Eyeshadow Mania! - An eyeshadow show n' tell

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was a Princess Bride set?
unsure.gif
I'm not following them on every social media platform they have....I shall NOT miss any more of this awesomeness. (I'm seriously a big geek LOL)

They had a huge Reckoning of something like five dozen shades back in...  November, I think.  The Princess Bride set was just one of several casualties.  I had a list of all of the sets and fandoms before the Reckoning, but I think I tossed it because it made me sad to know what I had missed out on.

And now:  Timey Wimey!  I apologize for the slanted photo.  I was afraid I would end up dumping one on my carpet and just left it wonky.
Top row, L to R:  Bigger on the Inside, Bad Wolf, We Are Coming
Middle row, L to R:  Don't Blink, Exterminate
Bottom row, L to R:  Sexy in Suspenders, Yes Sir, Untimely Love

ETA: This company quite possibly makes *the* most sparkly shadows I have ever encountered, in case that makes a difference either way. Photos cannot capture all of the glitter. Pretty!

So I just received an email today letting me know that Paula's Choice now sells an all-matte nude eyeshadow palette, that was designed in collaboration with Wayne Goss. So far I've only been able to find one person's swatches online. There's something inside me that is screaming that I must purchase, while the stern voice of reason is firmly insisting that I must wait until I'm at a point where I don't need to come up with reasons to justify the cost of random things to myself. 

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I just received an email today letting me know that Paula's Choice now sells an all-matte nude eyeshadow palette, that was designed in collaboration with Wayne Goss. So far I've only been able to find one person's swatches online. There's something inside me that is screaming that I must purchase, while the stern voice of reason is firmly insisting that I must wait until I'm at a point where I don't need to come up with reasons to justify the cost of random things to myself. 
I haven't even seen it but I know I want it!

SO EXCITED! My GCC Win or Die collection samples have been delivered! Just a few hours until I can swatch it! I think my March order will be Superneutrals and maybe a blush (all samples) since it's starting to look like there won't be a new collection before the end of the month.

I get weirdness when I try to go back and forth between my phone and my laptop, so I'm double posting on my laptop here, and I'll circle back to add the swatch photo!  I didn't take a picture of the jars because I got clamshell samples, and they're a mess to leave open and try to photograph, so I'm leaving this as just a photo of the swatches.  GCC Win or Die, inspired by _Game of Thrones_.  Note:  The site has awesome commentary on the various things that inspire their colors as well as descriptions of the shades that include things like "An opulent, indulgent gold as rich as a Lannister and overflowing with silver stags, golden dragons and glittering ruby sparkles. As much bling as we could possibly fit into one chest" (that's the description for The Imp), so it's worth poking around on there just for the entertainment value! Top to bottom, L to R, all over Starlooks white pencil: Across the Narrow Sea, Born in Fire, Brotherhood of Crows The Imp, Kingslayer The Pointy End, Sellsword, The Spider

I get weirdness when I try to go back and forth between my phone and my laptop, so I'm double posting on my laptop here, and I'll circle back to add the swatch photo!  I didn't take a picture of the jars because I got clamshell samples, and they're a mess to leave open and try to photograph, so I'm leaving this as just a photo of the swatches.  GCC Win or Die, inspired by _Game of Thrones_.  Note:  The site has awesome commentary on the various things that inspire their colors as well as descriptions of the shades that include things like "An opulent, indulgent gold as rich as a Lannister and overflowing with silver stags, golden dragons and glittering ruby sparkles. As much bling as we could possibly fit into one chest" (that's the description for The Imp), so it's worth poking around on there just for the entertainment value!

Top to bottom, L to R, all over Starlooks white pencil:
Across the Narrow Sea, Born in Fire, Brotherhood of Crows
The Imp, Kingslayer
The Pointy End, Sellsword, The Spider

That  blue and the gold underneath are awesome.

So... Aromaleigh. How are they doing business-wise nowadays? In the words of someone on another forum, have they gotten their shit together yet?

Double-posting because swatches!  Glamour Doll Eyes Spring Fling '14 collection.  Posting text now from my laptop, doubling back to photos from my phone because the two different editors do not play will together when it comes to drafts.

