EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kill me for typing this but I have read this entire thread, post by post, and I have lost a lot of respect for Michelle. She was the very first makeup guru I ever watched on YouTube and in a way I guess I could thank her for sort-of introducing me to cosmetics. I loved her videos up until the point when she got sponsored by Lancome. After that it just went downhill for me. I miss the videos she had where she showed average women how to do makeup with affordable cosmetics. I understand we all have things we splurge on, but to have an entire look done with Lancome just isn't possible for a teenager in high school (at that time..I'm now 21 and it's still not possible on my salary lol) I get that she was being compensated by them, but a product here and there in a video would have sufficed. Then there was the whole sketchiness with IQQU and the FDA. To top it all off, she was deleting comments from customers on Facebook when EM first launched, and let's not even get started on the flaws of the website! If you have to hide the things your customers say then there is something shady going on. No company is perfect and you're never going to be able to please everyone but the least you could do is be honest with your customers. As stated in a post in this thread a while back, if you used the eye shadows wet THEN STATE THAT YOU USED THEM WET. No one is going to think twice about it if you are honest with them. It's when you turn to hiding and lying that get's you into trouble and makes people doubt your integrity and your company's integrity. It seems to me that she is relying on her name alone to suck girls/women into her scheme of over-priced, mediocre cosmetics and it's sad. I saw her commercial for Dr. Pepper on the other day and I don't feel that the "I'm 1/1" thing applies to her. Obviously she's unique, as there is only one of her, but as far as I'm concerned, she's the money-hungry, sell-anything-for-a-quick-buck kinda gal now. Even if she had nothing at all to do with the making of the cosmetics, it's still HER name. If she honestly cared about her name and her fans at all she would concentrate on looking at her fan base and their budget over-all. She would concentrate on making great products at (at least) a reasonable price. She just slapped her name on some so-so makeup and a nice big price tag to go with it. I have already unsubscribed to her on YouTube and I don't think I'll be supporting her endeavor of scamming young women out of their hard earned money. 

This, of course, being my OWN opinion, I am not degrading or looking down upon anyone who loves EM or Michelle herself. It's personal taste and preference.

Thumbs up!!! This is why I kinda love MUT; kinda because someone people can take someone's else context the wrong way and start being catty but I really agree with you on this =)

Kill me for typing this but I have read this entire thread, post by post, and I have lost a lot of respect for Michelle. She was the very first makeup guru I ever watched on YouTube and in a way I guess I could thank her for sort-of introducing me to cosmetics. I loved her videos up until the point when she got sponsored by Lancome. After that it just went downhill for me. I miss the videos she had where she showed average women how to do makeup with affordable cosmetics. I understand we all have things we splurge on, but to have an entire look done with Lancome just isn't possible for a teenager in high school (at that time..I'm now 21 and it's still not possible on my salary lol) I get that she was being compensated by them, but a product here and there in a video would have sufficed. Then there was the whole sketchiness with IQQU and the FDA. To top it all off, she was deleting comments from customers on Facebook when EM first launched, and let's not even get started on the flaws of the website! If you have to hide the things your customers say then there is something shady going on. No company is perfect and you're never going to be able to please everyone but the least you could do is be honest with your customers. As stated in a post in this thread a while back, if you used the eye shadows wet THEN STATE THAT YOU USED THEM WET. No one is going to think twice about it if you are honest with them. It's when you turn to hiding and lying that get's you into trouble and makes people doubt your integrity and your company's integrity. It seems to me that she is relying on her name alone to suck girls/women into her scheme of over-priced, mediocre cosmetics and it's sad. I saw her commercial for Dr. Pepper on the other day and I don't feel that the "I'm 1/1" thing applies to her. Obviously she's unique, as there is only one of her, but as far as I'm concerned, she's the money-hungry, sell-anything-for-a-quick-buck kinda gal now. Even if she had nothing at all to do with the making of the cosmetics, it's still HER name. If she honestly cared about her name and her fans at all she would concentrate on looking at her fan base and their budget over-all. She would concentrate on making great products at (at least) a reasonable price. She just slapped her name on some so-so makeup and a nice big price tag to go with it. I have already unsubscribed to her on YouTube and I don't think I'll be supporting her endeavor of scamming young women out of their hard earned money.  This, of course, being my OWN opinion, I am not degrading or looking down upon anyone who loves EM or Michelle herself. It's personal taste and preference.

