December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is most definitely a HUGE deal. Around my household we're two busy 20 and 30-somethings and the biggest thing we struggle with is actually cooking our meals and getting healthy choices into our stomachs. lol so My hat off to you. My hubby and I's goal is to actually clean up our diet and start cooking at home more often... I should start looking for recipes. 
I am glad to know someone else gets it, so thank you for replying ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The main two places I get my recipes are Pinterest and a magazine called Real Simple (the only magazine subscription I get). The only little issue with Pinterest is that you have to actually search for healthy and/or quick/easy options. If you just scan through the food & drink stuff in general you get a lot more sweets and not so healthy stuff. But I have found some really good recipes on there. One other tip I have is to allow yourself to get some frozen stuff that you can cook super quick for nights when you just do not feel as well or just do not feel like cooking. One of my go to things is Bertolli Tortellini with Chicken meal soup (basically cheese tortellini, chicken, spinach, and cheese in a tomato bisque type soup). You just put the bag in a pot with a cup of water, let it boil for a bit, and then stir for about 5 more minutes. I usually add more baby spinach and fresh cheese, and bake some crescent rolls. All in all, I can have it done in 15 minutes and while it is not super cheap at $7 or $8 a bag, it is definitely cheaper than even fast food.

Looks like I could chat about this all day long :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you want some other random advice on this (or if you want some recipes, etc), let me know. I would love to share! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Two words, kids: Slow cooker. I have a small one that I can toss some chicken breasts (four to six, depending on how large they are) into with a sprinkling salt, let it do its thing for a day or afternoon, and voila! Shredded chicken that you can use for pretty much anything -- and enough for several meals. You can do this with pork shoulder as well. And it freezes well, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two words, kids: Slow cooker. I have a small one that I can toss some chicken breasts (four to six, depending on how large they are) into with a sprinkling salt, let it do its thing for a day or afternoon, and voila! Shredded chicken that you can use for pretty much anything -- and enough for several meals. You can do this with pork shoulder as well. And it freezes well, too.

We use a crockpot as well, and it's great to have it cooking while we're at work and come home to the smell of dinner and it's ready.

Things I am trying to resist: Sephora sale- this is actually pretty easy because I don't have flash and it's dumb to "save" 20% off a $12 thing if shipping is $6... Also, I don't need anything. Victoria's Secret sale - I have many bras and undies that still have tags on them. I also get roped into buying a lot during the sale because zomg bras on sale! But a lot of the time the bras I buy during the sale aren't comfy. I'm holding out strong! Go me!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Things I am trying to resist:

Sephora sale- this is actually pretty easy because I don't have flash and it's dumb to "save" 20% off a $12 thing if shipping is $6... Also, I don't need anything.

Victoria's Secret sale - I have many bras and undies that still have tags on them. I also get roped into buying a lot during the sale because zomg bras on sale! But a lot of the time the bras I buy during the sale aren't comfy.

I'm holding out strong! Go me!
Uncomfy bras you are not going to wear are pointless. I fell into that trap for a long time and I ended up just getting rid of them. Stay strong and say no to uncomfy bras of doom!

Victoria's Secret bras are THE WORST.  Do not buy more of them.  Stay strong. Ugh, I have seriously hated every VS bra I've ever had.  They don't fit right, don't last well, and are totally useless.

Victoria's Secret bras are THE WORST.  Do not buy more of them.  Stay strong. Ugh, I have seriously hated every VS bra I've ever had.  They don't fit right, don't last well, and are totally useless.
What brand do you recommend? It's about time my old ones get replaced

Katielp, I think the most important thing is to get fitted correctly--so start by going to a place like Nordstroms (or any other high end dept. store.)  The bra ladies in the lingerie dept will measure you and bring you stuff to try on.  You can buy there, or once you know your correct size, you can search for that size and brand in a less expensive venue.  I've had good luck with Natori, Warner, Le Mystere (expensive!), and a few others, but ymmv, since bras are so fickle.

I agree with this. Definitely go to a Nordstrom or other higher end and up department store for your fitting. VS told me I am a 40 DDD...when I was 15. I was a 36B at the time. I am not joking I do not know what city you're in but if your city has one there may be a great specialty lingerie store or bra-specific store. There's a really good one I love in DC, FWIW!

Katielp, I think the most important thing is to get fitted correctly--so start by going to a place like Nordstroms (or any other high end dept. store.)  The bra ladies in the lingerie dept will measure you and bring you stuff to try on.  You can buy there, or once you know your correct size, you can search for that size and brand in a less expensive venue.  I've had good luck with Natori, Warner, Le Mystere (expensive!), and a few others, but ymmv, since bras are so fickle.
What brand do you recommend? It's about time my old ones get replaced

Is Wacoal a bra brand or digital drawing tablet?  If it's a tablet, there's a similarly-named bra brand that my friends used to swear by.  I have never worn them (I'm not sure they even make my size), but they are apparently worth every single one of their many, many cents.

