Glossybox September, 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I go to a new hair stylist, about 2/3 of the way through my hair cut, I get "wow, you have a lot of hair." So, no, I am not excited about this product at all. 
Me too. :-/ I consider this a bit of a specialty item.

I'm so excited for a thickening/voliumizing product! I feel like subs often overload us with serums and oils meant for smoothing or straightening. This makes me happy I'm back with Glossybox!

Every time I go to a new hair stylist, about 2/3 of the way through my hair cut, I get "wow, you have a lot of hair." So, no, I am not excited about this product at all. 
I had one take it upon herself to thin my hair out at the back without asking or telling me until she was done. Uh, yeah, it's thick and heavy, but you just put layers somewhere I distinctly did not want layers. I need a big girl hair stylist, not someone at a grungy (in the established-in-the-early-'90s-in-Seattle sense) unisex barbershop.

Quote: Originally Posted by emmzk25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We haven't even got the box yet...why is everyone complaining already

There are some people who aren't thrilled by the idea that one of the items everyone is getting in the box (that is nearly half of the "value" of the box at that) is an item that is only useful to people with certain hair types.  When you alienate a portion of your audience, they have a right to grumble.

This is especially true when the company has information on each customer that they can use to attempt to customize the contents to mesh with their attributes. 

Quote: Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are some people who aren't thrilled by the idea that one of the items everyone is getting in the box (that is nearly half of the "value" of the box at that) is an item that is only useful to people with certain hair types.  When you alienate a portion of your audience, they have a right to grumble.

This is especially true when the company has information on each customer that they can use to attempt to customize the contents to mesh with their attributes. 

They really could make every box more unique, not that the products are bad but so that they are more useful to everyone.

Quote: Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just got this in an email!

While I do love the idea of thicker, fuller hair, I'm not sure how I feel about Glossybox sending us a product by a company known for remedying hair loss. Eep.  

Edit:  Ok, after reading some comments from frequent MUTers about the brand and the product, I'll hold my opinion on this one until I actually try it.  Can't wait to see what other spoilers may come!

Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have fine hair, and I'd love to try that.. but I WILL NOT RE-SUB. Not until I see the whole box, anyway..

@ewiggy, I'm sure you'll find this item on a trade list!   
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ewiggy, I'm sure you'll find this item on a trade list!   
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Sure seems like it!  I have been doing a great job at loving things that everyone hates, lol!

I'm personally excited about it, my hair has been thinning quite noticeably for months now so it will be nice to try this as it's not something I'd buy myself. Almost makes me wish I hadn't cancelled my second sub with them. Almost.

Y

There are some people who aren't thrilled by the idea that one of the items everyone is getting in the box (that is nearly half of the "value" of the box at that) is an item that is only useful to people with certain hair types.  When you alienate a portion of your audience, they have a right to grumble. This is especially true when the company has information on each customer that they can use to attempt to customize the contents to mesh with their attributes. 
yea, but the thing is you generally don't know what youre getting anyhow before you buy the box. I don't always like everything in the box, sometimes I don't like any of it. There are supposedly three other full sized items in this box.

Not the most exciting reveal, but it's a good value product they're giving us. It's going to end up on my trade list, but I'm not bothered by the fact. I typically don't love or even like everything in any of my subs anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Not the most exciting reveal, but it's a good value product they're giving us. It's going to end up on my trade list, but I'm not bothered by the fact. I typically don't love or even like everything in any of my subs anyway.

But the problem with beauty products is that the value is so completely arbitruary. Price is not an indicator of quality, especially for hair products. I've gotten crappy hair products from high-end companies when I got be getting something for a fraction of the price at the drugstore that will work better.... :

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But the problem with beauty products is that the value is so completely arbitruary. Price is not an indicator of quality, especially for hair products. I've gotten crappy hair products from high-end companies when I got be getting something for a fraction of the price at the drugstore that will work better.... :

Sure, but that wasn't necessarily my point. Even if I won't be using the majority of the products in my beauty subs, I still want to feel that I got my money's worth if not more. Of course, each of us evaluates this in different ways. I'm very set in the products that I use. I know what brands work for me and tend to be a loyal consumer. I subscribe to these beauty boxes in the off chance that I might find something amazing that I would've never thought or wanted to buy on my own. I know that more often than not, I will come across more fails than wins. However, I find greater enjoyment in the surprise element, being able to trade for things I might be interested in trying, or putting together gift bags for others. I'm picky and admittedly resistant to change when it comes to my beauty routine, so it wouldn't be fair for me to evaluate a sub company by how many good products I've been introduced to because it's automatically going to be very low. Therefore, I use a simpler, easier metric: monetary value. As long as they're sending me items above or equal to the value that I'm paying for, I can justify keeping the subscription.

I'm excited about the product since my hair isnt as thick as it once was.. and thinning hair is one of my nightmares! I will likely get an extra box for myself, and will be getting gift boxes for a couple people I know that can use it too. Even with my Cosmo Prof card, nioxin is expensive!

Oh, crap. I guess I forgot to cancel Glossybox, and I was charged today. I really couldn't afford it this month, so this really sucks. 

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a refund if you call and beg?

Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh, crap. I guess I forgot to cancel Glossybox, and I was charged today. I really couldn't afford it this month, so this really sucks. 

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a refund if you call and beg?

I haven't tried, myself, but I am pretty sure I remember people being unable to get refunds from GB. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm so excited for a thickening/voliumizing product! I feel like subs often overload us with serums and oils meant for smoothing or straightening. This makes me happy I'm back with Glossybox!

I agree.  I think GB has sent a good mix of hair products since I've been subscribed in November (they sent argan oil that month).  The last two months have included hair products I couldn't or wouldn't use (deep conditioning mask and keratin treatments).  I'm glad this month includes a product I can use and am excited to try.

I don't feel alienated, I just think this is how it goes with subs, some months lean in favor of certain hair type and other months work for others.  Not a big deal.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree.  I think GB has sent a good mix of hair products since I've been subscribed in November (they sent argan oil that month).  The last two months have included hair products I couldn't or wouldn't use (deep conditioning mask and keratin treatments).  I'm glad this month includes a product I can use and am excited to try.

I don't feel alienated, I just think this is how it goes with subs, some months lean in favor of certain hair type and other months work for others.  Not a big deal.

Agreed, and I don't think it's any different than most other products...most skincare and haircare isn't really universally suitable. Even makeup isn't. You're always going to get things that might not be right for your particular needs, it's just the nature of subs.

Back