to come up with some baby step ways to ease the stress. If you can't control those things, then give yourself permission to let it go. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Sorry I've been MIA the past few days, but that you so much for this encouragement, jesemiaud! I actually told my husband about the temptation to buy (I used to hide my purchases from him out of shame) and he was super supportive and encouraging. And yes I hear you about giving yourself permission to let go/forgive/be ok with whatever stuff you're working through. We're all works in progress, right? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> here's to staying strong for our next 10 days!

So..  the first 10 days weren't so good for me.  Having a surprise 4 extra days off work leads to a little boredom, and then serious stir-crazy issues.  And when I finally got out, I did the unthinkable.  The "S" word.

I bought two allowed purchases early in the 10 days and then when I escaped the house, well, that's when I went a little overboard.  While working through my stash I had noticed that I was seriously lacking in moisturizers and masks.  I've been on a mission to figure out how to get rid of my clogged pores and it probably wasn't the brightest idea to do this challenge when I'm in the middle of trying to find a solution that works.

Going forward I'm going to need to alter my thinking.  I'm allowed to buy if it's a product I don't own/for a purpose that comes up.  This applies to skin care.  I do not need (or want) any makeup

I will still remain mindful of what I'm doing and not resort to my old 'find something you like and buy 100 of them.'

What I did well:

• sorted socks 
  • cleaned bathroom and kitchen (deep cleaning stove-top and such)
  • cleaned the dog room and assembled a shelving unit to replace a piece of furniture I'm selling
  • picked lots of products from my stash to try (I used a LOT of those masks this week)
  • trashed 10+ items that were old and just taking up space in my shower/bath
  • socialized with friends
  • made it to the store for mom twice, got her mail every other day, took her dinners
  • found my missing checks!
For the next 10 days I'll work on getting more of my house under control and depending on the ice storm tonight, I may have extra time to do this.  Again.

Back