Do you Vaccinate your children?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a book listing for anyone interested.

Quote:
Books:
"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Childhood Immunizations" by Dr. Stephanie Cave (This book and the next are great starting points. This one has some very thorough but simple explanations about autism and other autoimmune conditions related to vaccines, the history of each vaccine and the production of each vaccine. I am SO glad I read it because it clarified a LOT of things about vaccines that I have heard about. Very worth reading!! This next one is great as well...)

The Parent's Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations; Practical Medical and Natural Ways to Protect Your Child by Dr. Lauren Feder, M.D. (This one is written in very plain English, easy to read and understand. She compares all sides of the argument, holistic, medical, pro-vax and anti-vax. This one is good but doesn't go into great detail about the hows and whys of ALL the rumors of vaccines as the previous one does but what I like about it is the inclusion of the holistic perspectives.)

Vaccines, Are They Really Safe and Effective by Neil Z. Miller (This one has each and every vaccine up through adulthood vaccines and is a great resource for deciding weather to selectively vaccinate. It's short and full of a lot of good information. His books are a good starting place but read other authors if you start with this one.)

Immunization Theory vs Reality by Niel Z. Miller (This one is short as well. It has a little bit more technical and medical jargon, but is still relatively easy to read. I suggest the one above first.)

Natural Baby and Childcare by Dr. Lauren Feder, M.D.

The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears, M.D. (I personally do not care for this book. He actually suggests combo vaccines - which are the most dangerous ones! And he's just way too pro-vaccination for me. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Some selective vaccinators and vaccinators do like it but I think he just leaves out too much of the controversial stuff and focuses on why vaccines are good. It's better to read something that covers all sides of the issue.)

What the Pharmaceutical Industry Does Not Wat you To Know About VACCINES by Dr. Todd M. Elsner (I have not read this one yet, but it is written by the husband of a member in this group)

ExemptMyChild

The Truth About Vaccines by Dr Richard Halvorsen

Vaccination The Hidden Facts by Ian Sinclair (This is an older book, but it has a lot of good graphs. I didn't really like the format of this one and you can find much better and newer books that have the same information. Plus it has a grim reaper on the front which seems a little alarmist to me, lol.)

Raising A Vaccine Free Child by Wendy Lydall

A Shot In The Dark by Harris L. Coulter & Barbara Loe Fisher

(Why the P in the DPT vaccination may be hazardous to your child's health)

The Sanctity Of Human Blood: Vaccination Is Not Immunization by Tim O'Shea

"Vaccination: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide to Childhood Immunizations" by Aviva Romm This one has some pretty technical explanations of how the immune system works and how vaccines are supposed to work. It includes sections about travel, medical emergencies, nutrition, herbal remedies, homeopathy and laws for non-vaccinators. It's pretty thorough but I wouldn't recommend it as a first book to read on the topic. See Cave's book above for that.

"How to Raise a Healthy Child, In Spite of your Doctor" by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn This one is great. I love all the good points he makes about medical care and how unnecessary well baby visits are. There are references to older drugs, and a few things he talks about are a little different now because this book was written in the eighties, but it still gives great insight into the realities of pediatric care that EVERY parent should know about. The inadequacies of medical training and the entire profession are outlined. Wonderful resource!

"Evidence of Harm" by David Kirby

“Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives†by Aviva Jill Romm

Vaccination Crisis by Vance Ferrell

http://www.pathlights.com/nr_encyclo...ion-Crisis.pdf

Just a Little Prick by Hilary Butler

Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health by Aviva Romm

Natural Cures by Kevin Trudeau Basically it is a book written by a man that has been on both sides of the fence on this issue. He has written this book to educate people about drug companies that very well know that they are harming human lives, but doing it anyway, for the money. It also has controversial topics as the Federal Gov't is in on this as well as the FDA.

