Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey ladies!!!!

So I finally made that DIY eyelash serum out of an old Tarte mascara tube that I had used up and then cleaned out. (That baby was super hard to clean out and took forever- I used hot water, soap, makeup remover, alcohol, hot water again, alcohol overnight, another rinse, and then let it dry before filling it with about 1/2 argan oil and 1/2 castor oil.

Check it!

photo 2(3).JPG

Don't mind my creepy face in the mirror- I was wearing a few masks and look like death!

Doing good here as well. All of your stories inspire me. I am thinking about cancelling another beauty sub. I just have so much. Its so easy to fall off the wagon! I bought a lipstick for $7 but I used Birthday money...so it was a birthday gift technically (or at least that's how I rationalize it in my head). My little 6 year old couldn't sleep last night (bad dream) so I was up with him which meant hours on the computer in the middle of the night websurfing....which isn't good for someone on a no-buy. Note to self: no late night computer time!
Good for you! Cancel that box! You can do so awesome! Also- good point about the late-night computer time. Apparently studies show people tend to overspend if online shopping past 8 pm. It's kind of like mindless overeating after 7pm. Hehe, I guess there's a reason people always compare shopaholics to overeaters. Me? I like to do a bit of both. Mwhahaa! Eugh. That shouldn't be a joking matter, really. I need help, and that's what I'm giving myself by coming here with you lovely people!

I'm feeling good about this no-buy challenge right now.  The things which would normally tempt me are having zero effect which feels really good.  My focus is on using the items in my stash instead of acquiring more beauty items.  So far using the stash has resulted in finding some gorgeous products though I do no plan to have a massive shopping spree as soon as the no buy is over.  I am likely to purchase the items I really love some time after April 10th and the end of this year.  A big shopping spree in mid-April seems really counterproductive.  
I agree- this whole challenge will be null if I just go and binge spend in April. I'm going to be keeping track of what has been tempting me and I think one of my 10-day rewards will be swatching things at Sephora.... well, we'll see. At any rate, I'm planning on only purchasing things I know and love, plus maybe one or two new things during Chic Week that I've been wanting for at least 2 months.

@@annatomical I'm using a wishlist where when I want to buy something I write it down and if I still want it at the end of the 100 days then I can look into actually buying it. That way, while it will still be a pretty good shopping spree, I think it will be a lot more responsible of a shopping spree after 100 days of getting to appreciate what I have and really considering what I want to buy. 

Also, sciencey bit for everyone here, it takes 6 weeks to completely break a habit. A lot of us here are habitual shoppers, so if you're struggling in the coming weeks there is actual proof that it will get easier. 
That's awesome to  know, thanks!! I heard it can take anywhere from 30-90 days to break a habit, depending on how long you've had the habit. So 6 weeks, or 42 days sounds like a good median. And we're getting more than double that, so I feel we'll really be making lifestyle changes! Good job on picking 100 days @Kristine_Walker !

Day 7 - Nothing purchased yet.  

I will have to buy facewash sooner than anticipated.  I was using a powder cleanser from MemeBox for a little over a month now, but I didn't like it and it does nothing for my skin.  I gave myself permission to toss it even though it was still 2/3 full.  

Part of this challenge for me is also realizing if something does not work it can go.

I have fewer cleanser foils than I thought and should be out by this weekend.  I am going back to my old facewash.

Perfume of the Day is Nicole Ritchie.

Scent is okay.  There is one note I really like and the rest is average.  I am going to finish this sample before starting a new one as this scent is discontinued.  Plus I really want a perfume empty.
Wow, face cleanser powder? Sounds crazy! I'd be kind of fed up with it too.

I like that you are very into purging your stash as well as using things up. Honestly, I know there is a lot that I don't love or even like, and I hate the idea of forcing myself to use things I don't like. So this will be a big thing for me as well.

Does anyone know about how many spritzes are in one small perfume sample vial? We should test that out! I usually spray on perfume only once a day, but maybe I can do a bit in the evening too as a pick-me-up at the end of the work day.

