Glossybox May 2015 *Spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my box today and love it so much I am tempted to get a second one. I got the glamglow, clearista (so excited to try this), Sebastian hairspray, doucce 907 lipstick, and drum roll please... Head Over Heels nail laquer mirage shade: Smoking Gun. It is gold glitter! Love it, and it will match my phone case. Yay. 

Forgive my epic saga here, but I need to tell this story. I'm beyond frustrated and I just need sympathy, or a new perspective on this, or something, from people with sub box experience who share my unholy love of beauty products  :blush2:

I have been on a recurring automatic monthly subscription since October 2014. My April box was still in "pack" mode until May 2nd. Then it went to "ship" mode, and when I clicked on the tracking number, it had a "delivery confirmation" for THAT DAY. 

BUT. 

It had been successfully "delivered" to their warehouse in Hebron, KY. I could see that it had originally been shipped out on April 14, then spent a few days hanging around in my city before getting sent back to the warehouse. I checked my email, my spam and trash folders, but there was no shipping email. I contacted CS, who asked me to double check the address they had on file. Ay, there's the rub. They had the correct town, state, and zip, but they had taken my apartment number, made it the street number, and then took the street number, and made it the street name.  :huh:   So apparently I lived at "6 62nd Street,"  a street that doesn't exist in my city. 

I went into my account, saw my address as listed there was indeed the correct one, and I went back into the shipping emails I had received in previous months to see that they had, in fact, always used the correct address, so I frankly I was baffled why suddenly there was this screwy address "on file." I contacted CS again, gave them a screen shot to evidence they had the correct address the previous month. They responded with some fooleywang about a "database glitch" and claimed they would re-send my box once it had "been processed" through their warehouse. They assured me I would received a shipping notification with a different tracking # this time. 

On May 12, still with no shipping notice (and the tracking number listed on my account dashboard still had the "delivery confirmed" to Hebron KY message), the box randomly shows up, with the old screwy address label still on it, but with the correct street address hand-written in. Yep. In a different color ink, presumably from the post office, appeared two question marks: ??

But wait, there's more. As it arrived, the Marrakesh product had a small hole in the seal (the opposite end of the cap). A tiny amount of product had leaked out, but fortunately only onto the paper shreds in the box. Not a huge deal, but by then I was exasperated. So I once again contacted CS, including a photo, expressing my disappointment. They wrote back with an apology, but assured me that "based on [my] photo, the product was still usuable." They claimed they had run out of the Marrakesh and could not send a replacement. Now, I don't complain with the expectation of getting something for free. But with all the screw-ups with this box, I kinda wanted them to do something. I had seen comments on instagram and FB that folks whose April boxes were delayed due to the Estee Lauder back-order were getting 200 dots as a courtesy in response from CS. But for me, they did not offer a replacement item, a credit, glossydots, or anything other than that half-assed "we're sorry, but..." (FYI: I also received the box of leftovers instead of the awesome February box as part of that month's debacle though I was a regular, monthly subscriber, and didn't really think that CS handled that so well either. But anyway.) I responded to CS, expressing my disappointment with the service over the last few months, and that based on the service I had received I was unlikely to recommend this subscription to friends and "would likely cancel in the near future." For reference, these were all private messages. 

About that "near future:" I knew it was too late to cancel May, and I'm 40 GlossyDots away from a free box. So figured I'd get through May, get the review dots and redeem the free box in June. (As of May 14th, my May box was still in "pack" mode.) On May 14th, CS sent me a response to my message of disappointment that was borderline defensive: "We're sorry you've been disappointed....these products have been loved by our subscribers" and then wrote that "per my request" that they had cancelled my account effective immediately and would refund the $21 charged for my May box. The refund appeared on my statement today. 

Sigh. I wasn't super excited by the products in the May box, and after all the problems with April, I guess I'm kinda relieved, but I'm a little put-off by the presumptive action of CS (I did not request to cancel my May box, just intimated that I "would likely cancel in the near future"), their inconsistencies with addressing similar customer issues, and their dismissive attitude towards the problems with my subscription (problems, like the address issue, that THEY created).  Also I'm a little sad that I won't get to use my GlossyDots. 

I am not trying to color anyone's opinion of this company. These are my experiences, and I don't suggest that they are universal or representative. I just need to get this off my chest, and my husband doesn't get my disappointment with the GlossyDots thing - he thinks it's just best to be done with them. And I know there's something to that, but I'm still a little sad about it all. For those of you who've had great experiences with GlossyBox - I am jealous of you!! I don't get it. I thought my communications to CS were clear and reasonable. Perhaps I should have called them out in the public social media forum, but that's just never been my style - nor have I ever needed to. I've never had such problems with any subscription service or company. But I've also never before encountered a legitimate subscription company like GlossyBox, where my customer service issues were approached with the professionalism, consistency, and helpfulness of a 17 year old eBay seller circa 1998. 

