Have you dropped your Birchbox subscription?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My word. Where is this sense of entitlement coming from? I remember some complaints about those bags, apparently people forgot they were FREE.
Don't you know we deserve these things?? Target HAS to send me a bag and it better be good or I'm going to complain. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't you know we deserve these things?? Target HAS to send me a bag and it better be good or I'm going to complain. 
Fall is their last one, and I can't help but think that they aren't doing them anymore because of the amount of drama surrounding them.

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fall is their last one, and I can't help but think that they aren't doing them anymore because of the amount of drama surrounding them.
I think you're most likely right. There was WAY too much drama over the spring and the summer ones. Admittedly, some of the drama was Target's fault. When they first announced it in the spring, they were sending out the leftover fall bags, which was irritating to those of us who had gotten the previous bag and thought we were getting something different (plus, hello, the coupons were all expired). Then the ACTUAL summer bag, they kinda biffed communication about how to obtain it at first (or was that spring? I forget) Add those faux pas on to the whinging from people who had thought they'd be getting something very different, and ...yeah. Don't think it was something they were eager to repeat.

I never got an email that they were sending me fall beauty bag, but when I signed up on facebook, it said I'd be getting one. Hope I get it; it would be super cool!

As for BB, my disappointment with my last five boxes coupled with my monetary situation pushed me to cancel after October (the boyfriend gets to keep his). The ten dollars a month really adds up, and I just wasn't getting very many samples that were useable for me. I think my requirements were a little too narrow for the service, which isn't their fault. I just don't think BB was a good fit for me.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My word. Where is this sense of entitlement coming from? I remember some complaints about those bags, apparently people forgot they were FREE.
Kind of like they forget that Birchbox is a sample service?

I checked "other" because I dropped my Birchbox subscription before the September box. I think August was my last one.

Curious as to why there is not a positive option, such as "No, I'm happy with my Birchbox!"

The way the poll is worded is biased towards negative responses  (i.e., "I'm stuck", "I'm sticking it out").  Therefore, it's not really going to give an accurate picture or take into account those that are not unhappy.

So, as it is worded right now, there is really no way for me to give my viewpoint.  "Other" doesn't really count, unless you give people the option of stating what "Other" is. 

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Curious as to why there is not a positive option, such as "No, I'm happy with my Birchbox!"
Because this survey, such as it is, is intended to back a predetermined viewpoint. It's not about presenting a generally representative view of the membership here or of BB subscribers in general--it's designed for those who have an axe to grind.

I think the reason there isn't a super positive option in the survey because it was more intended for the unhappy customers and ones who have been really upset. If you've been happy, great! But I think the intention was to grasp the unhappy people and get them to post why, so there can be a better understanding and hopefully improvements. The poll is about dropping, not you're general opinion overall. If you don't like the options, don't vote ! 
smile.gif

My two cents, anyways!

I've been subscribing to Birchbox since June.  I think I'll stick it out a bit longer, I've been fairly happy with most of my boxes..  but that tiny foil packet of conditioner was definitely not promising. 

It can be expected that I'd get some products that aren't really my taste, and if I do like something then there's no such thing as "big enough"..  but it's really frustrating to get samples that aren't even enough for one use. 

And don't get me started on that whole "let's take six inches of foldover elastic, tie it in a knot, and claim that this is some magnificent high-end hair-tie" thing.  Even if foldover was actually good to use for hair ties (and it's not) the stuff is dirt cheap and anybody can snip off a piece and tie it in a knot. 

I'm still overall happy with Birchbox.  That said, I do think the quality of samples has diminished somewhat since ~June/July.  

But between their store discounts (especially the 20%) and points I think it's the best value in town.  I'd be willing to pay $2-5 more to get better sized (a la Sample Society and/or Glossybox) samples and continue with the BB store/points.  And...I even love their lifestyle additions most months, too.  I know plenty hate those, but I hope they continue with them myself.

And I've found some really awesome things this year from them: Orofluido, Olie Biologique oil, Twirl perfume, Atelier perfume in Orange Sanguine, Zoya polishes, Jouer LMT/MMT, Revolution Organics beauty balms (I've gotten all 3!), Beauty Blender, etc.

I'd like to see them

1.) Focus on getting shipments out earlier.  I understand a fluke (Sept), but it happened again for some people in Oct.  We get excited to receive our boxes around the 10th.  If the shipment gets delayed too much, we lose that excitement!

2.) Hire more customer support so ppl get a response in 24-36 hours.  And get cs on the same page.  Personally, I don't care about canned responses, while others want super personal ones.  But I want to see consistency on how cs reps answer different people.

3.) I'm sure it's tough to know what'll be a best seller and what won't - but it sure seems like half the stuff I am interested in purchasing is out of stock lately.

4.) Sample sizes: If one or two are more deluxe (or a full-sized), I more lax about the other 2-3 sample sizes.  Esp. for $10...just sayin'!  But 4 small samples like we've been seeing would disappoint me.

5.) I'm okay with good sized foil packets (or multiple ones), but maybe BB should also supply a small (maybe, BB-logoed) container with lid to pour it into so it can be stored easily for multiple uses. If I decant a foil packet, it's amazing how much product you get.  And maybe I have a light touch, but some samples last me a LONG time - even smallish ones.

6.) Surprises are GREAT - but I've seen less excitement/response since we MUTers have been unable to see the boxes ahead of time (and dream about our fav/rule out the ones we can't get).  I'm not sure what the happy medium is...

-L

Originally Posted by LAtPoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still overall happy with Birchbox.  That said, I do think the quality of samples has diminished somewhat since ~June/July.  

