Have you dropped your Birchbox subscription?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, really small samples that I could...maybe get half a usage out of. I also got really fed up with the disparity in price between the different boxes, especially as someone who always got the short end of the stick. 

I think what really did it was when I e-mailed BB to let them know my thoughts (and wasn't whiney like "omg you like totally didn't give me x product so I really want one!!!!!!" but was more like "here are my opinions and thoughts on things you guys could work on"), I received a very thoughtful and well-written FORM RESPONSE that wasn't even properly formatted. As in, it basically said "Hi [my name], We appreciate your comments" and then....in a different font and size, was pretty much a standardized response that the person responding to me didn't even take the time to properly format to make it look like she didn't just copy/paste that from another document. I know that they can't possibly take the time to personally respond to each and everyone's emails, but receiving something like "We really value the input you provided about [x] and are doing out best to work out [y kink] in our service" than a longer canned response that only somewhat addressed my concerns and did nothing to reassure me that the 15 minutes I wasted to type my first email didn't go to waste. Didn't Harvard Business School teach them something about keeping their customers feeling valued and happy? Geez. 

Quit, and never looked back. Well, except twice to see what people got in their Sep/Oct boxes...and was secretly really, really happy I left. 

Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, but I should mention that I work nights and basically never leave the house when the sun is shining. And my skin's doing well - no one ever believes when I tell them my real age. Like I said, I don't consider sunscreen a "beauty" product. I was as annoyed with that as when GB sent us toothpaste. Boring...
Oh dear,  at first glance I was about to tell you that sunscreen is really important but after reading the middle part of your reply, I think you are right- if you don't have the chance to see sunshine,  it's better not to add extra load(saying, sunscreens) to your skin. But be careful that if you room is bright in the daytime, this usually means UV ray is in your room- unless your window ha special film on it (I believe very few houses have this on window). And the damage of UV rays can be shown after years- usually in form of dark spots and coarse texture. 

By the way why do you think sunscreen is not beauty products? It's always in beauty department in many stores. Maybe you are referring to make up? 

SPF in foundations is far from enough because you need to put large amount of sunscreen (in any form, lotion, cream, foundation,tinted moisturizer) to get full protect- the labeled spf. I believe no one can put 1ml foundation on face at one time. Usually we use 0.2-0.3ml of foundation. At this level, labeled spf 30 can turn out to be spf 2-4 on your face- it's really a trap  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MrsMeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, my husband's personal opinion is that any beauty sample service is waste of money.  But I take his opinion with a grain of salt, too...I think every one has a different idea of what is worth spending money on.  It's one thing to be informative about other services out there (which, Sugar?  Tell me more).  It's another to insult people (whether you meant to or not) by telling them they are not spending their money wisely.  In your case, maybe.  In mine?  Eh, I like the value that I'm getting out of BB.
Oh spare that lady, she is just telling the truth (like you husband). She isn't judging on anyone. 

I'm a little over reacting because she just said what I want to say... So glad that it wasn't me that started those words.

Originally Posted by fayeX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See the reply just below yours, it's called "false advertising"- to show make up brands (and skincare brands) on front page and everywhere but actually send out unrelated items.

As for the later sentence, why so mean to a kind suggestion? Plus she said it was her personally opinion. 
It says "Birchbox is the best way to discover new grooming, beauty and lifestyle products" directly on their front homepage, and refer to "beauty and lifestyle products" a few times over that. Maybe it wasn't that way when you or I initially subscribed, but if you were unsatisfied with the non-beauty-related items you were receiving, why not just unsubscribe sooner (if you were a month-to-monther)? They have been adding "lifestyle" extras into boxes for probably almost a year now. They've expanded the brands they're selling as they continue to grow ... how awful!

Another person said after my comment "I think every one has a different idea of what is worth spending money on." I wasn't being mean; I just don't think it's OK for someone to make a blanket statement about the way I'm choosing to spend my money as being a "waist." I'll be the one to determine that.

Originally Posted by amblingalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It says "Birchbox is the best way to discover new grooming, beauty and lifestyle products" directly on their front homepage, and refer to "beauty and lifestyle products" a few times over that. Maybe it wasn't that way when you or I initially subscribed, but if you were unsatisfied with the non-beauty-related items you were receiving, why not just unsubscribe sooner (if you were a month-to-monther)? They have been adding "lifestyle" extras into boxes for probably almost a year now. They've expanded the brands they're selling as they continue to grow ... how awful!

Another person said after my comment "I think every one has a different idea of what is worth spending money on." I wasn't being mean; I just don't think it's OK for someone to make a blanket statement about the way I'm choosing to spend my money as being a "waist." I'll be the one to determine that.
Sorry I should make it more clear: the lifestyle products once was called "extra", but nowadays with fewer and fewer large size samples  and more and more boxes with only 4 items(if not counting the lifestyle one, and among the 4 half of them are one-time use), it seems that the lifestyle extra is taking place of the usual samples. What's even worse- the value of the lifestyle products is usually low... that's why I'm so against it. 

As for the advertising part, if your try to search "birchbox" in google, the google ad on top of the result page is still 

Birchbox® Beauty Products | Birchbox.com
and comparing to the small words "... and life style samples", the large picture of boxes filled with make up and skincare are much more eye catching, plus the brand logos are all beauty related.

