Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goals are going good so far! I wore makeup 2 days in a row (a rarity for me) and both days I wore the gloss I want to finish up. It has so little left but it. will. not. die. I also stuck to the eyeshadow palette I'm trying to pan. I wore a different look each day and really liked both of them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also managed to not buy anything at all when I was at the mall. When I go, I always go in through the Penney's entrance and as soon as you walk in you see the Sephora. It was staring me right in the face but I kept on walking and didn't go in. Success! I'm really glad I'm doing this no buy because I did my other goal which was to make an inventory. Let's just say it is embarrassing and ridiculous. But I think it will be really, really great motivation to stick to the no buy. I have a list made up right in front of my computer and I think I'm going to make a copy of it and carry it in my purse. That way if I start browsing online or in store I can just pull out my list and remind myself that I seriously do not need ANYTHING!!!!!

I'm wearing my boscia black mask as we speak, err, type.  I always feel like I'm going on some covert mission with the people from NCIS when I wear this.

I have made a discovery.  I lack masks.  I'm positively twitching over this fact.  I've inventoried what I have:

• almost full origins full size
  • mini origins
  • about 2 more uses in the boscia
  • Dr Jart pore one
  • a Sesha one (should be two, but one is missing)
  • two samples

Must ration -- or use my points/a gift card to get one. Cannot.  Spend.  Money. 

Trying to talk myself down from ledge here...  I can always ask for one for my birthday. ..

Deep breaths.
I am confused. You said you lack masks, and then made a six-bullet list of a bunch of masks that are currently in your possession?

I have no idea how fast you plow through your masks, but I bet you can put off worrying until after the first ten days are over. Revisit your worry in the next thread and see how you feel. No need to panic yet.

Ugh first day and I bought something. It was on Dermstore, though so I was able to cancel the order. Nevertheless I'm going to consider it a successful day because I had the ability to reason that I made a mistake and cancelled the order.

Oh yeah, and even though I blocked all my culprits on firefox, I opened google chrome and started surfing on there. I've got to go into mac's system and block the sites or I'll keep doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the next 10 days, my focus will be on:

1) Actually wearing makeup! I live in a really hot and muggy climate and it's gross year-round to be outside. But even if I'm just taking my kid to the park or going to a cafe to do some work, I will commit to at least putting on something - eye makeup, gloss, the bare minimum of color cosmetics because I have so many of these types of items.

2) I loved the idea of rotating my weekly use products every Sunday night. That way I make myself dig out something new and confront the notion, yet again, that I have more than enough stuff! I tend to try to use up my boring products first - clear lipgloss, really subtle blush, etc. - "saving" the better stuff for...never? So I'm gonna commit to actually using the pretty items in my stash.

3) I will try to stay away from beauty blogs, but this one is so hard for me. I've been reading some of them for years and I truly get excited to read through them every few days or so. I also pump milk for my son, so I have some free time to kill each day and scrolling through the blogs relaxes me. Anyone have suggestions for this?

My plans for the first ten days are to finish organizing my stash, to do a full inventory, and to think about just these ten days instead of panicking over the whole 100. It's just ten days. Just ten.

When I do my inventory, I'll be able to figure out if it makes more sense to try every product at least once (nail polish!) or just stick to one item and try to empty it (shampoo samples?).My birchbox/gap $10 coupon is only good til the 14th, so that will make a good first ten reward, and if I don't make it then tough cookies. Also since I'll have to report whatever I get from the gap back here, I know I can't get anything too pricey. Ideally $0-5 out of pocket.

I was doing some thinking about my stash today though and about the plans a few of you guys had to use every single one of your blushes or lipsticks or what have you in this month. I thought about doing something similar but I'm finding that a portion of my stash goes untouched based on the season. I'm don't necessarily buy into the idea that one can only wear a particular color during X season but I won't lie and say that I'm busting out the corals and peaches in the middle of winter. Likewise I'm not wearing my berries in the middle of summer either.

