February No/Low-Buy 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 30 #000 bubble mailers on Amazon for $5 shipped! They're really small but since I only swap/sell smaller items (lippies, pencils) it works out fine. I got a food scale for $15 shipped on groupon to use for food and mail! Shipping on PayPal and printing labels at work definitely helps too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Ooh thanks!! That seems like a good option for me while I'm just starting out! P.s. just sold my first item!! It's going to be hard putting this money towards savings and not used as makeup money!

Quote: Originally Posted by fleurissante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  After successful January my no-buy continues to February. I think it will be much easier now - out of all spring collections nothing tempts me. I have an extensive nail polish wish list, but I also have around 100 untried polishes at home, so I'll continue to shop my stash.

The rules remain the same: I'm not allowed to buy any sort of cosmetic item, be it skincare, make-up, fragrance or nail polish (mostly). However, I'm allowed to buy 8 bottles of nail polish.

In order to further minimize make-up collection (the main reason for my no-buy), I have picked 14 cosmetic products which I want to use up completely in 2014. I should have picked them in January, but never had a time. I call it 14 for 2014 challenge.

---

@meaganola when you get your raise, remember that you have a comic con to look forward to and that you can treat youself there.
Isn't it funny how much easier it is to not buy *anything* when the new stuff is just meh?  There are things that I had specifically planned on getting in January, and then when January rolled around, I never quite got around to it. 

I was originally going to go to a movie yesterday afternoon and then to another one today, but I decided to just stay home.  And now I'm making chili so I will have stuff for lunch and dinner this week -- and, actually, longer than that since I'm making a double batch.  My don't-wanna-do-anything has saved me money this weekend!  And it turns out that my company just signed up for an employee discount for my cellular provider, so there's another $15 a month I'm not spending there! 

And, whoa, holy shit, Philip Seymour Hoffman.  That news is knocking me completely off-kilter.  Time to get off the forum and recalibrate my mind.

When I was six years old, we got two kittens. One of them, a tuxedo female, became my best friend. Where ever I went, she went.

She died two days ago at the age of 17. It feels really strange and empty, she was with my for my entire life it seemed (I am 23 now). And I find that I am browsing for makeup again, I just want to spend money to soften the pain. And now I am in doubt if I should purchase the stila in the moment palette. Is it okay to buy something now? would it maybe cheer me up? I really have no idea.

Strange how an addiction can come back when something bad happens.

I suddenly feel like I have to grow up, or be responsible, because I don't have my little buddy to talk to and to comfort me. I didn't expect her to die right now really. She had a heart problem and would get TIA's, epilepsy and recently her lungs weren't all right. She was on heavy medication but she was doing really well the past year, she looked good, ate well and was overall cheery. She died in her sleep, so I am really happy that she probably didn't experience much if any pain. But I miss her really much, and I somehow am trying to find a way to lessen the pain. I don't think buying stuff would help, but maybe a treat for myself would distract me a little. What do you think?

Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  When I was six years old, we got two kittens. One of them, a tuxedo female, became my best friend. Where ever I went, she went.

She died two days ago at the age of 17. It feels really strange and empty, she was with my for my entire life it seemed (I am 23 now). And I find that I am browsing for makeup again, I just want to spend money to soften the pain. And now I am in doubt if I should purchase the stila in the moment palette. Is it okay to buy something now? would it maybe cheer me up? I really have no idea.

I suddenly feel like I have to grow up, or be responsible, because I don't have my little buddy to talk to and to comfort me. I didn't expect her to die right now really. She had a heart problem and would get TIA's, epilepsy and recently her lungs weren't all right. She was on heavy medication but she was doing really well the past year, she looked good, ate well and was overall cheery. She died in her sleep, so I am really happy that she probably didn't experience much if any pain. But I miss her really much, and I somehow am trying to find a way to lessen the pain. I don't think buying stuff would help, but maybe a treat for myself would distract me a little. What do you think?
I'm so sorry for your loss
icon_sad.gif
.  I had a cat that I loved who lived to be 19, and I can remember how sad I was when he died.  I can remember breaking down and crying in my office at work that first week after he died.  Something that helped me was knowing he had a long and very happy life.