Thank you for listening to (reading) my rant. Just writing it actually provided release from the build-up of stress created the past few days. 

@@Jay.Aitch.Gee

I completely understand. While not to the same level of extreme, my fiasco with the ending of the 3 month sub, a cs email that received a snotty response when one of my boxes was exceptionally late left the same sort of "I must not be important enough to warrant respect as a customer" taste in my mouth.
The only reason I resubbed was because my husband's family bought me a 6 month sub as a graduation gift.

It's like they know they cater to the 1%, and my income is not $120K, nor am I listed in local 'who's who', so they fell like they can treat me like crap and my piddly $21 month isn't worth their time. :/

You are justified in your exasperation.  I would feel the same.  There is no excuse and at this point they AT LEAST owe you the dots to get your free box.  I think their FB page is your friend at this point. Post the facts as much as possible eliminating the emotion (I know that's hard!).  You may want to wait until Monday when you have cooled a bit and there are more likely more GB employees watching their FB page (hopefully someone in management).  I think it's a case of getting the attention of the right person.  They will probably want you to contact them privately so keep all of this screwed up communication from them so that you can forward to them everything.  Paper trails are magic.  Good luck.  :bringiton:

I am sorry you are having so much trouble. I would wait a couple of months, till you see a box you really want with a good coupon, resubscribe for that month, get the next month free and then cancel. I only subscribe when I find a good deal and then cancel each month. I totally understand about the glossydots. I would want to use them too. That is crazy that they cancelled you. It was like they did it because they were tired of dealing with you instead of fixing the problem. 

I have a question about re-subbing to GlossyBox.  My sub ended after the February box (fiasco) so I didn't renew.  Then I saw the great deal on Rue LaLa and bought a certificate for six months.  I will be either start the sub in June or by the latest July 1 (which is the expiration date).  When I re-sub, I will end up with my 1,000 Glossy Dots.  How do I get my free box but not a duplicate box?  I know you must be subscribed to use your dots to get the free box, but I just don't understand how to avoid getting a duplicate (especially since you'd have to cancel mid month in order not to get charged again.  And I wouldn't want the 'leftovers' box at the end of the month, either.)  Actually, I know how to make it so I don't get charged again even if I cancel late so maybe that is the answer.

I have been watching the boxes the past few months and am glad to see that it seems as though they stopped giving differing boxes of greatly varying values.  That's what ticked me off enough to cancel.  

Thanks!

Sigh. I wasn't super excited by the products in the May box, and after all the problems with April, I guess I'm kinda relieved, but I'm a little put-off by the presumptive action of CS (I did not request to cancel my May box, just intimated that I "would likely cancel in the near future"), their inconsistencies with addressing similar customer issues, and their dismissive attitude towards the problems with my subscription (problems, like the address issue, that THEY created).  Also I'm a little sad that I won't get to use my GlossyDots.  
Based on everything I have read, Glossybox definitely has some shipping issues.  I love their box so I Hope I do not end up complaining about it myself later. 

I do think you have a legitimate complaint about the way your account was cancelled and the broken/leaking product. I suggest emailing again. I 100% agree with @@girlnamedpete, keep emotion out when you respond. I do not know how much experience you have had with CS but many of these places use temp services. The reps do not all have the same information/training as far as what they can and can not give (glossydots) to customers and in what circumstances they can give them. It is not uncommon to get a different response from two different reps in the same office. 

If you are unhappy with the first result, it is always a good idea to contact them again. Never reply to the rep. Always contact CS via the website, so you might get a different rep. Give them the exact same information you gave the first time. Tell them that you contacted CS and the response you got.  Ask if it is policy not to offer X (in this case glossydots) when what happened to you happened. Ask why you are  not eligible for X? Always finish with how much you love the product and do not want your interaction with CS to be the reason you have a negative impression of the Sub.  

In this case, you will have to tell the original problems (I would start with Feb box issues even if you did not contact them about it. Then the address issue), CS rep's response, your response to CS rep, CS rep's response/action. Only 2 sentences per each. Add dates if possible and put them in chronological order. Tell them you were a bit frustrated and emotional when you responded that you would likely cancel in the future, because you did not feel like a valued customer in that moment.  You in no way asked the CS rep to cancel your account for you. Ask what you can do now? Can they restore your account with the glossydots you had already accumulated? Since their response was so extreme, I can not imagine they would not try to make it right. 

