Down the Indie Rabbit Hole

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved this idea so much I went ahead and started the thread!  Let us know about all the tiny indies so we can throw some money at them!

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/135583-have-you-tried-this-indie-land-of-the-super-obscure/
I just have two words to say to this:  Uh.  Oh.

(Today's plan:  Get another narrow Billy bookcase from IKEA and get it set up!  And also get some file folders.  Then I will use the file folders to create tray liners for Birchboxes so I can reorganize my collection because the bead cases I've been using don't really suit my purpose any more.)

(Ahhhh!  I was just listening to Del tha Funkee Homosapien's "Dark Skin Girls," and I had *completely forgotten* that Ice Cube -- Del's cousin -- informs him that he's "Outtie 5000" at the end of the song.  @@marigoldsue had Vee send me some Outtie 5000 in my most recent order that I received yesterday because it's supposed to look *amazing* over the extra from the January OTM.  I was going to make this post and then go put that combination on before heading out to run the above errands.  Synchronicity!)

(Yes, I'm an oldschool rap fan.  This is specifically a Del weekend.  Love him.  Or at least a Del day once I get back from errands.  And time to go get colorful and dressed since IKEA opens in about twenty minutes!)

Project!

8f1f7af7-6300-4b4b-98d3-792c60aea039_zps36233518.jpg

I didn't get file folders, but then I remembered I have card stock.  I'm still trying to get the spacing down.  It's tricky since different companies have different sizes of jars, and even for minis, some companies have different sizes for those!  I think I have four different sizes of jars from Darling Girl alone between full-sized, two different sizes for petits, and GWPs.  Anyway.  I got that second narrow Billy bookcase set up yesterday (while watching an *epically* bad horror flick.  My kind of Sunday!), so now it's time to work on the Birchbox-as-storage-tray portion of the proceedings.

Does anyone want/need a Fortune Cookie Soap $10 off code? I got it with the last soap box and am not going to use it.  I did just confirm that it still works on the site.

First person to PM me gets it.

Claimed, thank girls!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a particular trick to using matte loose shadow? I have Pasty A. from MPZ and it's beautiful in the jar, but I have a hard time getting the right amount of product on my lids. It looks patchy if I try to use it over anything but UDPP. 

Is there a particular trick to using matte loose shadow? I have Pasty A. from MPZ and it's beautiful in the jar, but I have a hard time getting the right amount of product on my lids. It looks patchy if I try to use it over anything but UDPP. 
One trick is to use very little primer. Make sure it's completely even. I haven't tried many mattes over different primers, but using a minimal amount could help.

This thread is so inactive now that all the other indie threads have been made! I miss you guys!

In other news, Brija Cosmetics is making a Harry Potter collection that is supposed to come out next week and I am soooo excited. I helped her come up with names and descriptions for the collection, so I HAVE to have it!

This thread is so inactive now that all the other indie threads have been made! I miss you guys!
I miss having one larger active thread.  It feels like we have lost the sense of community with so many other threads.  I don't even bother to read most of them regularly and I rarely post now.

I miss having one larger active thread.  It feels like we have lost the sense of community with so many other threads.  I don't even bother to read most of them regularly and I rarely post now.
I totally see where y'all are coming from, and I feel the same way definitely (it really started slowing down once I joined in!).

From an organizational stand point, I do like the other threads. My best advice to help bring this sense of community back to this thread is put any non-specific (i know that's broad, but we're not going to be sticklers about it hahah) chit chat about indies in here. Like make looks of the day, questions about things, I'm trying to think of other things but I just woke up and I'm blanking hahaha.

So I've been using Cocoa Pink's silicone free conditioner to cowash and if course it had been discontinued. I really liked having a scent selection for my hair! Do any other indies do conditioner?

So I've been using Cocoa Pink's silicone free conditioner to cowash and if course it had been discontinued. I really liked having a scent selection for my hair! Do any other indies do conditioner?
Fortune Cookie Soap has some conditioner bars. They smell yummy. 

Mad City Sue also makes conditioners: https://www.etsy.com/shop/madcitysue?section_id=7477780&ref=shopsection_leftnav_4

I think she is a very underrated indie fragrance person in general, though I have had a few 'misses' with her over the years, mainly on her seasonal scents.  Her dupes are great, as are the scents she offers year round.

@@Meggpi  Black Violet has a conditioner that comes in a few different scents.  I've been using this on my hair (thick and wavy) and I've been happy with it.  Off the top of my head I'm not sure if it is silicone free though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Black Violet's formula looks silicone free so I'm gonna give it a go...I guess it will give me an excuse to try some perfume samples :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I've been talking myself out of ordering BV since it seems like an inevitable rabbit hole of its own! But I'm sure you'll love them; everyone I know who uses BV does!

I've been talking myself out of ordering BV since it seems like an inevitable rabbit hole of its own! But I'm sure you'll love them; everyone I know who uses BV does!
I wish I was enabled sooner because that no longer available valentine's scent sounds SO far up my alley.  I put samples of just about every scent in my cart and went through and deleted ones that have notes that I know my fiance doesn't like (anything unisex, vetiver, etc).  I've probably got like 60 scent minis and while I love some of the more interesting ones anything he doesn't like doesn't really get worn.  

I feel the same way and this is why I wasn't very excited when we went from one thread to many :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I understand it can be helpful to find older posts this way, but I miss you girls!!! So much. We should bring this back, just talkin' bout things and stuff.

As an absolutely in no way business-minded person I can see not wanting to expand a small business.  If you just want to share your creativity and make some monies from it staying small makes sense.  I thought about selling knitting on Etsy but realized to compete with current shops I'd have to crank out a lot of boring stuff with a quick ETA and less desirable materials (although it's different in that I couldn't really hire anyone to like, knit for me).  I get that dichotomy.  I would want to knit estonian and shetland lace, which would mean I could only really make one or two pieces a month.

I wouldn't actively 'boycott' but it is hard not to feel really disappointed when you are excited about a release and can't get anything you wanted on the SAME DAY as the release.  I'm one of the lucky people who can browse a little bit at work during downtime, but I can't be like 'Stroke alert? Trauma level 2? Not right now, I'm TRYING TO GET BATH STUFF'  I just don't want to keep getting excited about releases and then miss them, so I don't want to pay as much attention.

Okay - to bring the chattiness back to this thread

since february is approaching its that time again that subs start opening up. I'm on the lottery list for GDE but I'm also intrigued by i+ta. Honestly, I'm interested in all of the subs, but trying to decide what I should invest my time in to *trying* to get is what is killing me!

Did you see the preview for the i+ta sub?  It's a gorgeous peachy-coral.  *Love*.  Linda tends to overload colors like this with sparkle, so I can't wait to see it in real life!

Back