FESS UP..... Most expensive purchase?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.  ~H.G. Wells.  Just sayin'.

With that being said, most expensive thing I've ever purchased for myself is my camera at the tune of roughly $500.00.  At the present time, and with absolutely no qualms about it because I bust my arse for my money, I am saving up to buy myself a new camera that costs double what the old one did.  Is the old one broke?  Nope.  Some self-rightous people might ask then why do I need to replace it.  The reply to that would simply be.....because I can.  I've never spent more than $100.00 on shoes or bags...but that's because I'd rather have a really good camera.  However, to each their own as to what they choose to spend their money on.  That's why it's called "their money".  After I buy the new camera....the next purchase will be a motorcycle. 

LOL I can afford to buy what I want to, cash, without going into debt for anything. I make a very good salary, thanks :) Jealousy has nothing to do with the fact that I would rather take a homeless person for a meal rather than buy a thousand $$ bag, although I knew that would be one of the many accusations that would come up. The point is, we ALL forget about what is truly important in life and spend more time self-absorbed and focused on our material possessions, what we do and don't have ourselves, rather than on how we can help others. People who are hungry and suffering are important. Handbags and shoes are NOT.  And the fact of the matter is, most of us are never faced with the sight of people who are suffering like this. On the odd occasion that we are, most of us will just keep on walking and turn our heads and eyes away. I see it happen all the time, even in Canada, and it disgusts me that even people in my own country are such disgusting, heartless, inhuman monsters. Then we turn around and moan about how society is going into the toilet, how bad the crime rate is, how horrible it is that people abuse their kids, etc etc. The fact of the matter is, we all have the power to affect that and change it for the better. But we choose not to. WE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Incidentally, a great deal of these luxury brands set up their manufacturing plants in 3rd world and developing countries to take advantage of slave labor. If they manufacture their goods in developed countries, they would be required to pay at least minimum wage and provide employees with some benefits. When they choose to manufacture overseas they choose to do so because of greed. They become part of the problem and cycle of poverty, suffering and hunger. When we buy the things they manufacture, we become part of it too.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what Angelina Jolie does, what she buys, or anything else related to her. I am, however, concerned with what I do and the industries I support, especially after seeing the reality of that with my own eye while living and working overseas.

I've done a bit of research into these so called "charities" over the years as my parents always donated to a multitude of organizations and the truth is a small portion of what you give actually gets used for whatever medical research or foster child it's just as much of a scam as that over priced bag in my honest opinion. My coach bag was 25 bucks on ebay thanks! I do have a major watch fetish spending over 500 on Bulova's and Esquires, and a slight sunglasses fetish my oakly pair were over 250 and my coach pair were 180 and I look damn fine haha. I also love jewelry and will pay up for rare stones   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I absolutely agree. The charities and other organizations like them are money-making businesses. Which is why I choose to give things/money/food directly to people rather than through those groups. I've seen the way charities operate in developing countries, the kinds of houses their directors live in, the kind of money they spend, and have been offered jobs with some of them over there. My husband and I chose to donate our time to translating documents from Indonesian to English, and vice versa, for the Borneo Orangutan Sanctuary instead. People who work for overseas charities have salaries that are obscenely high, not to mention the many perks they receive. They don't even pay for the houses they live in, decked out with swimming pools, etc. It disgusts me, quite frankly. When the tsunami happened in Indonesia, food that was donated by millions of people worldwide sat in warehouses, being eaten by rats and rotting. Money that was donated was siphoned off into government and military officials' accounts. The Indonesian military was SELLING the bottled water which was donated to the people who had everything taken from them by this disaster. And there are STILL people with no homes, years after this disaster happened. This is all despite the billions of $$ which were donated in order to help the victims of the tsunami. I ended up telling my friends to NOT send money, while they thought I was just being callous. Not at all. I was THERE, watching all of this take place. My husband, being a journalist at the time, also had first had photos, info and other connections to what was happening over there.

