Down the Indie Rabbit Hole

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meow is still indie in my book. As far as I can tell they are a very small company in the suburbs of Pittsburgh-- not mass produced like Colourpop or something.  I love Meow foundation! I can't wear it right now since my skin is so dry but it's my go-to as soon as the weather warms up. I ordered like 20 sample baggies so I could get the best color match.

eta for clarification- I have a full size of my color match, lol. I made it sound like I was using 20  different sample baggies. oops. 

Also, re: lip balms, I got Rosy Lipped from Haus of Gloi and it is neither moisturizing nor very tinted. Big disappointment for me. But I do love the smell so I'll use it up; it's at my desk at work and I apply it constantly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh!  I keep forgetting I have a HoG balm!  Winter Rose.  It keeps disappearing in the depths of my messenger bag.  I find it, put it in a place in my bag where I can easily grab it, and it disappears again.  It will resurface, but it might take a month like my NM Feeling Alive balm did.

Okay, I'll ask here:  What is your favorite flavored/scented lip balm from an Indie? I got a Coffin Kisser from NM that ended up having no discernable scent or flavor to it. It still feels nice, but I'm on a quest for my HG balm right now and I'd like something with a strong scent/flavor. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Tinted and non-tinted are both fine, I love both!
Beauty Bar Baby lip balms have quickly become my absolute favorite. They are so moisturizing and all smell amazing! Super inexpensive too! Tiny Green Men and Strawberry Shortcake are two of my faves.

Beauty Bar Baby lip balms have quickly become my absolute favorite. They are so moisturizing and all smell amazing! Super inexpensive too! Tiny Green Men and Strawberry Shortcake are two of my faves.
Ooh, thanks! I haven't tried anything from them at all except a lip gloss sample I got from GDE...adding to my list!

I'm thinking I'll have to get their lipstick in Haunted Palace one of these days.  Crap, I should have planned ahead so I could have had it before the 19th for Poe's birthday!  Too late broke now.  I already have a decant of Haunted Palace perfume oil from BPAL somewhere around here!  If I could find Poe-inspired eyeshadow, I could do a whole theme!  (BPAL did a whole limited edition Poe-inspired series that was sold exclusively at this awesome horror shop -- books, dvds, postcards, etc. -- called Dark Delicacies several years ago.  Lenore, Oval Portrait, The Pit and the Pendulum, Prospero, and a few more I can't recall.)

ETA:  Maybe it's for the best that I don't have it in time for his birthday because my GCC Black Lodge polish should be arriving in a few days, and I already have the NM Lost in the Lodge collection so I may very well have a _Twin Peaks_ theme week instead!  I have that show on dvd (I even also have the original Japanese pilot, which had an actual ending that revealed Who Killed Laura Palmer, and that person was different from who did it in the series) *and* avi files, and it's streaming on Netflix.  Because the universe loves me, at least temporarily.

Meow is still indie in my book. As far as I can tell they are a very small company in the suburbs of Pittsburgh-- not mass produced like Colourpop or something.  I love Meow foundation! I can't wear it right now since my skin is so dry but it's my go-to as soon as the weather warms up. I ordered like 20 sample baggies so I could get the best color match.

eta for clarification- I have a full size of my color match, lol. I made it sound like I was using 20  different sample baggies. oops. 

Also, re: lip balms, I got Rosy Lipped from Haus of Gloi and it is neither moisturizing nor very tinted. Big disappointment for me. But I do love the smell so I'll use it up; it's at my desk at work and I apply it constantly. 
What do you wear when your skin is too dry?

I think I may have found a color match in Ocicat, but will be verifying it tomorrow. Somehow Korat (golden yellow) actually looks kind of peach or pink on me. I just wished I'd picked some up in Flawless in addition to Pampered. Unfortunately, my usually combination skin is suffering and is pretty dry right now, which is no fun when trying mineral foundations.

And I totally understood about the gajillion little baggies while trying to find the match. 

