Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to post here tonight to keep myself accountable for tomorrow. I am taking my daughter and two of her friends to the mall for her birthday tomorrow. She got a gift card there for Christmas and wants to have fun and spend it. The problem is, this is a place of real temptation for me and I'm only one day into the challenge. I need someone to pester me to post what I bought tomorrow evening after returning.

I have a very small gift card there myself, and my goal is to spend only that on clothes and to not buy ANY makeup or skincare, etc. with it.

Any more suggestions to help my willpower? Any volunteers to remind me to post my success or failure tomorrow?
You can imagine how you would write your post here tomorrow when you are walking in the mall-- you will want to write starting with "Ladies, I did it!". Think about how good it will feel to write it instead of the opposite. =)

My 10 Day Goals- I'm going a little light because I am currently dying of illness. On the bright side, I am at the sick stage where most of the time I'm just laying around watching TV and using copious amounts of tissues, so I watched the first three Saw movies and bemoaned my existence instead of wanting to shop

1. Use some makeup everyday- even today I put on some concealer and a mineral foundation.

2. Use a facial mask

3.Paint my nails- I went nail polish crazy in November and December and now I have so much nail polish

Depending on how much better I feel in the later days I may update this. 

I keep my beauty products pretty well organized, but I did spend most of the day cleaning up the apartment. My boyfriend just had the flu so we washed and sanitized everything and put away all our Christmas gifts. I did throw away 6 old lip glosses and a half-used primer that I no longer use. I'm also doing a 30-day blush challenge right now, so I pulled out all of the blushes I haven't used yet and put them in a box. As I use them, I will put them away. I was so surprised by how many I have! I love blush and I knew I had quite a few, but I didn't realize I had enough to fill most of a shoebox! I honestly think the easiest way for me to get through this challenge without buying much is to keep looking at my stash. I have way more beauty products than I will ever need. My goals for the first 10 days:

-Try to use up products/ samples. Keep the empties for an empties post. Seeing the things I'm using up will keep me motivated.

-Rotate the products I use everyday. If I'm not completely in love with something, set it aside. Try to see if I can find a way to make it work and if I can't, pass it along to my mom or sister or toss it.

-Read! I saw a few posts in the main thread about people wanting to read more. I've won quite a few books from Goodreads and I got a stack for Christmas, so I need to get through them! I can't buy any more until I've read the ones I have.

-Along the same lines, go through my magazines. I have several free subscriptions, but I never have time to look through them so they just pile up. I need to make an effort to go through a few of them each week.

I'm excited for this challenge! I have sooo much stuff and it's going to be nice to go through it all and get rid of a lot of it.

@@Natasha01 Make it a rule, if you cave and buy something, you must return it, unopened the next day. If you hate making extra trips for returning products, and you know you have to return it if you cave, it will strengthen  your resolve to stay on the no-buy.

My goals for the first 10 days:

1. Order the storage drawers I've been meaning to order since September, that way I can start organizing my stuff.

2. Find and use the one face mask I have.  I've only used it once, and I had no idea what I was doing beyond smearing this orange stuff all over my face and hoping nobody in my family came into my room and saw me.

3. Paint my nails at least twice, and one of the times I must do something other than a white french tip.

Decided to finally take the plunge and get rid of all of my OPI polishes since I've been transitioning to a more natural water-based brand. About 30 all together with minis and thinner etc. My current nail polish collection is now 5 (3 shades, top coat, base coat). Feels SOO much better to have fewer choices.. I love the simplicity of it and I've been working towards that feeling in all areas of my life. Plus I was able to downsize to a smaller bag for them. Over time I'll probably buy more of that brand but for now I'm content.

I also tossed 2 lipsticks, 12 glosses (7 were minis), and 1 lipliner. I'm down to 5 lipglosses right now and 3 lipliners which is great for me. Lipsticks I have 16 and a few of those could probably go.. I have a few B2M to do so I'll be bringing 3-4 lipsticks or glosses in from that, but I'm really trying to limit my lip product purchases this year because it's the one area I tend to overindulge with. I just wear the same colors.. nudes, and muted rosy pinks.. so I can definitely do with less.

My routine in January last year was to wear everything in my stash at least once during the month and I found it really helpful so I'll be working on that again this year. Hopefully I'll be able to find some more things to let go of.

Now to start project palette part 1... but first I have to find it!! I want to use one I got for christmas, a cousin gave me a dollar store palette that is surprisingly really good (it's got a dupe for UD's smog too!)

I unsubbed from all my shopping sales emails and blocked the biggest culprits that I lurk when I'm in a spending mood (sephora, nordstrom, modcloth) I'd block dermstore but I returned an xmas gift so I'm going to exchange once they get it in the mail. then i'll block them too.

My goals for the first 10 days:

1. Put holiday gifts away

2. Store, toss, or give away the assortment of random products that have been sitting in boxes on the floor for the past couple of months.

3. Set up my 2015 budget (I have one from 2024 that I need to tweak).

4. Post my November/December empties (this always helps me to want to use stuff up).

5. Organize my gift wrap stash - I have bits of wrapping, ribbon, and tissue paper everywhere.

If I have time, I also want to tackle my holiday decorations. I need to sort and organize everything better before putting everything away again so that there is space in the garage for everything. This will be a big undertaking so I will need to be in the right mindset.

i posted what the no-buy for me meant in the big no buy thread (not necessarily a complete no-buy, but no impulse buying), so here are my goals for the next 10 days:

1.) Make a list of the items I want to purchase for the spring/summer months. Once the list is made, I will need to set a price limit for the pieces. 

