December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Sephora added a bunch of Tarte stuff to their sales. Blush for $14 and eyeshadow quads for $10. I put it some stuff in my cart, felt guilty, and took it out. BUT I STILL HAVE THE URGE TO GO BACK AND ADD IT AND BUY IT. Ugh. I should just delete the Sephora app from my phone and the issue of browsing through the sales during work would be avoided completely.

Quote: Originally Posted by whoadangjamie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So Sephora added a bunch of Tarte stuff to their sales. Blush for $14 and eyeshadow quads for $10. I put it some stuff in my cart, felt guilty, and took it out. BUT I STILL HAVE THE URGE TO GO BACK AND ADD IT AND BUY IT.

Ugh. I should just delete the Sephora app from my phone and the issue of browsing through the sales during work would be avoided completely.
NOOOOO I LOVE TARTE WHY WHY WHYYYYY!!!!???
icon_cry.gif

icon_lol.gif

But seriously, no buying for me! Come on, no buying! It's Christmas- we just have to remember that we shouldn't be spending on ourselves right now, even if it's a good deal. Plus, let's be honest, the reason we even clicked into this thread is because we know we have some type of reason that it's a good idea not to buy random stuff right now.

Guys, December is almost over, you can do it!

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  NOOOOO I LOVE TARTE WHY WHY WHYYYYY!!!!???
icon_cry.gif

icon_lol.gif

But seriously, no buying for me! Come on, no buying! It's Christmas- we just have to remember that we shouldn't be spending on ourselves right now, even if it's a good deal. Plus, let's be honest, the reason we even clicked into this thread is because we know we have some type of reason that it's a good idea not to buy random stuff right now.
Yeah I am definitely needing to resist with all of my might.  My cat got sick and I just dropped like $300 I only sort of have on vet care for him, so really should not buy things.  

Yeah I am definitely needing to resist with all of my might.  My cat got sick and I just dropped like $300 I only sort of have on vet care for him, so really should not buy things.  
Oh no, poor kitty! Just concentrate on your furry one right now. Anything you might want to purchase will be there later.

I made it 20 whole days with NO polish purchases!!! Can you even believe it?? Today was flower shopping for the wedding, got those ordered. Now we are on our way to look at invitations.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made it 20 whole days with NO polish purchases!!! Can you even believe it??

Today was flower shopping for the wedding, got those ordered. Now we are on our way to look at invitations.
Proud of you!!!! I have incorporated my nail polishes into my rotation as well. I don't have a very large amount of them -- around 50 bottles or so. compared to others this is just a "decent" selection, but I want to make sure I at least get the most use out of these. 

I am also INCREDIBLY impressed by the  quality of julep nail polish! I got 2 from a friend and holy wow. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Proud of you!!!! I have incorporated my nail polishes into my rotation as well. I don't have a very large amount of them -- around 50 bottles or so. compared to others this is just a "decent" selection, but I want to make sure I at least get the most use out of these. 

I am also INCREDIBLY impressed by the  quality of julep nail polish! I got 2 from a friend and holy wow. 
Yeah I am proud of myself this month.  having secret santa nails gifts and a swap have helped but I havenot purchased any polish and I have been wearing what I do have! 

I'm also using up my nail polish strips, which is great!  I have Christmas swirl ones on now (and hoping they last through christmas) and then I have some ally hansen ones my ss nails gave me to use after that for new year.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah I am proud of myself this month.  having secret santa nails gifts and a swap have helped but I havenot purchased any polish and I have been wearing what I do have! 

I'm also using up my nail polish strips, which is great!  I have Christmas swirl ones on now (and hoping they last through christmas) and then I have some ally hansen ones my ss nails gave me to use after that for new year.
I have a box of little nail polish strips but I haven't used them in ages. The last time I tried them they looked great but I left them on for so long that my nails ended up peeling and brittle :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, no purchases so far! woop woop! then I go on vacation come Tuesday and  will be spending the rest of December at home with the hubby. No crazy shopping sprees.

That said, I sat down with the husband and we went through all of the things we have in our house, all of our belongings that either needed to go or find new homes (hello, goodwill), and also through my makeup stash. I tossed a few things, mostly old things, and we talked about our financial goals for the year. He and I both agreed to do what we had done years prior when saving up, and that is to budget everything out and give ourselves a small allowance every month (which helps so much in keeping us from overspending).

I mentioned my no-buy, but I know he would feel bad taking an allowance if I am not, so I conceded the point and decided to switch 2014 to a low buy instead. (I can't deny him a small budget for himself from his own hard earned money as is, and I'd feel awful doing so!). That means that we get $75 a month - which for him would basically cover a  video game, and for me, well, I might just transfer my budget to my personal savings and keep for either something big, for emergencies, or for something I REALLY want. At any rate, I'll continue on a steady course through using all of the things I have now. I'm hoping to seriously clear house by the time next christmas comes around. 

I bought two body butters at the Pacifica warehouse sale, and THAT WAS IT!  Well, okay, plus a few things for presents, but for the purpose of this no-buy, a salt block for my brother and gift certificates to the taxidermy shop for his wife don't count.  Or groceries, since it was that time of the pay cycle.  And one of the body butters is a gift:  It's a present for Appreciate a Dragon Day (yes, I'm serious.  It's really A Thing!) because it's okay for dragons to be scaly, but humans should not be.  And I have been looking at the Sephora sale stuff and deciding, "Meh, I don't really want any of this stuff."  I'M EVEN PASSING ON THE 50% OFF GLAMOUR DOLL EYES FLASH SALE!  This is a *major* achievement for me.  Words cannot express how badly I want to place an order  because half price!, but I *know* I have more than enough already, not to mention a whole bunch I haven't even opened yet because I've been using my Cyber Monday shadows for the past couple of weeks.  Since this is the December thread, I'll just vow to not buy any more for the rest of the month, and then I can work on January rules (I know I *will* be buying some GDE in January, but I need to focus on one month at a time right now!).

