GlossyBox-Gate Scandal???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had some suspect charges on my debit card (probably a bad idea to use a debit card online). I had my previous card stolen last year and got a new card with a fraud protection program in place. For this new card I have only used it once online ever- and that was glossybox. My banks fraud protection department told me to contact glossybox, and they got back to yesterday to call them.

Today I was told that they were looking into these transactions and that they will be sending out an email by the end of the week to all glossybox subscribers addressing a possible breach. That would  be a good start - I think this way more people having similar issues will contact glossybox to continue investigating this (they believe only a small amount of people were affected - I'm sure theres a lot more). If I find there was a breech I'm going to get another debit card.

I know some of you ladies received calls from GlossyBox yesterday or today to discuss the credit card fraud issues.  I spoke with Nicole this morning and she was very nice.  I told her what happened with my card number being stolen and she said they are in the process of investigating the problem.  I mentioned the MUT forums and she confirmed that they have been reading our posts, so our concerns are being heard!

Although I'm very glad to know GB is looking into this, she did say something that confused me.  She said they were looking into the problem with their credit card processing vendor and at least as of now, the vendor is saying they did NOT have a breach.  I guess that's possible, but if that's the case, clearly the data was stolen somewhere else along the line.  To me, there's no question AT ALL that the breach is somehow connected to the transaction stream created by GlossyBox, whether that was by their payment vendor or somewhere else.  That almost makes me more wary if the vendor either doesn't know about the breach or if it really didn't originate with them.  Where else could the data be stolen from?  I guess we'll have to wait and see what GB and their vendor discover. 

At any rate, we should be getting some kind of communication from them sometime soon.  I too hope this is resolved because right now I'm not comfortable subscribing if they can't figure out where the leak is.

Originally Posted by BuffaloBeautyQT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know some of you ladies received calls from GlossyBox yesterday or today to discuss the credit card fraud issues.  I spoke with Nicole this morning and she was very nice.  I told her what happened with my card number being stolen and she said they are in the process of investigating the problem.  I mentioned the MUT forums and she confirmed that they have been reading our posts, so our concerns are being heard!

Although I'm very glad to know GB is looking into this, she did say something that confused me.  She said they were looking into the problem with their credit card processing vendor and at least as of now, the vendor is saying they did NOT have a breach.  I guess that's possible, but if that's the case, clearly the data was stolen somewhere else along the line.  To me, there's no question AT ALL that the breach is somehow connected to the transaction stream created by GlossyBox, whether that was by their payment vendor or somewhere else.  That almost makes me more wary if the vendor either doesn't know about the breach or if it really didn't originate with them.  Where else could the data be stolen from?  I guess we'll have to wait and see what GB and their vendor discover. 

At any rate, we should be getting some kind of communication from them sometime soon.  I too hope this is resolved because right now I'm not comfortable subscribing if they can't figure out where the leak is.
If it's not their website and not the vendor then it could be a corrupt employee I guess. Either way they are looking into it and that makes me happy. I'm still switching to prepaid though!

So I just got this email:

We would like to follow up on the credit card issue that affected you recently. We have taken this matter very seriously and the GLOSSYBOX team and our payment service provider have gone through all the necessary scans and checks to make sure that both systems are 100 % secure and that there has been no security breach.

Our site is PCI certified, uses SSL security, and we do not save credit card information. Your data is safe under GLOSSYBOX's secure system as well as our payment service provider's. We want to assure you that the breach regarding your credit card did not occur through GLOSSYBOX or our payment service provider.  Because we value you as a customer, we suggest you take security precautions by verifying the presence of malicious software (e.g. Viruses, spyware and phishing software) that could be directly installed on your computer. 

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. If you have any additional questions about this process, please contact Customer Service at (855) 738-1140. 

Sincerely,

The GLOSSYBOX Team

gruebel.gif
Okay, So now what?......in my case all my anti virus is good and glossybox is the only online use of my card....

Yeah, sorry Glossybox, but not buying it. If several girls, who just so happen to be Glossybox subscribers, have the same thing happen at the same time, while more than one use the account for nothing but Glossybox...there aren't really any other answers. It's just too much to be coincidence.

Yeah, this is really disappointing.  Clearly there's a problem somewhere along the line and they have no idea where it is.  So they're just gonna pretend like everything is okay.

I am going to stay far, far away from GB for now.  I only hope the credit card theft isn't a regular thing and that we don't see a whole new batch of complaints and posts here at MUT next month when GB charges.  What an incredible freaking disappointment.

Originally Posted by LadyEarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I just got this email:

We would like to follow up on the credit card issue that affected you recently. We have taken this matter very seriously and the GLOSSYBOX team and our payment service provider have gone through all the necessary scans and checks to make sure that both systems are 100 % secure and that there has been no security breach.

Our site is PCI certified, uses SSL security, and we do not save credit card information. Your data is safe under GLOSSYBOX's secure system as well as our payment service provider's. We want to assure you that the breach regarding your credit card did not occur through GLOSSYBOX or our payment service provider.  Because we value you as a customer, we suggest you take security precautions by verifying the presence of malicious software (e.g. Viruses, spyware and phishing software) that could be directly installed on your computer. 

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. If you have any additional questions about this process, please contact Customer Service at (855) 738-1140

Sincerely,

The GLOSSYBOX Team

gruebel.gif
Okay, So now what?......in my case all my anti virus is good and glossybox is the only online use of my card....

I think this needs to be pursued. The " CS Employee" is obviously saying that you are some kind of incompetent who can't manage their AV software, and who downloads infected files.