But there are still ways in which we can affect the world in a positive way without going through these organizations which are nothing but money-making schemes. Even just going and taking a hot cup of coffee or a burger to somebody we can see in our own neighborhoods are homeless or having a hard time, we CAN and DO affect the world around us for the better.

Originally Posted by Amber204 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've done a bit of research into these so called "charities" over the years as my parents always donated to a multitude of organizations and the truth is a small portion of what you give actually gets used for whatever medical research or foster child it's just as much of a scam as that over priced bag in my honest opinion. My coach bag was 25 bucks on ebay thanks! I do have a major watch fetish spending over 500 on Bulova's and Esquires, and a slight sunglasses fetish my oakly pair were over 250 and my coach pair were 180 and I look damn fine haha. I also love jewelry and will pay up for rare stones   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm with you Amber which is why I send an employee to Costco to buy dog and cat food in 20 pound bags and haul it to the Humane Society for me, many charities pay their CEO's hundreds of thousands of dollars and very little of that money goes to where it's needed.  Personally I see nothing wrong with doing a kind deed and buying yourself nice trinkets, I find pleasure in both and I'm sure you looking SMASHING in your Oakley's!
cool.gif

@Satojoko: People work hard to earn their money and should be able to spend it however they want. I don't understand why you didn't just skip this topic if you didn't like it. I'm not a contributor to child abuse and the rising crime rate just because I choose to buy a purse. 

Now to answer the question: the most expensive purse I bought was $75, most expensive everyday item I bought was a $50 sweater and the most expensive shoes I bought were $40. I wish I could buy cooler things, but for right now I'm a student and I'm just trying to get through my masters
icon_cheesygrin.gif

ohhh...the homeless in vancouver! they scare me! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was verbally harassed by homeless men in their 20s-50s...the aggressive ones that are all over Downtown Vancouver. In fact, I am harassed by them almost every weekend! ( my boyfriend lives in downtown). I don't understand why they can't be put to work outside of Greater Vancouver.

I would help people in need that truly need it. I have donated clothes, furniture, and shoes every 6 months to Big Brother and Salvation Army. I am hoping that the people who end up with my stuff are the ones in need and not some cheap-o fashionistas obsessed with thrift stores.

Oh, and I know China increased their wages, so it is no longer cheap to produce products in China, and labour laws there have also improved after people committing suicides after a long day at work, etc.

I'd love to buy local and support American/Canadian manufacturing, but there is always a cheaper option that is Made in China or Bangladesh or Taiwan or Philippines.

Anyway, I didn't buy anything for 5 days! 25 to go. no buy = not supporting economy. i feel like im turning into a communist.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL I can afford to buy what I want to, cash, without going into debt for anything. I make a very good salary, thanks :) Jealousy has nothing to do with the fact that I would rather take a homeless person for a meal rather than buy a thousand $$ bag, although I knew that would be one of the many accusations that would come up. The point is, we ALL forget about what is truly important in life and spend more time self-absorbed and focused on our material possessions, what we do and don't have ourselves, rather than on how we can help others. People who are hungry and suffering are important. Handbags and shoes are NOT.  And the fact of the matter is, most of us are never faced with the sight of people who are suffering like this. On the odd occasion that we are, most of us will just keep on walking and turn our heads and eyes away. I see it happen all the time, even in Canada, and it disgusts me that even people in my own country are such disgusting, heartless, inhuman monsters. Then we turn around and moan about how society is going into the toilet, how bad the crime rate is, how horrible it is that people abuse their kids, etc etc. The fact of the matter is, we all have the power to affect that and change it for the better. But we choose not to. WE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Incidentally, a great deal of these luxury brands set up their manufacturing plants in 3rd world and developing countries to take advantage of slave labor. If they manufacture their goods in developed countries, they would be required to pay at least minimum wage and provide employees with some benefits. When they choose to manufacture overseas they choose to do so because of greed. They become part of the problem and cycle of poverty, suffering and hunger. When we buy the things they manufacture, we become part of it too.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what Angelina Jolie does, what she buys, or anything else related to her. I am, however, concerned with what I do and the industries I support, especially after seeing the reality of that with my own eye while living and working overseas.

