EDM changed it's sales tactics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't get the damn website to work. It takes me to the enable cookies page in which I following the directions and it doesn't freakin work!!! I'm getting married Sept.19th and need to place an order. Now I don't know what to do. I'm not sure what alternatives are out there that are close to the colors that match me. I've tried Lumiere, cashmere & veena velvelt and those look like crap on me.

Are there any alternative suggestions for EDM medium beige in matte?? I know there are threads on this in which I'm going to check those out too.

Sorry for sounding so mean

Just email them. They can help you find alternative ways
smile.gif

first time viewing the site..is the prices that bad? from what I was looking at the kits that featured 5 shadows for 10.00 didnt seem to bad. Like I said the site didn't look too bad for prices..

Well - it used to be even cheaper...
wink.gif

(And for god's sake - don't buy any eye shadows until you have checked out TKB Trading. Especially since you are in the US and will get the stuff with ridiculous shipping prices.)

Originally Posted by DiorShowgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif first time viewing the site..is the prices that bad? from what I was looking at the kits that featured 5 shadows for 10.00 didnt seem to bad. Like I said the site didn't look too bad for prices.. I think EDM's prices are VERY reasonable. But the reason for the anger is because the company's owner said their custom kits (6 items for $34 or 12 for $50) would be staying, without question. You can go to their forums and find the posts where the owner said what.
I don't like being lied to.

I have no problems with businesses raising prices or changing their sales tactics, but when they lie about doing it, then I have a problem. To tell your customers the kits are going to stay and to then turn around and have them disappear without so much as an apology (and in fact, some snarky comments about how they're all glad they're gone) is unacceptable business practices to me.

I wasn't waiting to buy one of the kits, but I also feel like the girls who were got double hosed. They were promised the kits would be staying and then told the site was coming soon, in order to get them to hold off on ordering. Now the kits are gone and some of them were waiting for promises that never came true.

I used to order A LOT from EDM a few years ago... Then I found more interesting products/companies
smile.gif

I still think the prices are ok but after reading that thread in EDM forum and especially answers EDM gave... And they call that customer service? :-o

Originally Posted by IslandBreeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think EDM's prices are VERY reasonable. But the reason for the anger is because the company's owner said their custom kits (6 items for $34 or 12 for $50) would be staying, without question. You can go to their forums and find the posts where the owner said what.
I don't like being lied to.

I have no problems with businesses raising prices or changing their sales tactics, but when they lie about doing it, then I have a problem. To tell your customers the kits are going to stay and to then turn around and have them disappear without so much as an apology (and in fact, some snarky comments about how they're all glad they're gone) is unacceptable business practices to me.

I wasn't waiting to buy one of the kits, but I also feel like the girls who were got double hosed. They were promised the kits would be staying and then told the site was coming soon, in order to get them to hold off on ordering. Now the kits are gone and some of them were waiting for promises that never came true.

Exactly!!!

Originally Posted by jewele /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can't get the damn website to work. It takes me to the enable cookies page in which I following the directions and it doesn't freakin work!!! I had that problem when I tried to see what the cost of an order would actually amount to. I think it was with IE and Opera browsers that I kept getting the Enable Cookies page, even though cookies were approved for the site in both. I was never able to get past that page.
I think Firefox worked for my test order, but it never gave me any discount because it counted the multiple foundations as 1 product. I wonder how many of their customers are getting screwed on price because the website doesn't work, and don't even realize they're supposed to be getting a discount?

I'm very annoyed by the no paypal thing. Since I mostly order eyeshadows and the odd blush from EDM, I'm one of the people that wouldn't be hit so bad (if at all? I'm too lazy to do the math) by the kits disappearing and getting 45% off instead when ordering 12 products. But, since they don't take paypal anymore, I feel uncomfortable ordering. I've been a victim of identity theft before, and I just don't like to give my CC number out to any random site.

It's sad, because EDM has been a favorite of mine for a few years, and I've recommended them to so many friends before.

I have often wondered if the drama fuels publicity, so they just keep doing it.

They keep doing the same types of things over and over again, that's for sure.

I pretty much gave up on the forum there. If you are not one of the certain group of regular posters, they pretty much ignore you. Or that's how I felt anyway.

Oh, did they? I have to check that out. Well, that solves my biggest issue with the site. I don't particularly like that they lied to people, but since that didn't happen to me personally, it's not going to keep me from buying stuff I want out of sympathy.

Edit: I went and checked out the EDM forums for confirmation (since the info about payments seems to have vanished from the policies page, and I'm too lazy to make a ghost cart), and over there everyone that was super pissed off just a week ago is now all "Thank you, thank you, you are such a great company, I knew I should have faith in you, blah blah blah.."