I've been really good so far this month!! I did make a decent sized nail polish order but I did have a paypal credit so it wasn't really too bad. I also bought my hula hoop but these are things I really wanted for awhile so I decided to treat myself for Christmas. I MIGHT buy something from Lush's Boxing Day sale but idk yet. I know writing this totally doesn't sound like a no/low buy but for me, I've done really well! 

Keep up the good work, everyone.  Holidays can be extra stressful (and weddings on top of that, oh my!), so stay strong.  We're nearly there.

I'm trying to talk myself out of the body scrub trio at Trader Joe's and the Lush 2-for-1 sale. The $20 total could go toward more important things, but quality of life and hobbies are important too...

That trader joes set is kind of unbelievably awesome. (I promise I didn't purchase it- my husband gave it to me as an early Christmas present) but now I want their coconut body butter and to try there skincare line...someone help me!!!

That trader joes set is kind of unbelievably awesome. (I promise I didn't purchase it- my husband gave it to me as an early Christmas present) but now I want their coconut body butter and to try there skincare line...someone help me!!!
Oh dear....well allow me to enable you in return: I hear their face serum is secretly Dr. Brandt. Don't quote me on that though.

Oh dear....well allow me to enable you in return: I hear their face serum is secretly Dr. Brandt. Don't quote me on that though.
Thank goodness it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest trader joes. However once I use up all my current skin care products...that's what I'm allowed to purchase! I went to Ulta this morning to buy my mother in law a gift and saw naked3 in person. I think my heart skipped a beat. I was good and didn't purchase it. But NYX eyeshadows were B1G1 50% so I bought a rosy shimmer shade (flamingo) and a lighter tan (i think its called my favorite color) to go along with my naked1. Plus I had a 20% coupon. I know I shouldn't have bought those shades but i don't have anything like them and at least I didn't purchase naked 3!!

I just caved! We needed a new mattress pad so I went to Kohl's website and ordered one, then somehow a Candies Nail polish set made its way into my cart. Then another single nail polish from Sugar Nail found its way into my cart as well. I did have a gift card that I received last Christmas that I forgot to use, so I used that today, and I went through ebates (which I almost never remember to do) and I used the 30% off code and the free shipping code and only spent $5.80 out of pocket. So I am counting it as a buy, but I'm not going to feel bad about it. The majority of the gift card went for something we really needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just caved! We needed a new mattress pad so I went to Kohl's website and ordered one, then somehow a Candies Nail polish set made its way into my cart. Then another single nail polish from Sugar Nail found its way into my cart as well.

I did have a gift card that I received last Christmas that I forgot to use, so I used that today, and I went through ebates (which I almost never remember to do) and I used the 30% off code and the free shipping code and only spent $5.80 out of pocket. So I am counting it as a buy, but I'm not going to feel bad about it. The majority of the gift card went for something we really needed.
i had never heard of ebates. Will keep this one in mind as the new year starts. going to start using mint.com to manage my budget. 

Oh dear. In addition to the scrubs I mentioned above, now Target has a set of three trial-size Pacifica body butters for $15. I won't let myself pass that up. My wish list for the year is getting longer and longer....

I have been doing really good with my no buy this month. I still have my Ipsy and my Birchbox, which really help, but even when I walk through the makeup isles at the stores I go to, I have not been tempted to buy anything.

Unfortunately, I did get tempted and spent just under $10 on some indie shadows. I had wanted a couple of them before, but this company does small batches and the last time she had these colors up they were gone before I got to them.

Anyway, I am vowing to not buy anything else until after this month. I will definitely be getting some giftcards and such anyway, so there is really no reason for me to be spending my money. And, getting a bit personal, this is part of a larger plan. My husband and I always seem to get to financial issues towards the end of the year. Another thing I have been working on is eating/cooking at home as much as possible. I think we actually went this whole last week and definitely this whole weekend without eating out/getting takeout/getting fast food. I know that probably sounds like normal stuff to a lot of people, but for us that is a big accomplishment and since I do all of the cooking, it is a pretty big deal for me because it also means I felt good enough health-wise to cook all week too.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJessicaMary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have been doing really good with my no buy this month. I still have my Ipsy and my Birchbox, which really help, but even when I walk through the makeup isles at the stores I go to, I have not been tempted to buy anything.

Unfortunately, I did get tempted and spent just under $10 on some indie shadows. I had wanted a couple of them before, but this company does small batches and the last time she had these colors up they were gone before I got to them.

Anyway, I am vowing to not buy anything else until after this month. I will definitely be getting some giftcards and such anyway, so there is really no reason for me to be spending my money. And, getting a bit personal, this is part of a larger plan. My husband and I always seem to get to financial issues towards the end of the year. Another thing I have been working on is eating/cooking at home as much as possible. I think we actually went this whole last week and definitely this whole weekend without eating out/getting takeout/getting fast food. I know that probably sounds like normal stuff to a lot of people, but for us that is a big accomplishment and since I do all of the cooking, it is a pretty big deal for me because it also means I felt good enough health-wise to cook all week too.

That is most definitely a HUGE deal. Around my household we're two busy 20 and 30-somethings and the biggest thing we struggle with is actually cooking our meals and getting healthy choices into our stomachs. lol so My hat off to you. My hubby and I's goal is to actually clean up our diet and start cooking at home more often... I should start looking for recipes. 

Back