Favorite Foundation for the more matured skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly is "MINERAL MAKEUP"???:icon_roll

I basically have normal skin, but during the winter, I get really DRY. I like the "glow" look foundations. Doesn't make my face look dried out.

If there is a Sephora or Ulta by you, you should check out BE. Many ladies love it and swear by it.

Hi JoAnne.... mineral makeup is just that... it's all natural micronized minerals from the earth. I like the idea of not putting chemicals on my face anymore, and frankly, it's the best foundation I've ever used. And it's actually good for your skin.There's lots of info about it on the web and you can do all the research you want before you buy. And yes, lots of them have the 'glow' you're looking for.

Hi Jo Ann in Texas! My best friend lives in TX! So I know how the weather can be. I am starting to have the "hormonal horrors" myself, of course with PMS was there EVER a time when we didn't have the hormonal horrors? I am just encountering the problem of having to do trial and error to see what works. I can't wear those for "mature" skin because I break out and the dry, matte stuff makes me look dry and crinkly! I found I have to use oil free but moisturizing. I know a lot of the ladies are recommending Bare Minerals or a mineral makeup. I have been using mineral makeup for years and love it, but now that it is starting to look dry on my skin. But then, I know how things can change from day to day. My skin just doesn't act the same. But Bare Minerals works really great because it is light and glides over skin. It is good to have a back up for when your skin misbehaves though. A lot of the makeups I try and like that I think might work for you are way over the $20 range though! But, I do know that the Clinique one that someone mentioned is very nice. Also Prescriptives makes some nice foundations. I did find one that was a liquid that worked REALLY well and they sell it on QVC. But it is $39. It is by Dr. Denese skin care and it is a Vitamin C foundation and if you get the Vitamin C radiance cream that goes with it, the cream works as a primer and your skin looks perfect, smooth soft and younger. I don't know if you have, but I have been having trouble with powders lately. I know it is hard to find a base that covers all those "things" you don't want to show but not look like you used a spackle knife to put it on! I read a review of a lady who used Merle Norman makeup. She liked it really well. They have different kinds, a creamy souffle' type, a liquid and some others. I don't know their price ranges. You might try that new Cover Girl in the silver compact with the Olay treatment in it they sell at drugstores, walmart, walgreen's, etc. That is supposed to be just for our age bracket! Also, the Maybelline Rewind one is supposed to be good. I liked the Clinique compact makeup I think it is called City Block or something close to that. It is a very light weight cream that has a spf in it and you just sponge it on. It isn't greasy, feels natural and light and is about $20. It is convenient to carry too. Elizabeth Arden has something similar called Flawless Finish compact and it covers without looking heavy or feeling heavy and has moisture. I hope that has given you some ideas. I tried the Revlon age defying and it was thick and showed my pores but I did like the colorstay foundation so that is another option. If you see someone whose skin you like ask them what they are wearing! If it looks good on someone else and you like the look, chances are you might like the way it looks on you! Just try samples of anything you can and you will find one that works, also make sure there is a good return policy! Good Luck on your hunt and I hope some of these ideas helped.:icon_smil Chermarie

My mom is in her 50s and she really likes Lumene liquid foundations. They have a lifting foundation called Skin Supporter that is under $20. You can find them at CVS Pharmacy and they are also available online at CVS.com. Lumene is a european line and is available here in the US at CVS.

I was gonna mention the Skin supporter too! I used it before, and it looked good (I don´t have mature skin, but used is since I could find a matching color and it worked nice with my normal - dry skin) on, don´t think it will emphase wrinkles. I stopped using it since I didn´t like the smell, som maybe you should make sure to sniff it first.

//Jenny

This is an interesting topic. I am trying to find a foundation for my mother. We want it to look natural and even her skin out. The problem is that she is an NC44-45 and it is hard enough finding colors that match nevermind foundations for mature skin. LOL I guess foundation companies still have a long way to go in a lot of areas.

Yes, they certainly do. Try Revlons New Complexion compact cream to powder. The caramel shade should be her match. It sells for $8.99-$11.99 and is always on sale somewhere--Walmart, CVS, Walgreens etc for $6.99-$8.99. It does not contain oil, but like many foundations uses silicone. Try using it and touching up with the Black Opal "invisible" blotting powder, which works like MAC Blot but sells for $8.99(even better on sale.) I've used this one myself in the past.

I've got this and I do use it, but it is not my favorite. I far prefer Maybelline Dream Mousse. I'm 50....Though, now I am quite curious about the bare mineral thing.....

:clap I will second that on the Revlon New Complexion! I tried it and it was nice and light and the silicones don't "settle", they kind of glide over stuff. PLUS, I love anything I can carry with me that is convenient and easy for touch ups. I did like it and the price range was good. I used it with a very light non caking matifier powder over the top(it has no color and really no weight, you dont' see it in a "puddle" like regular powder and you just dust it over really lightly) and had good luck with it on those days when my skin needs a little something extra and feels kind of dry. It is easy to find too!:icon_smil Chermarie

:icon_smil Hi Jo Ann, Mineral Makeup is basically crushed minerals from the earth in a light powder form. They can come like loose powder or pressed and some have a "glow" and some have a semi matte finish. They are very light weight and cover pretty well, but you should go online and check out mineral makeups and then try samples from different lines and see if it will work for you and if one is better for you. I have been using BareEscentuals, bare minerals for years but then switched to Pur minerals because I like the pressed compact and BE (Bare Escentuals) didn't make it. But I notice some days my skin is starting to get drier and the minerals make it feel drier and there is NO way I can use it around my eyes because it settles in the lines and makes it wrinkly and drier. Some women have no problem with it though so it is a personal thing. I would try samples if you want to see how you will do with it. Just make sure to use a VERY light hand when applying and kind of dust it or buff it on your skin, NOT USING MUCH AT ALL! You can tell if you have too much on. Just use a little bit! Hope that helps!:icon_bigg Chermarie