It's Glossybox's fault. IF people are out any money for a GB this month, then the proper authorities in the state where GB is registered ( New York) need to be notified.

Theft of CC numbers is a federal crime, isn't it?

Glossybox should have an independent security firm looking into this and going over every part of their billing.. AND every employee should have a criminal background check done.

I'm not one of the ripped off, because I used a pre-paid Debit Card for my 2 boxes. Suffice it to say I won't be getting 2 boxes from them in the future, no matter what they pack in them.

This is really a demeaning, condescending email. It really is upsetting!

It's also weird. What a totally bizarre response.

Originally Posted by LauraBrooks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think this needs to be pursued. The " CS Employee" is obviously saying that you are some kind of incompetent who can't manage their AV software, and who downloads infected files.

It's Glossybox's fault. IF people are out any money for a GB this month, then the proper authorities in the state where GB is registered ( New York) need to be notified.

Theft of CC numbers is a federal crime, isn't it?

Glossybox should have an independent security firm looking into this and going over every part of their billing.. AND every employee should have a criminal background check done.

I'm not one of the ripped off, because I used a pre-paid Debit Card for my 2 boxes. Suffice it to say I won't be getting 2 boxes from them in the future, no matter what they pack in them.

This is really a demeaning, condescending email. It really is upsetting!

Originally Posted by BuffaloBeautyQT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, this is really disappointing.  Clearly there's a problem somewhere along the line and they have no idea where it is.  So they're just gonna pretend like everything is okay.

I am going to stay far, far away from GB for now.  I only hope the credit card theft isn't a regular thing and that we don't see a whole new batch of complaints and posts here at MUT next month when GB charges.  What an incredible freaking disappointment.
I am so with ya BB, this is NOT how a company of this stature should be running. Something is super shady here for sure. I will hopefully get my first box, then after that, I will be DONE. I will check back in a few months, and decide whether to join back up. But something is clearly wrong with this picture. People keep saying "this is a new company" yada yada, BUT GB is HUGE, there should be concrete business placement already, expansion or not. Im not buyin into the BS anymore. Good luck ladies! Hopefully we get our boxes soon. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am super torn right now.........I just got my tracking number for this months box and is super excited but on the other hand..........
plain.gif

I want to give GB the benefit of the doubt but after talking to CS for GB I read through all the posting for the June Glossybox thread and this thread and the charges I got are beyond similar to others especially the Sony charges. I do have a good anti fraud protecting on my card but now I'm debating on getting a new card just in case. Its strange that a card I had for about a year I use for the first time ever online (GB) and then a month later mystery charges appear...

One of the IT guys at work had pointed out to me that all the checks their processor did could come back fine now but during the glitches when a bazillion people had tried to sign up it is possible to hack a site easily during such a disruption in service or a more simpler answer - someone at the processor for the cards took the numbers manually.

Oh and by the way I ordered GB at work so our anitvirus is beyond fine/good/expensive as hell. I'm not sure if I should reply back or just let it go and get a new card........?

I really, really, really like the glossybox service.............but.........

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm torn now, too...I really like my box...but at the same time, I'm super leery of all the issues...hmm.
Keep the box and get a prepaid card for the future. You don't want to be watching next month when all the boxes go out drooling! Prepaid is minimal risk. GB Customer Service (both of them) seem to be stepping up and things seem to be getting better.

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm torn now, too...I really like my box...but at the same time, I'm super leery of all the issues...hmm.
Keep the box and get a prepaid card for the future. You don't want to be watching next month when all the boxes go out drooling! Prepaid is minimal risk. GB Customer Service (both of them) seem to be stepping up and things seem to be getting better.

I actually already have one of the Walmart ones...I just need to remember to keep it loaded before billing dates, sigh.

nvm, I found it. Bye bye GlossyBox. I will keep an eye out for next month's box. I wonder if it will be easy to resubscribe when I feel like it again.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually already have one of the Walmart ones...I just need to remember to keep it loaded before billing dates, sigh.
 How do the Walmart ones work?

Originally Posted by iugirl13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do the Walmart ones work?

You can reload them at the money services counter at Walmart with cash, check, other debit/credit card, or by buying those GreenDot cards. I chose this one because it's most convenient for me, as there are Walmarts everywhere. You can also get paychecks and tax checks direct deposited to them. You can use them just like any other debit card. Here's the "learn more" page:  https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart/about-our-products

I got it a while back for a couple of online purchases, it's handy to have.

Now here's the downside to pre-paid debit cards and that's if the money is stolen, depending on the company, most times it's not subject to them investigating and refunded the money as a Paypal debit card or even bank debit card is; so keep that mind. If you are to do a pre-paid/loaded card then go through a company like Money Tree because theirs is protected and the load fee is not too bad. I'm getting one next week because I'm tired of my bank doing crappy things to me like returning a check to me from the local newspaper (they - bank - cancelled the endorsement... no idea what that means and neither does the newspaper which meant I was out almost $400 for over two weeks).

Aww...that's no good! I switched to a credit union a long time ago, because I was tired of the big banks and their pooey business attitudes! Hope it all works out!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now here's the downside to pre-paid debit cards and that's if the money is stolen, depending on the company, most times it's not subject to them investigating and refunded the money as a Paypal debit card or even bank debit card is; so keep that mind. If you are to do a pre-paid/loaded card then go through a company like Money Tree because theirs is protected and the load fee is not too bad. I'm getting one next week because I'm tired of my bank doing crappy things to me like returning a check to me from the local newspaper (they - bank - cancelled the endorsement... no idea what that means and neither does the newspaper which meant I was out almost $400 for over two weeks).

Back