Do you Vaccinate your children?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif The last known case of polio spreading in America was in 1993. Yet a child has to have three different polio shots before the age of one. There's a big difference between spread and case. We just had a lovely outbreak of measles.
Measles outbreak spreads north in B.C.

Number of cases hits 44 provincewide

Last Updated: Friday, April 16, 2010 | 9:13 AM PT

CBC News

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control says 44 cases of the measles have now been confirmed in B.C. since March. (CBC)

B.C.'s measles outbreak appears to have spread to northeastern areas of the province, after doctors confirmed two new cases of the disease in the Fort St. John and Fort Nelson areas on Thursday.

The new cases bring the total number of confirmed cases in the province to 44, not including suspected but unconfirmed cases, said the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

Northern Health spokeswoman Eryn Collins said the virus had not been detected in the north in more than six years and the two new cases involve people who weren't immunized.

"They are cases that have occurred in both adults and children and in all of the cases, they're occurring in individuals who don't have the adequate protection from the disease whether through immunization or previous exposure to the measles virus," she said Thursday.

"We're just reiterating the importance of people ensuring that their vaccinations are up to date. We're encouraging individuals who were born after 1956 contact their doctor or nearest public health unit to make arrangements to be vaccinated," said Collins.

First detected in Vancouver area

The news comes after eight Vancouver students tested positive earlier this week, prompting school officials to send their unvaccinated classmates home for three weeks.

The disease was first detected in a Vancouver area household and a southern Interior household in late March, and was linked to unvaccinated travellers returning from overseas.

"It is suspected that at least two out-of-country visitors brought measles into Vancouver sometime in February or early March, as two separate strains of the virus have been identified," said a statement from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control earlier this week.

So far, 17 cases of the measles have been detected in the Fraser Valley, 17 in the Vancouver area, seven in the southern Interior, two in northern B.C. and one on Vancouver island.

Read more: CBC News - British Columbia - Measles outbreak spreads north in B.C.

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif The last known case of polio spreading in America was in 1993. Yet a child has to have three different polio shots before the age of one. Ok but Polio is NOT eradicated world wide. It is still in places in Africa and could spread in a new population where people are not immunized. That is why it is still required. Here is a related article from the NYTimes.
Polio: New Outbreak of Polio in Africa Prompts Appeal for Vaccine Financing

0421-sci-GLOBAL.jpg
The New York Times

By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.

Published: April 20, 2009

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has made an emergency appeal for millions of dollars to fight a new polio outbreak across Africa.

Skip to next paragraph Related

Health Guide: Poliomyelitis

“Polio is spreading again, including in countries such as Uganda which had been polio-free for more than a decade,” said Dr. Tamman Aloudat, who is in charge of health emergencies for the federation.

Despite more than 20 years of eradication efforts, two strains of polio have spread out from northern Nigeria and northern India — both places where many Muslims have resisted vaccines because of rumors that vaccine efforts are a Western plot to sterilize them.

Particularly worrisome, Dr. Aloudat said, is that polio has again reached Port Sudan, a ferry port on the way to Mecca. From 2004 to 2006, pilgrims are believed to have spread polio from Port Sudan to Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Indonesia and Yemen, outbreaks that cost more than $150 million to smother.

Since January 2008, polio has been newly found in 15 African countries.

Gene sequencing of the virus taken from paralyzed patients found that most cases had spread east and west from Nigeria along the southern edge of the Sahara. But one strain went from India to Angola and then to two other countries.

There are only four countries in which the disease has never been eradicated: Nigeria, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. But it appears to be re-establishing itself in Angola, Chad, Niger, Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for historical context of these arguments this is from 1802 and deals with the cowpox vaccine courtesy of Wikipedia

800px-The_cow_pock.jpg

When I was 13 I got the chicken poxs and had never recieved the chicken pox vaccine, because I had lived in Mexico as a little girl and somehow missed it, and I guess my mom never really thought about when I moved to Michigan. When I got it, it had to be the worse case I've ever seen, no vaccine plus the fact I was older. I was COVERED in chicken pox. I had to go to the hospital, because I had fainted and there was so much pressure on my brain from spinal fluid!!!! I was out of school for exactly four weeks and to this day 10 years later I have puffy looking chicken pox scars all over my abdomen, hips, and upper arms. To think this could have been prevented makes me so angry!!!!!!