Hi JoAnn! I have the CG Advanced Radiance compact that Chermarie mentioned. I am only 18, so I can't say much about anti-aging benefits, but the foundation itself is nice, it has a lot of 'slip' so you have lots of time to blend it in, and it has light-medium coverage with a brush, heavier with fingers. The finish is satiny on me, but I use it over a moisturizer. I'm not sure if I believe that the Olay skincare does anything in my foundation, but it isn't breaking me out, so I don't care. And I use my Bare Escentuals lightly over it if I need a bit more coverage.

Be sure to tell us if you find something that you like!:icon_chee

Hi,

Minerals are finely ground, naturally occuring substances from the earth. Generally, makeup companies take these and add fillers.

When searching for mineral foundation you should always verify the ingredients. Bare Escentuals contains a high amount of mica and ocy bismuth. The mica causes the "glow" associated with minerals and the ocy bismuth can be irritating to a lot of people. The "glow/pearlized look" doesn't always look very natural on medium to darker shades of skin, therefore, you must also buy the Mineral Veil to tone it down. I tried the dark and deep shades but the glow left me unhappy, therefore I returned them. There are many mineral makeup companies such as Pur Minerals, Monave, Jane Iredale, Herbs of Grace and Sohlo, check them out! Sohlo does custom blending and does not contain ocy bismuth. Jane Iredale does contain a minimal amount of ocy bismuth, but has a pressed and loose line. I would suggest that you email the companies and purchase samples. You can also find these products on Ebay. Many dermatologist and plastic surgeons recommend minerals because they have a natural spf, are non-irritating to sensitive skin and can be healing.

I just can't thank each and everyone of you who have responded to my problem in finding a good FOUNDATION for my aging skin!:icon_chee

It seems like I woke up one morning and I have older looking skin!:icon_sad:

I plan to check out each and every suggestion you guys have suggested to me. I know I can find a foundation now, that you have all given me so many GREAT suggestions! :clap

JoAnn in TEXAS not happy with my soon to be 60 aging skin! :icon_redf

:clap Speeritual is right! Don't worry about turning 60, look at the alternative! Everyone ages unless they can't, if you know what I mean... I am sure you have family and friends that are happy you are there with them and you happy to be with them to turn 60. My son told me, when I was complaining about getting older, "the kids and I are looking forward to having their grandma Cher around for a LONG time, REMEMBER THAT! We WANT you here to get older with us!" I had him when I was pretty YOUNG and we are VERY close so I am glad he STILL wants to keep me around! So in the face of that, getting older wasn't really something to think about. Look at Bette Midler! She is turning 60 this week and I just saw her on the view in a cool fitted fishtail skirt with a cute jacket and she looked hot! 60 today is what the 40's used to be. Just like 40 is the new 30! With all our new technologies and cosmeceuticals we are looking REALLY good longer. And heck I started dating younger men 20 years ago before it was "cool" and THEY never had a problem with my age and no one even noticed! I just enjoyed it and my son said,"hey mom, if you can do it and it doesn't matter to anyone...more power to you(!) age doesn't matter." Of course then he added, "just please mom, I dont' want to see you on Jeraldo or anything!" What a kid! hahaha!:icon_redf Heck, I love him, what can I say? But then when asked he did say, "women look WAY better than men as they age. As far as aging "well", I'd pick an older woman anyday, men don't look that good at the same age." Anyway, Don't stress! Just do yourself up, smile and get out there girl!:icon_chee Chermarie

You all have lifted my spirits about me turing 60 soon (March 19). :icon_chee

Certain BIRTHDAYS bothered me more than others. For instance, 30, liked to have killed me. Oh I hated to get out of my 20's. Age 30 was a turning point for me! Didn't like it at all. LOL

Then came along 40. 40 didn't bother me too terribly much. Didn't like 50 very well. Started feeling much OLDER! Now 60 is bothering me a whole heck of a lot! :icon_wink

But, I will get over it, I suppose? If I didn't have so many dang aches and pains, I might not DREAD the "60's" as badly? :icon_lol:

How about you guys, did, certain BIRTHDAYS bother you more than others?

Just curious???? :icon_wink

Oh, of course! I never minded for years and years. Forty hit me hard and I didn't expect it. I just turned fifty in August. ACK! The expectation of it was the worst. Then it is just another day and you feel the same way you did the day before. Everyone at work wore black and made a big deal of it and it was kinda fun. My hubby got there two years ahead of me and reassured me it was no big deal. Yeah, he's right. It helps that I work out and I'm in the best shape I've been in in ages. It helps that I've been married for over two years to the love of my life. I have no complaints.

BUT, I also think you just can't help whether it bothers you or not. You don't have to wallow in it, but you can't help spontaneous feelings. I was actually glad when it was over and I could just get over it.

You are so correct Kuanyin!!!! You hit the nail right on the head when you said you still work out and because of that you feel in better shape now at 50 than you did before! :clap That is the SECRET KEY......working out and staying in shape!:icon_chee

Sadly, I am not doing that anymore, and I know that is why I feel so OLD now! :icon_redf You have given me an incentative to get to walking again!:icon_lol:

Back