Okay, I'll ask here: What is your favorite flavored/scented lip balm from an Indie? I got a Coffin Kisser from NM that ended up having no discernable scent or flavor to it. It still feels nice, but I'm on a quest for my HG balm right now and I'd like something with a strong scent/flavor. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Tinted and non-tinted are both fine, I love both!
Beauty bar baby. Hands down my favorite lip balm. I think strawberry shortcake is my favorite but rice krispie treat and waffle cone are good too!!

What do you wear when your skin is too dry?

I think I may have found a color match in Ocicat, but will be verifying it tomorrow. Somehow Korat (golden yellow) actually looks kind of peach or pink on me. I just wished I'd picked some up in Flawless in addition to Pampered. Unfortunately, my usually combination skin is suffering and is pretty dry right now, which is no fun when trying mineral foundations.

And I totally understood about the gajillion little baggies while trying to find the match. 
I wear Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation mixed with a tiny bit of moisturizer, then buff that on with a beauty blender. It works fairly well on my combo/oily skin. I cannot beat Meow as far as mineral foundation goes, though!

So I love Haus of Gloi butterbalms from the Yule collex but I am getting to be over the Yule scents.  Do any other indies do any similar bath products?  They are way more moisturizing than other bath bombs I've tried... I don't want to shave my legs without one ever again.

I'm thinking I'll have to get their lipstick in Haunted Palace one of these days.  Crap, I should have planned ahead so I could have had it before the 19th for Poe's birthday!  Too late broke now.  I already have a decant of Haunted Palace perfume oil from BPAL somewhere around here!  If I could find Poe-inspired eyeshadow, I could do a whole theme!  (BPAL did a whole limited edition Poe-inspired series that was sold exclusively at this awesome horror shop -- books, dvds, postcards, etc. -- called Dark Delicacies several years ago.  Lenore, Oval Portrait, The Pit and the Pendulum, Prospero, and a few more I can't recall.)

ETA:  Maybe it's for the best that I don't have it in time for his birthday because my GCC Black Lodge polish should be arriving in a few days, and I already have the NM Lost in the Lodge collection so I may very well have a _Twin Peaks_ theme week instead!  I have that show on dvd (I even also have the original Japanese pilot, which had an actual ending that revealed Who Killed Laura Palmer, and that person was different from who did it in the series) *and* avi files, and it's streaming on Netflix.  Because the universe loves me, at least temporarily.
Wait, who killed her in the Japanese version??

Wait, who killed her in the Japanese version??
Whoops, it wasn't just the Japanese version.  It was the international version, made before they knew it was going to be an actual series.

The killer was Bob.  Interesting trivia from the TP Wiki about how that character came into existence:

The impetus for the series Twin Peaks was the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer. When production began on the pilot episode, "Northwest Passage", series creators David Lynch and Mark Frost had decided that the murderer would be revealed as Leland Palmer, Laura's father. During the filming of a scene in the pilot taking place in Laura's room, Frank Silva, a set dresser during the shootings but also an actor, accidentally trapped himself in the room prior to filming by inadvertently moving a dresser in front of the door. Lynch had an image of Silva stuck in the room and thought that it could fit into the series somewhere, and told Silva that he would like for him to be in the series. Lynch had Silva crouch at the foot of Laura's bed and look through the bars of the footboard, as if he were "trapped" behind them, and filmed it, then had Silva leave the room and filmed the empty room; after reviewing the footage, Lynch liked the presence that Silva brought to the scene and decided that he would put him somewhere in the series.