I don't believe that vaccines are causing these illnesses. Whose to say that kids just developed these things on their own, vaccines aren't to blame.

I heard that there are small outbreaks of measles going around to kids that are not being vaccinated, these can entirely be prevented.

The article I posted is from April. This is very recent and people not vaccinated are contracting measles when they could have been protected. It didn't come from Canada, the source was out of country from at least 2 people bringing it with them to Vancouver like a welcome gift! This could be polio, rhebella, or mumps or anything that could have been preventable.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do Americans pay for the children's vaccinations? There might be a small co pay for people who go to their personal doctor, but if ANYBODY can get it for free by going to their local county health agency. They give vaccines absolutely free as well as STD test and tuberculosis test.

There are no co-pays in Canada. Doctors are gov't employees not of any drug company or hospital. We pay for prescriptions but if you have an extended medical plan, they cover a % of prescriptions. Usually no lower than 70% and if both of you have a plan, then you basically just pay your yearly deductible (around $100 or less/yr) and the rest is covered. Some you are out of pocket then claim, others get a card and you just pay the balance or team up with 2 cards and pay nothing at all.

Originally Posted by missmignonne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I thought that was pretty senseless myself. I don't understand why infants have to receive so many of the same shot at a younger age when one or two will suffice once they are older. As for my children, my first became very ill after her 3 month shots. [she slept 18 hours straight and was not able to be aroused even for feedings] I was assured this was normal by her doctor. Though I was disturbed by the first experience, she got her next set at 6 months with the same result. At that point I decided she would only get "catch-up" vaccines as they don't seem to be clustered and that some I would avoid altogether. I was disturbed too - that's exactly how I felt. When my child's dr. ordered 4 vaccines in one day I didn't even question it, he's the healthcare professional, right? My child's behavior frightened me. There's got to be a better way. Totally agree on spacing them out and waiting until they're a bit older for the majority of vaccines.

Originally Posted by Audrey2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was disturbed too - that's exactly how I felt. When my child's dr. ordered 4 vaccines in one day I didn't even question it, he's the healthcare professional, right? My child's behavior frightened me. There's got to be a better way. Totally agree on spacing them out and waiting until they're a bit older for the majority of vaccines. Your doctor orders them? In Canada, the vaccination schedule is published with a schedule according to age. There's not guessing. Each vaccine and what they are for are also listed.

Divadoll, the dr. was going by the recommended vaccine schedule but I feel like you're missing the point of my post. They don't want you to "guess" here either.

well i was going to say this thread might have gotten a bit heated. no one likes to think they are not doing the best for their child.

i think the number of vaccinations seems to have increased and it all seems like the kids are suffering with having to get these other needles. in the long run this has got to be better than the possibility of them getting the disease itself. the risk is just not worth it.

Originally Posted by Audrey2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Divadoll, the dr. was going by the recommended vaccine schedule but I feel like you're missing the point of my post. They don't want you to "guess" here either. There really isn't a need to be patronizing. I'm Canadian. Perhaps I have missed your point and I'm trying to find out more information. From the threads in this forum, it is obvious we do it differently from Americans. I'm trying to find out how things are done there.
We get a vaccine passport when the baby is born. It looks like a bank book. It lists the vaccines that are for 2, 4, 6, 12 and 18 month and the start of school. There are no recommendations on a schedule, its regimented by our health care system. They just sign off that it was done. When the child starts school, we bring this passport to school as proof of immunizations.

Its not a competition of what is better. I'm just trying to find out more and stating information regarding our vaccination programs.

^^^^^Thats exactly how we do it here to at least where im at we have that yellow card or passport thing as well

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your doctor orders them? In Canada, the vaccination schedule is published with a schedule according to age. There's not guessing. Each vaccine and what they are for are also listed. It's done exactly the same here. There's no guessing. I believe the reason that Audrey mentioned the "recommended vaccine schedule" is bc that is what it's technically called. Here's the link. The reason it's recommended (and this is the way that it was explained to me by my child's pediatrician) is bc while the age listed is when they want the child to take the vaccine, whether the child can take the vaccine or not will depend on the doctor's recommendation on a case by case basis. The first thing they did with my child is ask if he has recently been ill or is he on certain medications or have other health issues that may interfere with the vaccines. Some vaccines may be taken earlier or later if a parent chooses not to have so many vaccines administered at one time. After all, what may have worked with one patient does not neccessarily mean it will work on the next
smile.gif
Edit: Oh yea our immunization cards are pink. My son doesn't like that lol.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes you can't make people understand your point no matter how logical it is. These are the exceptions to the rule and the 1%of the 100%. Hopefully, nothing bad will happen as a result of their decision not to vaccinate. The pot calls the kettle... patronizing

