EDM changed it's sales tactics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by BlondAmbition /img/forum/go_quote.gif s0phia - if you've found a foundation that works from EDM, I think you should stick with it. Protesting by not buying is an excellent way to express consumer power, but one also has to weigh the value of protesting to you personally against the hassle of finding a new product.
If you do stay with the EDM, order a few jars and stick them in the back of your makeup drawer - considering the erratic behavior of this company, it's better to be safe than sorry.
wink.gif

Thanks for the post, it's a good point, and I actually have a small stockpile, which is part of why I haven't gotten to the new samples. And I don't know if I'm trying to make a statement so much as just being tired of the bs. It's definitely not just this latest turn of events for me; it's how I repeat-ordered a pressed product and got a completely different shade each time, and how they discontinued my favorite shade without notice, and so on and so forth.

Hi everyone, newbie to this site!

I emailed EDM after reading this thread and made them aware of it and also raised my concerns over the issues, such as custom kits, paypal etc.

I received a reply really quickly saying that there haven't been any price hikes (and to be honest I couldn't see any anyway) and they have bought paypal back as well, which for an international buyer like me (I'm in UK) was great to hear.

I was really disappointed the removed the custom kits as the Try me ones will be no good for me due to the fact you can't pick your finish but I was still trying to find my shade.

The person that emailed me back was very kind and although didn't touch on the subject of customs kits offered to help me find a shade by me sending a picture and description of my skin.

I'm not saying that I agree with all their changes at all and haven't visited them enough to know what lies were made but I am just going on my recent experience and to let you know that PAYPAL is back!!

Hopefully I can find a shade. Currently using BM but might have to mix 2 shades to get mine and I have samples of others coming such as Elemental and Earthnicity. But I was liking EDM so hoping I can still use them.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say all is not lost and it seems they are listening to customers points.

As I'm new I hope to chat with you all again as I have found some really helpful stuff here being new to Minerals make up :0)

I like the new homepage and i think the prices are still reasonable. I hadn't shopped there in ages, but i remember that their old prices were so low that they probably had to work 23 hour days to stay in business.

Oh well... when they launched their first new site in may 2008, they said that they were going to keep the kits and ALSO add new kit options to us. But they have done the reverse... I am never ever going to place an order with them again. As there are so much better quality MMU options out there at the same price rate as they offer now, the choise is easy...

I think they're still the cheapest.

Leylani, which other options did you have in mind?

I used EDM for years and had problems with foundations not being consistent and a very unsatisfying situation with them years ago with their lifetime guarantee white brushes. They were horrible but I bought many of them and the replacements were all horrible. Then they refused to honor the lifetime guarantee or issue me a refund for 10 completely useless brushes.

Their prices are lower for full sizes for most things and the kits were great deals but when I compare the quality of their make up (in my humble opinion) the lower prices match the quality.

I've used EDM for years. Sometimes their foundation would blend amazingly with my skin, then I'd order some more and the new batch wouldn't blend quite as nicely. It was hit or miss and I stuck with them because I liked the idea of using earth-friendly makeup (and Carina does seem like she wants that to be a big part of her company), the prices where cheap, and mostly the product was good. Was kind of shocked when I logged onto their site to see it totally changed and saw that the foundation I use to buy for around $8 was now $15 with the cost of shipping.

It's not just worth it to me now.

its starting with littel changes in the site and than bigger changes.

I don't know what the owner think but I'm thinking that she made a huge mistakes.

and she continue to make mistakes.

and its very very sad. its was one of my favorites brands when the have to old old site.

but the wanted to be similer to the rest of the MMU brands and that why the make a lot of changes. but I think its not going to be good for them.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif its starting with littel changes in the site and than bigger changes.I don't know what the owner think but I'm thinking that she made a huge mistakes.

and she continue to make mistakes.

and its very very sad. its was one of my favorites brands when the have to old old site.

but the wanted to be similer to the rest of the MMU brands and that why the make a lot of changes. but I think its not going to be good for them.

Well said Simi. i totally agree with you.
The new site is very offputting, and at the forum they have changed my username to something else...!!?

Im very happy that i have stocked up on the items i love from EDM (Blushes, Natural Reflections) so i dont have to order from them again.

The only foundation formula of decent quality at EDM is the Original Glow, and i have found much better elsewhere.

whistling.gif

So what are you all using in place of EDM? I really like Silk Naturals, but I don't feel like I'm getting the coverage I really need--even with the heavy coverage. Any recommendations? I tried Signature Minerals already and couldn't find a match. Would Meow or EG be good options to try next?

