February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackMagicRose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I did really well in January until the very end of the month. I didn't really buy any non-giftcard makeup items aside from my Ipsy and Blush box, which I planned to keep. At the end of the month, however, I bought the half price Pop Sugar box, 3 Birchbox subs (so many points), and 2 Memeboxes. For February, I cancelled Ipsy and will most likely cancel all 3 Birchboxes (or at least 2) and Pop Sugar after this month. I am still going to keep Blush until I can convince myself I don't need it, and I will probably allow myself to buy another Memebox if I like the 2 I already bought. 

My main goal for February is to start selling my excess makeup and continue organizing/purging items I have in my house. I was able to donate 5 bags of clothes after working on organizing my closet in January. Some of the clothes were my Mom's clothes. She passed away in 2011, and it's been really hard to give up her things, but I honestly wasn't ever going to wear a lot of it, and I have plenty of her possessions that are actually meaningful. 

I also will continue to try to use up makeup/skincare items I have. I actually used up a lot of stuff in January. 
I want to cut my use of make-up, too, because it is already eating up a lot of my budget. I want to work with better make-up deals so I am collecting coupons. On the one side, I want to work with non-toxic materials so I try hard to read and find reviews of the products before I use them. I think I will find more tips in this forum. This is such a great place. 

I'll at least try a low buy this month. Also, continue selling stuff on eBay. For January, I sold a total of 35 items for a total of $560! I get less than this though, cause eBay takes 10%, then paypal ~6% i think, plus shipping expense, but it's still a lot. Right now I have $260 worth of stuff listed, which I'll keep adding to in the next few days. I just have so much already! No makeup purchases, and no body butters and shower gels! I bought so much bath and body stuff lately that I'm now swamped with them (and I started with 0 shower gels and used to completely use up my body moisturizer before buying a replacement..sigh..) I'm still very tempted with perfume purchases though. I'll ask my bf if he can get me the Prada Candy for valentine's :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (i'm also stalking dior j'adore and gucci flora on eBay and everywhere else) I have a gift card in sephora and i'm allowed to use that. But I think most importantly, spend less time thinking about my next purchases!  Oh, also, maybe BUY SOME CLOTHES! I literally rotate through 8 shirts that i regularly wear to work/school. i HATE clothes shopping though. it feels like work to me :|
If you don't mind me asking- what kind of stuff did you sell on ebay to make that kind of money?!?! I just sold some old textbooks on amazon and got close to $200....and I'm looking around my house wondering what else I could possibly sell!!! This could become my new addiction!

I was wondering if anyone happened to have any cheap shaving ideas. I just went to the store this morning for refill cartridges on my blades and it was $20.00 for 6.... Am I the only one that thinks that's pricey?!

Quote: Originally Posted by katielp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was wondering if anyone happened to have any cheap shaving ideas. I just went to the store this morning for refill cartridges on my blades and it was $20.00 for 6.... Am I the only one that thinks that's pricey?!

I haven't tried them, but I've heard nothing but awesome things about them:  http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Make sure you watch the video even if you have no interest in the subscription!  It's just entertaining.  And f**king great.  There are three different versions:  $1/month for five twin-blade cartridges; $6/month for four four-blade cartridges (this is the one they recommend for men *and* women); $9/month for four six-blade cartridges.  The first month includes the handle for free.  I plan on signing up in March since I won't need new blades until then.

(Please excuse any typos.  I just had this for lunch, and it took a little while to really kick in: 

)

If you don't mind me asking- what kind of stuff did you sell on ebay to make that kind of money?!?!

I just sold some old textbooks on amazon and got close to $200....and I'm looking around my house wondering what else I could possibly sell!!! This could become my new addiction!
Beauty stuff! makeup i never even got to open (or that came in sets and i have duplicates of or i know i'm not going to use), skincare items (after realizing that i don't go through these very fast, and that i tend to change brands all the time), bath/body (for example, some korres travel body butters), perfume samples (i have so much more of these to list, but i tend to hoard them as well and don't sell them lol), beauty samples that i compiled and sold as a lot (for example, i successfully sold a lot of Benefit samples that includes 2 travel mascaras, and a bunch of foil samples for $18)! selling on ebay is quite addicting and i do enjoy it. it's also a lot of responsibility. i didn't imagine that i'll be selling this much, but it adds up fast!

