Do You Avoid Cosmetics That Are Made in China?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on this issue. I know of people who refuse to buy any beauty products that are made in China. I share the same sense of "made in China" meaning "low quality," but on the other hand, a large percentage of the prescription drugs that we take are made in China, as are computers, cell phones, and so many other things that we use on a daily basis. I picked up a Stila blush today and noticed, after taking it home, that it was made in China. (A lot of Stila's products seem to be made there.) What are y'all's thoughts on this?

I don't really care as long as its a good product. I'm not so uppity as to shun all products made in China. if its worth what I'm paying for it, then I want it. I wonder if people in China have the same feelings about products that are made in America or other places.

I would be an absolute hypocrite if I said I wouldn't buy cosmetics made in China because I do buy cosmetics made in China.

I don't avoid products made in china, but I will not buy from companies that sell in China.

Originally Posted by SnowLeopard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't avoid products made in china, but I will not buy from companies that sell in China.
exactly! that's what I was going to say XD

I prefer makeup items not made in China, and do look at labels to see where they came from.  But, I've got a few Wet n' Wild, NYC and ELF items that are made in China, so there ya go. 

I'm not sure I understand - you won't buy if they retail the product in China, or you won't buy a product off of a shelf in China? 

I will buy made-in-China products that are over-seen by a trustworthy brand. I try to avoid private label personal care and food items that are made there. And actually, many Chinese mainlanders do the same - they go to Hong Kong and buy up all the personal care and luxury items from Hong Kong (and in general, people in Hong Kong are very pissed off about this because it's running up the prices for them). Vitamins, shampoos, cosmetics, beauty items... and luxury brand goods...Many Chinese people don't trust the retailing in China.

If you trust the company (brand) to oversee the quality of the production of the item in China, then you're fine. It's a bigger issue than just is it made in China by Chinese people. If manufacturing controls are lax (anywhere in the world), the product is not going to be of good quality....think American cars in the 1980s. 

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you trust the company (brand) to oversee the quality of the production of the item in China, then you're fine. It's a bigger issue than just is it made in China by Chinese people. If manufacturing controls are lax (anywhere in the world), the product is not going to be of good quality....think American cars in the 1980s. 
Think American cars still... XD Japanese and European are much better. I would rather have a Toyota than any GM...

I will not buy from any brand that sells their products in China. Example: Estée Lauder and its subsidiaries sell in China, therefore I will not buy anything from EL brands.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I meant is, I won't buy products that ship from China, from unknown brands.
Fair enough. 

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Think American cars still... XD Japanese and European are much better. I would rather have a Toyota than any GM...
LOL!  I can see where you're coming from on this...though what is "American"-made is is very difficult to define now. Daimler (aka mercedes) owned Chrysler...Ford sold Volvo to the Chinese. Toyotas sold in the US are almost all assembled in the US (granted from parts that have been made everywhere....).

There is merit to Apple's little "designed in California, made in China" line....the design and what business decisions go into how the product is made really matters.....and that's decided on by the company...so no-name companies...who knows what their standards are. There's a reason we pay a premium for brands that we recognize and trust....

Sorry if I sound preachy and academic :/   

I will not buy from any brand that sells their products in China. Example: Estée Lauder and its subsidiaries sell in China, therefore I will not buy anything from EL brands.
Wow, why? That cuts out a lot of brands.  

The Chinese government requires animal testing for cosmetics sold in China. It's incredibly cruel as well as outdated and unnecessary. I would encourage you to google "cosmetic animal testing" to learn about this horrendous practice. There are plenty of cruelty free brands such as Tarte, Too Faced, Stila, Urban Decay, and Nyx just to name a few. I never feel limited by buying only cruelty free beauty products.

Wow, I never even thought of that.  Since there has been lead and other harmful substances found in kids toys, baby formula, and toothpaste manufactured in China, if would be safe to assume that there might be in cosmetics as well.

The Chinese government requires animal testing for cosmetics sold in China. It's incredibly cruel as well as outdated and unnecessary. I would encourage you to google "cosmetic animal testing" to learn about this horrendous practice. There are plenty of cruelty free brands such as Tarte, Too Faced, Stila, Urban Decay, and Nyx just to name a few. I never feel limited by buying only cruelty free beauty products.
I didn't know that they require animal testing. Good to know. 

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fair enough. 

LOL!  I can see where you're coming from on this...though what is "American"-made is is very difficult to define now. Daimler (aka mercedes) owned Chrysler...Ford sold Volvo to the Chinese. Toyotas sold in the US are almost all assembled in the US (granted from parts that have been made everywhere....).

There is merit to Apple's little "designed in California, made in China" line....the design and what business decisions go into how the product is made really matters.....and that's decided on by the company...so no-name companies...who knows what their standards are. There's a reason we pay a premium for brands that we recognize and trust....

Sorry if I sound preachy and academic :/   
mhm, as long as the company is trustworthy it's all good...my bf's Jetta is mexican made, but it's better than the newer ones...the company matters, wherever is made is just manual labor...and it'll b the same everywhere...

Yeah that's why there was such a backlash when Urban Decay announced they were going to start selling in China. Estée Lauder was a leader in fighting animal testing for a long time, like since the 1970's, but they abandoned their policy for compassion by entering China. They (EL) were actually paying for animal testing by third parties in secret while claiming to be cruelty free.

No, I don't avoid them. I prefer cosmetics made here or in Europe, however I will also buy from china- that isn't a deal breaker.

Pretty much 99% of make-ups out there on the market are manufactured in China... Under the specifications of their respective Brand. In other words, a rep from a North American cosmetic company takes a trip to one of these factories in China to over-see it's quality control and manufacturing practices to make sure it conforms to their required specs.

As for shipping or shipping companies, China for some weird reason, only ships in minimum quantity orders of 100,000 or more. They think whoever places an order from NA, thinks that, that person is a company. Go figure.

So yes, I buy products made in China, but only from legit branded companies who have stand-alone stores here in NA, for example MAC, Kryolan, MUFE, Eve Pearl, and from legit 3rd party resellers such as Alcone, Naimies, Frends and Sephora.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pretty much 99% of make-ups out there on the market are manufactured in China... Under the specifications of their respective Brand. In other words, a rep from a North American cosmetic company takes a trip to one of these factories in China to over-see it's quality control and manufacturing practices to make sure it conforms to their required specs.

As for shipping or shipping companies, China for some weird reason, only ships in minimum quantity orders of 100,000 or more. They think whoever places an order from NA, thinks that, that person is a company. Go figure.

So yes, I buy products made in China, but only from legit branded companies who have stand-alone stores here in NA, for example MAC, Kryolan, MUFE, Eve Pearl, and from legit 3rd party resellers such as Alcone, Naimies, Frends and Sephora.
Curious as to the "Made in USA", "Made in Belgium" I'm seeing on brands like Tarte, Bare Escentuals, Estee Lauder, etc.  Are they part of the 1% not made in China or is there some loophole they are using to say "Made in whatever country other than China"?

Back