Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ it's all about the baby steps!  Great job only buying within your exceptions and wearing new colors!  I hope you feel better soon!

Just so everyone knows, the lovely @@numbersmom has made our Days 21-30 thread!  Whenever you're ready (no rush!) feel free to wander over, update your next set of goals if that's one of your things, and join in the chit chat and celebrating accomplishments!  See you there!

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/135604-days-21-30-of-100-day-no-buy-challenge/

I'm feeling pretty strong here.  Adore Me keeps sending me promo e-mails but I go to their site and all the sale stuff is unavailable in my size.  Makes it easy to say no.  (I didn't strictly put non-makeup/skincare/etc. stuff in my no-buy, but I don't *need* new underwear or bras, either, so I'm trying to avoid buying them.)

Sorry ladies, I haven't checked in lately. I worked on Saturday, had supper with a friend (and wine), Sunday, lunch and went to the in laws, and today, the hubby and I went through our wedding gifts, organized, and packed his car for the thrift store (we got married in December and just haven't had time!).

Good news-no cosmetics buys on anything that is not needed! I bought 2 mascara primers (backup, since we have a tiny tiny SiJCP) on Friday (which I definitely need a new one, mine is gross), and that is it, other than my back up mascara at work. (Totally felt odd with no mascara!!) so, in the last 19 days, I've bought needed things only, and spent $43 on make up! I'm pretty proud of myself-2 months ago, I would have just spent $50 on random lipsticks, and justified it somehow.

Otherwise, things are going ok-I haven't been too tempted this last weekend, and have found myself going to the fb sell groups less and less. I've been taking the time to use my products instead of buying new ones. I've also been using hair products, and getting inspiration from magazines.

Tomorrow: day off, will clean and hopefully catch up here! It feels so good to finally catch up around the house!!

Well, back to the usual grind tomorrow :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I picked out all my outfits and chose perfume samples and jewelry to go with them. My room is surprisingly clean, I tried to paint my nails twice (I am spectacularly bad at it), and came up with three different looks to create with the same three eyeshadows for this week. Today was a good day, though I discovered that there will be an X-files collection coming out soon which is very bad for my not-buying intentions. 

Day 20!  The second segment is complete and we all move to the next level!  (I seriously wish there was some kind of tracker that could be at the bottom of our profile that showed like 2 filled in dots and 8 empty ones (kind of like how you used to get the hearts under your profile pic for post counts) every segment completed.

Let's see.  Today I braved Ulta.  I was expecting to get in store credit for a return I was making as it was past 60 days but the girl let me put the money back on a credit card (not even the one I paid with, as it no longer exists due to fraud).  So $11.88 less on the credit card bill.

Ran non fun errands like Costco and Target (well Target isn't very fun any more, it's pretty much get in get out, pretend beauty aisles do not exist).  

Made crock pot chicken noodle soup.  Went to spinning.  Decided that since I am doing spinning and not meeting my daily steps goals via my fitness tracker I have to go before class and get in the steps on the tread mill or stay after, so got that in!

Went to Lush to buy a gift.  It was so slow in there and 3 sales people chatted me up and I left with 2 samples.  No sure if that counts against my no buy. 

Also wanting to fully disclose (to keep me honest) I did buy 2 sports bras from Victoria's Secret.  They were on sale $30 each and I do need them.  I am a busty lady (DD) and I wear those just like slip on sports bras and they are not supportive at all.  But I hate to spend $50-60 on sports bras (which is what I need to spend to get a supportive one for the girls).  But since I am trying to take better care of myself physically and mentally I decided having a supported chest is important.

And to check in on my goals for this segment:

Days 11-20

1. Use 1 hair mask, 1 face mask and paint nails 1x COMPLETED!

2. Now that my makeup is inventoried find a way to organize it.  This may mean buying storage as opposed to using storage I have.  I will research how much storage I need and come up with a budget (if anyone has great storage ideas, or pictures I am very visual it is appreciated!) I have started this but am still playing around with how i want to organize it.

3.  De baggie some indie shadows NOT COMPLETED

4.  Find some indie shadows that went AWOL.  Hoping when I work on organization they will pop up. Still MIA :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

5. Finish book I started last week (it is a library book and not due till 1/23 but I have another one to read and 2 to pick up!) Finished not one but 2 books last week and picked up 4 from the library over the weekend!

6. Start culling through stash for things I am not using.  Either swap or donate them. Have put aside a few things but need to do more.

7.  Continue to find things for donation pile and take bag when full. This has slowed down considerably will need to pick back up second segment.

If you made it through all that congrats!  Sorry so long winded I totally have an endorphin rush from working out!  See you all in the 21-30 thread!  Hope everyones week is off to an amazing start!

I still shudder when I think of accutane.  My brother was on it for over a year as a teenager and it caused so many long term problems.  It definitely helped the acne but I think he wishes he had known that the side effects can be life-long.  
@@LadyK can you be more specific about the long term problems he is experiencing? I have seriously considered Accutane and any advice/knowledge of the issues it might cause beforehand will be extremely helpful. Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've fallen in love with something I saw advertised on YouTube.