• Top row, L to R:  Longing for Spring (March 2014 GWP, which I am considering an honorary Spring Fling shade), Flourish Hydraglaze, and Morning Glory HydraGlaze.
  • Second row, L to R: Delilah, Disguise, Evacuate.
  • Third row, L to R:  In Memory and Marquee.
  • Bottom row, L to R:  Old Money, Pipe Dream, and Surrogate.
And a story.  Okay.  GDE Spring Fling order received.  Colors swatched.  Oof, I love metallic minty greens to begin with, and In Memory is *gorgeous*.  Quite possibly my favorite!  Oh, hey, I should take a picture of all of the jars!  So I took them into the bathroom so the kitties wouldn't knock them over, plus the lighting is better in the bathroom.  As I was trying to put the lid back on In Memory (too appropriate), it flipped out of my hands, hit the side of the bathtub, and fell on the floor next to the toilet.  I'm not using that one.  I might wash/boil/sterilize (yay, greater-than-95% pure rubbing alcohol!) the jar to use for something else, but the contents?  No.  Replacement order already completed.  On the up side, GDE shipping is *speedy* (I already have the shipping notice.  It took a whole two minutes after I placed the order.  Is that an automated shipping system or something that generates tracking within minutes of ordering, or is this a company run by Time Lords who can loop back to get things done?), so I should have that replacement shortly, and I do have a baggie sample of this one from my March OTM (I had been planning on saving it to pass on to someone else who needed to experience this beauty) if I really need to wear it before the order arrives. 

Double-posting because swatches!  Glamour Doll Eyes Spring Fling '14 collection.  Posting text now from my laptop, doubling back to photos from my phone because the two different editors do not play will together when it comes to drafts.
  • Top row, L to R:  Longing for Spring (March 2014 GWP, which I am considering an honorary Spring Fling shade), Flourish Hydraglaze, and Morning Glory HydraGlaze.
And a story.  Okay.  GDE Spring Fling order received.  Colors swatched.  Oof, I love metallic minty greens to begin with, and In Memory is *gorgeous*.  Quite possibly my favorite!  Oh, hey, I should take a picture of all of the jars!  So I took them into the bathroom so the kitties wouldn't knock them over, plus the lighting is better in the bathroom.  As I was trying to put the lid back on In Memory (too appropriate), it flipped out of my hands, hit the side of the bathtub, and fell on the floor next to the toilet.  I'm not using that one.  I might wash/boil/sterilize (yay, greater-than-95% pure rubbing alcohol!) the jar to use for something else, but the contents?  No.  Replacement order already completed.  On the up side, GDE shipping is *speedy* (I already have the shipping notice.  It took a whole two minutes after I placed the order.  Is that an automated shipping system or something that generates tracking within minutes of ordering, or is this a company run by Time Lords who can loop back to get things done?), so I should have that replacement shortly, and I do have a baggie sample of this one from my March OTM (I had been planning on saving it to pass on to someone else who needed to experience this beauty) if I really need to wear it before the order arrives. 
I NEED THESE IN MY LIFE!!!

I have moooooore for you today! My newest absolute love (do I say that about every palette? LOL) - THE TOO FACED CHOCOLATE BAR PALETTE!
HERE'S THE LOOK I CREATED USING THE PALETTE:
Oh sweet baby jesus! I'm kinda late to this thread but can you tell me what colors you used for this look? If you remember? I also told myself i did'nt need this palette, but i was so very VERY wrong!

Thanks for posting swatches! I keep asking myself if I should order this set or not since I have so many shadows. Also sorry to hear about what happened to your shadow.

New brand! Daily Lovelies. I can't do swatches right now (I bought their Sherlock, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter collections, but I am in the middle of a comic con dealer room), but here's their display:
Swatches to come after I get laptop wifi access.

New brand! Daily Lovelies. I can't do swatches right now (I bought their Sherlock, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter collections, but I am in the middle of a comic con dealer room), but here's their display:
Swatches to come after I get laptop wifi access.
Can't wait to see the Harry Potter swatches ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh sweet baby jesus! I'm kinda late to this thread but can you tell me what colors you used for this look? If you remember? I also told myself i did'nt need this palette, but i was so very VERY wrong!
Hey there! @@kellsbells I'm so sorry I haven't answered you sooner! I've been so sick for the past few weeks, I haven't gotten on the computer much at all! Ummmm....let's see...I used:

White Chocolate - entire upper eyelid up to my eyebrow

Champagne Truffle - inner corners of my eyes and below eyebrow for highlight

Strawberry Bon Bon - inside of eyelids, about half way across eye

Amaretto - middle of eyelids and out towards the outer corners, as well as underneath bottom lashes

Cherry Cordial - outside edge of my eyelids

Candied Violet - in crease and slightly upwards

Again, my apologies for replying so late!