I don't know whether buying something will help or not, but I do think you should treat yourself gently right now.  If getting the palette makes you feel better, then I think it's fine.  If it makes you feel guilty or that you gave into an "addiction", I'm not sure it's worth it.  While it's natural to want to distract yourself, my experience is allowing yourself to go through the grieving process is important. 

When I was six years old, we got two kittens. One of them, a tuxedo female, became my best friend. Where ever I went, she went. She died two days ago at the age of 17. It feels really strange and empty, she was with my for my entire life it seemed (I am 23 now). And I find that I am browsing for makeup again, I just want to spend money to soften the pain. And now I am in doubt if I should purchase the stila in the moment palette. Is it okay to buy something now? would it maybe cheer me up? I really have no idea. Strange how an addiction can come back when something bad happens. I suddenly feel like I have to grow up, or be responsible, because I don't have my little buddy to talk to and to comfort me. I didn't expect her to die right now really. She had a heart problem and would get TIA's, epilepsy and recently her lungs weren't all right. She was on heavy medication but she was doing really well the past year, she looked good, ate well and was overall cheery. She died in her sleep, so I am really happy that she probably didn't experience much if any pain. But I miss her really much, and I somehow am trying to find a way to lessen the pain. I don't think buying stuff would help, but maybe a treat for myself would distract me a little. What do you think?
my grandma died yesterday morning and I'm feeling depressed...so after running some necessary errands yesterday I stopped at ulta. I had a 20% off coupon, $20 gift card from xmas, and $9 worth of reward points. I bought the lorac pro to go palette which was on my wish list for a while. I ended up paying about $2 out of pocket including tax. I have been wanting a good travel paletteand I really like it and know I'll get a lot of use out of it. However, I have to say it's hasn't lessened the pain or sadness at all. Buying something new may provide a temporary distraction but don't expect it to fix how you're feeling. I am sorry to hear about your kitty, I also lost my childhood kitty last month...losing a pet can be just as bad as losing a family member sometimes! Take care :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm so sorry for your loss! *hugs*

my grandma died yesterday morning and I'm feeling depressed...so after running some necessary errands yesterday I stopped at ulta. I had a 20% off coupon, $20 gift card from xmas, and $9 worth of reward points. I bought the lorac pro to go palette which was on my wish list for a while. I ended up paying about $2 out of pocket including tax. I have been wanting a good travel paletteand I really like it and know I'll get a lot of use out of it. However, I have to say it's hasn't lessened the pain or sadness at all. Buying something new may provide a temporary distraction but don't expect it to fix how you're feeling. I am sorry to hear about your kitty, I also lost my childhood kitty last month...losing a pet can be just as bad as losing a family member sometimes! Take care :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@mrst909 My condolence, losing a family member, grandma or cat, is always hard. I think I will just put some money into a jar, so I can buy the palette later on, that way I might get the distraction, without going crazy and purchasing everything on the website.

And thank you to everyone else for their replies. It's nice to get it out.

I decided I need to go on a low-buy this month. Wedding planning has been stressing me out, causing me to shop more, when what I really need to do is save for the wedding!

My allowed list for this month:

- Perfume during sephora's 3X points event. I think I'm going to get Roses de Chloe, although I'm still debating between that and the original Chloe.

- The sephora favorites skin bender kit. I really like having smaller sizes of skincare, makes going to the gym so much more enjoyable! Plus I just retuned a full size face wash and sold a skin exfoliator- so between that I have about $35 which almost completely covers the kit

That's it! Only two items are allowed!

I have quite a bit of makeup to get through so hopefully I have make some progress by not adding more stuff to use! 

Oh, I may buy a z-palette so I can depot some eyeshadows that came in a really flimsy cardboard container. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, sweetie, hugs.  I'm going to go bug my monsters as soon as I post this and give them hugs in your kitty's memory. 

As for buying something as a pick-me-up, I am going to suggest to not do it for a reason that might not occur to you right now:  For the rest of the time you own whatever it is, you may very well associate it with this time of sadness.  When my mom passed away, a friend sent me some dvds he had burned and some Hello Kitty lipgloss (he had actually mailed it before she passed, but it didn't arrive until afterwards).  To this day, I can't even *think* about those movies without remembering Mom's passing.  Every time I buy something to make myself feel better, I associate it with the bad stuff and don't ever use it because just *looking* at it makes me sad. 