A new line of Physicians Formula Argan cosmetics. They are packaged so pretty! Told myself I can get them in April. Maybe they will go on sale and I can hunt down coupons. I do have a Josie Maran set that I love, but maybe these can be a good lower priced alternative to Josie in future. They are cuter than the Josie products. I am glad I am attracted to drugstore items now, not high end. 

Must keep training myself to wait for what I want. Each temptation is a chance to condition myself. 

See you soon on the next ten day thread. There are some super inspiring goals over there! 

Update on my goals progress for the first 10 Days.

Ok, so I returned a DKNY Be Delicious perfume to JC Penneys and got a $48 merchandise credit voucher. In addition to the $12 I’d already gotten from returning a product to Penney's on last Saturday, I have $60 overall in store credit which I can also use at the Sephora located in Penney's. I also returned some old Victoria’s Secret scents I bought back in the day. Only got $11 back, but I’ll use it one day to buy a nice pair of fancy underwear, lol. 

Finally, I also returned some Walmart products, mostly lotions. I have horrible, itchy, scaly eczema on my back so I was buying a whole bunch of lotions trying to see which one would cure/help my eczema. Ultimately, I found out about the Aquaphor healing ointment. It’s literally petroleum but it seems to be effective in helping my eczema, so I returned all the other lotions/body moisturizers. The lady at walmart said all beauty products had to be exchanged for other beauty products, they couldn’t be returned for a walmart gift card. I had about $30 I could exchange for, so I bought a vanity organizer for $15, my favorite conditioner, and a new mascara to try (Loreal Telescopic), but I consider it a replacement item. I felt that I didn’t go against my No Beauty Buy since I exchanged and didn’t spend any extra money, also I only bought products I needed. However, I did also buy a $6 nail polish. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I thought it was on sale, but when I found out it wasn’t, I still couldn’t resist. It seemed like such a beautiful fall nail color, so technically I HAVE failed the No Beauty Buy Challenge unless I return it. But I paid for it with one of my walmart gift cards from a previous return and the $2 I got back from the exchange, so I didn’t spend any money out of pocket. But after I wear it this week, I might be returning it since all of the pictures online seems to be darker than the shade in the bottle. 

In other news, I have almost hit pan on two of my products!

Day 20!  The second segment is complete and we all move to the next level!  (I seriously wish there was some kind of tracker that could be at the bottom of our profile that showed like 2 filled in dots and 8 empty ones (kind of like how you used to get the hearts under your profile pic for post counts) every segment completed.
I made my own!  For every 10 days I successfully complete, I'll change a "happy" face to a "WOOT!!" face!

I'm giving myself til the end of the day to work on my last 2 goals.  I was going to drop off donations yesterday, but then I found a few things that I was pretty sure my husband did NOT want to give away!  I called him and he's like "yeah, I still want those".   :angry:   I asked, but he said not to hold everything else til he gets home to sort through again.  So I don't want to hear any complaining if he can't find a certain shirt!  If it's in the pile, it's going!!!

And I'll be taking the afternoon to work on the spare room.  I might get the room clean, but the closet will have to go onto the next 10 days!  I'll be updating on my total progress at the end of the night.  Yay!  So happy and ready to close out another 10-day goal set!

Just wanted to share that I just came away from my shower with THREE empties: A BioLace Hair Mask foil, a Dove shampoo sample in a small bottle AND a full sized fortune cookie soap BFFs Sugar Scrub!!
So did I!

Only, one was kind of an accident...I had a shampoo that had maybe 10-15% left in the bottle (clear bottle).  I turned it upside down in a rack the night before last so the shampoo would migrate to the bottom and be easier to get out.  Only, I guess the cap wasn't closed.  I got home and was like, what is that all over the shower wall (the rack was hanging on my showerhead).  And realized that the shampoo had been dripping out of the bottle for 24 hours.  Oops...

Did use up a St. Ives apricot scrub and a L'Occitane shower oil for real, though.

Decided that since I am doing spinning and not meeting my daily steps goals via my fitness tracker I have to go before class and get in the steps on the tread mill or stay after, so got that in!
It's interesting which activities show up on the tracker and which don't.  Some of my yoga does (I do kundalini yoga, which has a lot of movement) and some doesn't.  I did an absolutely killer kettlebell workout last night and barely registered any steps at all.  Maybe a couple hundred at most.  Most step aerobics and martial arts-based workouts count for a lot of steps.  Most weight lifting/Pilates/core work doesn't (I guess that's not a surprise.)

Also wanting to fully disclose (to keep me honest) I did buy 2 sports bras from Victoria's Secret. They were on sale $30 each and I do need them. I am a busty lady (DD) and I wear those just like slip on sports bras and they are not supportive at all. But I hate to spend $50-60 on sports bras (which is what I need to spend to get a supportive one for the girls). But since I am trying to take better care of myself physically and mentally I decided having a supported chest is important.
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about that.  Those ones from VS are expensive so if you can get them on sale, you should go for it.  And if you need them to do exercise properly, I think it's worth it.  (I wouldn't know.  I'm a B cup and can use the cheapie sports bras.  Although some of mine should be replaced, they're so old and holey.)

