December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  One of the ones I franken-lippied (I broke apart 4 lipsticks lol) was a MAC frost (florabundi--it was a nice color but looked kind of chalky on me). It turned out fine! I think if the frost or glitter in the lipstick is really big, it might sink to the bottom of the tube or container you are using, so if you want to keep it a similar texture, stir like crazy and it should distribute pretty nicely.

Next project for me: dig out and melt some stuff from old palettes into more-portable tubes! I hate palettes that have both powders and lip stuff--suuuuper inconvenient and the lipsticks get all powdery and gross.
Hmm! I don't know how to tell if the frost is "big", but I want it to go away! I wonder if just melting it down and letting the frost fall out would work...

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hmm! I don't know how to tell if the frost is "big", but I want it to go away! I wonder if just melting it down and letting the frost fall out would work...
I think it depends on the exact formulation of the lipstick! A lot of the frost could probably be made to go away if you let it sit after you melt it, and carefully move the top layer. You probably can't get all of it to go away, though!

Also, depending on if you really love the shade, etc, you could dilute down the frost by mixing with a balm (homemade like in my instructions or a commercial one you have lying around) or by mixing with another shade.

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think it depends on the exact formulation of the lipstick! A lot of the frost could probably be made to go away if you let it sit after you melt it, and carefully move the top layer. You probably can't get all of it to go away, though!

Also, depending on if you really love the shade, etc, you could dilute down the frost by mixing with a balm (homemade like in my instructions or a commercial one you have lying around) or by mixing with another shade.
Hmm, well, if nothing else this lippy could become a really fun experiment for me! I'll let you know how it goes if I decide to melt it down.

One last question: is there a way to get it back to its original lippy shape? Or can I just shove it all back into the original twist-up tube and hope it works normally?

Quote: Originally Posted by kotoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hmm, well, if nothing else this lippy could become a really fun experiment for me! I'll let you know how it goes if I decide to melt it down.

One last question: is there a way to get it back to its original lippy shape? Or can I just shove it all back into the original twist-up tube and hope it works normally?
Lol I'm obv procrastinating at work >< lol.

I found this tutorial when I was looking for tips on melting lipsticks on how to get it "tube shaped" again: http://ofdreamsandseams.blogspot.com/2011/09/tutorial-melting-making-new-lipsticks.html but you can also buy a mold if you plan on doing this a lot and it's important to you.

I don't think it would work to pour it back into a lipstick tube, b/c most lipsticks are actually thinner than their containers (aka they're a bullet shape that doesn't touch the sides of the tube). But most lipBALM tubes, like chapstick, should be "repourable" because that's how balms are usually made!

I had initially decided that I would be allowed *one* Sephora purchase this month, and it would be Naked3.  Then I decided that I could wait until January because I wanted it for my birthday.  Then the $20 coupon landed, so it was back on.  Then I realized that I'm *broke*, so it was back off.  Then I got a $100 gift card at work.  I now own Naked3.  I can't decide whether I broke my low-buy or not since it kept going on and off my list, and I ultimately bought it as a prize/present to myself with you-are-excellent money.

ETA:  I did put it away because I wanted its first use to be on my birthday.  Aside from things like Sephora/Starbucks/Starlooks freebies, I don't get birthday presents, so that's pretty much going to be my only real birthday happy.

Just 3 more days and I will have made it through the month with out shopping. I'm cheating on my "month" no buy by going out of town during the month and I wont be able to shop for beauty products where I'm going

Quote: Originally Posted by GabiGirl67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Just 3 more days and I will have made it through the month with out shopping. I'm cheating on my "month" no buy by going out of town during the month and I wont be able to shop for beauty products where I'm going
woop woop! go go go. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I had initially decided that I would be allowed *one* Sephora purchase this month, and it would be Naked3.  Then I decided that I could wait until January because I wanted it for my birthday.  Then the $20 coupon landed, so it was back on.  Then I realized that I'm *broke*, so it was back off.  Then I got a $100 gift card at work.  I now own Naked3.  I can't decide whether I broke my low-buy or not since it kept going on and off my list, and I ultimately bought it as a prize/present to myself with you-are-excellent money.