My goal for the rest of the year:  Only groceries, cold meds (to replace the stuff I just spent the last two weeks using up), and a bag of cotton balls.  And a couple of presents (they're for something in January, so I had been putting off buying them until after the craziness was over since I still have a week and a half to get everything together).  *Maybe* $20 at the Pacifica warehouse sale depending on what they have this time around.  And to spend Sunday cleaning my apartment.  I was doing really well on getting it in shape, and then I caught a cold, and there was some major backsliding.  I have *got* to get back on track.  No eyeshadow.  No eyeliner.  No nail polish.  NOT EVEN ESSENCE TREND EDITION STUFF.  Well, okay, unless there's a miracle that results in the Ice Ice Baby collection to arrive over here.  In that case, I can get everything in the collection. I love those sorts of colors/effects, especially in January.  And now I need to start working on my plan for January

(And I have abandoned using the tea canister for saving up for the first quarter of the year because I have a few gift cards now, and they don't fit in the canister, so I made a duct tape wallet -- with skulls! -- and am now using it for the cash and cards I'm setting aside for Emerald City Comic Con.  I need to make a couple of duct tape credit card holders for all of the various cards -- mostly store loyalty cards -- taking up room in my real wallet.  And I still have a birthday coming up, and I think bonuses might come out in early March, so I might be in really good shape money-wise for ECCC and be able to save the coin jar for Rose City Comic Con later in the year!  Ooh, and I just got a text from a friend who might want to go to ECCC, so we might be able to split the cost of gas and a hotel!  That would be *amazing*.  More money for comic books and fannish nail wraps!  Yay!)

Is Wacoal a bra brand or digital drawing tablet?  If it's a tablet, there's a similarly-named bra brand that my friends used to swear by.  I have never worn them (I'm not sure they even make my size), but they are apparently worth every single one of their many, many cents.
Artist here,, the drawing tablet brand is Wacom.

I hope everyone stays strong today! I probably won't!! I've also been going back and forth on the Too Faced Joy to the Girls palette... I love the mascara in there and I have a coupon to HSN making it $26 instead of $46. Any thoughts? (FWIW, I *did* end up buying the Glamglow I posted about with the magically earned paypal money. My boyfriend has also OKd the Too Faced palette because he says the purple is pretty lol)

Ah shit. My low/no buy was doing so great. Now I kinda screwed it up with 2 purchases. But I'm going to do good after the new year so I shouldn't feel SO terrible right?! This is just to kinda get the shopping out of my system, RIGHT?! 

I passed on the UD Anarchy Face Case on sale at Sephora! They have a Nars point perk, so I ordered some cotton pads (they were on my shopping list anyway) and holiday nail strips (I had decided to get some if they were half price, and they are, so I went for it). Six bucks total. This is in line with my low-buy rules for this week!

I failed my low-buy this month because I knew I would be doing a year-long low buy next year anyways lol

BUT I canceled Ipsy.

I've spent $20 this month on essentials. This is an accomplishment for me because I'm usually one of those "buy it because it's pretty even if you don't need it" spenders. I've been tempted many times, though (makeupgeek eyeshadows omg...), and I often feel like I'm tempted to buy stuff because I know next year is a no-buy. kind of like eating all the chocolate possible because a diet is in the impending future.

I am trying to curb such a compulsive buying. I don't have anything else I need. I have been trying to give myself incentives by making a wishlist of things I can buy once 2014 is done. Mostly a few tom ford blushes (...I swear, I have an obsession with blush - I already have a ton but I keep wanting others) and ....more eyeshadow. I remember when I started wearing makeup I didn't like the idea of blusher and eyeshadow, yet somehow those are the two things I lust over the most. 

Gahh! 

All in all, though, $20 on essentials/staples I needed is good I think. It's the least I've spent EVER. 

Stay strong ladies! 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've spent $20 this month on essentials. This is an accomplishment for me because I'm usually one of those "buy it because it's pretty even if you don't need it" spenders. I've been tempted many times, though (makeupgeek eyeshadows omg...), and I often feel like I'm tempted to buy stuff because I know next year is a no-buy. kind of like eating all the chocolate possible because a diet is in the impending future.

I am trying to curb such a compulsive buying. I don't have anything else I need. I have been trying to give myself incentives by making a wishlist of things I can buy once 2014 is done. Mostly a few tom ford blushes (...I swear, I have an obsession with blush - I already have a ton but I keep wanting others) and ....more eyeshadow. I remember when I started wearing makeup I didn't like the idea of blusher and eyeshadow, yet somehow those are the two things I lust over the most. 

Gahh! 

All in all, though, $20 on essentials/staples I needed is good I think. It's the least I've spent EVER. 

Stay strong ladies! 

Well done! 

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well done! 
thanks! its tough (bath and body works has such good sales going on right now), but i'm trying. 

Ooh yeah I used to be frustrated about buying blush cause I couldn't figure out the shades. Now I love them! Okay guys. I've been doing REALLY well. I didn't buy any non-necessities (well, including things like base and topcoat) in all of December. And now I am staying away from the Trader Joe's scrub trio, the Pacifica body butter trio, the Bath and Body Works sale AND the Lush sale! You guys! I didn't think I could do it! But I'm doing it! I am only allowed to replenish night cream this month, and concealer, powder and eye cream next month. Also! I used up two full nail polishes and am at the last few drops of three more!

Quote: Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh yeah I used to be frustrated about buying blush cause I couldn't figure out the shades. Now I love them!

Okay guys. I've been doing REALLY well. I didn't buy any non-necessities (well, including things like base and topcoat) in all of December. And now I am staying away from the Trader Joe's scrub trio, the Pacifica body butter trio, the Bath and Body Works sale AND the Lush sale! You guys! I didn't think I could do it! But I'm doing it! I am only allowed to replenish night cream this month, and concealer, powder and eye cream next month.

Also! I used up two full nail polishes and am at the last few drops of three more!
that bath and body works sale is SO tempting. I've been wanting body butters and shower gel. 

Back