EM Cosmetics: Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quality of the palettes themselves is not bad. The packaging used for shipment, I think they can do better as the products are marketed as higher-end--I've seen Etsy vendors sending out bundles of cheap eye colors in better, more protective packaging while still keeping things attractive. That being said, I think Em is expensive for the target demographic of teens and young college-age women. For a more mature career woman who routinely buys higher-end cosmetics, Em has a price point on par with department stores; I don't find it prohibitively expensive myself, but then I'm in my late 40s and a Life Palette (should I choose to buy one--I'm not much of an eyeshadow person so I have little need for one) would not cost half a paycheck. For the college student working part time flipping burgers, however, it might be too much. I think the minds behind L'Oreal have essentially a good idea, but poorly executed. Were I marketing these products I'd scrap the idea of the big Life Palette altogether, except perhaps as a special edition offered a few times a year, and concentrate instead on the smaller and more manageable ones (I think they're called Moment Palettes?) I believe that they would better meet the needs of the young women who are being targeted by Marketing and R&D, both in terms of practicality and budget.

I received one of her mascaras in a recent ipsy bag and I thought it was garbage. Super thick and clumpy without adding anything meaningful to my lashes. I personally am not going to concern myself with trying any more of this line.

I tried one item (the EM Waterline in "Sunshine Yellow") and was pleased with it. She seems like a nice person too. I really like Ipsy, which I recently joined about a month or so ago.

I like the career life palette, my only complaint is having the lip product so close to the eye makeup and blush - there does see to be a little transfer if you're not careful.

I don't mind her, I do subscribe to her channel. But I'm more of a Promise Phan fan. I do love her lipsticks though, they are very creamy and smell like orange creme.

the packaging of the eyeshadow palettes looks so cheap, like what i used to bu when i was 7 hehehehe , and the pigmentation is not so good at all  ....

and putting lip glosses right next to eyeshadow and blush in one palette is wrong , the colors fall out on each other 

I got a sampler that was essentially a few dime-sized shadows and was not impressed. However, I did get a blush and bronzer compact that I like, and a couple of lipsticks which are really nice and have great staying power. I won't buy them again unless there's a good sale, though. Em is essentially L'Oreal, with comparable quality, and for the price I can not only buy L'Oreal but likely get more product.

I got a sampler that was essentially a few dime-sized shadows and was not impressed. However, I did get a blush and bronzer compact that I like, and a couple of lipsticks which are really nice and have great staying power. I won't buy them again unless there's a good sale, though. Em is essentially L'Oreal, with comparable quality, and for the price I can not only buy L'Oreal but likely get more product.

I didn't use my eyeliner for a while and I opened the cap and the whole thing fell out broken.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I don't mind her, I do subscribe to her channel. But I'm more of a Promise Phan fan. I do love her lipsticks though, they are very creamy and smell like orange creme.
Promise is awesome. And if you haven't checked her out- Anastasiya Shpagina is really talented. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Has anyone else gotten this email about improved pricing?

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone else gotten this email about improved pricing?
I got it too!

I click on Shop Now and went to the area that supposedly has lower prices.

Waterline is $18.

Pillow plus is $14

Creamy color lipstick is $15

Is this any cheaper?

I find it funny as hell! I haven't checked yet, but I noticed that one off the lower prices is only lower by a dollar, lol.

The Life Palletes are now $16 cheaper, and the Shade Play Pallete's $10 cheaper, which are significant decreases, but the other markdowns are around 1.00-4.00 off.

[@]KittenZ[/@] And isn't that waterliner higher than it was? I thought it was $16 before? Those life palettes are still too high, those palettes are worth $45 tops.

Oh wow, they finally took the advice people have been giving them. Did I get everything?

Old Prices New Prices Difference Brow Liner $19.00 $18.00 $1.00 Chiaroscuro $25.00 $24.00 $1.00 Color Facets $19.00 $16.00 $3.00 Eye Primer $15.00 $15.00 $0.00 Face Primer $25.00 $19.00 $6.00 Life Moments*

Winter Life Moments are on sale

$29.00* $29.00*

$25

$0.00*

$5.00

Life Palette $75.00 $59.00 $16.00 Lip Gallery $16.50 $15.00 $1.50 Love Me For Me $30.00 $25.00 $5.00 Makeup Mood Enhancer $25.00 $23.00 $2.00 Mascara $20.00 $16.00 $4.00 Pillow Plush $15.00 $14.00 $1.00 Shade Play (blush/bronzer) $28.00 $28.00 $0.00 Shade Play (concealer) $30.00 $28.00 $2.00 Shade Play (eyes) $38.00 $28.00 $10.00 Shade Play (lips) $28.00 $28.00 $0.00 The Everything CC $30.00 $23.00 $7.00 The Great Coverup $19.00 $17.00 $2.00 Waterliner $20.00 $18.00 $2.00
Brushes - no change.

[@]zadidoll[/@] Yup that looks about right. Zadi, do you mind if I use this in my post since you have it all typed out nicely? I always give you credit when I use your stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@zadidoll

Yup that looks about right. Zadi, do you mind if I use this in my post since you have it all typed out nicely? I always give you credit when I use your stuff.

Sure can.

In regards to international shipping, EM is not offering international shipping. What they're now offering is encouraging people to us MyUS.com and create an account there which will allow international customers to have a US address. EM will then ship to that US address and in turn the customer pays MyUS to ship to them. Cost to sign up - $10 or $20 but the fee is applied to the person's first export order on MyUS. There is a 2nd catch, or a few that is.

Note that the "Standard" tier has no monthly fee BUT for every day they hold a package (and this is PER PACKAGE) they charge an additional $1. They also don't consolidate orders so say someone orders from EM and from Sephora they have to pay for both orders to be shipped internationally which can get expensive. The Premium tier costs $20 to sign up but that one does cost a person $7 per month to have. There is also an additional charge of 3% up to 10% depending on which tier is selected.

From their site:

Quote: The Personal Shopper fee for Standard members is 5% when paying by wire transfer, 10% when paying by credit card. Premium and Premium+Mail customers pay 3%

This option can get VERY expensive between the cost to order the merchandise, the cost to use MyUS and the actual cost to ship internationally. http://www.myus.com/en/international-shipping-rates/

Latest posts

Back