These people make me slightly nauseated.

That's good news, but yeah, such a lunatic change in one week's time can leave you dizzy. Whatever, i think we all have our opinions on this company, and whether we choose to continue ordering or not is our problem.

Most of those members over there have never used other brands of real MMU before. If they did it was only Bare Escentials. They have no idea about all the available choices out there in MMU land.

Originally Posted by BlondAmbition /img/forum/go_quote.gif everyone that was super pissed off just a week ago is now all "Thank you, thank you, you are such a great company, I knew I should have faith in you, blah blah blah.."

(northern) Europeans prefer to have as little of excessive emotional fuss as possible, that's why it revolts us so. i call it "happy-happy-joy-joy" attitude and i suspect it is achievable under the condition that a person has lost half a brain.

As far as the "lying" -- I think I've been jaded by them. I take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt. Anything they say is only true for the here and now, and might be completely different by tonight. It's kind of -- almost always been that way. They always offer something and it's gone, or say one thing and it won't come through, or something comes up and gets discontinued. It's just always been that way. Nothing has ever stayed the same with them, so I don't ever assume things anything will stay or follow through. You just kind of cross your fingers and hope they still have what you're expecting when you finish your order.

The prices are higher now compared to how much they used to be (and trust me, this still bugs me a LOT and I'm glad I made my big order before they got rid of their kits), but honestly it's still not a whole lot more expensive than elsewhere. EGM (just cause somebody else mentioned them already) has their full sized foundations at $18, which means EDM is still cheaper.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif The try me kits are free for the first, then they cost $5 each, which is imo a theft for 3 or 4 samples. I had to add another product to the cart to see the discount appear which leds me to think you cannot order a try me kit alone and get it for free. Is that with a single order or multiple orders? I was under the impression that you can still order 1 for free per order, but now you can order multiple sample kits in a single order, for a price. (They've always allowed you to get more than 1 free kit, but they had to be in different orders.) It does say "Discount applies at checkout" so it might not show up as free in the cart until you actually try to check out.

I don't know, i already had a FS foundation and i don't really need anything else at the moment so i didn't try until the final checkout.

Originally Posted by carmonious /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have often wondered if the drama fuels publicity, so they just keep doing it. I get the impression it's more that they are incompetent, and not malicious.
On the other hand, I do think they lie, and I'm not talking about saying the kits were going to stay. (Although that was totally annoying. But that I interpret as Carina being a flake and her financial dept telling her she can't keep them after all.)

I think they wanted/ needed to raise prices, but instead of saying so, and doing it gradually like professional companies do, the customer base was fed a bunch of bull about resellers on ebay and whatnot.

Personally, I don't care much that the prices went up. I buy pricier makeup, and I think EDM quality compares. I just hate the way they did it. (Although it is crazy how much the prices went up, and overnight.)

Originally Posted by BlondAmbition /img/forum/go_quote.gif Edit: I went and checked out the EDM forums for confirmation (since the info about payments seems to have vanished from the policies page, and I'm too lazy to make a ghost cart), and over there everyone that was super pissed off just a week ago is now all "Thank you, thank you, you are such a great company, I knew I should have faith in you, blah blah blah.."

I know, I can't believe they're gushing over EDM bringing back PayPal. Really? They made it more convenient to spend your money with them? That's cause for gratitude?
I don't really pay attention to individual posters, but I'm guessing the grateful people are the same ones who brown nose the company for the stupid freebies.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif Most of those members over there have never used other brands of real MMU before. If they did it was only Bare Escentials. They have no idea about all the available choices out there in MMU land. Well, so here's my dilemma. I spent so long looking for a shade/ miw with EDM that I'm reluctant to start the search over elsewhere. I've ordered samples from Monave and Buff'd, because I'd really rather not give EDM my business any longer, but I haven't even begun playing with the samples. It's quite a time investment!
(Which is why, ultimately, I think people might be so angry at EDM. I know I invested a lot of my time and energy with the company, never mind the money.)

And but also, as much as I think the last two EDM site upgrades were unnecessary and incompetently executed, the other MMU sites look really ghetto in comparison.
sadyes.gif

s0phia - if you've found a foundation that works from EDM, I think you should stick with it. Protesting by not buying is an excellent way to express consumer power, but one also has to weigh the value of protesting to you personally against the hassle of finding a new product.

If you do stay with the EDM, order a few jars and stick them in the back of your makeup drawer - considering the erratic behavior of this company, it's better to be safe than sorry.
wink.gif

Back