Days 1- 10 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing pretty good with my low-buy so far. I did use my drugstore.com dollars to grab an elf powder for a total of 25 cents out-of-pocket. It's something I've been wanting and I had to use the credit or I would lose it. Was feeling pretty good until I went into my stash to get some deodorant and realized I was out. I did buy the cheap "clean scent" one instead of the fancy vanilla one that was tempting me. Oh well, I had enough deodorant samples that I hadn't bought any for about 2 years, so I can't complain too much.

Day three done & I have to say I'm doing much better than I thought I would! Haven't really had an urge to buy anything yet. And I'm putting most of my time and energy into my other resolutions: working out, planning healthy meals, organizing, doing some deep cleaning around the house. And next week I go back to work so I'll be busy! 

Last night I did a late night Target run with my family to see if they had any more clearanced Christmas yard decorations (they didn't), but to fill the shelves of what use to be Christmas stuff, they put out some makeup stuff, and I have to admit that I paused for a brief second, then realized I can't buy it so I wasn't going waste time looking at it.

Then today, I was looking at old notes on my phone and realized I had made a project 10 pan list some time ago, so I updated a few things on the list to reflect what I'm wanting to use up and I also realized I've used up 2 of the items on there already.  So, I'm just going to keep running off of that list, and call it a project 8 pan :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Also on my phone, I found a list already made up of my target's for how many of each item I would like to have.  During my next 10 days, I'll be making an inventory to compare with my list of targets.

Also today, I had to stop at a dollar store to pickup a calendar for the new year, and while I was there I saw they had some adorable little sliding drawers, so picked 1 of those up and plan on seeing how much of my stash can fit in there, and possibly getting some more.

I also changed out the perfume sample I had in my purse today, I've had the same one in there for almost a year and I rarely wear wore it so I was overdue for a change, so hopefully I'll wear this newer sample more and remember to change it out once I'm tired of it.  Plus, I learned that one of my dogs likes this new scent, every time I've worn it and she catches a whiff, she tries to find where I sprayed it and smells it until either I end up moving or she tries to taste it.

One way to deal with caving in and buying beauty products on this no-buy is to make a rule that you must return them unopened and get your money back .If you already opened it, you still must return it. No letting yourself off the hook because it can lead to more backsliding. Don't just shrug and say " oh well", nope, return it. This will reenforce that there are will be consequences. There is a difference between needs and wants, basic hygiene is needed, more lipsticks when you own too many already is a want. Love yourself enough to tell yourself no on this. Another lady had a brilliant consequence for herself, because she bought one item she purged three others. That was a good plan. But endeavor to remain no-buy if that was your original game plan.

I'm not trying to dampen any excitement, but sometimes taking on too many things at once can become discouraging quickly. I wouldn't suggest doing a makeup no-buy, everything else no-buy, weight loss, exercise, and house cleaning all at the same time., simply because that is a ton of pressure to put on yourself all at once. I would hate to see anyone set themselves up for disappointment by taking on too much.

I am so proud of all of us!! The enthusiasm is contagious! Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick inventory check for makeup this morning on a whim, and well.... numbers don't lie do they. I found out I have 44 lip products- I am counting deluxe size and full size altogether. I knew I had a lot, but woahhh that's more than I thought. 

I have seen people doing 30 lipsticks in 30 days challenge- I am considering it to remind myself what all the colors look like on my lips because I know I tend to choose one out of about 10 in regular days. 

So after counting the numbers, I put on a red lipstick today that I didn't wear for months and I actually really like it!  I am not wearing any other makeup today but it is making me feeling bold :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

While I'm not doing well with no buy, I'm doing great with low buy and setting limits for myself. I feel very proud of myself bc I wanted to buy something online and I told myself to wait until morning. Now I don't want to buy it at all.

Typing now because I have quiet time for a few minutes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Tomorrow I am going to try blush. I have not worn blush in years because I have rosacea. I do not want color in my cheeks. My rosacea has improved greatly in the past 15 years and now it looks strange when I wear foundation with no blush. I have lots of blushes from sub boxes taking up room and need to decide if I want to keep them or found someone who can use them. Any good YouTube videos on putting on blush?

