Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been seriously tempted this segment but have been able to resist. There will always be more eyeshadow to buy. I have bought some additional gifts for an exchange (all allowed) and I think I'm done with gift shopping so we'll see what happens from there.

I realized that I will soon run out of body scrub, so I did make a purchase to get a new scrub. I did not want to wait until I was completely out because it might take awhile to get to me. So I don't feel bad about that.

I have been doing a good job going through my lip products and tossing things I don't like or don't want to use. It was hard at first but once I got started, I was on a roll! My empties bag is half full of items I've tossed so I will have a good amount to post in the empties and trash threads this month.

A couple of points/questions

1) Are we not using the slumber party thread? This whole thing is getting super confusing for me @__@

2) I successfully avoided temptation this weekend! I donated a whole bunch of clothes to Goodwill. I have even more clothing I barely wear but am too sentimental to get rid of still. But some of them had to go. I've been out of college and working for a couple of years now so all those jeans from high school (much less a pair from middle school!) needed to go.

BTW did y'all know that H&M will take any clothes that are in too poor quality to donate for resell and recycle/reuse the textiles? You'll get a 15% H&M coupon, but I mostly like that they'll take pretty much anything regardless of quality so I don't have to feel bad about throwing those bleach-stained clothes I accidentally messed up. Oops.

But afterward, I went to Michaels and picked up a couple of things for a pretty cool DIY project. I'll share in a couple of days because I'm sending one to my SS  :wub:  (because I still haven't mailed her thank you card/gift ORZ). I'm rather proud of my first attempt but it does have a rather "homemade" feel about it right now hahahahah

3) I just saw a review for a 50mm f/1.8 camera lens that's compatible with my canon that's like half the price of the regular canon version of it. I keep not buying camera lenses because a lot of them are very very pricey ($300-500 and higher) and uh between which hobby I'd rather drop that money on, it was makeup for a while. >.> I could make VIB/Ulta uhhh idk what it's called with the purchase of 2-3 lenses a year, cries.

4) **SKINCARE TMI** So instead of focusing on using up a lot of samples, I've closed down my skincare routine and my skin has been the happiest it's been in like 10 years (since before puberty even, maybe). I have really bad cystic acne, and this is the longest time I've gone without a cyst for at least 3-4 years now. My dermatologist was recommending acutane but I was putting it off not even because I didn't want to do it but because her office required me to have a psych clearance due to my history of depression and I was like wtf I haven't been on medication or seen a counselor in 2 years and do you know how much work it is to find one/take the time out to see one? ugh, annoying. I don't want to jinx myself but I'm tempted to go back and see if there's anything I can do about the scarring now... but mostly i needed to stop the bleeding (literally -- my skin used to bleed so much even when I didn't do anything. I tried so hard not to pick at it) first. I think it's starting to calm down so we'll see. I wouldn't be opposed to going on accutane, but it is quite expensive too ):
I still shudder when I think of accutane.  My brother was on it for over a year as a teenager and it caused so many long term problems.  It definitely helped the acne but I think he wishes he had known that the side effects can be life-long.  

I found out about a sale on a perfume set that I've been wanting, I like the scent and the name of it is the nickname of one of my dogs.  I really want to go out and get it (it's in store only).  But I REALLY don't need it.  I have far too many perfumes as it is.  Plus, I got a perfume sample from Sephora last night (it was free, so I didn't break the no buy).  I have no intention of leaving the house today, and I do not need it!

Yesterday, I was at the mall, and I needed a way to burn time, so I went into Sephora and looked around.  I didn't buy anything, and nothing was very tempting either, except for the perfume.  So I just asked for a sample of it instead of buying it.  But I did buy a tank top and some earrings, both of which I need, so it's probably a good thing my no buy is makeup only.

@@eastofthesun -- one other option would be to think of it as spending the $10 you earned during the first 10 days.  So you won't get the $10 for this week, but you're kind of back to zero -- a restart of sorts.

Baby steps...
Thanks your your kind support. I'm really leaning towards returning it, though. Heheh, I have to make a decision soon. I just hate the idea of breaking the no buy, that's all.