2.) Turn all my hangers around in my closet. I also need to find some way to mark my folded clothes so I can tell if I have worn them or not..... Maybe a safety pin on the tag?

3.) Wear a different perfum everyday. I have a BBW candle that I had cleaned out and use to store perfume samples and it is FULL. I never reach for it either, so what better way to actually smell what I have than by wearing it. If I absolutely hate the way it smells, I will throw the sample away after I get home from work. No sense in keeping it if it doesn't work for me!

4.) Go through my belt collection and thin it out. I only have one waist and tend to gravitate to the same 3 anyway....there is no need to have as many as I have now!

Well this is turning out like a miracle for me. I felt so guilty about how much I charged for Christmas (for family and for myself, ordering from Sephora every day) and then my boss cut hours drastically this week. Suddenly out of denial, on December 30, I applied for some jobs .... and it looks like I got one. This will be a second job to boost my income and provide a backup. And the job is seasonal, from this month through April. It's meant to be! Now I can really clean up some debt during this no buy, which I really need to do, plus investing time into my career.

2 days in and I've resisted a couple things already so that's good! 10 day goals:

1) put away xmas stuff

2) finish my NYX butter lipstick in cotton candy, part of my project pan and just barely hanging on so make it an empty!

3) use at least 3 face masks-one done already!

4) finish up 2 things of lotion (I have 4 that are close to done, also need to be empties)

5) 5 foil packets need to be used (2 done!)

2 days in and I've resisted a couple things already so that's good! 10 day goals:

1) put away xmas stuff

2) finish my NYX butter lipstick in cotton candy, part of my project pan and just barely hanging on so make it an empty!

3) use at least 3 face masks-one done already!

4) finish up 2 things of lotion (I have 4 that are close to done, also need to be empties)

5) 5 foil packets need to be used (2 done!)
Sounds like you will have some awesome numbers of empties soon! I have promised myself I will do a cleansing mud mask tonight =) 

Rather than shopping for new things I am focusing on using what I have - shopping in my stash.  Yesterday, I used a product I have never tried before and liked it a lot!  It was a sheet mask.  Today, I tried out a foundation sample for a product I have never used before and I'm not as pasty white as I thought - light medium was a match. Who knew?  Its a new year - time for a new attitude!

Day 2 of 10: no cosmetics purchases. Was tempted at target with after Christmas clearance but I set it back down. Spent enough due to finishing Christmas shopping, vitamins and food as it is!

I did buy a new pair of shoes...as you can tell by my name, I love cats-they're the vans x ASPCA shoes. Practical, as they're flats and I'll wear them.

I'm doing ok-I'm trying to rediscover what I like, instead of just buying. I'm also saving all my empties for the month of January to keep me motivated-already used up a travel candle! (20 hrs burn time my butt. More like 10. Liars!!) ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My goals for this first 10 days.

1. Get Christmas decorations put up. We finished that today.

2. Get my goal journal started.

3. Finalized my budget.

4. Organize my stash.

I'm operating at about half speed because of getting two teeth extracted and a family issue that has come up. But at least I'm not wanting to go out and buy more makeup.

Hello everyone! Happy New Year! Traveling helps with the no-buy, lol. Much too busy to even think about shopping. Back home now and ready to get going! My goals for the next 10 days:

1. Hang clothes backwards in my closet ala @magicalmom. Did this today. I'm actually going to give myself six months as I do not own that many clothes. I really need to update my wardrobe, but I'm not going to buy anything until after the 100 days.
  2. Get back to posting in the Monday Club thread and focus on using products for 10 days rather than 7. Focus on skin, hair and body care products as well as makeup.
  3. Put away Christmas decorations and get the house back in order.
  4. Focus on one room and spend no less than 15 minutes a day cleaning and organizing. For the next 10 days, it will be the bedroom. I really want it to be a haven of rest, not a dumping ground for laundry and dust bunnies! We desperately need new pillows, so I need to purchase those in the next 10 days. I need to stop putting off making our room a nice, beautiful place!

I'm really excited about the no-buy, and it's so great that there's a big group of us participating. I was going to do a no buy until my birthday in April anyway, so it will be nice to have this group for support and encouragement. My best friend just gave me the Nars Digital World Lip Coffret Pencil Set as a late Christmas present, and I'm wearing the bright pink, Yu, today. Here's to 100 days of shopping our stashes and getting creative.

I'm joining as well, I have been wanting to do something like this for awhile.  I was out of control during black Friday and December and now I need to reign it in and get "back to basics".  It is nice to know I am not the only one that has this issues and can relate to everything you ladies have posted here.  I am newer into makeup and sub boxes but have created quite a good stash over the past 9 months.  My goals are the same as all of yours- no makeup purchases, no new subs (can only get a new one if I drop an existing sub), use what I have and get organized!  

I also really want to spend less time online too and focus more on family and the household.  This is a great diversion/ hobby and I do enjoy it so much!  But, I feel like it is consuming too much of my time and efforts.  I need to find a happy medium.  I agree with what others have said about getting back into reading books too...my theme for this challenge is "Back to Basics" and I always loved the Nike slogan "Just do it" ...words to live by. 

I just got part 1 of 2 of my Ulta order from Christmas Eve, and now I'm wondering why I ordered 3 eyeshadow palettes.  I know I've wanted them for a while, but now I definitely don't need eyeshadow (but not that I actually needed more).  I gave one of the palettes to my mom, I swear she eats her eyeshadow.  Part 2 of my order doesn't show up until Monday, and it's a bunch of samples, so at least no more eyeshadow.  Hopefully this will keep me from shopping the next 99 days.

Back