Down the Indie Rabbit Hole

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo today I was on Temptalia and I was lusting over the swatch for Solstice from the new Urban Decay Moondusts and then it occurred to me that I can get the same exact thing from most indie companies. I know I have a similar color from Eccentric Cosmetics called Sea Spirit, and I guarantee Aromaleigh has several variants of the same duochrome. I swear I'll never go back to mainstream.

Sooo today I was on Temptalia and I was lusting over the swatch for Solstice from the new Urban Decay Moondusts and then it occurred to me that I can get the same exact thing from most indie companies. I know I have a similar color from Eccentric Cosmetics called Sea Spirit, and I guarantee Aromaleigh has several variants of the same duochrome. I swear I'll never go back to mainstream.
Solstice is lovely! When someone finds a dupe let us know!

Aromaleigh seems to have quite a few close options in their red/burgundy range:

http://www.aromaleighcosmetics.com/product-tag/redburgundy/

Gals, I'm pretty new to indie and I have a question: what tinted lip balms can you recommend? 

I don't like sheer ones, I'm all about the color but once the winter starts I need sth more moisturizing than traditional lipsticks. But I'd still like sth with quite an intense tint.

Sorry, if it's been discussed before.

Gals, I'm pretty new to indie and I have a question: what tinted lip balms can you recommend? 

I don't like sheer ones, I'm all about the color but once the winter starts I need sth more moisturizing than traditional lipsticks. But I'd still like sth with quite an intense tint.

Sorry, if it's been discussed before.
French Girl Organics (on Etsy) has a great tint called Rose Noir. If you are familiar with Clinique Black Honey, this will give you a great idea of the kind of color and coverage to expect. They also have a pretty red one called Cerise. Both have good color and coverage, enough to tell it's really a lip color and not a Chapstick with a wimpy sprinkling of mica in it, and they're very kind to dry lips.

There's also Tater Rounds Beauty (also on Etsy) and they have lip colors with a more opaque coverage. I find them to be very creamy and moisturizing and wear vey well. They are also insanely inexpensive--I think I paid $12 for a set of three, and there are a ton of shades available.

@@Bflopolska thank you! I really like those tints, they look pretty pigmented. The problem with etsy for me is that shipping to Poland is usually more than the price of the item... Even with really tiny items. I may try Tater however - even though shipping is over twice the price of the balm - because at the least the product itself is really inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@Bflopolska thank you! I really like those tints, they look pretty pigmented. The problem with etsy for me is that shipping to Poland is usually more than the price of the item... Even with really tiny items. I may try Tater however - even though shipping is over twice the price of the balm - because at the least the product itself is really inexpensive.
Proszę! My pleasure! Tater is SO inexpensive, and you get a lot of product for what you pay for. I have a blush of hers that has so much product, I might be able to use it every day for the rest of the year and not use it up. Her shadows are packed full as well, and there is a lot of lipstick in the tubes. Part of why it's so inexpensive is that she does not print labels for her products (except for a little piggy sticker on some jars) thus reducing her overhead. Ingredients can be found on the Etsy page. I have used them for a couple of years and can vouch for the quality.

Okay, I'll ask here:  What is your favorite flavored/scented lip balm from an Indie? I got a Coffin Kisser from NM that ended up having no discernable scent or flavor to it. It still feels nice, but I'm on a quest for my HG balm right now and I'd like something with a strong scent/flavor. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Tinted and non-tinted are both fine, I love both!

One of my faves is Glass Apples by Notoriously Morbid.  It has a sheer red tint, it smells like apples (I don't think there's any flavoring).  And it's named after the Neil Gaiman short story "Snow, Glass, Apples", a re-telling of the Snow White story from the stepmother's perspective.  

One of my faves is Glass Apples by Notoriously Morbid. It has a sheer red tint, it smells like apples (I don't think there's any flavoring). And it's named after the Neil Gaiman short story "Snow, Glass, Apples", a re-telling of the Snow White story from the stepmother's perspective.
That's one of my favorites, too!

Okay, I'll ask here:  What is your favorite flavored/scented lip balm from an Indie? I got a Coffin Kisser from NM that ended up having no discernable scent or flavor to it. It still feels nice, but I'm on a quest for my HG balm right now and I'd like something with a strong scent/flavor. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Tinted and non-tinted are both fine, I love both!
HoG lip balms are my favorite, they come out seasonally with their limited edition releases.

HoG lip balms are my favorite, they come out seasonally with their limited edition releases.
Ahh, I'm glad to hear that. I had a couple of them in my cart when I ordered my Yule samples but just didn't pull the trigger. I'll have to see if they have any when the Valentines or spring stuff comes out, since I know I won't be able to resist buying a few things anyway. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

HoG lip balms smell great, but do be aware they don't have any flavour to them if that's what you're looking for. Also I didn't find them moisturizing enough for me (I have chronic chapped lips, though). The quality is high as far as packaging and formula goes.

HoG lip balms smell great, but do be aware they don't have any flavour to them if that's what you're looking for. Also I didn't find them moisturizing enough for me (I have chronic chapped lips, though). The quality is high as far as packaging and formula goes.
Flavor is nice but scent is more important to me. Sometimes I prefer no flavor that way I'm less likely to lick it off!

Do you have any favorite balms?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Meow Cosmetic foundation samples today. I was surprised that they were able to ship them out their first day back from their holiday. I was totally expecting them later this month given the notice they had up on their site. 

Soooo many sample baggies and all ever so slightly different. It's been a long time since I wore mineral foundation, so there's the readjustment / learning curve on that one, on top of checking color matches. I hope this works out. I'd really prefer a liquid or a cream foundation, but I'm tired of playing the "are you going to irritate my skin?" game. Maybe I'll find that I like mineral foundation. After all, my last one was Bare Minerals, which is probably why I don't have good memories. 

Wait, does Meow count as indie or niche? Am suddenly wondering if this is the right thread for it...

Flavor is nice but scent is more important to me. Sometimes I prefer no flavor that way I'm less likely to lick it off!

Do you have any favorite balms?
I've only gotten HoG balms as far as indies go! My absolute favourite lip balm is from a Canadian company called Epic Blend. The strength of the scent and flavour depends on the type you get -- for example, the Coconut had a medium strength scent and taste, whereas the Vanilla smelled and tasted more like shea butter, and the Green Apple and Berry had scent but no flavour. I think it's because they don't add many extras to the formula. They're my HG so I've only recently started branching out to try indie balms. I want to try Ten Three Lab's salve sticks because I've heard good things about them.

(Coconut is the best out of the four I've tried, but it's also one of my fave scents in general, so YMMV)

I've only gotten HoG balms as far as indies go! My absolute favourite lip balm is from a Canadian company called Epic Blend. The strength of the scent and flavour depends on the type you get -- for example, the Coconut had a medium strength scent and taste, whereas the Vanilla smelled and tasted more like shea butter, and the Green Apple and Berry had scent but no flavour. I think it's because they don't add many extras to the formula. They're my HG so I've only recently started branching out to try indie balms. I want to try Ten Three Lab's salve sticks because I've heard good things about them.

(Coconut is the best out of the four I've tried, but it's also one of my fave scents in general, so YMMV)
I have the coconut Epic Blend and it is really nice! I don't love the coconut (it's not my favorite) but it works well enough that I don't care, lol

Yes, the salve sticks are on my list to try, too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back