Sorry you had issues with your moisturizer, I hope what you ended up getting works for you. You're right, baby steps, otherwise we'd never be able to change anything about ourselves! :hugs3:

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce you've had to go through, but good for you too in attempting to control and manage an expensive habit! Retail therapy as a stress reliever really adds up and half the time, you realize you don't even ever get around to using many of those products.
Thanks for your kind words!! It's so true that retail therapy is devastating, or could be if I let it get even more out of control! :bandit:

but the good news is that between my meal planning and hubby not being here, I saved about $50 from what we usually spend!  And then I had to go home and convince my self that NO, I did not deserve to spend $50 on makeup!  And I didn't!  
 Either way, I *will* get through Day 18 without any unnecessary buying!
First of all LOL at your boys playing swordfight with pasta boxes. Sorry that trip was so tiring! I love that you saved some money and then didn't use those savings to buy more stuff. Go you! :wizard:

Also, love your commitment!

So for now on, I’m buying things that will really make a difference in my overall appearance and/or help me update my look and feel good about myself.  Surprisingly, I’m finding myself less tempted to buy beauty products because I know I don’t really need anything and because I have a bigger goal in mind. 

Remember girls, even if you mess up and buy something once or twice or three times, you’re still doing better than you would have had you not been on this challenge which forces you to be conscious of the tendency we have to just buy, buy, buy. Capitalism at its finest.
I love what you said about items you own making a difference in your appearance/make you feel good about yourself. That's what I'm striving for too!

And thanks for the kind message about slip-ups. It's very helpful!

@@eastofthesun I think you're okay! Selling something on ebay sounds like a good plan, though. You ladies are so strong, doing no-buys for basically everything! 
Thanks @@turntrekgodhead ! I'm not too upset about the cookies, but the perfume I'm kind of miffed about, hahaha! But I'll figure it out!

@@eastofthesun First I appreciate your honesty!  I too have totally thought about purchasing things and not telling anyone here!  Then I realize that I am only hurting myself by not being honest about why I am shopping.

Also don't be too hard on yourself for the roller ball either.  It was on super sale and we all know those kinds of stores merchandise varies from day to day.  I like @ idea of using it as your first $10 reward and you don't earn one this week and moving forward.
Thanks for your kind comments! Yes, I'm glad I decided to be honest about the perfume rollerball, I want you ladies to keep me accountable! Right now I'm leaning towards returning it. It's disgusting me and I hate the idea of changing my signature to reflect that failure..... so if anyone else wants to be extra accountable, make yourself a signature like mine! Haha, I do not want to edit the dates or take away my $10. So, instead of keeping it and taking away my $10 from this week, I think I'll return it soon. I'm still deciding on whether or not I can really make it better by selling on ebay. Technically my rules for myself said if I sold stuff on ebay that money I made would be fair game for anything, but at the same time.... I just don't know....

I'm proud that I made exchanges at Ulta today and didn't go far over. I returned $84.10 in products that didn't work for me that I received as gifts, for $85.00 of what works. I'm not counting the 90 cent difference as breaking the no buy since it is under a dollar.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really cheesed off right now.
Great job on the exchanges!!! Also, love the 'cheesed off' comment. You make me laugh!!! <3

I have been doing a good job going through my lip products and tossing things I don't like or don't want to use. It was hard at first but once I got started, I was on a roll!
I need to do this to, with all of my beauty products. I know for a fact I have a handful or more of stuff I won't love trying to use up, and will actively dislike. I already avoid certain lip products, especially. I'm going to toss some of them sometime.

Yesterday, I was at the mall, and I needed a way to burn time, so I went into Sephora and looked around.  I didn't buy anything, and nothing was very tempting either, except for the perfume.  So I just asked for a sample of it instead of buying it.
:king:   You go, girl!!!

Also, everyone: 2 more days in this section of 10 days!!!! So awesome!!!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I already know I'm going to be a little short on my goals for this 10 day section, since I'm not at home to finish them before the 20th, but it's all going well! I did make a few allowed purchases, and my spreadsheet is going well. I wore two new things today even though I didn't do my makeup, so that was good too.

OK, MUCH better day today!  Both kids' clothes in drawers?  Check!  All 3 bathrooms clean?  Check!  Also a load of laundry is now in the dryer, makeup brushes are washed (must try to make this a weekly habit!), and I now have 3 of 5 of my Days 11-20 Goals complete!  And 4/5 tomorrow if I can drag some of these donations out of the spare room!  

I'm starting to think about my Days 21-30 Goals!  Finish spare room, if I can't get it all done this time.  Master bedroom, definitely.  

How was your day?  Productive?  Tempting?  Best Day Ever?