Typing now because I have quiet time for a few minutes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Tomorrow I am going to try blush. I have not worn blush in years because I have rosacea. I do not want color in my cheeks. My rosacea has improved greatly in the past 15 years and now it looks strange when I wear foundation with no blush. I have lots of blushes from sub boxes taking up room and need to decide if I want to keep them or found someone who can use them. Any good YouTube videos on putting on blush?
I don't know of any good ones, but I just smile and put the blush on the apples of my cheeks.

@@PA Anna Here is a blush tutorial from Wayne Goss. He is one of my favorite YouTubers. This one also doesn't mention any specific products to use, so it is helpful for the no-buy.

Hmmmm...I meant to post a link, but it looks like it is just posting the video. Someone please let me know how to just post a link instead of the actual video if this is not OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20150102_221531.jpg

OK all, I've taken the photo of my project pan items!  I've got:

• Essence chocolate raspberry hand lotion--this was 2/3 empty when I started, and at this point I think I only have one or two uses left.  Hooray!
  • Benefit Porefessional--sample size.  My skin is normal-to-dry, so I never use primer.  I like that when I use this I need less BB cream, but otherwise, I don't like this much, and am just going to use it up.  I think it's only three quarters full but it lasts forever.
  • Linda Mason The Art of Beauty lip liner--this is so close to done, it is the exact length of my pinky finger.  I rarely use lip liner, and I have 3!  I want to use this one up, so I'm treating it as lipstick. Bonus points for being on trend since it is a Marsala shade. 
  • Styli-Style pencil eyeliner in 'Twilight' a dark blue--I like the color, but do not get along very well with traditional pencil eyeliners.  I want it gone so I can focus on the eyeliners I like better.
  • LUSH WHoosh shower jelly--this was a gift, and is functional.  I don't love the smell, but it's not awful either. I'm excited to finish it so I can use soaps I prefer.  I'm about a third done.
  • Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert bath teabag--this is a one use item, so I just have to take one bath and it's off the list.  I have a few backups of this product, and have already used one or two in the past.  I love the smell, just need to commit to the time it takes for a luxurious bath.  Maybe the bath can be a reward for not buying something...
  • LUSH Sea Spray hair mist--I have one HG hair product, and this isn't it.  However, this isn't bad.  I won this in a giveaway, and it was almost full when I started the no-buy.  I am using it, and want to finish it so I can go back to my HG (which is also almost empty!)
  • YSL Touche Eclat sample--for a sample, this lasts forever.  I thought it would be a one or two use item, but it's been lasting me for weeks.  I think there's only about 3-4 uses left. 
  • The Cool Fix after shave gel--This is about half done.  I prefer moisturizer for post-shaving.  This is a bit of a challenge to use up, since I am really lax about shaving, especially in winter.  Used it once since starting the no-buy though!

One way to deal with caving in and buying beauty products on this no-buy is to make a rule that you must return them unopened and get your money back .If you already opened it, you still must return it. No letting yourself off the hook because it can lead to more backsliding. Don't just shrug and say " oh well", nope, return it. This will reenforce that there are will be consequences. There is a difference between needs and wants, basic hygiene is needed, more lipsticks when you own too many already is a want. Love yourself enough to tell yourself no on this. Another lady had a brilliant consequence for herself, because she bought one item she purged three others. That was a good plan. But endeavor to remain no-buy if that was your original game plan.

I'm not trying to dampen any excitement, but sometimes taking on too many things at once can become discouraging quickly. I wouldn't suggest doing a makeup no-buy, everything else no-buy, weight loss, exercise, and house cleaning all at the same time., simply because that is a ton of pressure to put on yourself all at once. I would hate to see anyone set themselves up for disappointment by taking on too much.

I am so proud of all of us!! The enthusiasm is contagious! Keep up the good work!
This is an excellent post with lots of good points!

I think for me, not focusing on makeup as much simply leaves me more time to focus on these other things. One thing that helps me keep the pressure off is that I don't have any specific goals about them, I just do them as I have time, and a want to do them.