ETA:  I did put it away because I wanted its first use to be on my birthday.  Aside from things like Sephora/Starbucks/Starlooks freebies, I don't get birthday presents, so that's pretty much going to be my only real birthday happy.
not a break off the low-buy, i don't think, considering it was purchased with a gift card so --- .... free!!!!!!

tell me how you like naked 3. I've been eyeing it, but keep backing off because I'm very warm toned and don't know if the colors would just look weird on me.

Update on my no-buy: so far, so good. I DID go out and get 1 item - NYC Sunny bronzer, for $3. But this only as a result of me looking like death come this time of winter. all my other bronzers are too dark for winter time :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so sunny seemed like the perfect addition. I am considering said purchase a necessity.

I am now also sick of the massive amounts of LOTION I have. I received a bunch of body butters as gifts... I might need more than 1 body to finish these. 2 from B&BW from a friend, and 2 from The body shop courtesy of my hubby. one of them is jumbo sized. At least I won't have dry skin this winter..? lol. 

I should jump on this frankenlippie bandwagon. I have Mac Angel, which everyone raves about but I feel is a taaaaaaaddd too cool and light for me, so perhaps infusing some darker peach might bring it back to a more wearable pinky nude for me. 

You sound exaclty like me. I am sure I have enough foundation and lip gloss to last me two years...it's insane. I am starting a no buy for 2014. The only thing I bought this month are a set of Sigma brushes, which doesn't really count as make up products......oh my, listen to me! lol, so we can help each other out for 2014. I also have a few exceptions, like my beauty boxes...I only have 2...and possibly on a waiting list for Ipsy..oh geez...and I can only purchase make up if I use my free drug store rewards program and don't pay a penny....it's gonna be a long year!

oookay I almost made an unnecessary nail polish order because it felt like a "good deal," but I reminded myself that even "good deals" are a waste of money if it's not something I really need. I had literally put all the info for my order through and hovered over the "place order" button until I realized what I was doing. Then I imagined my BF asking what I got in the mail, and having to admit it's another nail polish even though I told him I'm done buying polish for a long while. Crisis averted and reading this thread has helped me think through my purchases more rather than immediately punch in my CC #. 

Stay strong everyone, your stash is amazing so just play around in that for awhile, :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oookay I almost made an unnecessary nail polish order because it felt like a "good deal," but I reminded myself that even "good deals" are a waste of money if it's not something I really need. I had literally put all the info for my order through and hovered over the "place order" button until I realized what I was doing. Then I imagined my BF asking what I got in the mail, and having to admit it's another nail polish even though I told him I'm done buying polish for a long while. Crisis averted and reading this thread has helped me think through my purchases more rather than immediately punch in my CC #. 

Stay strong everyone, your stash is amazing so just play around in that for awhile, :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
claps.gif
Yaaay! Glad you were able to resist!

I'm DYING to go to Walgreens/CVS and check out whats in their beauty clearance. But I'm going to resist. Instead I'm going to go browse around other places to (hopefully) finish my Christmas shopping. I played around with my stash of lippies and swatched them all on my hand last night. That was fun. I realized I need to not be impulsive and buy lippies that clearly won't look good on me! 

I'm also really tempted to order lots and lots of nail polish. Damn those indie brands and their limited editions. Sigh. Maybe after Christmas and if I get some money. 

I'm thinking about giving Ipsy and BB one more month then cancelling them both or just cancel Ipsy. I'm acquiring too much makeup! It saddens me to cancel - well that and fear of missing something good but I think I need to do it. 

I've also started on a 2014 goals and to-do list. I almost never do a new years resolution thing but this year is going to be a big change hopefully. 

You guys are giving me so much hope and strength! GO all of you, you are AWESOME!!!!