But between their store discounts (especially the 20%) and points I think it's the best value in town.  I'd be willing to pay $2-5 more to get better sized (a la Sample Society and/or Glossybox) samples and continue with the BB store/points.  And...I even love their lifestyle additions most months, too.  I know plenty hate those, but I hope they continue with them myself.

And I've found some really awesome things this year from them: Orofluido, Olie Biologique oil, Twirl perfume, Atelier perfume in Orange Sanguine, Zoya polishes, Jouer LMT/MMT, Revolution Organics beauty balms (I've gotten all 3!), Beauty Blender, etc.

I'd like to see them

1.) Focus on getting shipments out earlier.  I understand a fluke (Sept), but it happened again for some people in Oct.  We get excited to receive our boxes around the 10th.  If the shipment gets delayed too much, we lose that excitement!

2.) Hire more customer support so ppl get a response in 24-36 hours.  And get cs on the same page.  Personally, I don't care about canned responses, while others want super personal ones.  But I want to see consistency on how cs reps answer different people.

3.) I'm sure it's tough to know what'll be a best seller and what won't - but it sure seems like half the stuff I am interested in purchasing is out of stock lately.

4.) Sample sizes: If one or two are more deluxe (or a full-sized), I more lax about the other 2-3 sample sizes.  Esp. for $10...just sayin'!  But 4 small samples like we've been seeing would disappoint me.

5.) I'm okay with good sized foil packets (or multiple ones), but maybe BB should also supply a small (maybe, BB-logoed) container with lid to pour it into so it can be stored easily for multiple uses. If I decant a foil packet, it's amazing how much product you get.  And maybe I have a light touch, but some samples last me a LONG time - even smallish ones.

6.) Surprises are GREAT - but I've seen less excitement/response since we MUTers have been unable to see the boxes ahead of time (and dream about our fav/rule out the ones we can't get).  I'm not sure what the happy medium is...

-L
great ideas! 
claps.gif

I have a question about this thread.  Accoring Makeup Talk's Terms of Service:

Quote:

"Market Research" of any kind is not allowed on MUT."

And according to this PM I received, the information gathered in  this thread will be passed on to a company that is not an advertiser on MuT. Which would qualify it as "Market Research".  Wouldn't that make this entire thread in violation of MuT's Terms of Service?  Shouldn't the rules of the forum apply to everyone?

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The way the poll is worded is biased towards negative responses  (i.e., "I'm stuck", "I'm sticking it out").  Therefore, it's not really going to give an accurate picture or take into account those that are not unhappy.

So, as it is worded right now, there is really no way for me to give my viewpoint.  "Other" doesn't really count, unless you give people the option of stating what "Other" is. 
Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because this survey, such as it is, is intended to back a predetermined viewpoint. It's not about presenting a generally representative view of the membership here or of BB subscribers in general--it's designed for those who have an axe to grind.
Originally Posted by petitamour /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the reason there isn't a super positive option in the survey because it was more intended for the unhappy customers and ones who have been really upset. If you've been happy, great! But I think the intention was to grasp the unhappy people and get them to post why, so there can be a better understanding and hopefully improvements. The poll is about dropping, not you're general opinion overall. If you don't like the options, don't vote ! 
smile.gif

My two cents, anyways!

I'd like to see them

-L
https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/129957/happy-with-your-birchbox-subscription-poll-options

Originally Posted by petitamour /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif

My two cents, anyways!
According to the email I received (see below), the purpose of the poll was to find out people's opinions of their Birchbox subscription so that Zadidoll could give that information to the co-founder of Birchbox.  So, it's a bit disingenuous to design a poll in a biased fashion to get the information you've already decided you want in order to make a point.  It would be better to just point Katia to the threads where people are complaining about Birchbox if that's what you are trying to convey. 

If the 1,342 members of the group are truly being polled, there will be options available to represent the range of possible opinions, and not just the vocal unhappy.

I'm curious to see what each of the 1,342 members in the group has to say about their Birchbox subscriptions. I plan on sending Katia (co-founder of Birchbox) and email by the end of the week and would love to have some stats from us to show her what people think of Birchbox.

I'd like to see them

-L
1. They promise to SHIP by the 10th, after that it depends on where you live. I live as far on the West Coast as it gets, seriously I am looking at the Pacific ocean out the window, and it takes a long time to get to me, they have messed up at shipping them out, but they give an estimate with the high end of 10 days. It has taken my box about that long every month for 2 years.

2.I just talk to one CS, Paulina, she responds within hours with always really helpful information, but yeah, their CS just regurgitates premade responses, but that makes sense when 100 people all send the same email, the only reason people are upset is because everybody posts them here, so nobody feels like their complaint is special.

3.Can't speak on this one, its not something I've noticed. (but I am in points hoard mode for my 12 month coupon ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

4.The brands determine the sample sizes, so I would complain to the brands like perfeckt and others about why they sampled such small samples, they will probably send you some :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> its always worth a shot.

5. Best Idea Ever, my boyfriend smokes a lot of weed from dispensaries and all the toppings come in little cosmetic jars, so when they are empty I boil them and use them for packet samples. There is usually a good enough amount in the packets, the delivery is just stupid.

6.this seems like the "we can't make everybody happy" It was a lot of fun picking out which boxes you liked, and which were your top 5 yadayada, but on the flipside people get sad when they don't get what they want. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then it's a wasted opportunity to provide some data that could have potentially been useful, IMO.  Too bad.

Originally Posted by Maggiedoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And don't get me started on that whole "let's take six inches of foldover elastic, tie it in a knot, and claim that this is some magnificent high-end hair-tie" thing.  Even if foldover was actually good to use for hair ties (and it's not) the stuff is dirt cheap and anybody can snip off a piece and tie it in a knot. 
Hahaha...I love this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Totally agree.

Back