Let them know you are attaching all of the emails if they would like to read them.

Facebook is not a bad idea.  I would try that after giving the regular CS process one more chance. If you do have to go the facebook route, I would not post any details just you had some issues with a broken product and your account, you tried contacting Customer service without any resolution, could someone please contact you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked my box this month, it's the first box in a long time where I will use all the products. I got the clear top coat, but I do have another box coming so I'm hoping for the gold glitter.

I JUST got my box yesterday, loooong wait this month it felt like.  Anyway, I LOVE the Doucce lipstick color I got, #907-it's like a perfect nude but better color on me, however it is so hard to put on, drags across my lips, so dry BUT it stays on forever and doesn't feel drying on your lips. It feels like I imagine a crayon would feel like dragging across your lips.  :wacko:   I forgive it though cuz it's pretty good!  I have probably 150+ lipsticks of all price levels and this is one of the few that stayed on through breakfast and coffee.  The rest of the box felt kinda meh, I think I'm sampled out-time to drop one of the 14 boxes, lol! 

I am wondering how much of a role location plays in when your box ships out. Does anyone in the Southeast or west coast get their box in the first week  or so of deliveries ?  

I usually get mine pretty quick. One time I had cancelled and resubscribed and I got another box almost instantly. I couldn't believe how fast it shipped. I'm on the west coast.

So I wanted to give an update on my Glossybox Saga.

It's been a week of a correspondence so voluminous it gives Saint Paul a run for his money.

On Monday, I wrote a new, start-from-the-beginning-just-the-facts message to both CS and sent it as a PM on FB. As my irony field would have it, the same idiot rep I had been dealing with before,  ~Jackie~  responds in an A+ display of passive-aggressiveness, all "we're sorry *you* were unhappy with Glossybox, we have many customers who are happy with their subscriptions, sorry *you* exist purely in a personified form of PMS" (ok, they didn't say that last bit, but the whole message intimated that I was the one with a problem.) So, I resent the message again to the generic CS email. The FB response was more genuinely apologetic that my sub had been preemptively cancelled and offered to re-activate my subscription. A new CS rep responded to my email, and offered to send a replacement item for the leaky Marrakesh, and also asked if I wanted to re-activate my subscription. I said yes to the replacement item. 

I really didn't know if I wanted to re-activate it. I liked many of the items I received, but I've had so many issues with their service over the last six months that I just don't want to spend any more of my money with them, you know? All I really wanted to do was cash in my GlossyDots for a free box, and I was only 40 dots away when they witch-cancelled me. So, I replied to both CS and FB with that (except about the witch-cancelled part. I was Data-level devoid-of-emotions in these messages.) Regular CS response was "Only current subscribers have access to GlossyDots. Do you want to resubscribe?" The FB rep, who may be an actual unicorn, responded that in light of "the issues I've had and the way some of them have been handled" to award me 100 GlossyDots. 

g1387830691913458445.jpg

So by logging in to my account I could see that I had 1060 dots...but I still couldn't use them since I wasn't a current subscriber. A quick message to the FB unicorn took care of that, and without having to re-sub, I will receive a box in exchange for the dots. I have no idea if that will be a June box or a May "Classic" box. I'd prefer June over a bunch of leftover items from previous months, but I'm not going to press it.

Thank you guys for your sympathy and advice - @@artemiss, @@girlnamedpete, @@linda37027, and  @ .  I probably wouldn't have pursued doing anything about this without your support - and Kdramas, thank you soooo much for the detailed plan of action and crash course in handling CS.  :flowers:

Oh, and I did follow up with regular CS about my "replacement item." They said it would be "equivalent in value" and that they would provide a tracking # for it as "soon as it is shipped" but that was Thursday, and now it's Sunday in a Holiday weekend, so I don't have high hopes. 

Should've had the unicorn take care of that too!

(Edited for punctuation. Also, does a certain B-word get auto-corrected to a W-word? I'm curious.)

@@Jay.Aitch.Gee - good for you! Must have taken a chunk of patience to keep pushing. Kind of looks like Glossybox has been juggling too many different boxes .... They listed a Oprah box....and it had nothing but repeats, one of the classic boxes? In fact it had the Marrakesh Endz in it, in the review I looked at. Are they also the one's that have a special box coordination coming out on QVC with QVC fav's, or is that Popsugar?

*Edit - Popsugar has the QVC box*

I just signed up with the 6 month 20% code, interested to see what I get this month. Since it's a new sub, will it have the glamglow and clearista?

Back