@meaganola I'm kind of in the same boat as you- I wanted N3 for my birthday, and wasn't going to spend any in December, but then I got that $15 off $20 thing from Sephora, and thought... gosh, if I don't use that and wait until January that's $15 more bucks I'll have to pay to get it! Only problem now is I have to make a purchase at Sephora in January to get my b-day present..... and now I am not sure what I'm going to get, but I'm thinking instead of making an online order I'll go in-store and just get something cheaper - they still have to give me my present right? Hehehahha!

Ok hmmm..... I did really badly for December. I just realize that I can't handle all the sales and everything. I basically have to either not spend any other time of year and say it's OK to spend during the holidays, or just NOT look during the holidays because I'll be too tempted.

I need help! But I can do it, we all can!

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You guys are giving me so much hope and strength! GO all of you, you are AWESOME!!!!

@meaganola I'm kind of in the same boat as you- I wanted N3 for my birthday, and wasn't going to spend any in December, but then I got that $15 off $20 thing from Sephora, and thought... gosh, if I don't use that and wait until January that's $15 more bucks I'll have to pay to get it! Only problem now is I have to make a purchase at Sephora in January to get my b-day present..... and now I am not sure what I'm going to get, but I'm thinking instead of making an online order I'll go in-store and just get something cheaper - they still have to give me my present right? Hehehahha!

Ok hmmm..... I did really badly for December. I just realize that I can't handle all the sales and everything. I basically have to either not spend any other time of year and say it's OK to spend during the holidays, or just NOT look during the holidays because I'll be too tempted.

I need help! But I can do it, we all can!

Sales are so tempting. I'd say get rid of all your email subscriptions, that way you won't be tempted by the sales so much. I did that and it really helped, I didn't spend a dime on makeup this month yet. I think it's a great idea to save up for holiday season next year! That way you can build a wishlist, and then decide how much you are going to spend when the holiday sales come along. I find that when something is on my wishlist for a long time, I often don't even want it that much anymore, I get over it.

Remember though, urban decay is going to pump out naked palettes as long as they are selling, so you can bet on a naked4 or ultimateNaked within two years time. Companies will always come out with new products and make you feel that you NEED them.

For myself I am trying to stick with what works. I love my skin79 bb cream for example, but instead of trying out a ton more bb creams in an attempt to find a better one or a backup brand (in case they decide to discontinue the product) I am just going to use the skin79 one as long as I enjoy it. If one day It doesn't suit me anymore, or I can't buy it anymore, I have the wonderful internet to show me alternatives and dupes.

I find that the longer I don't spend money, the easier it gets. I did recently splurge on some christmas decorations and a few pretty storage boxes, and I am so much happier with my purchase than I used to be! Now that I stopped buying things, I get more joy when I do buy something. Buying things has become a treat again, and I know that I will definitely use everything that I buy. It's a great feeling.

Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sales are so tempting. I'd say get rid of all your email subscriptions, that way you won't be tempted by the sales so much. I did that and it really helped, I didn't spend a dime on makeup this month yet. I think it's a great idea to save up for holiday season next year! That way you can build a wishlist, and then decide how much you are going to spend when the holiday sales come along. I find that when something is on my wishlist for a long time, I often don't even want it that much anymore, I get over it.

Remember though, urban decay is going to pump out naked palettes as long as they are selling, so you can bet on a naked4 or ultimateNaked within two years time. Companies will always come out with new products and make you feel that you NEED them.

For myself I am trying to stick with what works. I love my skin79 bb cream for example, but instead of trying out a ton more bb creams in an attempt to find a better one or a backup brand (in case they decide to discontinue the product) I am just going to use the skin79 one as long as I enjoy it. If one day It doesn't suit me anymore, or I can't buy it anymore, I have the wonderful internet to show me alternatives and dupes.

I find that the longer I don't spend money, the easier it gets. I did recently splurge on some christmas decorations and a few pretty storage boxes, and I am so much happier with my purchase than I used to be! Now that I stopped buying things, I get more joy when I do buy something. Buying things has become a treat again, and I know that I will definitely use everything that I buy. It's a great feeling.
Gosh, I love everything about this post.