I may bring out a new vial of typical size and count the spritzes it contains.... unless someone else knows?

I officaly painted my nails last night, and in a non-french tip (which is very rare for me, and one of my goals).  But the polish will be coming off tonight, because I don't like the color combo.  The pink is too nude to have a black line, it looks like I have grime under my nails.  That, and the nails on my non-dominate hand look really bad.

Nails.jpg

Edit: I just opened a sample duo of body wash and lotion, the body wash was okay, but the lotion. . . omg, I need to learn to read things before hand.  Apparently it is a shimmer lotion, I read the back and it even said adds a subtle shimmer and glow.  I'd take that to mean maybe a light glittery lotion.  But no, from my knees down and my hands now look like I have walked through a mountain of glitter.  -_- I end up wearing too much accidental glitter on a daily basis, so I'm not fond of intentionally adding glitter.
I love your accidental glitter! I need to have more glitter in my life!

I think your nails look awesome, by the way! But I understand- I painted my nails last night and they just don't look good, so I'm going to remove  it tonight and start again. I should probably do this with all my polishes and put the ones that looked bad in a box for giveaway. Atually, I really liked the brush, so maybe I'll try to use it up on my toes and clean it out to refil with cuticle oil (AKA Castor and Argan oil mix.)

Another day off work here for me today because of the frigid temps. I hope we don't have any more "snow" days this year, because each day we miss now is just tacked on to the end of the year. I would much rather be off when it is nice out.

On the plus side of it being so cold, I have zero interest in shopping at our local stores. Get out in -30 wind chills? No thanks! On the down side, I have had more free time on my hands to go online shopping. I still haven't purchased anything, though. I have added some things to a want list for after my 100 days is up.

My reward for getting through each 10 day period is $10 to spend when the 100 day challenge is over. So I could have up to $100 to spend on April 10th. I have to stay strong because I want all $100!
That is SUCH a good idea for a reward! Good gosh, why didn't I think of that? AWESOME!!!

I've been thinking about my 10-day rewards and I haven't come up with much good yet- mainly the following:

1. frozen yogurt (not so good for winter/spring)

2. try on running shoes in order to find the best pair for my feet

3. swatch makeup at sephora or ulta

4. can redeem sephora points for some reward

Couldn't think of any more, but I think I'd rather do what you're doing!

Day 8 and it's been well so far!

I have kept emails from Sephora, Ulta, BBW just to stay in the loop about future sales/deals and after I browse them, I delete my email (and delete the trash while I'm at it).  Then I remind myself of all the things I have at home and bring them out to use.

And speaking of using things, I've been using up my stash and some neglected items as well. I find that if I reorganize things, it kind of feels updated and I become interested again.  So far, I've managed to finish a couple of things since this no-buy and I plan on finishing much more I hope!
I agree! Reorganizing things really helps me feel like everything is new!

If anyone's having trouble with letting go of the shopping as a mood enhancer, try replacing the habit with a dance class or any other physical activity that you enjoy (enjoyment is key!). It's been one of the most important things I've changed about my habits.
I totally agree! I started running this week and it's really helped me out! It's given me more energy, my body feels better- not as much stiffness that I normally get in the winter. Just a great thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost Friday! I have been so busy at work all week. I've had twice my normal work load. I have not been tempted to buy anything since January 1. First thing when I woke up on January 1, I had an email from a beauty sub I had cancelled. They told me I deserved to get their sub as a treat and showed some of their best samples from the past. I confess I had my purse out ... but I talked myself out of it as I want to succeed with this no buy. Since then I saw a great spoiler for the one box I did let myself keep, so I'm happy with what I have. I felt I should have only one sub as I am trying to pay down monthly debts.

I do not look at beauty stuff any more and I am not tempted too. I look at these threads when I wake up and when I come home from work. I spend time morning and night picking out things to use, and I use more products every day now. Maybe I can develop my style, grooming and confidence.

I like these threads, knowing that others have hard times and temptations similar to mine, and I like reading about all the great ideas people have to make oneself happy without shopping!

