Depotting MAC e/s instructions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will definitely help me! Thanks for posting!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif I saw this on another site and thought I would share it. (Perhaps a mod could make it a sticky?)
Giving Credit where Credit is Due

Candle Method:

1. using a small knife like an x-acto, place the tip of the blade right into the little split in the pot

2. close up of split: insert the tip of the blade in this area and gently rotate
3. the smaller inner pot will "pop" right out of the larger outer pot
4. using tweezers hold the edges of the plastic pot over a candle (or lighter) until the bottom is soft and melted
5. working over a soft towel slide the tip of your x-acto knife in between the pan and the plastic pot
6. if you melted the bottom enough the pan will either lift right out or fall out on its own - caution the pan is still hot!
http://soupsake.com/makeup/candle.jpg

Hot Screwdriver Method:
1. find the area just below where the threads start on the inner pot
2. using the tip of your blade gently pry apart the two sections
3. if you can get them only partially separated you may need to gently pull them apart with your hands
4. during the separating portion you should leave the tip of a screwdriver to sit on some for of heating element
5. using gentle pressure with the hot screwdriver start pressing on the center back of the inner pot
6. take your time - do not force it - the heat will do the work for you. you may need to take a break and re-heat your screwdriver also
http://soupsake.com/makeup/hotscrewdriver.jpg
after completing these steps your eye shadows are almost ready for a palette. you will probably want to clean off any excess glue - use something like "goo gone", mineral spirits, lighter fuel - but be careful not to get any on your eye shadow. You can purchase small magnets at craft stores but I like to use what's free - all those freebie "business card" type magnets you get from pizza places, etc. They are the perfect thickness and can be cut easily to size. I place a drop of super glue on the back of my pan and then affix the magnet to it. When dry I can label the magnet with a little sticker to indicate the color and then pop it right into my palette.

Hope that this helps!

Awwwww... Makeup Addict.org... great Site!!
makeupaddict.org - depotting tutorials

thanks for these instructions. I finally got all my eyeshaows from the pots and into the 15 shadow palettes. I have enough to fill2 full palettes and got 4 free glosses and eyeshadows from MAC
smile.gif

I Actually Did This Myself. I Depotted About 25 Eyeshadows. Once You Get The Hang Out It, Its Actually Pretty Easy. Do Not Force The Eyeshadow Out Of The Pot, Even If You've Put It Over A Flame. I Got Inpatient And Forced A Few Out. I Ended Up With A Few Cracked Shadows. If You Have A Hard Time, Leave It Over The Flame A Little Longer. The Smell Of Melting Plastic Is Horrible And Actually Bad For You - But I Just Dealt With It. Good Luck.

This thread was awesome! Thank you for the help. I used the candle method and stuck the edge (where the piece hooks into the plastic container) into the last slot of a fork sideways to hold it over the flame directly. I also used a babywipe to place the e/s on while it cooled because they get quite hot.

I just tried the candle method and it worked like a charm! I dont have any magnets so I just placed the e/s onto paper so it could stick to the glue. Then I cut the paper out around the e/s therefore making my own label where I can write the color. On my second batch, I then realized that if I heated the underneath of the pot where the label/name of the eyeshadow is, the label will bubble a bit and you can then peel if off and place it on the back of the eye shadow pan.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Back