This is a link to the K.N.O.W. Vaccines website's book list that has a list of lots of medical books: K.N.O.W. Vaccines - Resource Links

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif My uncle had polio. Its not easy when the parents make the decision and the child has to suffer from that misinformed decision. Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes you can't make people understand your point no matter how logical it is. These are the exceptions to the rule and the 1%of the 100%. Hopefully, nothing bad will happen as a result of their decision not to vaccinate. Maybe they want to live thru their kids going thru their chilldhood diseases like chicken pox where they get pox inside their mouths and on their eyelids and diaper areas and the scarring or polio where the muscles on their limbs degenerate, or scarlet fever or german measles or hepatitis b which attacks the liver...all for a thought that their may be a link between the vaccine and autism which was retracted.
They are actually studying a link between the testosterone levels in the mother during pregnancy. This makes more sense.

You'll have to excuse me for feeling offended by your responses; I don't feel misinformed. The above bolded sentence is just disgusting. I couldn't begin to tell you what being a parent means to me. If you had said that to me in person and I didn't have time to formulate a written response my reply would have been very different.
And while you're fixated on the autism debate (and that I'm stupid for buying into a debunked myth) I've never said my issue with vaccines is it's link to autism. I'm well aware (and have stated in my responses) there is no proven link.

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would fully acknowledge that there may be a small statistically connection between autism and vaccinations, and i agree scientists don't know conclusively that this link doesn't exist. and I fully agree that more work should be done studying this issue, sadly the manufacturers of the vaccine have no vested interest in doing this.
But you're missing my point, to not vaccinate creates inherent risks with the child that I believe are much greater than the possibility of autism. It is a tradeoff to be sure and based on that analysis of the statistics the prudent action is to vaccinate.

So true, I don't understand why the research isn't a bigger concern of the CDC's. Thank you for your thoughtful and polite debate.
And I'll reiterate that we do vaccinate. I do not take this subject lightly. I am a stay at home mom, my son is not in daycare, he will meet vaccination requirements, just not on the CDC's schedule.

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I will definitely be using a modified schedule to vaccinate my future children. According to the Center of Disease Control by the time a child is one years old they should have approximately 19 vaccines! 19!
I know as an adult how my body feels after I have one vaccine. I've sworn off getting a flu shot for myself because of how horrible and sick I get after wards and how my arm is numb for weeks afterwards.

I can't imagine what's going on inside an infants body as it gets injected with multiple vaccinations all at once.

I agree.

I honestly can´t believe that your child has to get 19 vaccinations until age 1 in the US...sure that´s not a typo and meant to say 10 or something?

I will make an informed decision about which exact vaccines my child will get, but I would generally stick to the healthcare guidelines. These guidelines were set up for a reason, and the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risks. The problem I do have is that the parent makes the decision for the child, and if a non-vaccinated child gets sick and suffers from severe consequences, it´s the child that has to live with that for the rest of their life (and the parent has to live with that responsibility)

The whole point of mandatory vaccination is to achieve herd immunity. The higher the % of people who are vaccinated, the lower the risk of getting the disease for the non-vaccinated population.

We learned in med school that the US has almost eradicated measles due to years of mandatory vaccinations...I´m guessing this is still true. The majority of the cases that do occur are related to foreign travellers. In Austria, a tiny country compared to the US (population around 8.5 million), we have a couple of deaths each year, due to measles-related complications. It has only been mandatory to report cases of measles since 2001!

To my knowledge you don´t have to give schools any proof of your child´s vaccination status here. A few vaccinations are mandatory in childhood to get healthcare benefits for your child, but after like age 6 or so it´s completely up to the parent to decide.

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here's a book listing for anyone interested. My mom has the Kevin trudeau books, It is sooooo interesting the things you find out Very informative & true when you really think about it Thanks !!!
smile.gif

Wow Loving the debate About this subject its good to learn others decisions around the world & why you all feel that way!!!!

Quote:
my uncle had polio. Its not easy when the parents make the decision and the child has to suffer from that misinformed decision. Originally Posted by audrey2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif the above bolded sentence is just disgusting. ^this!
Monet, here are few of MY reasons why I've chosen not to vaccinate. I couldn't resist after the above mentioned. These are for informational purposes only for anyone interested. Not looking into getting into a nasty, get me nowhere debate over something that's not gonna change my mind. And to conclude vax'd children can still get those diseases.