Agreed! Gotta work hard!

My parents immigrated from Russia when i was 11, they had no money, no family, we stayed in a motel for weeks! we didn't even speak the language!

Now they have amazing jobs, bought a brand-new house, live in a nice neighbourhood, payed for mine and my brother's university degrees. lol :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

They worked their butt off and now they buy whatever they like.

Now I need to work my butt off so I can spoil myself! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Satojoko: People work hard to earn their money and should be able to spend it however they want. I don't understand why you didn't just skip this topic if you didn't like it. I'm not a contributor to child abuse and the rising crime rate just because I choose to buy a purse. 

Now to answer the question: the most expensive purse I bought was $75, most expensive everyday item I bought was a $50 sweater and the most expensive shoes I bought were $40. I wish I could buy cooler things, but for right now I'm a student and I'm just trying to get through my masters
icon_cheesygrin.gif

and there is absolutely no problem with people spoiling themselves.  We work hard, we deserve it.  and for someone to assume that those of us who spend money on ourselves don't participate in helping others is just assinine.  Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.  I can't recall the countless times we've walked past someone on the corner with a can and a sign and dropped bills into it.  My parents think we're wasting our money on someone who will "most likely just go buy alcohol with what we just gave them instead of food".  If alcohol is what gets that person through their day, then by all means...take my money and spend it on that.  I don't care.  The times we've sent our unused/outgrown clothing to women's shelters.  Anytime I've replaced an applicance in my home, so long as the old appliance is still in working condition, it goes to the shelter too.  I recall the time we went into a restaurant in Niagara Falls Ontario and the entire time we were in there, we watched a gentleman standing on a corner with a sign and a can and before we left the restaurant, we ordered another dinner to go and took it to him on our way out.  Please don't take this as me tooting my horn because I'm not trying to sound like that.  I'm not the type of person to do for others and expect anything in return.  My reason for sharing this is to point out to satojoko that she shouldn't assume that nobody other than her does what she can, when she can, to help others out. 

While I'm at it, Sato...how terrible of you insinuate that people who don't give of themselves are to blame for child abuse and other social issues.  The only people to blame for child abuse are the people doing the abusing.  By saying that, you come across as if it's only financially strapped individuals who abuse their children.  My parents were well off, yet my father had absolutely no qualms about abusing me.  My father was a brutal monster, with a well filled wallet.  My husband and I aren't as well off financially as my parents were, and I don't lay an angry hand on my children.  

Unreal 

Most expensive shoes: $75 Demonia Concord boots

Purse: Umm, probably my counterfeit Prada... not sure how much it was, since it was a hand-me-down

Jeans: My Sevens, they were $42 at a designer consignment store. 

Yep, I'm fairly cheap.

I was also very badly abused as a child and STILL say that we are ALL responsible as a society for the abuse that goes on around us. My mother was one of those monsters, as was my father and many other people in my family. Those who turn a blind eye to it and feel no responsibility for this are just as guilty as the abuser, including the people who turned a blind eye when myself and my sister were being abused, and any other child that happens to.

As for my own purchases, I have been spending far too much on cosmetics as of late, which is a definite problem. I'm not going to make excuses for it or try and justify it. That is money that should and would be better spent on helping other people who don't have the luxury of buying even the cheapest of cosmetics. This initial post reminded me even more of my own responsibility and the fact that I am not doing enough, and could be. I also have gotten sloppy about checking where products are made, although I still do try. But I do not put nearly enough attention towards that as I used to. Something I personally need to change. I will be the last one to claim that I am in some way morally superior in situations like this. It is something we are all guilty of, including myself.