@KaitlinKolors, you have the right to your opinion and no one should tell you that you're wrong. 

Personally, I still think EM is overpriced. Considering Michelle's viewers as tweens, teens and college students I still think L'Oreal and PFSweb set the price on the prices way too high. They should aimed the price the products to her demographics as it's marketed towards the demo.

Quote: Originally Posted by viccckyhoang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thumbs up!!!

This is why I kinda love MUT; kinda because someone people can take someone's else context the wrong way and start being catty but I really agree with you on this =)

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @KaitlinKolors, you have the right to your opinion and no one should tell you that you're wrong. 
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to read my post..I know it was lengthy but ya know..sometimes when you get up on that soapbox it's hard to get down :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Personally, I still think EM is overpriced. Considering Michelle's viewers as tweens, teens and college students I still think L'Oreal and PFSweb set the price on the prices way too high. They should aimed the price the products to her demographics as it's marketed towards the demo.
Much agreed. The average woman (and especially not a teen!) Is going to go to a website and drop $75 on an eyeshadow palette. I love Urban Decay and I have a hard time dropping $50 for one of their palettes and I KNOW it's amazing quality.

I used to be a fan of Michelle as well.  Either it's because she's changed or because her presentation and image online are now completely dictated by marketing interests, either way she's sold out and her video's and "follow your dreams and just be you <3" persona is utterly hypocritical, manufactured and antithetical to everything her videos and her words used to value and represent.

Natural beauty and honesty?  Uses photoshop and filters on her videos to brighten and perfect her skin and alter the color and intensity of her products, and erases negative reviews and comments on and off EM's site.

Feel beautiful about yourself no-matter your budget?  Buy Lancome, buy my expensive brand. 

Be healthy and all natural whenever you can?  Drink Diet Dr. Pepper.  

Stick by your ideals and ethical standards? Sells name to/does business with corporations who do animal testing. 

Be yourself?  Has PR firms running all social media representations of her.

The fact that her videos now all recycle the same bit of make-up advice (use your finger! use a brush for dark lips! concealors conceal things!) tells me that they are more marketing vehicle than genuine tutorial.  On top of all this, the fact that she, or her PR people, assume that glossing over these issues with smiley faces and chicken soup inspiration quotes will fool anyone insults me as a consumer and regrettably, ex-fan.  That these tactics DO work on a large number of her fanbase still?  Saddens me. 

The thing is, I never really noticed how much Michelle had changed (I did not sub to her, though I liked her old videos a lot), or put it all into perspective, until I heard about EM Cosmetics and read through this thread.  It feels like EM Cosmetics as a brand is a bit of a microcosm of MIchelle Phan's "career" so to speak, and not in the way that she intended.

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Much agreed. The average woman (and especially not a teen!) Is going to go to a website and drop $75 on an eyeshadow palette. I love Urban Decay and I have a hard time dropping $50 for one of their palettes and I KNOW it's amazing quality.

Tell me about it! Almost all my UD products - except my NAKED palettes (and maybe Anniversary) I bought on clearance from UD or Sephora. I use promo codes, coupons, discounts and gift certificates I earn from Swagbucks or my Birchbox points (not on UD but on other high end products via Birchbox).

Quote: Originally Posted by katelynbby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I used to be a fan of Michelle as well.  Either it's because she's changed or because her presentation and image online are now completely dictated by marketing interests, either way she's sold out and her video's and "follow your dreams and just be you <3" persona is utterly hypocritical, manufactured and antithetical to everything her videos and her words used to value and represent.

Natural beauty and honesty?  Uses photoshop and filters on her videos to brighten and perfect her skin and alter the color and intensity of her products, and erases negative reviews and comments on and off EM's site.