"The 'victory over epidemics' was not won by medical science or by doctors--and certainly not by vaccines.....the decline...has been the result of technical, social and hygienic improvements and especially of improved nutrition. Here the role of the potato...deserves special mention.....Consider carefully whether you want to let yourself or your children undergo the dangerous, controversial, ineffective and no longer necessary procedure called vaccination, because the claim that vaccinations are the cause for the decline of infectious diseases is utter nonsense."--The Vaccination Nonsense (2004 Lectures)---Dr. med. G. Buchwald ISBN 3-8334-2508-3 page 108.

"If people are worried about endemic smallpox, it disappeared from this country not because of our mass herd immunity. It disappeared because of our economic development. And that's why it disappeared from Europe and many other countries, and it will not be sustained here, even if there were several importations, I'm sure. It's not from universal vaccination."----Dr. Mack

"All infectious diseases decreased without vaccinations. Not only did vaccines have no influence over the decrease of the diseases, the contrary is true, they slowed down the downward trend of all diseases. The best example for this is polio. After the majority of people were vaccinated, severe epidemics occurred, such as in 1962 in the German speaking countries, after vaccination had been in full force for 3 years. Dr Buchwald carefully collected the facts in his book, which prove this fact beyond doubt for all infectious diseases38."----Anita Petek-Dimmer

"According to the records of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, from 1911 to 1935 the four leading causes of childhood deaths from infectious diseases in the U.S.A. were diptheria, pertussis, scarlet fever, and measles. However, by 1945 the combined death rates from these causes had declined by 95% before the implementation of mass vaccine programs."--Dr Buttram MD

From 1901--1910 there were on average 10,548 measles deaths per year which would be the equivalent of around 21,096 with todays population. Before the vaccine deaths had reduced to around 100. Measles deaths had decline by 99.5% before vaccination from 1901-1910.

"Up to 90% of the total decline in the death rate of children between 1860-1965 because of whooping cough, scarlet fever, diptheria, and measles occured before the introduction of immunisations and antibiotics."---Dr Archie Kalokerinos, M.D.

"The measles death rate decreased by more than 95% before the vaccine was introduced (1915-1958)."--Neil Miller (p26 Vaccines)

"The decline in infectious diseases in developed countries had nothing to do with vaccinations, but with the decline in poverty and hunger (Dr. Buchwald draws the Committee’s attention to a series of about 50 graphs in his book which show that vaccinations have no effect on the decline of infectious diseases).--Dr Buchwald, M.D.

Vaccination Liberation Information

Vaccination Debate

K.N.O.W. Vaccines - Frequently Asked Questions

I'd probably take up a few more pages if I listed every reference.

I guess I just don't think that parents should knowingly risk their children's health by not immunizing. My grandparents had 8 children and I suppose they were lax in their records on who was immunized and who was not. One of my uncle's leg from polio is completely degenerated and he walks with a limp. Obviously, this photo is not of my uncle but this is what I'm talking about. Your parents immunized you to keep you from these diseases. I'm sorry for offending if I offended but I feel very strongly about this as it affects the whole population and not just a couple of people. My uncle blames my grandparents for his condition because he was a baby and they should have looked out for him. Maybe its different when people are talking about hypotheticals. I saw the reality.

Polio_lores134.jpg

A question for the people who don´t believe in the benefits of vaccinating: Why do you think vaccinating is still as strongly recommended as it is if all those infectuous disease are gone anyway due to better hygiene, nutrition etc (which definitely played a big role, we can all agree with that!)?

Do you think the pharmaceutical companies just want to make money? Other reasons?

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^this!
Monet, here are few of MY reasons why I've chosen not to vaccinate. I couldn't resist after the above mentioned. These are for informational purposes only for anyone interested. Not looking into getting into a nasty, get me nowhere debate over something that's not gonna change my mind. And to conclude vax'd children can still get those diseases.

"The 'victory over epidemics' was not won by medical science or by doctors--and certainly not by vaccines.....the decline...has been the result of technical, social and hygienic improvements and especially of improved nutrition. Here the role of the potato...deserves special mention.....Consider carefully whether you want to let yourself or your children undergo the dangerous, controversial, ineffective and no longer necessary procedure called vaccination, because the claim that vaccinations are the cause for the decline of infectious diseases is utter nonsense."--The Vaccination Nonsense (2004 Lectures)---Dr. med. G. Buchwald ISBN 3-8334-2508-3 page 108.