Still holding strong, go me! And good job everybody!!

11-20 goals:

5 foils

Finish: backstreet makeup teenage wasteland

Use: MUFE Aqua eyes liner in black every day. I want this gone this month, time to wear more eyeliner!

Get one more bead organizer for indie samples and de-baggy them.

No eating out except for date night (semi fail on this last week. But it was 1 night, not like 5 so improvement?)

Eat breakfast every day

No buying makeup!

Lets see how I did!

5 foils: hmmm nope. One, and finished 2 perfume vials. Eh.

Finish Teenage Wasteland: Nope. I actually switched this out for Thirsty Thursday because I was feeling peach. There's still probably 5-6 applications left and I used it every day but one. This is a big sample. I will finish it in the next 10 days.

Use MUFE Eyeliner: I used it about 5 times. More than normal and made some progress but eyeliner just looks so harsh sometimes. I'll roll this to the next 10 days and it might be gone by then?

De-Baggy indies: DONE!

No eating out except for date night: FAIL. Ordered pizza once and went out for chicken once.

Breakfast every day: Doing well at this! Skipped today because I'm not feeling well but overall I did well with this.

No buing makeup: Did excellent! Bought one replacement item (legit replacement) for $5.74. Keeping strong!

Yay last day of this section! I have totally succeeded at not buying anything and somewhat succeed at organizing my life a little bit but not really doing so hot there.   But I am focusing on the success and mostly i am saving tons of money and doing my makeup and using stuff up for sure!  I am so proud of everyone and so happy that people are doing well and you are a million times over doing great even if you slipped up a little.  Breaking habits is super hard and we all still love and accept anyone who is struggling.  I am off to go post my new goals because I feel like this 10 day set was iffy beyond no-buy success and I don't want to dwell on it so much that it feels like a failure because it wasn't!

I have decided that even though my exchanges were allowed, I will not open them until after the no-buy. It gives me something new to look forward to, and I'm thinking they will be by then be a mini-celebration of their own.

I finally, finally, finally! found the closest dupe in my stash to my LE MAC lipstick in "Fantasia", it is Sephora Rouge Shine #36 "Diva"!! They are a touch different on plain white paper and arm swatches, (MAC is a touch more brownish,) but on my deeply pigmented lips they are identical. Glad to find this, it is one of my top five favorite lip colors of all time. I'm tired of searching for a 100% total dupe, it has driven my OCD nuts for long enough.

While swatching out my stash looking for matching colors is fun, I dream lately of not being able to remove the colors and being stuck with permanent swatch arm syndrome.

I'm stealing that smiley counter btw!

So did I!

Only, one was kind of an accident...I had a shampoo that had maybe 10-15% left in the bottle (clear bottle).  I turned it upside down in a rack the night before last so the shampoo would migrate to the bottom and be easier to get out.  Only, I guess the cap wasn't closed.  I got home and was like, what is that all over the shower wall (the rack was hanging on my showerhead).  And realized that the shampoo had been dripping out of the bottle for 24 hours.  Oops...

Did use up a St. Ives apricot scrub and a L'Occitane shower oil for real, though.
Honestly this is just awful but I feel like however I get rid of things at this point it's a positive thing.  Partly this is probably because I'll be moving within the next few months but partly I've come to realize I am overwhelmed with stuff.  I honestly have accumulated too much, and it is not healthy. Well, that might be putting it a little too strongly, but in almost every area of my 'beauty' life I have enough with out buying anything else to get me through AT LEAST the next 6 months.  The only things I consistently use up are bath bombs and sugar scrubs.  That is it. And having so much doesn't make me any happier actually. Like, I'm happy when I acquire a pretty, but a few weeks later sometimes I haven't even used it and forgot it.

Once I've used more up and hopefully have a job and am buying again, I am going to be a LOT more mindful about only buying things I TRULY want, and about at least trying not to buy things until I've used at least a few of the same product up.  Like, it's completely unrealistic for me to think I'll never buy another sample sized eyeshadow from an indie again until I've used all the samples up, but it should NOT be unrealistic for me to use up at least a few sample bags before buying another set of them if that makes sense.

I also am going to be less afraid to throw out things I can't return or feel bad about returning and that I've realized are not working for me.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Use at least 3 masks DONE
  2. Inventory my newly organized skincare products NOT DONE
  3. Get started on organizing my stuff in the spare bedroom, which includes nail polish and a bunch of FCS stuff. STARTED
  4. Finish at least 2 samples/products in my shower currently, there are quite a few nearing the end. Finished 1, threw away 1
  5. Organize my stuff I have to review DONE
  6. Finish the body butter on my bedside table DONE
  7. Throw away/give away at least 5 things I don't want anymore Almost, I threw away 4
Not bad! I did almost everything! We're 20% done already!

Back