Feel beautiful about yourself no-matter your budget?  Buy Lancome, buy my expensive brand. 

Stick by your ideals and ethical standards? Sells name to/does business with corporations who do animal testing. 

The fact that her videos now all recycle the same bit of make-up advice (use your finger! use a brush for dark lips! concealors conceal things!) tells me that they are more marketing vehicle than genuine tutorial.  On top of all this, the fact that she, or her PR people, assume that glossing over these issues with smiley faces and chicken soup inspiration quotes will fool anyone insults me as a consumer and regrettably, ex-fan.  That these tactics DO work on a large number of her fanbase still?  Saddens me. 

The thing is, I never really noticed how much Michelle had changed (I did not sub to her, though I liked her old videos a lot), or put it all into perspective, until I heard about EM Cosmetics and read through this thread.  It feels like EM Cosmetics as a brand is a bit of a microcosm of MIchelle Phan's "career" so to speak, and not in the way that she intended.
Well said, well said! 
claps.gif
 Her tutorials do seem very "cycled". It's the same information she's been telling her viewers for years. There are several beauty gurus that I've watched for years that still come out with new, interesting looks. Her hypocrytical routine of pimping self-love and confidence in who you are has gotten old especially since she sold herself out to make money. It sucks to see a former role model-esque woman stoop down to such scammy, selfish levels. 

@zadidoll Ulta.com has the UD book of shadows 4 redux for $32 and I had debated about getting it but none of the colors are new or exclusive so I passed. I have to have better self control when it comes to buying makeup. I need to set a rule that it must be on sale or I must have a coupon and/or points to use towards it haha

No kidding. Agree with alot above. couldn't have said it better haha :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) Not to mention, i feel like she's trying to come off as sincere really hard. like in her latest "one of a knd" video...btw, nice product placement...smh...diet soda is so much worse than regular soda...

Quote: Originally Posted by katelynbby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Spot on post. The sad part is that these tactics still work on a large number of her fan base because lots of them are so young and impressionable. I had to unfollow her on social media because it just started to feel very fake.

Haha, I try to keep any criticisms against Michelle Phan herself in check and focus more on her actions and choices as a self-proclaimed beauty guru, businesswoman and role model.  After all, she's personally done nothing, that I am aware of, that's illegal or deliberately harmful or cruel to others.  I just feel her whole persona is manufactured and, with the backing of L'Oreal, now somewhat predatory.  The icing on the cake is that I also just happen to find a lot of the rhetoric and media she produces to be very annoying.  However, I despise how quickly and severely women online are bashed, trolled and attacked online for the pettiest of reasons and with the most asinine of gendered slurs and personal insults, especially when girls dare to make themselves visible or garner success.  It's a toxic, sexist miasma I want nothing to do with.  Michelle Phan will only ever frustrate me, provided she doesn't cross the line into illegal/knowingly harmful territory. 

EM Cosmetics, though, as a company, I am still angry with and hold no such reservations.  Their practices provide the predatory malice that seems to linger behind Michelle's videos, and mess with people as paying costumers.

Update on my returns:

Got my refunds back today, in a manner of speaking.  They are in my paypal account, so now I get to wait another 4 days for the transfer to my bank.  They split it into three separate refunds, the amounts of each not really making sense (one was for 2 dollars), but the grand total of them combined equaled what I paid, including tax. Yay! 

Still, from the time I requested a refund (1/4/2014) until the money showed up in my paypal account (1/18/2012) that is a whole two weeks. Note that I sent my return items the same day I got my return label, and FedEx ships overnight. I encourage anyone seeking to return, or wanting to go ahead and buy any EM Cosmetics to:

-Keep all of the packaging; the product boxes and the shipping materials. The return label they send should be prepaid, but you should also not have to waste money on the shipping materials, and EM wants you to return the products in their original packaging.

-Keep your return slip and order summary. 

-Contact a representative first and print out and save the conversation for your records.