Do you coupon? I only buy them if they're on sale + a coupon. Usually there's B1G1 coupons out there for good razors (Venus, the nicer bic ones). I know it's super late but maybe your target has those holiday gift packs still on sure clearance. They ususally have a few brands that do bundle packs with a good number of razors and/or cartridges.

I haven't tried them, but I've heard nothing but awesome things about them:  http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ Make sure you watch the video even if you have no interest in the subscription!  It's just entertaining.  And f**king great.  There are three different versions:  $1/month for five twin-blade cartridges; $6/month for four four-blade cartridges (this is the one they recommend for men *and* women); $9/month for four six-blade cartridges.  The first month includes the handle for free.  I plan on signing up in March since I won't need new blades until then. (Please excuse any typos.  I just had this for lunch, and it took a little while to really kick in:  http://instagram.com/p/j4ytBNOInf/)
Oh my god. I'm dying. That video is hilarious!!! Def looking into this! Thanks for sharing Yummy lunch!

Beauty stuff! makeup i never even got to open (or that came in sets and i have duplicates of or i know i'm not going to use), skincare items (after realizing that i don't go through these very fast, and that i tend to change brands all the time), bath/body (for example, some korres travel body butters), perfume samples (i have so much more of these to list, but i tend to hoard them as well and don't sell them lol), beauty samples that i compiled and sold as a lot (for example, i successfully sold a lot of Benefit samples that includes 2 travel mascaras, and a bunch of foil samples for $18)! selling on ebay is quite addicting and i do enjoy it. it's also a lot of responsibility. i didn't imagine that i'll be selling this much, but it adds up fast!
Thanks for responding. I have similar stuff I could sell...does it seem to work better putting it on auction or giving a but it now price?

Do you coupon? I only buy them if they're on sale + a coupon. Usually there's B1G1 coupons out there for good razors (Venus, the nicer bic ones). I know it's super late but maybe your target has those holiday gift packs still on sure clearance. They ususally have a few brands that do bundle packs with a good number of razors and/or cartridges.
I somewhat coupon. But I've only ever seen coupons that are like 5$ off when you purchase razor AND blades. But I already have the razor.

Thanks for responding. I have similar stuff I could sell...does it seem to work better putting it on auction or giving a but it now price?
i list all my items as 'buy it now'. it seems to work better on this kind of stuff. i like that i know exactly how much i'm getting. as a shopper, i also prefer 'buy it now'

i list all my items as 'buy it now'. it seems to work better on this kind of stuff. i like that i know exactly how much i'm getting. as a shopper, i also prefer 'buy it now'
Thanks. Last question I swear!! Any tips to save on packaging and shipping costs?

Thanks. Last question I swear!!
Any tips to save on packaging and shipping costs?
Ship via PayPal!  Log into your account and then click here:  https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

It's cheaper than going through the post office, *and* you get free DC.  And that 13-ounce limit for dropping stuff in a mailbox without a barcode?  Does not apply to PayPal stuff since generating postage through PayPal means it *does* have a barcode.

As for packaging: http://www.uline.com/BL_1257/Uline-Self-Seal-Kraft-Bubble-Mailers

6"x10" bubble mailers, 250 for $39 plus shipping (which depends on where exactly you live since they ship via UPS, if I recall correctly.  It's about $15 shipping for me).  Compare this to Office Depot:  The same mailers cost $16 for 25, which I thought was a bargain until I discovered Uline.