Despite fairly religious use of sunscreen my skin tone and undertone fluctuate through the year making certain shades in my collection look a little strange on me--the berry-pinks I love in the winter look a little sallow against my summer tan. It also doesn't help that the jewel-tone shades of my winter wardrobe don't exactly look spectacular with the warm, peachy-bronze shades I favor come the warmer months. I know that once the weather changes, I'll brush off the dust on the parts of my stash that haven't been used in a while but I can't help feeling guilty that I'm not constantly rotating through every part of my stash. 

Does anyone have similar issues with some colors looking off depending on the season? How do you guys account for that? Or do you all mostly have very neutral/subdued shades in your stash that go with everything regardless of seasonal skin tone/undertone/clothing options?
I vote that it is totally OK to have a seasonal wardrobe for make up.  I also have stuff that gets a lot more love during different times of the year and I think it's a combination of skintone and mood.  Living in the upper midwest means a huge fluctuation between seasons. I feel just generally silly trying to look bronzed in 10 below weather when I know I am outside the bare minimum.  I'm just fine with my makeup reflecting this philosophy because I don't think it would make me feel prettier or more comfortable to "wear" the wrong season on my face, which isn't really living in the moment and using what I love.  

I am confused. You said you lack masks, and then made a six-bullet list of a bunch of masks that are currently in your possession?

I have no idea how fast you plow through your masks, but I bet you can put off worrying until after the first ten days are over. Revisit your worry in the next thread and see how you feel. No need to panic yet.
Yeah, I'm good for a few weeks since I use them 2-3 times a week.  A few of the masks are not necessarily what I would choose to help my biggest issue -- clogged pores. 

I'm just surprised that I have to think about replacements so early. Especially since I hadn't planned on needing to buy anything.  I think I must have overlooked this mask issue when I planned my strategy.

Live and learn. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I made a mistake and looked at the enabler thread and made a small purchase on the 1st. I'm going to use this as a learning experience to (duh!) not look at the enabler thread.

I felt bad since everyone has stayed strong but I haven't bought anything else since.

My goals for this week:

Paint nails twice (at least)

Use a mask 2-3 times

Wear make up every day

I have a lot of unopened makeup so it's almost like going shopping when I open something unopened and try it for the first time. So if I get the urge to go shopping I'll "shop" my "stash" instead.

I wanted to join this no buy because I have way too much. I was watching a bunch of episodes of Hoarders and the people who keep buying stuff and they don't use it and they buy multiples of the same thing remind me of me. The other reason is I have a bunch of medical bills from having to have emergency

surgery in September and haven't been paying any of them so I will be starting to pay those, I just need to come up with a plan.

Sorry to ramble on I just felt like, if I write this stuff down on this thread, I might feel more accountable.

I made a mistake and looked at the enabler thread and made a small purchase on the 1st. I'm going to use this as a learning experience to (duh!) not look at the enabler thread.

I felt bad since everyone has stayed strong but I haven't bought anything else since.

My goals for this week:

Use a mask 2-3 times

Wear make up every day

I have a lot of unopened makeup so it's almost like going shopping when I open something unopened and try it for the first time. So if I get the urge to go shopping I'll "shop" my "stash" instead.

I wanted to join this no buy because I have way too much. I was watching a bunch of episodes of Hoarders and the people who keep buying stuff and they don't use it and they buy multiples of the same thing remind me of me. The other reason is I have a bunch of medical bills from having to have emergency

surgery in September and haven't been paying any of them so I will be starting to pay those, I just need to come up with a plan.

Sorry to ramble on I just felt like, if I write this stuff down on this thread, I might feel more accountable.
There is no need to apologize.  Sometimes it just feels good to express what you're going through honestly in a place where you know no one is judging you.  

I needed a few days to get organized. What I have set up:

1. Created a list of products I am going to use everyday until done. Mainly face products such as foundation, primer, powder, etc.

2. Starting a weekly makeup basket on the 5th, which is when I go back to work.

3. Documenting this journey on Instagram so I have some accountability outside of myself.

4. Unsubscribed from beauty emails.

I'm glad I am doing this and that we can all support each other.