-Expect a wait.  I waited four days for my return label, then ten days for my refund.  If you use paypal, add another 3-4 days onto that.

-Note that EM Cosmetics uses FedEx for their returns. 

Here in a bit I am going to try contacting a customer service rep about the state of my altered/hacked up/not posted reviews.  It bugs me that, even if no one reads them, my opinions are being misrepresented.

So I was lurking on guru gossiper and looked at the Em thread there. I found something interesting. 

The girl that does the marketing for em apparently got a new job....

Do you think em is slowly going downhill? There are no more sales or many new posts on their instagram page...

Not necessarily. Lancome is owned by L'Oreal which also owns EM so it's possible that she's still with EM and has a new (2nd) job with Lancome. It's also possible they (L'Oreal) switched people around to bring in someone else from a different L'Oreal line to work on EM. We'll never know for sure.

Quote: Originally Posted by beautygroove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I was lurking on guru gossiper and looked at the Em thread there. I found something interesting. 

The girl that does the marketing for em apparently got a new job....

Do you think em is slowly going downhill? There are no more sales or many new posts on their instagram page...
So this is probably off topic, but I just wanted to note that I had never heard of Guru Gossiper until you just made a reference to it. Out of curiosity, I used my friend Google to find it and I'm just so.... disheartened. I did not know that such vile, mean forums existed. Women tearing women down is just so heartbreaking and cruel. I truly did not understand how deep internet bullying could go. Five minutes on that website made me realize what a great community MUT is. Even though many people in this thread are dissatisfied with the corporate turn Michelle has taken in recent years/months, our critiques of her business practices consist of rainbows and kitties compared to that forum. Ugh. I wish I could unseen some of those posts. 
sadno.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jocedun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So this is probably off topic, but I just wanted to note that I had never heard of Guru Gossiper until you just made a reference to it. Out of curiosity, I used my friend Google to find it and I'm just so.... disheartened. I did not know that such vile, mean forums existed. Women tearing women down is just so heartbreaking and cruel. I truly did not understand how deep internet bullying could go. Five minutes on that website made me realize what a great community MUT is. Even though many people in this thread are dissatisfied with the corporate turn Michelle has taken in recent years/months, our critiques of her business practices consist of rainbows and kitties compared to that forum. Ugh. I wish I could unseen some of those posts. 
sadno.gif

Oh man, checking that place out was a mistake.  There's a difference between criticizing a Guru's cosmetic skills, knowledge, creativity and video quality, and body shaming and throwing around various isms.  Five minutes on one Guru subthread and I found:

*Fat shaming.  So much fat shaming.

*Claiming that a guru should have had a baby since she quit her job.  You know, to make her life worthwhile/ not be lazy.

*Transphobia.  Using "Drag Queen" as an insult will always be transphobic.   Funny since apparently hate speech is against their own community rules.

Not to mention the pettiness.  Grilling guru's for things they have no control over about their bodies and faces; hating them for using a product; bashing on their taste in decor or dress, etc.

Yeah the folks on guru gossiper can be vicious. They point out every single flaw there is to a person. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
They are just RUTHLESS over there. I came across the forum after getting just completely frustrated with youtube for turning into what is basically one long commercial disguised as tutorials or reviews but man....makes me appreciate this forum so much more. They tear people apart over everything.

Y'all think GG is bad....The Gyaru Secrets community is just....nasty. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

If Em is going down the toilet, I hope someone else picks up the chiaroscuro stick idea, I rather like it.

I like her personally. Like her makeup tutorials on YouTube, and other videos. For her cosmetics line I think it's fine, and I do plan on buying it. Though I have heard the packaging is horrible, but in all honesty I really don't care what the package looks like in the first place.

Though for some people it's expensive. I agree, but still I am gonna buy it.

Man I want to try her love me for me flawless foundation, but they're not in stock. I don't know when they might restock boohoo. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The life palettes looks good I think I am gonna buy the love life and day life palette.

I don't know about her concealer though, but I will give that a try as well. :3

Latest posts

Back