Later that day, a scene was being filmed in which Palmer's mother experiences a vision which frightens her; at the time, the script did not indicate what Mrs Palmer had seen to frighten her. Lynch was pleased with how the scene turned out, but a crew member informed him that it would have to be re-shot, because a mirror in the scene had inadvertently picked up someone's reflection. When Lynch asked who it was, the crew member replied that it had been Silva. Lynch considered this a "happy accident," and decided at that point that the unnamed character to be played by Silva would be revealed as Palmer's true killer.
Thanks to the magic of YouTube, you can now see the alternate ending for yourself (with Spanish subtitles) without having to buy it.  Alternate ending part one:

So I love Haus of Gloi butterbalms from the Yule collex but I am getting to be over the Yule scents.  Do any other indies do any similar bath products?  They are way more moisturizing than other bath bombs I've tried... I don't want to shave my legs without one ever again.
Alchemic Muse does bath melts (they're reopening today at 1 pm EST) and Fortune Cookie Soap is basically an indie version of Lush.

eta: Fizzbutter has a bunch of bath bombs as well, their site is here http://fizzbutter.com/zencart/. I've never tried them though.

I just reorganized my indie collection, with new storage trays and I have pics! Under the spoiler because it's pic heavy! This is my whole collection, with the exception of stuff in my bathroom and shower, which includes some soaps, detanglers, and full size Haus of Gloi perfumes. Also excepting a few things I have in my purse.

This first tray is stuff to swatch and review, including Hello Waffle, Victorian Disco, Glamour Doll Eyes, Notoriously Morbid, Beauty Bar Baby, Performance Colors, Aromaleigh, and Blackbird Cosmetics.

These smaller trays are for brands I have less of. Includes Mad Lab Cosmetics, Sugar Skull Minerals, AFK Cosmetics, Life's Entropy, Innocent+Twisted Alchemy, Fyrinnae, Aromaleigh, Darling Girl, Limnit Lipsticks, Kiss My Sass, Beauty Bar Baby, Geek Chic Cosmetics, Ten Three Labs, and a few others.

This tray is for Hello Waffle and Notoriously Morbid.

Glamour Doll Eyes and Shiro Cosmetics

Perfumes! Top left is an ammo case for my 1ml sample vials. Bottom right green tray I cannot find more of. They basically don't exist on the internet. I found mine at Target, they were a set of 3 (see first photo for the other 2), and I bought the last set. They aren't on Target's website, not even on the manufacturer's website. Perfume brands are, Haus of Gloi, Solstice Scents, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, Black Violet, Darling Clandestine, Fortune Cookie Soap (which I don't consider indie, but they needed a home), Sixteen92, Smelly Yeti, Alchimia Apothecary, and Ten Three Labs.

Bath and body tray! This tray is bigger than the others and has a divider built in, here's the link. Whipped soaps on the left, lotions and other bath stuff on the right. Brands include Haus of Gloi, Savor, Queen Bee Apothecary, Alchemic Muse, and Solstice Scents.

Everything all together!

Saw on Shiro's FB they are now distributing Victorian Disco:  Here is the post:

Shiro Cosmetics
3 mins · 

Two new cool-toned contouring powders are now available in our Cheekbones section: Burn the Heart Out of You and Do Your Research! http://shirocosmetics.com/products/face/cheekbones/

Femme Fatale is fully restocked, and we've expanded the catalog with 8 new colors: http://shirocosmetics.com/products/brands/femme-fatale/ - We're planning on putting in a restock request tomorrow, so if these sell out too quickly, we should have more pretty fast!

And, here's Victorian Disco! http://shirocosmetics.com/products/brands/victorian-disco/

Please email me at [email protected] if you have an undelivered order with Victorian Disco or have requested a refund from them that hasn't yet been processed! I'm happy to personally handle any unresolved issues as we begin managing distribution for this brand. 

LOL I just didn't expect the distributor to be Shiro.  Though I guess it makes sense, Shiro definitely has experience with this kind of situation and they are very reliable, I would totally order VDC stuff through Shiro (except the colors I want aren't stocked and I'm on a no-buy).

My issue with Shiro distributing VDC is that I still don't know if Ashley is making money off this. If she is not, I might consider buying some from Shiro. If she is, I would not because I really don't want any more of my money going to her. I am just going to assume she is making money off it, and not buy anything.

Heyyy, speaking of distributing, anyone remember who was going to do Little Sparrow? Dreamworld Hermetica, right? FB hates me and refuses to let me find the info (although that might be user error, blah. <_< )

Latest posts

Back