FrenchBox [Spoilers]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you all do the one year ($17/month)? Or the $14 for the 1st month and $24 each month after?  I got so burned by a crappy box in the past (cant even remember the name of it anymore...but it was sold a few times.. someone named Agnes first started it).  Since then, I decided to be hesitant about getting yearly subscriptions up-front. Who know if it's that company that is launching this one? or who is behind this company?
I signed up for the monthly subscription. I don't want to fork over $200 to a company I am not sure will be around in a year. 

Did you all do the one year ($17/month)? Or the $14 for the 1st month and $24 each month after?  I got so burned by a crappy box in the past (cant even remember the name of it anymore...but it was sold a few times.. someone named Agnes first started it).  Since then, I decided to be hesitant about getting yearly subscriptions up-front. Who know if it's that company that is launching this one? or who is behind this company?
You're probably thinking about SeasonsBox.  I bought a year's subscription too, and got burned.

You're probably thinking about SeasonsBox.  I bought a year's subscription too, and got burned.
Yes I remembered the name later.  That's it.  Such a waste of money.  It makes me look at subscriptions - like this one - very differently. Like the fact that there very little information on their website, including who is running it. 

Yes I remembered the name later.  That's it.  Such a waste of money.  It makes me look at subscriptions - like this one - very differently. Like the fact that there very little information on their website, including who is running it. 
I agree with what you are saying. This box I am way more hesitant to even pay for one month. They have no info on their site about who they are. A person could make this all up and disappear with your money.  I guess I am not a trusting person.  I usually am if I had more info. Plus since they are unknown how are they going to get companys in france to just give them products. 

I was REALLY pressured into getting a yearly Seasons box subscription, but did not do so. I stayed month to month. After what happened with them  and a few others, I will always be month to month unless there is no option for month to month AND I know without a doubt that the company is reliable and stable, and has great curation. 

I also remember some really serious problems with the USA Luxe box a couple of years ago, and I don't think they ever recovered in the US market. They still send me " sign up" deals- I send them to the junk email. Once burned, twice shy.

ETA: I did sign up for one month with French box. We shall see... 

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of info are people wanting that's not available for a new sub? Did people know what Birchbox was at first?  I used to buy most of the brands the French Box co. has listed as partners in their boxes when I shopped in Paris every spring for years.. 
This company lists a DBA in Miami Beach, FL, with a phone number, and is also actively advertising for French brands to add to their boxes.
Neither of these activities look suspicious to me. What am I missing for a brand new sub? There's no magazine tie in like Allure Box, which we are now learning really wasn't much of a tie in at all for 2+ years but is now, but other than that, what is " shady" or " iffy" about them?

I am asking sincerely because I don't know and want to learn. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

What kind of info are people wanting that's not available for a new sub? Did people know what Birchbox was at first?  I used to buy most of the brands the French Box co. has listed as partners in their boxes when I shopped in Paris every spring for years.. 

This company lists a DBA in Miami Beach, FL, with a phone number, and is also actively advertising for French brands to add to their boxes.

Neither of these activities look suspicious to me. What am I missing for a brand new sub? There's no magazine tie in like Allure Box, which we are now learning really wasn't much of a tie in at all for 2+ years but is now, but other than that, what is " shady" or " iffy" about them?

I am asking sincerely because I don't know and want to learn. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
 The founders of birchbox were written up all over the place.  They had backing and they were written up in places like the NY times and other places.   This sub appeared out of no where and can disappear the same way.   No one knows who is behind this sub or if this sub will be what it claims to be.  Someone posted a link that showed they were looking for items for the box.  Birchbox doesn't have to do that.  This is not in any league with birchbox.  They can be like the bondi sub and take your money and walk away.   It happens all  the time.

I think the first box will be great the question is if they can actually get French companies to give them products. The first box or few boxes are usually great when boxes start.   The question is can they make it 6 months from now.   If they are advertising as much as they are in French news papers it would be a possibility they do not have products to fill their boxes in the future.    

birchbox has  800.000   subscribers. took them  4 years to get that many .Harvard Business School grads Katia Beauchamp and Hayley Barna founded it and made it known they were behind this company. from day one.  I think popsugar is also a very successful box don't know the amt of people who get that box though.

The founders of birchbox were written up all over the place.  They had backing and they were written up in places like the NY times and other places.   This sub appeared out of no where and can disappear the same way.   No one knows who is behind this sub or if this sub will be what it claims to be.  Someone posted a link that showed they were looking for items for the box.  Birchbox doesn't have to do that.  This is not in any league with birchbox.  They can be like the bondi sub and take your money and walk away.   It happens all  the time.
Has anyone with access to Lexis Nexis done any checking on the LLC listed as French Box's owners? I no longer have access, but it might be an easy way to verify when the company was established, who the officers are, etc. 

I remember when " The Glam Bag" had some celeb. write ups too, and they were a hot mess anyway. There have been several boxes with celeb. names attached which are " not great" at all, so I'm not sure how much a name means. The business reputation of the business partners matters if one cares that much about $14 or so, or wants to verify facts.

I don't think subscription boxes offer boxes 3 months or so out like Bondi did with their nail polishes, so I don't see the similarity, unless someone subbed to a long term commitment. IF anyone has purchased a long term subscription, then, well, to me, that's unwise and unlikely to happen with people like us who have seen bad things happen to good subscriptions in the past. And I think MuT subscribers are probably the largest subscription box aggregate in the USA, at least. 

I think the first box will be great the question is if they can actually get French companies to give them products. The first box or few boxes are usually great when boxes start.   The question is can they make it 6 months from now.   If they are advertising as much as they are in French news papers it would be a possibility they do not have products to fill their boxes in the future.    

birchbox has  800.000   subscribers. took them  4 years to get that many .Harvard Business School grads Katia Beauchamp and Hayley Barna founded it and made it known they were behind this company. from day one.  I think popsugar is also a very successful box don't know the amt of people who get that box though.
Pop Sugar Must Have Box has a more impressive " pedigree" and backing than Birchbox did or does. IDK how the numbers measure up. I see them as being vastly different because Birchbox is the least expensive USA sub box of curated items available as far as I know, and Pop Sugar is curated very differently and oriented to perhaps a different demographic. If I was a college student, I'd buy Birchbox and maybe one other, max.

Since I am in a different demographic, I like larger sized boxes and products which are prestige brand names. It is hard to find sub boxes that can combine the great brands with good sizes for obvious reasons. Net A Porter is about the only one I can think of which does this effectively, and the price reflects the differences. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What breed is the puppy in your avatar? My Maltese boys looked a bit like that after their first major grooming- they looked like Tribbles going in, LOL.

Just subscribed for a second box.  It looks to me like they have put a lot of work into their facebook page, which suggests that their hearts are in this.  My subscription numbers are #277 and #672.  This is the fun period where I get to dream about what I could receive. 

I found it interesting that their facebook page does not mention curation or beauty tips or specific products.  It lists stereotypical french quotes and fashion pictures, which remind you that the box is FRENCH.  This suggests to me that, rather than being a fashion, lifestyle or beauty box like most of the others claim, the box may simply be a niche way of distributing french products, which also works for me.

Since the partner names they have listed are Parisian cosmetic firms, I'd tend to think it's going to be a cosmetic/ skin care oriented subscription... However, there's so much in France that I love, I'd be fine with almost anything imported from France..Some things which are quite desirable need to travel differently than cosmetics do, though..

Back