Day 8: while it's not over, no purchases. However...did go get my sample bag offer from sephora, sample of a product, and cashed in 100 PTS for a reward. But-spent no money. I still consider it a success!!

Back hurts...I wrenched it somehow last night. Now tomorrow...day off from both jobs-worried about online shopping temptation-I'll be bored and at home alone.

Doing pretty good with my low-buy so far, and it's a lot easier than I thought it would be. Going through my stash and reminding myself of everything I have has helped a lot. Now when I think about buying something, I can ask myself if I have something similar already, or if I have too many similar items that need to be used up first. I'm a lot more conscientious with my spending. Today I put away all of our Christmas decorations, vacuumed, and am getting ready to cook dinner. I also bought a frame for some artwork my sister gave me and hung that up. I did make a small purchase that I actually needed (under a spoiler so I don't enable anyone).

My skin gets really dry in the winter so I've been looking for a good moisturizing mask. I went through all of my samples and only had one- the GlamGlow ThirstyMud. I loved it so much that I was going to buy the smaller size for $19. Instead, I went to SiJCP and picked up one of their customizable skincare sets for $29. I was able to get three .5 oz ThirstyMuds (all they had left), a .5 oz PowerMud and a .4 oz PTR Retinol Fusion. Although I spent a little more, I got so much more product. Plus the GlamGlows come in tubes instead of jars, so they won't dry out. I spent quite a bit of time thinking about which products I wanted and if I would actually use them, and in the end I got some products I am really excited about. Plus, 2x Sephora points!

so far so good.  Of course it helps I received my birch box  ( only sub allowed and already paid for ) plus a lush order that finally arrived.  i am really focusing on using  up samples and have already made some good progress.  i have also been trying to stay focused on saving money and not spending it on things I don't NEED.

stay strong!!!

@@eastofthesun The typical perfume sample vial size is 1 mL which equals about 15 average sprays. The average perfume wearer spritzes about 4 times per use. Depending on how heavy or light you like your perfumes, it is around 4 uses per vial on average. I am a light user (about 2 sprays per use) so I would get about a week of use from one sample vial.

@@eastofthesun The typical perfume sample vial size is 1 mL which equals about 15 average sprays. The average perfume wearer spritzes about 4 times per use. Depending on how heavy or light you like your perfumes, it is around 4 uses per vial on average. I am a light user (about 2 sprays per use) so I would get about a week of use from one sample vial.
It feels like my perfume samples last waaay longer than that but I've never really counted.  Maybe something to try during the 100 days.  It seems like I use a lot less perfume than average though; I usually think one spray is enough.

I'm having a fun time shopping my stash! I have so much eyeshadow it baffles me. I get to do a full (albeit neutral) face tomorrow because I have to go to court (don't worry, it's just mock trial for my law course). So primer, foundation, concealer, brows, lipliner, the whole nine yards. And I'm going to use 3 of my project pan items!

No shopping yet! I think I have one last 2014 order and then my Birchbox and then it will be awhile before anything new in the mail. That will be the big test for me. I've been feeling blah all week and have not been doing much besides going to work and coming home and laying down, so I'm hoping for a more productive weekend. In other no buy news, no take out or grocery shopping for me yet! I'm trying to get creative with meals in order to decrease the pantry stash which is starting to get out of control. I think I'll try to do some recipe searching this weekend as well.

Just finished my inventory, and I am definitely more into this no-buy!

I hit pan on a translucent powder a few weeks ago, and have been online window-shopping for an upgrade. After the inventory, I'm like, nah, even though it's a legit replacement I really don't feel like adding more to my stash right now.

Took my kids to the mall today and walked past Bath & Body works, saw the 75% off signs and was tempted to check it out (normally I'd be all over that) but just walked past. I thought to myself no way I need anything from there. Also, wasn't tempted to look in Sephora either. I think doing my "stash" inventory really made me realize how much I have to work through before I even contemplate spending a dime on any other health and beauty products.