Oh no, so sorry for the losses on here. 
hugss.gif

I'm back on another low buy for February. I have a few allowed things for February: Birchbox and Ipsy. MIGHT be cancelling Ipsy after this month but I'm not sure. I just can't break up with them yet. I just bought box #7 from Memebox. I've been wanting to try asian skincare and I had $10 off which was worth it to me. I think I'm going to become a Scentsy consultant so I'll allow that & the fee to get my kit and maybe some other Scentsy goodies to stock up on retired scents & such but I can't go overboard. 

NO more makeup this month though! Unless I find the Rimmel Stay Blushed, then I'm going to snatch them all up just because they were so so so amazing and really cheap! I'm planning on going through my makeup to perhaps sell what I don't use. The same goes for my clothing, shoes and other random items. There's these local facebook virtual yard sale groups that I can try to sell my stuff on.

I just can't be spending too much because I'm quitting my job and I have a hospital bill to pay. Sigh. I JUST WANT MORE NAIL POLISH!!

I'm going to make it really simple on myself and not give too much leeway.

Things I can buy:

Food

Medicine

Therapy sessions

Regular bills/insurance/mortgage

Fund Roth IRA for 2013 and 2014 (Unless it's too late for 2013)

Gas or car necessities (oil change, inspection sticker, tire rotation)

When I feel the urge to splurge, do these:

Walk/Jog/Exercise/Dance

Declutter

Box up stuff for give-away

Sell on Ebay

Call a friend

Work on Classwork

Work on thesis

Read

DIY projects: sew reusable cotton face pads

Cook

Watch Netflix

Clean house

Organize house and car

The only thing I can possibly consider spending money on otherwise are:

Gifts for others if special occassion

New camisoles and panties for myself- cheap versions only!

Hopefully I'll be so busy I won't have time to shop or think about other frivolous 'wants'.

Note: If I'm good and don't have to spend much money on therapy sessions, medicine, or insurance this month, then I will allow myself to purchase from sephora (during the 3x points on fragrance time period) a Lavanila rollerball and travel-size deodorant.

so sorry for everyone's loss's. After trying no buy and failing no buys I am trying a new approach for Feb. I am just going to get through Feb and take it from there!. -For the month of February I cannot buy any beauty/skincare/makeup related unless I am completely out! ( honestly there really shouldnt be anything). -I can keep my sample society and birchbox -If I feel the need to want to purchase something I need to put it on my wishlist and wait -Stay OFF the enabler thread. ( too tempting bought a ton of pacfica stuff that I DIDNT need). -will re-assess in March To keep me busy I am going to challenge myself to see how many foils I can use up this month. ( I have tons!!!) Foil February! Wish me luck I need it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

My No/Low buy plans: (I'm half writing this here so I'll remember it for myself.)
This goes for ALL aspects of life.
Okay, so generally I don't want to buy much of anything, but here is what I will allow:
Home:
-I will allow myself to buy the 3 oz Butterbeer flavoured tea from Adagio when I finish at least 6 of the Harry Potter themed teas I have.
-I can buy English Breakfast ONLY when I run out of all of the English Breakfast I have. 
-I can buy Black tea with Lemon after drinking my various flavours. Lemon is actually my favourite, and I would rather just have lemon over a bunch I don't care for as much. 

-For Green Tea, I buy the Kirkland boxes with 100 bags, so I'm good with that for a while. But if I run out, I can get a new box.