Thanks. Last question I swear!!
Any tips to save on packaging and shipping costs?
no worries! i shop online a lot so i never have to buy packaging supplies. oh, actually i buy packing tape (but that's it). i cut packing envelopes in 2 or 4 (depending on the size of my items) to stretch their usage! i bought a little scale for $15 and print all my labels using eBay's shipping thing. basically, you get free tracking and save ~15% on postage. you save a few cents on postage and about a dollar on tracking. my scale's paid for itself long ago! also, no long lines at the post office. when the line is long at the post office i just drop it at the mailing box, but when it's not busy, i have it scanned for acceptance. just pm me if you have more questions. i'll be happy to help! 

Thanks @kaitlin1209! I really hope I do well this month.

I just got back from the mall where I returned about $350 worth of makeup that I had amassed from dozens of impulse hauls. (If that isn't a wakeup call to stop hauling like mad, then I don't know what is.) While it felt really good to get that money back, leaving empty-handed from all those makeup counters was honestly pretty depressing. I had even brought some Back2Mac items so that I could "soften" the blow and get a free item but none of the counters or the standalone store at the mall had the eyeshadow I wanted. So yeah, pretty bummed out but my wallet is a little bit thicker, so yay? I think I'm going to watch a cheesy movie to cheer myself up and I will definitely be blocking all makeup shopping websites on my browser until the emo feelings subside lol. 

On a more uplifting(?) note, I swatched a few Spring collections that had come out and shockingly, I was unimpressed by everything--either I had something similar already, or I didn't think the color would work on my skin tone, or it didn't seem unique enough to buy. Perhaps I am turning over a new leaf on this makeup shopping habit....

Okay, my rules for the month:

Allowed:

• *One* Glamour Doll Eyes order, preferably the Crazy in Love collection on Monday.  If not, then four more sample jars.  Whatever I get, this order should include one Hydraglaze, either the mini in the CiL collection or Crimson Nebula.  One or the other.  If I get the whole CiL set, I cannot get the separate CN.  (I do plan on getting all of the Hydraglazes because I really like the formula, but I have to pace myself, so I really hope they're up at least until the summer.)
  • *One* Geek Chic Cosmetics order.  I will wait and see what's going on with the Sherlock tin.  I would prefer to get the collection in the tin version.  If that doesn't happen by the end of the month, I can get samples of *one* collection.  (I have Timey Wimey in a full-sized set and This Isn't a Democracy in a tin set, and I've decided that my going-forward plan with this line is to get samples of whatever I can't get in a tin, which will mean everything but maybe The Game Is On at this point, and if that tin set sells out again before I can get it, well, I'll just get samples of that one, too.  My pacing will be eight samples a month, whether it's a collection or a collection plus Single Players, to hit the $10 minimum.) 
  • A replacement tube of bb cream.  I'm at the point where I will be cutting it open at some point this week, and that's my signal to get a new tube to prepare for when it's *really* empty.  I meant to get it this morning, but I ran out of time before my aunt showed up for my belated birthday lunch, and then there was *way* too much alcohol involved for me to be able to buy it afterwards.  I might get it tomorrow.  I might also decide to put it off until next weekend since I know I can get at least a week's worth of wear out of it before I get so frustrated with scraping it out that I give up and toss it.
  • If I run out of shampoo and conditioner (actually possible this month!), I can get replacements.  I'm leaning towards Living Proof this time around just because I feel like getting expensive haircare for a change.  I think this will be the first time I will be buying haircare since Suave launched Everlasting Sunshine.
  • Goodies for my Quick & Dirty Lupercalia swap (on another forum) person.  I'm still not sure what I'm getting this person, so that's a next-weekend purchase because I'll be plotting until then!
  • In two weeks (aka after next payday), I can place a BPAL order that will include one bottle (Forbidden Fruit) and one imp pack of soon-to-be-discontinued (TDB) oils plus an imp pack (also TDB) of spring/summer oils that are running low in the rollerballs (I may end up being able to get by with just one imp pack between the two.  I need to go through the list and my rollerballs to figure out what I need/want.  I definitely need more La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente for the spring!)
  • Go ahead and keep the subs
  • $25 essence trend edition budget
  • Unless I get that Living Proof shampoo and conditioner listed above, my Sephora limit is $35, aka the usual minimum for the good GWP codes, and that depends on whether there is a good point perk.  No good perks = I won't bother ordering.  Not even the fragrance bonus point event can change this since I already have over 1300 points I'm *still* waiting to use!  They just haven't offered anything I've been interested in.  Plus I'm not really big on mainstream fragrance (BPAL, baby!)