Doing much better today, I got a couple packages which was kind of nice because I got new pretties but also made me remember the anxiety I have about getting more than one package a day and how much work it is to sort through them all. Having been not buying for a week I've gotten into just playing with what I have and figuring out what I actually need. Keeping my sub boxes was a good idea, because it's helpful to still get a little mail. 

IDK if you know a quilter, but I've seen things were people take old t-shirts that they are still attached to, but don't wear anymore, and make them into a quilt.  Or it could be a project for you, if you're into that kind of thing.  From what I've seen, they look pretty easy to make.  :smilehappyyes:
Also if you are not a quilter google new sew versions!   You cut them into strips and tie them together.  My friend had a quilt made by her coworker with tshirts from college and it was so nice!  I looked into having one made (sewing is not my strong suit) and depending the size amount of shirts it can be $400-500+!

Have you tried freezing the candles? 99% of the time, if you stick them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, you can just use a knife or even a spoon (something hard) to pop the wax right out. Sometimes it comes out perfectly clean, but worst case scenario you only have a little bit of residue left to wipe out.
Either my freezer sucks (possible I do rent) or I am just unlucky as I tried this first.  I left the candles in there for DAYS and then tried to "pop" the wax out.  There was no popping action at all.  I literally had to take a knife, carve into it, and remove chunks that way (and there was tons of wax that did not come off). After seeing me try this my husband banned me from trying this.

Note:  I am really unsafe with knives.  I just don't think about where they are and where I am.  I once woke him up with a bloody finger (cutting a bagel) and asked him to cut my bagel.  He was more worried about my finger but I just wanted a bagel!  I am actually forbidden from using anything larger than a paring knife (unless I am eating steak or meat, then I can use a knife!)

Off topic: but does anyone know how to multi quote when it crosses pages?  Every time I try it never works so expect lots of posts from me!  TIA!

Oh goodness, how did I miss this thread until now?  Even though it got mentioned in the other threads?  Not going to go back and read all 271 posts.  (That's what I get for tracking specific discussions instead of visiting sub forums.  Oh well.)

But the very last of my packages from my pre-no-buy spree have arrived as of yesterday.  I'm pleased with my progress so far.  The only things I bought other than groceries and bills were leg razors and pet food.  Well, and there was that $300 bill at the vet.  (Hoping for a tax refund to take care of that one.)  Having a cat with a chronic health condition sucks.  But NO IMPULSE BUYS so far.  Of 11 subscriptions, I canceled 5.  Another is ending this month.  And one ends in February and another in March.  I'll be down to 4 (and under $100 monthly on subscriptions -- and only two are beauty).

I'm keeping a shoebox of empties.  It's mostly foils right now.  I'm wearing eye shadow every day at work (part of the palette panning project).

OK, I need to go to bed now.  Will pay more attention to the 10 day threads from here on out!

ETA: I just realized my math up above doesn't work.  11-8 does not equal 4.  At any rate, no longer sure how many subs I canceled but I *will* be down to 4 by March.

Day 8: while it's not over, no purchases. However...did go get my sample bag offer from sephora, sample of a product, and cashed in 100 PTS for a reward. But-spent no money. I still consider it a success!!

Back hurts...I wrenched it somehow last night. Now tomorrow...day off from both jobs-worried about online shopping temptation-I'll be bored and at home alone.
Have a day of relaxation and beauty!  Do a hair mask, face mask, paint your nails, read a book, give yourself a mani/pedi, netflix binge.  I am sure you can find somehing to distract yourself from shopping!  Imagine what you would love to do if you only had x amount of time to yourself and do that!  Sleep in, then do things you always want to do if only you had time!

so far so good.  Of course it helps I received my birch box  ( only sub allowed and already paid for ) plus a lush order that finally arrived.  i am really focusing on using  up samples and have already made some good progress.  i have also been trying to stay focused on saving money and not spending it on things I don't NEED.

stay strong!!!
You can do it!  It is so nice/weird to not have any new charges coming through on my credit card!  I will be excited when we make a payment and it will be all shiny and zero again!

Day 8: No purchases for me but was sooo tempted.  I had an icky day at work and wanted to 1. emotional eat 2. shop  I had to talk myself down and tell myself that I am going to have bad things happen but giving in to an emotion is not going to help me reach my goal.