Quote:Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I needed to read this today! Thank you! I hope that backing of the sensless spending will get a little easier with each passing day. In turn, I'll feel more excited about checking my bank accounts, and I'll actually be more "excited" to decide to splurge a little and buy something I've been wanting (as opposed to a whole bunch of little GWPs and useless crap I don't need).

Wow I am so glad that I stumbled upon this thread, because i need support.  December is the hardest for me.  I hope to start my no/low buy pact in 2014.  Any tips for first time starters?  December season had crazy sales online and this year introduced new palettes from quality brands like the Naked 3 Palette.

But I MUST stop I seriously cannot afford to keep up
scared.gif
.  I liked the author when she said that she will look back into her collection to find a dupe or something similar.  That is what i must do.  Tips and tricks are helpful,  please give me strengh for the new year.

Honestly, It was my wedding that started my makeup obssesion.  I wanted to do my own makeup so i started buying a few products that were recommended for staying power and I liked them.  It was down hill from there!  Now we're saving for a house and that is so slow and I need to not buy stuff and stop watching you tube.  I wish you luck!

Quote: Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm DYING to go to Walgreens/CVS and check out whats in their beauty clearance. But I'm going to resist. Instead I'm going to go browse around other places to (hopefully) finish my Christmas shopping. I played around with my stash of lippies and swatched them all on my hand last night. That was fun. I realized I need to not be impulsive and buy lippies that clearly won't look good on me! 

I'm also really tempted to order lots and lots of nail polish. Damn those indie brands and their limited editions. Sigh. Maybe after Christmas and if I get some money. 

I'm thinking about giving Ipsy and BB one more month then cancelling them both or just cancel Ipsy. I'm acquiring too much makeup! It saddens me to cancel - well that and fear of missing something good but I think I need to do it. 

I've also started on a 2014 goals and to-do list. I almost never do a new years resolution thing but this year is going to be a big change hopefully. 
I have the same problem! I want to cancel Ipsy because for the past few months, I haven't been getting the bags I actually want, and maybe that means I should just buy makeup on my own instead of getting a grab bag of stuff I don't care for, even though it's a good deal. I am getting so many lipsticks that I'll never finish them. I keep saying, "Well, that person on YouTube has way more lipsticks than I do," but that doesn't matter because I still don't need every lipstick color ever created.

I am also scared that I'll cancel and then next month will be amazing... but someone on here told me that I can always try to swap for an item that I really want.

I have started making a list of items I really want and buying them periodically so I know that I really want them and I'm not just buying tons of makeup impulsively at one time.

Quote: Originally Posted by lindzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have the same problem! I want to cancel Ipsy because for the past few months, I haven't been getting the bags I actually want, and maybe that means I should just buy makeup on my own instead of getting a grab bag of stuff I don't care for, even though it's a good deal. I am getting so many lipsticks that I'll never finish them. I keep saying, "Well, that person on YouTube has way more lipsticks than I do," but that doesn't matter because I still don't need every lipstick color ever created.

I am also scared that I'll cancel and then next month will be amazing... but someone on here told me that I can always try to swap for an item that I really want.

I have started making a list of items I really want and buying them periodically so I know that I really want them and I'm not just buying tons of makeup impulsively at one time.
Yeah I cancelled Ipsy 6 months ish ago now and I have no regrets.  The best bag for me was the one with the agran oil and after that it went downhill for me.  It was a LOT of makeup and polish, and only a small amount of it worked for me, and it all just got to be toooo much.  I do think it's a great value if you like the stuff they send you, but if you don't usually and/or if you do like it but already have lots of makeup and rarely use what you get, it's no longer a good deal. I actually think the smaller samples in BB are an advantage to me- I can most always use them up within a month and get excited for my next box (though I'm not crying or anything on the occasions when they send me a full sized item haha).

Latest posts

Back