Blech. I received the GCC Superneutrals collection yesterday, but since I can't post photos from my phone anymore (and we seem to have lost all the old photos, at least on the mobile version of the site! Ack! For a board like MUT, this is a *huge* problem!), I can't post swatches. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to handle this place without this functionality!

Any quick tips on applying Shiro eye shadows...or loose shadows in general? I'm a total noob to the loose eye shadow world, and I am waiting on my order to come in. I've never used loose powders before and I'm nervous I won't be able to use them right. 

Any quick tips on applying Shiro eye shadows...or loose shadows in general? I'm a total noob to the loose eye shadow world, and I am waiting on my order to come in. I've never used loose powders before and I'm nervous I won't be able to use them right.
One word: Primer. You need some kind of base to get the powder to cling to your skin. Pressed powders have that stuff in it. And I find I have more success with packing or patting it on rather than sweeping for the initial application. And mainly just practice. If you're staying home in your pjs or t-shirt and yoga pants, dig out your brushes and play. I have come up with my approach entirely on my own on weekends when I'm just staying home cleaning all weekend (read: not going out in public where someone might look askance at my attempt at trying something new). I'm big on ignoring rules and figuring out what I like.

Primer is a must. If you're using a glittery loose shadow, then some form of glitter glue is something to consider too (Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy and Darling Girl Glitter Glue seem pretty popular as far as indie glitter glues). More matte/less sparkly shades don't do as well over glitter glue. People have swatched Shiro shadows over Urban Decay Primer Potion, a glitter glue, and both as comparisons - you can look them up to decide if the shades you have will need the glue. I think the swatches on Shiro's website are swatched over glitter glue.

Also, if you do decide to use a glitter glue, remember that you'll also want to use a primer first to prevent creasing.

One word: Primer. You need some kind of base to get the powder to cling to your skin. Pressed powders have that stuff in it. And I find I have more success with packing or patting it on rather than sweeping for the initial application. And mainly just practice. If you're staying home in your pjs or t-shirt and yoga pants, dig out your brushes and play. I have come up with my approach entirely on my own on weekends when I'm just staying home cleaning all weekend (read: not going out in public where someone might look askance at my attempt at trying something new). I'm big on ignoring rules and figuring out what I like.

Primer is a must. If you're using a glittery loose shadow, then some form of glitter glue is something to consider too (Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy and Darling Girl Glitter Glue seem pretty popular as far as indie glitter glues). More matte/less sparkly shades don't do as well over glitter glue. People have swatched Shiro shadows over Urban Decay Primer Potion, a glitter glue, and both as comparisons - you can look them up to decide if the shades you have will need the glue. I think the swatches on Shiro's website are swatched over glitter glue.

Also, if you do decide to use a glitter glue, remember that you'll also want to use a primer first to prevent creasing.
Thank you both!! I think I'm just going to have to experiment with a bunch of primers and applications until I find what works on me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Girls! Halp! 

I'm planning to use this month's IPSY code to buy palettes from Coastal Scents, but I need help choosing! 

For the 120 palettes, does the 2nd plate lock into the lid, or is it just a removable tray?

In my cart right now I have the 88 Original Palette http://www.coastalscents.com/sale/pl-001.html, the Metal Mania Palette http://www.coastalscents.com/pl-015.html, the 120 Palette Two http://www.coastalscents.com/sale/120-palette-2.html and the Go Palette Moscow http://www.coastalscents.com/moscow.html

As far as colours go, I tend to shy away from browns and creams and go straight for the blacks, dark purples, silvers and lately (thanks to my Bora Bora quad from BaB) teals. 

I was going to forgo the 88 palettes and pick up the 120 Two, but then the 88's went on sale and I realized I could get TWO of those for the price of a 120! 

So... do I go for the 120? Or get two 88's? And if I get two 88's should I get the 88 Original? Or the 88 Ultra Shimmer Palette? 

I'm a little concerned about colour crossover in getting two 88's. I have no idea how many of these colours I will even use, but I have this  overwhelming compulsion to "buy all the pretties"! haha

Back