Here are my plans for this first leg of the challenge:

1. Sell textbooks online and get them shipped out. Put the profit in savings or toward debt.

2. Organize perfume samples in a jar and use one every day.

3. Clean out the bottom of my closet (I did the shelves the other day) and a desk that has become a catch-all. Throw out or donate anything that I don't use or need.

4. Paint my nails at least once and use a face mask 2-3 times. I have a Lush mask that expires next month, so I need to focus on it.

5. Buy a few totes and pack away Christmas stuff, off-seasoning clothing, etc.

6. Return two items to Target, and put the money into savings or toward debt.

7. Take donations to be dropped off.

Good luck all- you are doing so well!

Last night after reading this thread (and joining in!) I decided to do an inventory.  I got 2 drawers done in my Ikea Alex (have 4 to go) and am exhausted.

I still have the rest of my makeup storage to go through plus all the over flow.  I am thinking that doing the inventory alone may take 100 days.  I  have so much stuff!

I did do some organization last night while I was sorting but I need to find a better system.  I do not want to buy storage as I really want to not accumulate more stuff so I am playing around with the storage options I currently have and making them work for me.

I also had an epiphany today about why I buy makeup and why I have so much.  I jotted down some points that I am going to use for a blog post to keep me accountable.

Hope everyone is doing well!  Tonight tomorrow I will be selecting my picks for Monday club and deciding which hair mask, face mask and nail color polish I am going to use on Sunday.   I like to do a beauty/relaxation routine on Sunday to get me over the "I have to go to work on Monday stress." I am targeting the foils and small continers first and will then move on to the full sizes!

Feeling better now that I have a plan and course of action but feeling ill at home much I have accumlated.  I am going to model my routine after @@Kristine Walker and try something and if it is not a love, the color is not me etc I am going to donate or put aside for a Circular swap.  Life is too short to keep makeup you don't like just because it cost x amount, or so and so gave it to you.  Looking forward to seeing my empties and threw it aways grow.

Sorry for the long post! I got up this AM and went hiking with  a friend.  Got to combine fitness, beauty/nature and catching up in one fell swoop!  I just got home and got caffinenated hence my long, rambly post!

Today I used a gift card with only $8 and got a $15 tub of shea butter that was on sale at B&BW.... I also got some samples of flowerbomb and poured them into a vial at home with one of my other samples.... I now have a sizable vial of flowerbomb and I got it for free! Haha

Money spent so far? $0

My goals for this week:

Use a mask 2-3 times

Wear make up every day

Don't feel bad. I bought something last night. Now I have to take the cost out of my cash money and eat pbj sandwiches all week.

Small success -- I found my checks while looking for the missing Sesha mask.  This gives me hope that I didn't recycle my passport.

Made one purchase.

Planned purchase -- pants.  Very cheap pants.  Happy to have black pants that are 1) the right length  2) aren't faded 3) no holes!

Still looking for:

passport

light bulbs

mask

holiday kleenex

I'm wearing my boscia black mask as we speak, err, type.  I always feel like I'm going on some covert mission with the people from NCIS when I wear this.

I have made a discovery.  I lack masks.  I'm positively twitching over this fact.  I've inventoried what I have:

• almost full origins full size
  • mini origins
  • about 2 more uses in the boscia
  • Dr Jart pore one
  • a Sesha one (should be two, but one is missing)
  • two samples
 Must ration -- or use my points/a gift card to get one. Cannot.  Spend.  Money. 

Trying to talk myself down from ledge here...  I can always ask for one for my birthday. ..

Deep breaths.
Maybe if you run out you could make some homemade masks with honey, avocado, oatmeal and the like? That way you could still get a treatment but without spending more money.

Stay strong this weekend everyone! I've been unsubscribing from all the stores that usually send me emails. No deal is a good deal if it's wasting money.
I have done this too. So much less email. I wish the unsubscribe would take effect immediately. Many of them say that it will take a week or 14 days. I just want them gone. Now.

Back