I didn't stay quiet about this because it is a public forum, not a private one, and it very much bothers me when I even see people walking around proudly in their Armani/Guess/whatever getups with their Prada/Guess bags and just walk on by people on the street who obviously need help. North America isn't the only place I have seen this. It happens everywhere. It seems that in most cases the better off people are financially, the less they care, in my experience. I and my husband have personally never had any street person harass us in any way, in downtown Vancouver or even in his country, which is considered by some still a 3rd world country and where people are beyond what we can even imagine as being poor. But then again, we don't just look the other way when we see them or run away like they have the plague. We stop and talk to them and ask if we can help in some way, whether it be take them to a shelter get them a burger a cup of tea whatever, so that very well might be why. If that is deemed being on my 'high horse', then so be it. I personally think it's being human and trying to fathom some of the crap that goes on around all of us on a daily basis and trying to make a difference, even if it's a very small one.

Carry on and ignore whatever I said that you find fault with if you think I'm full of crap.

I've done a bit of research into these so called "charities" over the years as my parents always donated to a multitude of organizations and the truth is a small portion of what you give actually gets used for whatever medical research or foster child it's just as much of a scam as that over priced bag in my honest opinion. My coach bag was 25 bucks on ebay thanks! I do have a major watch fetish spending over 500 on Bulova's and Esquires, and a slight sunglasses fetish my oakly pair were over 250 and my coach pair were 180 and I look damn fine haha. I also love jewelry and will pay up for rare stones  :)
I couldn't agree with this more. I hate to be jaded, but it's so true. Furthermore, it fascinates me that some (though maybe not the women and men here) who go on and on about donating to third world-based NGO's will walk right past the Salvation Army bell people at Christmas, or rush past the Sick Kids' volunteers when they're out and about trying to sign people up for donations. If you're going to witch about where my funds are going, make damn sure your hands are clean. As for the argument that higher-end brands use third world labour, that's actually not true. Many of the contemporary lines do manufacture in the PRC, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc. many of the really high-end brands such as Balenciaga (Italy), or Hermes or Chanel (France) still manufacture in Europe. That's still not to say that one can make the big bucks working in a factory, manufacturing bags, but I wouldn't be so quick to paint all the houses/lines with the same brush. As for those who took a simple question as a chance to soapbox, certainly one could've started a new thread if one wanted to inspire sympathy or pity for the homeless/impovershed citizens of developing world nations, rather than hijacking this one. Certainly, if one expects generosity, one should also display common courtesy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamella /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and there is absolutely no problem with people spoiling themselves.  We work hard, we deserve it.  and for someone to assume that those of us who spend money on ourselves don't participate in helping others is just assinine.  Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.  I can't recall the countless times we've walked past someone on the corner with a can and a sign and dropped bills into it.  My parents think we're wasting our money on someone who will "most likely just go buy alcohol with what we just gave them instead of food".  If alcohol is what gets that person through their day, then by all means...take my money and spend it on that.  I don't care.  The times we've sent our unused/outgrown clothing to women's shelters.  Anytime I've replaced an applicance in my home, so long as the old appliance is still in working condition, it goes to the shelter too.  I recall the time we went into a restaurant in Niagara Falls Ontario and the entire time we were in there, we watched a gentleman standing on a corner with a sign and a can and before we left the restaurant, we ordered another dinner to go and took it to him on our way out.  Please don't take this as me tooting my horn because I'm not trying to sound like that.  I'm not the type of person to do for others and expect anything in return.  My reason for sharing this is to point out to satojoko that she shouldn't assume that nobody other than her does what she can, when she can, to help others out. 

While I'm at it, Sato...how terrible of you insinuate that people who don't give of themselves are to blame for child abuse and other social issues.  The only people to blame for child abuse are the people doing the abusing.  By saying that, you come across as if it's only financially strapped individuals who abuse their children.  My parents were well off, yet my father had absolutely no qualms about abusing me.  My father was a brutal monster, with a well filled wallet.  My husband and I aren't as well off financially as my parents were, and I don't lay an angry hand on my children.  

Unreal 
Well said. My mother was abusive too and she wasn't poor. The only person I blame for the abuse is her, not every single person that supposedly "turned a blind eye." Life is too short to do that much finger-pointing.