All I can say is that I hope that your children grow up to be happy and healthy adults as we as parents hope for our own.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's done exactly the same here. There's no guessing. I believe the reason that Audrey mentioned the "recommended vaccine schedule" is bc that is what it's technically called. Here's the link. The reason it's recommended (and this is the way that it was explained to me by my child's pediatrician) is bc while the age listed is when they want the child to take the vaccine, whether the child can take the vaccine or not will depend on the doctor's recommendation on a case by case basis. The first thing they did with my child is ask if he has recently been ill or is he on certain medications or have other health issues that may interfere with the vaccines. Some vaccines may be taken earlier or later if a parent chooses not to have so many vaccines administered at one time. After all, what may have worked with one patient does not neccessarily mean it will work on the next
smile.gif
Edit: Oh yea our immunization cards are pink. My son doesn't like that lol.

My son's book was pink and my daughters was blue. Its ok tho because its not really theirs to walk around with.

^^Yea that's what I told him. The whole time he was nagging saying "Mommy, ask the nurse if I can have a blue one, pink is for girls." Lol! However he quickly forgot as soon as his got his four shots.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^^Yea that's what I told him. The whole time he was nagging saying "Mommy, ask the nurse if I can have a blue one, pink is for girls." Lol! However he quickly forgot as soon as his got his four shots. LOL! I bet he totally forgot after his shots.
frown.gif

I recall coming across this topic about Thimersol when this thread first started.

It is well established that pure Mercury is a dangerous chemical when introduced into the human body. It is mentioned that Thimersol is 49% by volume a Mercury compound. My only caution there is there are chemical elements that in their pure form are toxic but in a compound form are quite benign. I am not saying that Thimersol is completely benign or that it might not have a slight linkage to autism for the small percentage of the population that is sensitive to it. It still comes down to benefits vs. risks.

For anyone else's benefit Thimersol is a Mercury compound that is used in a wide variety of vaccines as a chemical preservative in a wide variety of vaccines. Here is the complete list. If Thimersol is a huge concern for someone then they would probably want to steer clear of all vaccines.

I am not a doctor so I don't have access to all the studies, like the New England Journal of Medicine, etc. To be honest I would go with whoever authored the section in Wikipedia on this topic since I have neither the time, expertise or inclination to further research this topic and whenever someone makes a statement there is some legitimacy to their claims since all statements are credited. From Wikipedia:

The thiomersal controversy is between those who claim that vaccines containing the mercury-based preservative thiomersal contribute to the development of autism and other brain development disorders[1] and those who support the current scientific consensus that there is no convincing scientific evidence supporting these claims.[2][3]

Thiomersal is an organomercury compound used as a preservative in vaccines since the 1930s to prevent bacterial and fungal contamination.[4][5] In July 1999, following a review of mercury-containing food and drugs, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) asked vaccine makers to remove thiomersal from vaccines as quickly as possible as a purely precautionary measure, and it was rapidly phased out of most U.S. and European vaccines.[6][7] Many parents took the action to remove thiomersal as indicating that the preservative was harmful, and there have been thousands of lawsuits filed in the U.S. to seek damages from alleged toxicity from vaccines, including those purportedly caused by thiomersal.[6][8]

Major scientific and medical bodies such as the Institute of Medicine and World Health Organization[9] as well as governmental agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration[4] and the CDC[10] reject any role for thiomersal in autism or other neurodevelopmental disorders. Multiple lines of scientific evidence have been cited to support this conclusion: for example, the clinical symptoms of mercury poisoning differ significantly from those of autism.[11] Most conclusively, eight major studies (as of 2008) examined the effect of reductions or removal of thiomersal from vaccines. All eight demonstrated that autism rates failed to decline despite removal of thiomersal, arguing strongly against a causative role.[12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19]

OK granted Wikipedia is always considered a lame source but they do point you to a myriad of other scholarly sources that can be checked out. But i did like the point that was made.

Back