"If people are worried about endemic smallpox, it disappeared from this country not because of our mass herd immunity. It disappeared because of our economic development. And that's why it disappeared from Europe and many other countries, and it will not be sustained here, even if there were several importations, I'm sure. It's not from universal vaccination."----Dr. Mack

"All infectious diseases decreased without vaccinations. Not only did vaccines have no influence over the decrease of the diseases, the contrary is true, they slowed down the downward trend of all diseases. The best example for this is polio. After the majority of people were vaccinated, severe epidemics occurred, such as in 1962 in the German speaking countries, after vaccination had been in full force for 3 years. Dr Buchwald carefully collected the facts in his book, which prove this fact beyond doubt for all infectious diseases38."----Anita Petek-Dimmer

"According to the records of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, from 1911 to 1935 the four leading causes of childhood deaths from infectious diseases in the U.S.A. were diptheria, pertussis, scarlet fever, and measles. However, by 1945 the combined death rates from these causes had declined by 95% before the implementation of mass vaccine programs."--Dr Buttram MD

From 1901--1910 there were on average 10,548 measles deaths per year which would be the equivalent of around 21,096 with todays population. Before the vaccine deaths had reduced to around 100. Measles deaths had decline by 99.5% before vaccination from 1901-1910.

"Up to 90% of the total decline in the death rate of children between 1860-1965 because of whooping cough, scarlet fever, diptheria, and measles occured before the introduction of immunisations and antibiotics."---Dr Archie Kalokerinos, M.D.

"The measles death rate decreased by more than 95% before the vaccine was introduced (1915-1958)."--Neil Miller (p26 Vaccines)

"The decline in infectious diseases in developed countries had nothing to do with vaccinations, but with the decline in poverty and hunger (Dr. Buchwald draws the Committee’s attention to a series of about 50 graphs in his book which show that vaccinations have no effect on the decline of infectious diseases).--Dr Buchwald, M.D.

Vaccination Liberation Information

Vaccination Debate

K.N.O.W. Vaccines - Frequently Asked Questions

I'd probably take up a few more pages if I listed every reference.

Love this list from the Vaccination Liberation website:
If the following factors are useful in controlling contagious disease:

Sanitation. (Includes clean water, clean air, clean food, clean environment.)

Quality nutrition, year around, not just seasonable.

Hygiene.

Insect control.

Belief that one is immune.

Joy, optimism, thankfulness and confidence, and all other factors which make for rational scientific living, also known as "Godly living".

Quarantine.

Does vaccination belong in this above list?

no comment

If there is no link between autism and vaccines then why is it that the children in the USA get total of 36 vaccines under the age of 5 and the autism rate is 1 in 110, 1 in 58 in boys and in the scandinavian countries the they get 11-13 vaccines and the autism rate is 1 in 716 to 1 in 2000? Also the USA has the highest infant mortality rate compared to other developed countries.

The problem with vaccines is that they are necessary to keep us healthy but no entity wants to make the ingredients in them safer because money controls everything. It all comes down to the pharmaceutical industry profits not the health of our children. So parents are forced to do the research and ask the questions themselves. Novartis' 1st quarter of 2010 profits rose by 49% due to pandemic flu vaccines. The reason H1N1 hype was so big was because of the billions of dollars at stake with vaccine that was developed and the potential profits involved. Further studies in Canada showed that people who got the regular flu vaccine were more at risk of getting sick with H1N1 yet the health officials in the USA continue to urge americans to get both the flu and the H1N1 vaccine. I know many families with children who had H1N1 and it was a fairly mild disease but because of the amount of unused H1N1 vaccines and the billions of dollars involved, people are still urged to get the vaccine.

I have a question. If it's to our benefit that we herd vaccinate, why doesn't the pharmaceutical industry extensively test their products and eliminate or replace the harmful compounds? Why is it that changes are made only by parents' refusal and pressure to test and remove? If they were motivated by good health and not $$$, why wouldn't this be the protocol?