OK, MUCH better day today!  Both kids' clothes in drawers?  Check!  All 3 bathrooms clean?  Check!  Also a load of laundry is now in the dryer, makeup brushes are washed (must try to make this a weekly habit!), and I now have 3 of 5 of my Days 11-20 Goals complete!  And 4/5 tomorrow if I can drag some of these donations out of the spare room!  

I'm starting to think about my Days 21-30 Goals!  Finish spare room, if I can't get it all done this time.  Master bedroom, definitely.  

How was your day?  Productive?  Tempting?  Best Day Ever?
I had the laziest day EVER.  I accomplished literally nothing... and loved every second of it, unfortunately.  Glad you were able to be productive!! Fortunately for me, tomorrow is another day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@tulosai lazy days are good, too!  I've had many of them, lol.  Including yesterday.  After the grocery shopping, I did not want to do ONE thing.  And I didn't!  I felt bad for a little while, but then decided I'd stop feeling guilty and just promise myself to be more productive the next day (today!) and I was!  I got plenty of relaxation today, too.  Just with brief periods of productivity!

Ugh...how can the weekend be over already!? I really wish we got MLK day off, but alas, a day in the life of accounting.

Good news: I did not succumb to temptation at Sephora today. I took a brush in that needed to be exchanged since it's falling apart, however the manager said I needed to bring the entire set in and get a new set. It seems so wasteful since the other two brushes are completely fine. I just wish that they had told me that when I called them about it. Ugh... Now I have to go back again and resist the temptation once again. Sigh... I did pick up a 100 pt perk of a cleanser that I've wanted to try and I also picked up my free roller ball from a scent certificate that I got with the sampler I received for Christmas.

Bad News: I did succumb at Nordstrom. While I did not spend any money, I ended up picking up a wedding gift (the philosophy wedding set...I love to give this as a shower gift) and I ended up picking up one of the LE sets that I really wanted to order off of the website last week. So, I didn't spend since I have $120 in Nordstrom notes saved up, but I really didn't need that set. I've decided that I'm not allowed to open it until I've used up a body wash and a lotion (which is possible to do in the next 30 days or so...I've got some that are close).

@ I just want to say that you have inspired me so much with your organization projects! I replaced all of my hangers in my closet with the slim velvet ones and it makes a huge difference. I love how it looks now and I love that my clothes aren't falling off of the hangers, lol. 

ETA: I did actually return some makeup and stuff today, for $45.00 or so. I'm feeling pretty good about that - but it still doesn't justify Nordstrom.  <_<

Day 17 & 18.  Oh the temptations I have experienced!  I spent most of Saturday playing cart tetris on BB.  I have $60 in points and a 20% off coupon but unless the total is zero I will not let myself do it.  I got it to $59.20 and 60 and some change.  Most of the stuff I do not want so I removed it all from the cart and logged out.

Since I have tomorrow off I am going to brave Ulta.  I have a return I need to make and I plan on picking something up for a gift (it is on my approved list).  Luckily the rest of my day will be filled with working out, and making crock pot chicken noodle soup and maybe a nap or two.

Can't believe we are almost done with the second segment!  I am so proud of myself and all of you!  I am thankful for the support of all of you.  I love being able to come on here and read people's accomplishments, temptations, deals scored etc.

I am off to my evening of beauty (nails and mask).  Hope you all have a great night and a wonderful Monday!

Tonight I did another face mask prior to taking my shower, then I remembered I have a spray on hair remover that I used once before that has to sit for about the same amount of time, so I applied both.  There's about a half use of the hair remover left, and 2 more uses of my mask.  I don't plan on buying the spray again, it does a terrible job on my legs, plus I've only used it twice, and it's almost gone. . . I'd rather save my $8, and just shave like normal.

Oh, and just for good measure, I pulled out a shampoo and conditioner foil to use as well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am back in business with my little transcription work! I got up at 3 am, worked on it three hours (I love going to bed at 7 pm and waking up at 3 am, which I do with no alarm). 

Last fall I was working all the time on my transcription side work and doing well. Then I saw all these ads on line about going back to school. I opened two new credit lines to try a few classes .... theology, marketing (it was fun, lots of beauty ads in the textbooks, accounting). But I dropped the classes within a week as they were so dull ... entirely online and I hated it. I know it's convenient, but they did not feel like classes. Then guess what I did with the credit lines? Went on a long extended shopping binge lasting all through the holidays, the worst of my life. My shopping addiction is out of control when I have credit. This is why I am so proud of myself for going "cold turkey' since January 1. 