Now that I have been home, showered, relaxed and caught up I am in a happier, more positive place!

Almost through first 10!

So I've decided to not start mint.com for another week or so because I am in the process of moving and need to buy stuff for the new place and just don't see the point of being stressed about spending.  It's not frivolous like beauty so I don't feel the need to limit at all (really what am I going to do without a kitchen table or a toaster?).   I did manage to paint my nails last night and used a nice face mask this morning while I did some more packing, then washed it off in the shower (love that trick!).  I have a gigantic pile of empties I need to type up and I am excited to finally take pictures and write up my project pan finale post once all of my things are in the same place again someday.   

The weekends will be easier, use them to pamper/reward yourself for getting through this first bit and also any of you lovely ladies who are also experiencing this stupid bitter cold.  

Does anyone know about how many spritzes are in one small perfume sample vial? We should test that out! I usually spray on perfume only once a day, but maybe I can do a bit in the evening too as a pick-me-up at the end of the work day.

I may bring out a new vial of typical size and count the spritzes it contains.... unless someone else knows?
I usually get between 15 and 30 spritzs out of my sample vials.  Because the vials are so small the spritzes are smaller too.

I have been doing well. Haven't gone to Sephora yet, or shopped anywhere online for beauty products. I also started organizing bit by bit which feels nice. I am saving money and transferring the money I saved from shopping to my savings account. Also started paying off my student loan even though repayment haven't started yet. I thought the idea of it will make me save better. I have also planned a weekend ski getaway when bf visits next week, which is consistent with my idea of spending on experiences rather than things. 

The only thing I need to watch out for is eating out. I have already almost spent this month's budget in a week.

Lol-ing at the thought of accidental glitter.
I love your accidental glitter! I need to have more glitter in my life!

I think your nails look awesome, by the way! But I understand- I painted my nails last night and they just don't look good, so I'm going to remove  it tonight and start again. I should probably do this with all my polishes and put the ones that looked bad in a box for giveaway. Atually, I really liked the brush, so maybe I'll try to use it up on my toes and clean it out to refil with cuticle oil (AKA Castor and Argan oil mix.)
I work in a floral shop, and practically everything has glitter on it.  So by the end of the day, I am covered in it.  Even one of my coworkers said that the other day he got baptized in glitter, because he come over and something covered in glitter fell over on him.

Also if you are not a quilter google new sew versions!   You cut them into strips and tie them together.  My friend had a quilt made by her coworker with tshirts from college and it was so nice!  I looked into having one made (sewing is not my strong suit) and depending the size amount of shirts it can be $400-500+!

Off topic: but does anyone know how to multi quote when it crosses pages?  Every time I try it never works so expect lots of posts from me!  TIA!
Really?  I had no idea people would charge so much for something so simple.  I mean, if I was to do it for someone I knew, I'd just have them buy the materials and maybe a few cups of Starbucks.

Oh and I wasn't too sure how to quote between pages until I just tried it with this post, but what I did was found the first thing I wanted to quote, and hit multiquote instead of quote, then I went to the next page page and continued to add people to the multiquote and once I was done I hit "reply to __ quoted post(s)".  Then everyone I wanted was quoted in the reply box.

Ugh, I came so close to falling off the wagon today. My goal is no-buy unless a replacement for skincare is needed. LO and behold, I found myself in the makeup section of my local drugstore when I went in to get a toothbrush of all things. I was sooooo tempted to pick up some pretties because well, this no buy stuff is hard. There were about a dozen reasons why I told myself I deserved something (phone call that didn't go so well with my mom, limited edition items from a line that the store just started carrying that's hard to find back home - I temporarily live overseas for work - etc etc etc). You guys know the drill. I even came home and looked up swatches and reviews of the products, thinking it would kill the lemming. Help! I'm mad at myself for getting so tempted and frustrated that I can't relieve my anxieties about the other stuff going in in my life. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I could use some encouragement, O brave ones!

Latest posts

Back