-NO CANDLES! Unless I have completely burned ALL of mine! Or, if I need them for a special occasion, which I probably won't! If I do need to buy some candles, they MUST be Beeswax, because those are the best for your health.
Bath/Body:
-No lotions. I prefer body oil over lotions, and I have 3 open/partially used lotions that I need to finish up. I will not be purchasing lotion, ever. No body oils either, until these lotions are done. When they are done, I can choose between Caudalie Divine Oil and Nuxe body oil!
-No shower gels. I hate shower gel. I like bar soap. I have 2 shower gels open in my bathroom. I live with my mother as I'm still in school, and she buys soap in bulk from costco. So I won't buy soap or shower gel anymore.
-Random but no deodorant until I'm out. xD. I have 3 stick deodorant, a roll on, and two spray ons. I think I'm set in this department, haha. 
-I'm not a body scrub person. So I need to use mine up and I won't buy anymore. 
Face:
-Not buying any cleansers unless I run out of my Clearasil one. Which won't be for a while, because I also have a Boscia and Dermorganic one to go through. I will most likely re-purchase the Clearasil after using up the three.
-No face masks at all. I have 5 full sized Freeman masks, and one sample packet of each one, so that's 16 sample packets. I don't need any more.
-I need to use up all of my deluxe samples of facial moisturizers. If I find out I absolutely love one of the deluxe samples, I will let myself buy that one in full size, as long as the rest are completely used up.
-Use up my UD De-slick. I don't notice any amazing results with it, but as I have the full size already, I want to start using it more.
Makeup:
-No red lipstick! Red lipstick is my favourite, but my HG is the MUFE Rouge Artist Intense #43, Moulin Rouge, which I am almost out of. But I can't repurchase unless I finish up Ruby Woo by MAC. I have other reds, but these two on my lips look kind of similar, so I don't see the need to purchase Ruby Woo again. Also, no more pink lipstick. I have all the pink I need. 
-No eyeliner until I run out of all of mine. I have 3 stick eyeliners, and I want to get that down to just one: UD Perversion. I can repurchase my 1 liquid eyeliner when I am out of that one (Wet 'n Wild liquid eyeliner in the waterproof form.) 
-I'm pretty set on eyeshadow, do not need to buy any more. Unless it is Beauty Marked from MAC, because I've been wanting that for a long time. But I can only buy that if I use up Steamy by MAC, which is an exact dupe for one of my L'oreal Infallibles >.>
-I don't really buy blush often, and I only have four that I will try to use more. 
-Going to use up my EOS and Palmer's lip balms. My favourites are the Jack Black one and the Dr Lipp Nipple Balm, so I will buy one or the other after I use up all of my lip balms.
-Mascara: I only use 2, L'oreal Million Lashes, and L'oreal Butterfly, So I'll stick with the routine I have now.
Other Stuff: 
-No art supplies unless I find a GREAT deal on the brands I use. (Caran D'ache, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylics, Derwent Inktense + Watercolour.) These can get pricey but most last a loooong time, so only if I can find a great deal on these will I be able to buy. Aside from the Acrylics because I actually have a lot I can use. But I do need new Inktense pencils, so I need to look out for those.
-NO PERFUME!!!!! Just no! 

So that is what I will refrain from purchasing. I will be keeping my Birchbox subscriptions. I would like to try to just use points when repurchasing products when applicable. I also have the Thierry Mugler subscription that I paid for in the beginning of January to keep me excited. I'm going to England in June which is the main reason for my no/low buy: So I can have the money to splurge on myself across the pond! But I also want to control my purchasing for the rest of my life. I don't want to end up with a makeup collection like those YT beauty gurus. So yeah, that's all I can say for now!

3 days in and so far so good. I won't be tempted until I get my paycheck on Friday, but even then i have a hefty credit card balance to pay off. Plus, I'll be spending money at the bar so that cuts down on my shopping budget. I've recently made some savings goals and made a rough draft of where I want to travel in the next few years, and that's helping me view makeup purchases as frivilous and unnecessary. I'm going to try to stay off of youtube as well to help with the lemmings.

I bought 2 Physician's Formula mascaras, but there's a rebate, so I will be getting my money back. So no real loss there.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's loss today :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hang in there. Things get better with time. 

I have been mostly quiet the last few days: it's been busy around here. I keep fluctuating between really wanting things and then wanting nothing and realizing I have too much stuff. It's like i'm trying to find something to keep me amused and happy because life right now is so amazingly ....monotone... yet in the back of my mind I know I don't need anything else. I have enough color-products to last me a lifetime, or at least the next 20 years, and I absolutely do not need any more skin care or hair care. Yet I still keep looking for the new shiny thing. Does that even make sense? 

edit:

@JuliaGhostx3, hoooo man art supplies. I say, go through what you have. A few years ago I went hogwild for a bunch of faber castell polychromos pencils, derwent soft ones, and a set of 120 prismacolors. I still haven't even remotely made a dent on them...

Sounds like February is starting rough for a lot of people. Sorry to everyone that is having a hard time right now!

Back