Banned:

• Shower gel (I'm *still* working through my partials after donating something like two dozen *unopened* bottles last summer.  It's really disturbing to think about how long it would have taken for me to get through that stuff if I had kept it all)
  • Eyeliner
  • Blush, except essence trend edition blush (although I don't think there will be one coming out this month)
  • Anything else, really, at least for the next two weeks

Put up on eBay:

• Five BPAL bottles a week

March is going to be very, *very* hard to keep my spending under control because I'm getting a bonus, and I'm going to want to TREAT MYSELF, but I *need* to put that money towards bills and Emerald City Comic Con.  I'm aiming for one order each from GDE and GCC, and THAT IS ALL -- until ECCC the last weekend of March.  I'm actually planning for one order each month from GDE and GCC for the rest of the year or until I have everything they offer, whichever comes first. 

(I'm also going to be going hardcore lowbuy for the next two weeks on everything else, like groceries and lightbulbs.  I might break down and get more lightbulbs before those two weeks are up, but I really need to keep a tight rein on my spending for the next couple of weeks, even on necessary items.  I think I can get by without new lightbulbs, for example, even if my makeup looks OMG CLOWN! when I apply it under the current lighting situation.  I just go to work, and they're all used to me overdoing the color already.  I definitely could not get by without toilet paper.)

ETA:  Y'know, reading that back over makes it look like I decided I can't afford lightbulbs right now.  I *can* afford them if I really want them.  I just decided a few weeks ago that I can make *one* shopping trip a week, and that was this morning, and I ran out of time before I made it to the lightbulb aisle, and I absolutely do not want to go anywhere tomorrow, which means no new lightbulbs until next weekend.  I have succeeded in turning shopping trips into chores to be cut as short as possible and avoided whenever feasible!  There's another way to stick to a low-buy!

I use disposables so I don't run into this issue especially when it's $3 off or B1G1 and stack that with a good drug store deal I can practically get them for free or at least a pretty low cost. Bic Soleils go on sale like this most often. I use disposables because it feels cheaper with the coupon game

I somewhat coupon. But I've only ever seen coupons that are like 5$ off when you purchase razor AND blades. But I already have the razor.

i've always used the cheapest disposable razors ever. like the dollar store ones where you get 5 razors for a buck or something like that. the key (for me) is to properly moisturize after shaving and i've got lots of good stuff for that (korres and bliss body butters, nuxe dry oil, etc). i also used to use the cheapest shaving cream (like the barbasol one for less than $2), but now that i got to try the schick lotionized shaving cream from bzz (LOVE!), i think i'll keep using a better shaving cream, i just can't go back to barbasol anymore! haha!

I bought 30 #000 bubble mailers on Amazon for $5 shipped! They're really small but since I only swap/sell smaller items (lippies, pencils) it works out fine. I got a food scale for $15 shipped on groupon to use for food and mail! Shipping on PayPal and printing labels at work definitely helps too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks. Last question I swear!! Any tips to save on packaging and shipping costs?

After successful January my no-buy continues to February. I think it will be much easier now - out of all spring collections nothing tempts me. I have an extensive nail polish wish list, but I also have around 100 untried polishes at home, so I'll continue to shop my stash.

The rules remain the same: I'm not allowed to buy any sort of cosmetic item, be it skincare, make-up, fragrance or nail polish (mostly). However, I'm allowed to buy 8 bottles of nail polish.

In order to further minimize make-up collection (the main reason for my no-buy), I have picked 14 cosmetic products which I want to use up completely in 2014. I should have picked them in January, but never had a time. I call it 14 for 2014 challenge.

---

@meaganola when you get your raise, remember that you have a comic con to look forward to and that you can treat youself there.

Back