I never used EDM for foundation, but I have recently switched brands from BE to Meow, so I def. recommend you try out Meow.

As for where I shop instead of EDM, for eyeshadows that is: Fyrinnae, Pure Luxe and every now and then Meow (If they offered First Class shipping I'd be there more often). I have to say that I'm really glad I ventured outside of EDM in this area, because these other suppliers make much more fun eyeshadows IMO.
smile.gif

I don't like the new site either. I think it is really "cutesy" but not in a cute way. I also don't like the way they separated the foundations out. I like to have them all on one page. I know they have a compare feature now but ugh it's just another step that I don't think was necessary.

I used to love EDM and recommend it to everyone especially girls with darker skin tones because they had a color that was absolutely perfect for me and I am fairly dark. However, ever since they suddenly decided to not offer ANY foundations for darker skin tones I have not and will not buy anything from that company. I feel the same way for department store brands that do not offer any options for darker skin tones. I find this practice despicable and am not surprised that there are even more problems for everyone now as that is usually how it goes.

Sorry to say this Aataszi, but EDM have very limited options when it comes to foundationshades for ladies whith darker skintones. This have earlier been one of the main issues with them.

There really are companies offering shades for darker complections. Have a look at Pure Anada...

Too bad for all the stuff that has happened. EM was one of the first brands I tried and I got a good match and great coverage and endurance right off the bat with Intensive. Then they changed the formula. It no longer lasts on my face and makes it look dry. And I have dry skin!

More annoyingly so is that the website has been redesigned so many times and I still can't find a match with the revamp they did a few years bad. I feel bad for Carina, she seems to be overworked and getting terrible advice.

Buffd Light, Pure Ananda, Sassy Minerals and Signature Minerals (too dry for me) are the closest in formula to the Intensive.

I have tried MMU from a few companies and have never found one that worked as well for me as EDM. In fact EDM is the only one that hasn't broken me out. If someone could reccommend a company that has MMU comparable to EDM with the fewest number of ingredients, as I'm like allergic to every thing imaginable. I am always on the quest for products that I'm not allergic to
smile.gif

*****As a side note, I LOVED one particular shade they had for darker girls and I know they didn't have a lot of options but they had at least three and they worked well for everyone I referred to them.

yeah I just checked their site now and it's unfortunate that they got rid of a lot of things. what really disappoints me is that now you can no longer create a custom sample kit. I feel like the color choice is limited, and you can't choose what colors are whatever formulas. for example, in the Fair sample kit, there is Fairly Light: Original Glo (interesting enough, the color and formula I use), Fairly Light Neutral: Semi-Matte, Fair: Intensive, and Golden Fair: Matte. well what if I wanted to try matte Golden Fair or original glo Olive Fair (which isn't included in the kit) or something?

and someone said that now you need to pay $5 for any more sample kits you get after the first one? I remember I had to go through three sample kits to find my match. thank goodness I found my right color before the site changed and they did away with the flexibility of choosing your own shades. rawr

well even with the changes, I think I would still buy their products, but only because I already know the makeup line and I know what shade to wear.

oh and another thing, I hate that they no longer offer foundation shades for darker skin tones! last time I checked on the forums, they were gonna work on making new shades in darker colors. I'm nowhere near dark but I think a foundation line cannot be complete without having shades in all different colors. that's discrimination against dark-skinned people!

I believe it's $5 per additional kit in the same order. Previously, if you wanted multiple sample kits, you had to do separate orders (which for US orders ended up being around an extra $5 for shipping per "kit-only" order anyway)

Andrea: Technically, no their single jar prices stayed the same, but it's instead of now offering their 65% off package, you can now enjoy their new and better 45% and 25% off deals!! [/sarcasm] (they weren't the cheapest because they were $12/jar, they were cheapest because in the kits they were more like $4-$5/each)

It's also not that their prices are now outrageous, but they told us that the kits will be replaced with something better...but "better" costs a lot more for the exact same purchase.

They used to have a deep discounted 12 piece kit, and a discounted 6 piece kit, and now it costs more to buy 6 items than it was to buy the entire 12 item kit. Why would anyone be happy with paying the MORE for HALF of what they used to be able to get?

Now what I don't understand, is that they originally said they wanted to try to keep asian re-sellers from buying the kits in bulk and unjustly selling EDM for expensive overseas. So...they make bulk buying even easier? You can now buy "infinity" number of things for their new highest discount...

Back