As of now, I'm still not that tempted. I see a few drugstore items that look fun, but I know if I buy them, I will wear them for one day and put them in my makeup drawers. Then they will sit there while I rotate through other items that I don't want to neglect, and then I will find I don't have many chances to ever get around to them. And then a few months down the road, I will notice these things again, and wonder why I bought them since I haven't worn them, and I will feel guilty about it. I will realize that I bought them for that rush that I only get when I buy something new, a rush that only lasts a few minutes. I don't even want to go down that road.

I'm so glad you mentioned this! I've been reading a lot about goal fatigue. Basically if you set too many goals at once you don't end up making progress on any of them. I've found for me that what really works well is to focus on one or two goals. Every time you make a decision to deny yourself something, your willpower wears out a little bit, it's like a muscle. If you're denying yourself several things multiple times a day, your willpower wears out pretty fast and you give up.  

It takes some time, but it has worked for me.  Over the past 1.5 years I spent about 9 months fixing my eating habits which then rolled into 6 months of adding in exercise, now I'm just pushing to get stronger. I'm hoping that a makeup buying overhaul will lead into better spending and saving habits this year.  I'm just throwing in decluttering/cleaning as a side benefit, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and I don't need to worry about it.  

There's nothing like the feeling of achieving a goal, and we can get through this one together!

^^^ She's right so right. 

I am doing really well so far!  I've really embraced this no buy mentality - I want to save money this year!  I've also made some progress on my ten day goals.  I just finished up my empties post, so now I can start collecting my January empties (and I've already had a couple!).  The Christmas decorations are gathered in one place, and I created my 2015 budget.  I have just one box of stuff to put away in my bedroom, which I think I will work on now!  After that, I'm going to make a vat of turkey chili to have for dinner this week as well as prep something for lunch for tomorrow.

Yesterday, after I had a bath, I tried out a body lotion sample in a foil packet.  It was one of those things that the neurotic side of me held onto for a long time because it seemed like something really special.  The lotion smelled absolutely lovely.  Shortly thereafter my dog came to snuggle with me and I thought nothing of it.  A little while later my son came to me and demanded to know why the dog smelled so good and my son could not figure out where the smell was coming from.  My son really loved the strange new smell.  As it turned out the scent from my body lotion wore off on the dog and we had a good laugh about it.

I'm really happy this was something I was able to use before it went bad or before it got misplaced in a  mountain of foil packets.  

Yesterday, after I had a bath, I tried out a body lotion sample in a foil packet.  It was one of those things that the neurotic side of me held onto for a long time because it seemed like something really special.  The lotion smelled absolutely lovely.  Shortly thereafter my dog came to snuggle with me and I thought nothing of it.  A little while later my son came to me and demanded to know why the dog smelled so good and my son could not figure out where the smell was coming from.  My son really loved the strange new smell.  As it turned out the scent from my body lotion wore off on the dog and we had a good laugh about it.

I'm really happy this was something I was able to use before it went bad or before it got misplaced in a  mountain of foil packets.  
The dog mom in me really wants to know what lotion it was!

Congrats!  I used a foil yesterday (Glam Glow SuperMud) -- it feels good to reduce ONE whole item in ONE use!

Okay! So I've made some progress and decisions over the past few days.

I still haven't purchased those holiday items that I was lusting after. Some of them actually sold out and I'm totally okay with that, which goes to show that maybe I really didn't want or need them that badly after all. Who knows, I may not get anything at all.

I realized today that I really need to organize my collection somehow - we're low on space and my husband has promised me one of the Alex desks from IKEA once we're in a larger place, so right now all of my stuff is just tossed into various boxes and bags, no rhyme or reason to it at all. I'm not going to buy any organizational pieces for this task, since I don't want to spend money, but I'm going to put what I do have lying around to good use. The goal is to be able to sort things out so I know what products I have.

I've also decided on the project pan challenge I'll be doing - Finish it in 5. I have so much half-finished stuff lying around and it takes up so much space. It's mainly hair and body stuff that I used 2/3 of and then shoved back into the cabinet when I bought something shiny and new. Nope, don't need to have those hanging around anymore. Time to finish those up and get them out of here. I'll be back tomorrow with a list of everything that falls into that category. The goal is to get through all of these items by the end of May.

Latest posts

Back