If I could thank you, Reija, I would!

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif A question for the people who don´t believe in the benefits of vaccinating: Why do you think vaccinating is still as strongly recommended as it is if all those infectuous disease are gone anyway due to better hygiene, nutrition etc (which definitely played a big role, we can all agree with that!)? Do you think the pharmaceutical companies just want to make money? Other reasons?

Yes, absolutely. Why not? They're making so much money from these pharmaceutical companies why would they stop now. Several of the CDC and the FDA members that vote on the vaccines being given on the market today own patents for them.Call me a conspiracy theoriest or whatever but just because it's the norm and it's recommended by "most" not "all" doesn't mean I'm gonna follow. The CDC allows members THREE conflict of interest WAIVERS every year. No questions asked. Is public health REALLY their only concern? And yes, Drs get paid to give vaccines.

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif I honestly can´t believe that your child has to get 19 vaccinations until age 1 in the US...sure that´s not a typo and meant to say 10 or something? It's not a typo. I counted them yesterday to make sure. Infants in America are suppose to have 19 vaccines by their first birthday.
I understand the importance of vaccines, especially when traveling to other countries or if you aren't a stay at home mom why does a child have to get so many shots?

The last known case of polio spreading in America was in 1993. Yet a child has to have three different polio shots before the age of one.

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif If there is no link between autism and vaccines then why is it that the children in the USA get total of 36 vaccines under the age of 5 and the autism rate is 1 in 110, 1 in 58 in boys and in the scandinavian countries the they get 11-13 vaccines and the autism rate is 1 in 716 to 1 in 2000? Also the USA has the highest infant mortality rate compared to other developed countries..

I appreciate your statistics, but the problem is we are comparing apples and oranges. We are comparing two entirely different populations and there is a myriad of differences that make direct comparisons immpossible. For a starter the vaccines themselves may be entirely different even if they are for a similar disease. There are environmental & dietary factors that may the cause. There is no definitive cause linkage.
Not to be controversial, but I did find statistics that seemed to contradict what you stated above. This is from Autism Speaks.org , link

9. What have been the recent findings in international autism epidemiology in terms of prevalence around the world?

More than forty years ago, the first survey of autism was done in the United Kingdom and suggested the prevalence of autism in young children to occur at a rate of 4 per 10,000 (or 1/2,500). More recent studies have estimated prevalence to be approximately 6.6 per 1,000 (or 1/150) children in the United States, and as many as 12 in 1,000 (or 1/80) children with an ASD in Europe and Scandinavia. Most studies have taken place in select areas of relatively developed nations and communities and have used strikingly different methods to estimate prevalence. Further, very little is known to date about the occurrence of ASDs in low-resource territories with limited to no public health infrastructure (see Table and Map).

One reason that more kids are getting diagnosed with autism is that the criteria has broadened to include mild symptoms. Same with Bipolar Disorder and ADHD - easier to get the label now as doctors are accepting many symptoms that would have been rejected earlier. Note the increase from 40 to 60 per 10,000!!!

Prevalence of autism in Canada

Autism is now recognized as the most common neurological disorder affecting children and one of the most common developmental disabilities:

* Most recent epidemiological studies show that the prevalence has increased from 40 to 60 per 10,000 which represents approximately 190,000 Canadians

* Approximately one in 165 children have an ASD

* Number of cases is increasing worldwide

Reference:

Fombonne, E., 2003: Modern Views of Autism, Can. J. Psychiatry, 48:503-505.

Fombonne, E., 2003: Epidemiology of autism and other pervasive developmental disorders: an update. J. Autism.Dev. Disord. 33:365-381

(Fombonne E, Zakarian R, Bennett A, Meng L, McLean-Heywood D. Pervasive developmental disorders in Montreal, Quebec, Canada: prevalence and links with immunizations. Pediatrics. 2006 Jul;118(1):e139-50).

Autism Society Canada

By the way, In Canada, the pharmaceutical companies do not get a kick back from the medical community. So there is no need to accused them of having an agenda.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do Americans pay for the children's vaccinations? yes it all depends on what your insurance plan calls for.