Day19 report!  We are almost at the end of this segment, and honestly I don't quite remember what I did these last 8 days.. I purchased shampoo and conditioner (Dove) because I have just a few uses left in my current bottles, and I found the bottles that have a travel size sample attached to them so I got mini shampoo and body wash as gwp. 

I saw my wanted drugstore lipstick has a coupon for discount next to it when I was buying shampoo and conditioner, I gotta confess I really had the struggle. I looked at them, and told myself they look like someone had swatched them already and i wouldn't want to get through trouble of sanitizing them. So I walked away successfully, but it means it is getting a bit harder.

On  a positive note, getting empties make me happy, I am trying to have very small changes in my makeup to keep it fun, and I used body scrub a couple days ago and a sheet mask yesterday.

:rolleyes:  Here is a reminder for you ladies to use body scrub and masks!

@@turntrekgodhead That's a great idea using your candles that way, let your making up become a ritual of honoring yourself. :flowers:

We should all take time for ourselves, honor our own individual beauty, because we all are beautiful and worthy of pampering. There is no competition, ignore what the advertisers show in images and say in ad copy, those vampires feed on insecurities they themselves knowingly create and exploit. There is no best age to be, the age you are right this minute is the best.

To younger women I say, quit worrying about aging! Live the life you have today to the fullest, don't let fear and worry suck the joy from your day. Smile in the mirror and glory in your youth, everyone ages if they are lucky. Who wants to die young?

To older women I say, quit worrying about your age! You are alive, you have gained experience and wisdom and have so much to share and teach to your younger Sisters. Glory in the laugh lines, it shows your life of joy!

Know that you are important to that person in the mirror. Love yourself today.

I'm going to tally my empties tonight for days 11-20 - my empties should be at least double the number of the first 10 days. I used several foils during an out of town trip and I think I found a new shampoo/conditioner to love. 

One more day to finish the desk re-organization. I can do it! 

@@Kristine Walker thank you so much for those kind and beautiful words! It really meant a lot to me to read them this morning. I think they can also apply to other insecurities like our weight, our financial situations, and our beauty.  We should not compare ourselves to others, only celebrate our own accomplishments while walking our own paths.  If we do compare, it should be to motivate and encourage (i.e. she did this, and I can too!) not to put ourselves down or get discouraged.

Hugs, ladies!  It's a beautiful day, let's make it even more fantastic with both the everyday and the amazing things we'll accomplish today!  :hugs3:

@@tulosai Lazy days are the best!!

I really can't believe I have made it this far without a purchase! I have been so incredibly tempted and so close so many times over, but so far I have stuck to it! I even went into my Amazon Subscribe & Save yesterday and pushed deliveries of some of our regular shampoos, moisturizers, etc. back two months so that I can totally use up what is already here.

When I am tempted, I am writing the things that have tempted me on a list to reconsider at the end of the 100 days. Hopefully I will have earned all of my $100 in rewards at the end of the 100 days, and I can narrow down my list to what I want most for the $100. I know that the purchases I have avoided already (in only 20 days!) have been over $100, so I will be saving LOTS of money over the entire 100 day period, and I won't feel bad at all when I make my reward purchases. They will be well thought out. In most cases they will truly be needed since I am actively using up my current products.

My daughter is keeping me accountable at home. She is always my shopping buddy and she helps me to get in, get what I need, and move on before temptation really has a chance to strike like yesterday at Target. I needed two Dial soap pumps for the house, which for some reason in my Target is right next to the beauty. So when I was trying to move from soap pumps to tortillas, an end cap full of new Essie nail polishes caught my eye. She just grabbed the cart, pushed it a little faster, and reminded me of my no-buy. Love my girl!

I am so proud of everyone!

Sorry guys, I have not been checking in very often!

No Buy itself is continuing to go pretty well. I have only made a few beauty purchases and most of them were for an exchange that I'm in. The only one that was for me was something that was already on my exception list. 

I DID just spend quite a bit of $$ on clothes, but 1) that was never really part of my no buy to begin with and 2) they were all purchased with birthday money from last week. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Not doing great with organizing and using make up though. I haven't touched my organizational projects in over a week. Just not feeling it. I did just buy a few more little organizer trays from Target though, so maybe I'll start filling those tonight. As far as wearing more make up goes... I haven't been feeling the greatest and I work from home most days. Just feeling kind of blah and putting makeup on seems pointless. But the days that I have been out & about for work, I've been using colors I don't usually use so that's a good start!

Back