You do realize that young women when walking alone are an easy target for homeless, pan-handlers, junkies, and sex offenders that easily roam around the streets of Vancouver. May I also add that many of the homeless have homes! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I saw a homeless man doing a trick, putting his cup of change in the middle of the street waiting for someone to knock it by accident, then make the person feel bad about it and asking for money. Then my friends followed him...for a few hours...and he lived in a house.

Btw, I have read your profile, and it said you are in a wheelchair? Is this true? How did it happen.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was also very badly abused as a child and STILL say that we are ALL responsible as a society for the abuse that goes on around us. My mother was one of those monsters, as was my father and many other people in my family. Those who turn a blind eye to it and feel no responsibility for this are just as guilty as the abuser, including the people who turned a blind eye when myself and my sister were being abused, and any other child that happens to.

As for my own purchases, I have been spending far too much on cosmetics as of late, which is a definite problem. I'm not going to make excuses for it or try and justify it. That is money that should and would be better spent on helping other people who don't have the luxury of buying even the cheapest of cosmetics. This initial post reminded me even more of my own responsibility and the fact that I am not doing enough, and could be. I also have gotten sloppy about checking where products are made, although I still do try. But I do not put nearly enough attention towards that as I used to. Something I personally need to change. I will be the last one to claim that I am in some way morally superior in situations like this. It is something we are all guilty of, including myself.

I didn't stay quiet about this because it is a public forum, not a private one, and it very much bothers me when I even see people walking around proudly in their Armani/Guess/whatever getups with their Prada/Guess bags and just walk on by people on the street who obviously need help. North America isn't the only place I have seen this. It happens everywhere. It seems that in most cases the better off people are financially, the less they care, in my experience. I and my husband have personally never had any street person harass us in any way, in downtown Vancouver or even in his country, which is considered by some still a 3rd world country and where people are beyond what we can even imagine as being poor. But then again, we don't just look the other way when we see them or run away like they have the plague. We stop and talk to them and ask if we can help in some way, whether it be take them to a shelter get them a burger a cup of tea whatever, so that very well might be why. If that is deemed being on my 'high horse', then so be it. I personally think it's being human and trying to fathom some of the crap that goes on around all of us on a daily basis and trying to make a difference, even if it's a very small one.

Carry on and ignore whatever I said that you find fault with if you think I'm full of crap.

iagree.gif
lol

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol I'm starting to notice a recurring theme with the majority of satojoko's posts...
soap.gif

Originally Posted by SassyAuburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My most expensive shoes are a pair of Manolos as well.... I kind of got them as a gift from my family one year, but I still own them. Sadly, I've worn them three times because I am so afraid anything will happen to them.

Most expensive purse award goes to my Newbury Woven Embossed Metallic Python Demi Bag by Michael Kors. (Oh lord I love that bag)

Probably the most expensive clothing item I have is jeans as well.  I think I paid close to $100 for my Guess jeans. When I first got them I was so disappointed thinking "What is all the fuss about?" They weren't too comfortable, the didn't fit great, like big whoop. But now?  I have had them about three years and they fit sooooo perfect, have shrunk the right way, still look almost new, and are constantly in style. 

SassyAuburn you know what's going to happen to your Manolo's if you don't wear them, they're going to go out of style sitting in your closet.  I did that with a pair of Emilio Pucci's, now they're in the back of my closet.  I used to save things for a special occasion then I realized that every day is special and I should enjoy it.  Not only will you enjoy showing off your Manolo's, your friends will love seeing them and you'll get tons of compliments.  Your family may want to buy you another pair once they see you wearing them and getting their money's worth out of them!
heart.gif

PS.......Scotch Guard your shoes, I do that with microfibers and silks.

My most expensive pair of shoes are my mui mui platform pumps in pink for $600 and my Yves Saint Laurent patent leather pumps for $900

My most expensive handbags are my Tous for $1000 and my fendi for $800 

Back