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif yes it all depends on what your insurance plan calls for. IC. All of that is free for EVERY child in Canada. I had to pay for my hep vaccine before I went to Mexico but that's part of the kids vaccination program regardless of what plan you may have. My daughter will also get her vaccine against the human papillomavirus that is linked cervical cancer.

Ahhh Canada i think they have it together on this stuff.

I was up there visiting in the winter and was even able to get the flu vaccine for myself for free.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do Americans pay for the children's vaccinations? around where i am Its all free Whether your insured or not otherwise There would be alot of kids not in school!!!

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ahhh Canada i think they have it together on this stuff.
I was up there visiting in the winter and was even able to get the flu vaccine for myself for free.

Thats when I got everyone their H1N1 and regular flu vaccines. Good thing as a few people I know had gotten H1N1 and were very very sick. 1 friend ended up in the hospital in a coma for a month from H1N1!

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's not a typo. I counted them yesterday to make sure. Infants in America are suppose to have 19 vaccines by their first birthday.
I understand the importance of vaccines, especially when traveling to other countries or if you aren't a stay at home mom why does a child have to get so many shots?

The last known case of polio spreading in America was in 1993. Yet a child has to have three different polio shots before the age of one.

I thought that was pretty senseless myself. I don't understand why infants have to receive so many of the same shot at a younger age when one or two will suffice once they are older. As for my children, my first became very ill after her 3 month shots. [she slept 18 hours straight and was not able to be aroused even for feedings] I was assured this was normal by her doctor. Though I was disturbed by the first experience, she got her next set at 6 months with the same result. At that point I decided she would only get "catch-up" vaccines as they don't seem to be clustered and that some I would avoid altogether.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif IC. All of that is free for EVERY child in Canada. I had to pay for my hep vaccine before I went to Mexico but that's part of the kids vaccination program regardless of what plan you may have. My daughter will also get her vaccine against the human papillomavirus that is linked cervical cancer. OMG don't even get me started on that darn HPV vaccine.

According to the CDC:

• Are there specific types of HPV that are associated with cancer? Some types of HPV are referred to as “low-risk†viruses because they rarely cause lesions that develop into cancer. HPV types that are more likely to lead to the development of cancer are referred to as “high-risk.†Both high-risk and low-risk types of HPV can cause the growth of abnormal cells, but only the high-risk types of HPV lead to cancer. Sexually transmitted, high-risk HPVs include types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 66, 68, and 73. These high-risk types of HPV cause growths on the cervix that are usually flat and nearly invisible, as compared with the external warts caused by low-risk types HPV–6 and HPV–11. HPV types 16 and 18 together cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers. It is important to note, however, that the great majority of high-risk HPV infections go away on their own and do not cause cancer.

• What are the risk factors for HPV infection and cervical cancer? Having many sexual partners is a risk factor for HPV infection. Although most HPV infections go away on their own without causing any type of abnormality, infection with high-risk HPV types increases the chance that mild abnormalities will develop and progress to more severe abnormalities or cervical cancer. However, even among the women who do develop abnormal cell changes with high-risk types of HPV, only a small percentage would develop cervical cancer if the abnormal cells were not removed. As a general rule, the more severe the abnormal cell change, the greater the risk of cancer. Studies suggest that whether a woman develops cervical cancer depends on a variety of factors acting together with high-risk HPVs. The factors that may increase the risk of cervical cancer in women with HPV infection include smoking and having many children.

In 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Gardasil®, a vaccine that is highly effective in preventing infection with types 16 and 18, two “high-risk†HPVs that cause most (70 percent) cervical cancers, and types 6 and 11, which cause most (90 percent) genital warts.

So apparently, preventing relatively nonthreatening "low-risk" forms of the human papillomavirus is just as important as cervical cancer. I would feel better getting my girls vaccinated with this IF it prevented the 3 other types that cause another 20 percent of cervical cancers.

However, it doesn't... and even if it did chances are one wouldn't even get cervical cancer in the first place - even if HPV was contracted [which is most likely when following unsafe sexual practices].

Just my feelings on the issue.

Back