I know it's common to see packages with beautiful pictures and a line of tiny words: picture is just for ad use, contents may vary... This is not against any law but everyone with common sense know it's a trick.

And... she didn't just make a blanket statement. She reasoned a lot before that, right?

Maybe I'm overreacting again... sorry if I made you uncomfortable, I really didn't mean it. You can just forget my words. 

I asked for an I'm happy with my subscription-type choice because this survey is REALLY negatively skewed, and if Birchbox wants to do true research on the matter they're definitely going to want something a lot more neutral. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So glad to see all of these voices being heard though!

Has anyone been with BB long enough to remember a profile question saying something like, "If a deluxe sample is not available, would you accept foil packets?" I know I'm paraphrasing, but that was on my profile when I first started, nearly 2 years ago. I'm sure i chose NO, and I notice the question is no longer there.

Originally Posted by fayeX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See the reply just below yours, it's called "false advertising"- to show make up brands (and skincare brands) on front page and everywhere but actually send out unrelated items.

As for the later sentence, why so mean to a kind suggestion? Plus she said it was her personally opinion. 
every single product they have on their front page has been sampled. Of the 13 shown I have been able to sample 8 of them, and know for a fact the rest have been sampled. It sucks a lot of later subscribers won't get the chance to see them, but its not false advertising.

October was my third month with BB.  I had issues with my first two boxes, and October was supposed to be the month that I'd decide if I would continue with BB.  My main problem with BB is that we get tracking numbers and are informed that our boxes have shipped when they clearly have not and that has happened on box two and three for me.  But the thing I do like about BB the most is the surprise factor, and I enjoy looking at the spoilers on this forum.  So THAT is what is keeping me and I have decided I will try one more month, November, and if there is no improvement, I will probably cancel and try another beauty box.  Oh, and I'm also waiting it out for November so I'll have more points to cash in for if I do cancel.

Thanks for posting this poll! I dropped my box after the underwhelming October box I received. I've been with Birchbox for 7 months. I sent them an email because my box was very, very late, but they sent me a unapologetic, canned email saying the box had shipped (which wasn't true). It took two weeks, and that's just poor customer service. I've never received a box that really "wowed" me, and this was really the final straw. Anyways, I was really disappointed with the Essie polish I received (Power Clutch)...I should try to trade if anyone is interested...but the rest of the box just wasn't anything special. The tiny lipgloss, the never ending Luna bars. The only thing I loved was the bodywash. I ended up cashing out my remaining points and cancelling ASAP. There are plenty of competing sample boxes that seem to be way above par to Birch Box, so I might give them a try. I signed up for a month of Pop Sugar (November)...so we'll see ($25 Yikes! LOL) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Maybe i'll return to Birchbox in the future if they improve their customer service and the quality of their boxes!

Regardless, you just can't please everyone...complaints about CS; the responses are varied and people hear different things in emails or they get canned and generic responses from CS. Make up your minds.. you're not dealing with robots or autonomous beings, of course you're going to get various responses dealing with different CS reps. As far as BB being only beauty related, come off it already. We like to split hairs, do we? Beauty and lifestyle; I don't ever recall them saying beauty or makeup only. FYI, some people would consider diet part of beauty..old cliche, you are what you eat? If it's not for you or not working out, keep it real and move on. Treat it like a failed relationship and get to stepping. I don't understand why folks drag out their memberships when they're increasingly unsatisfied and disenchanted with so many aspects of a service. If you eat horrible food, do you keep returning to the same restaurant? There's a lot of other sub companies available and depending on your price point, you'll find one to meet your wants for a while.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as BB being only beauty related, come off it already. We like to split hairs, do we? Beauty and lifestyle; I don't ever recall them saying beauty or makeup only. FYI, some people would consider diet part of beauty..old cliche, you are what you eat?
Heck, there are gals on here who don't consider hair products or skincare to be part of "beauty", as I recall. 

Heck, there are gals on here who don't consider hair products or skincare to be part of "beauty", as I recall. 
Yes, like some who dislike Sample Society because they seem to focus on hair and skin items too much. Deluxe samples, often times more luxurious and spendy items/brands, but hey... Can't please everyone, which is why there are so many companies available and more than ready to take your money.

Yes, like some who dislike Sample Society because they seem to focus on hair and skin items too much. Deluxe samples, often times more luxurious and spendy items/brands, but hey... Can't please everyone, which is why there are so many companies available and more than ready to take your money.
I was actually thinking of a post about this summer's Target Beauty Bag. As I recall, the poster was incensed that there were "just" shampoo and lotion samples in it.

I was actually thinking of a post about this summer's Target Beauty Bag. As I recall, the poster was incensed that there were "just" shampoo and lotion samples in it.
My word. Where is this sense of entitlement coming from? I remember some complaints about those bags, apparently people forgot they were FREE.

My word. Where is this sense of entitlement coming from? I remember some complaints about those bags, apparently people forgot they were FREE.
lol

I just received the newest(Autumn?) Beauty Bag from Target yesterday. it was almost entirely made up of different shampoo and conditioner samples, + 1 lotion sample. 

I was pretty excited about it. I love trying new hair stuff - especially deep moisture masques for hair.

edit: wait - there was a Pixi primer in there, too. Haven't tried it yet. Going to use it today, by itself(as a bb cream type deal).

Back