Have you dropped your Birchbox subscription?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with BB too!  I've found some holy grail samples since I first subscribed a year ago and even more when I added a subscription in April.  I enjoy it so much that I've kept the subscription coming to my mom's house even though I now live in Italy!  

No, I don't love everything they send me, and that's what the trade thread is for!  I've found many more items there that I've loved that didn't come in my BB. (Olie Huile Biologique, Orofluido, Algenist Eye Renewal, Masqueology masks, all kinds of colors of stila smudgesticks and waterproof eyeliners, Miracle Skin Transformer concealer, Ada bronzer as eyeshadow...)  I repeat, all of these I LOVE and NONE have come in my boxes!!

It's worth getting the box just to have things to trade for what you want!  In the end $10 for discovering new products you wouldn't be able to try elsewhere is worth it to me.  They have hiccups here and there, but it's so much fun getting a little surprise in the mail each month.  Most always you get more than $10 worth, AND you don't even have to pay for shipping.  I'm staying.

I actually have a gift sub --and have been planning on resubbing for a year when it is up -- but dont think I am going to. It started out pretty nice, but I really havent gotten the deluxe samples that they promised and would rather spend my 110 elsewhere. I am trying ipsy right now and will do three months and see how bb compares to decide which one to keep. thanks

I had issues in both Sept. and then again in Oct. so I did cancel in October. I had enough of the run around with the apologies and the generic email responses that everyone was getting. For two months of BB I can get a month of Glossy Box, which has more full size items and is more customized to me. I wanted beauty samples, not perfume every month, tea bags, energy bars, hair ties (I have a pixie cut), and things that I couldn't use. Also the foil packets, come on. At first it was a good deal, now, it is pretty much worthless. I can go to Sephora and get better samples for free.

I put that I am planning on dropping if November isn't great, which is the closest answer that describes my situation.  In November, when I fill out my feedback I will have enough points to make a "good enough" purchase--assuming the item(s) I want are in stock, which hasn't been the case for me lately.  I am sticking with my subs in general until the end of the year and then keeping one or two (I have 4--just one BB though) because I need to cut back since me and my fiancee are moving out in the next 4 months and getting married in the summer.

If BB was amazing me, or I felt that I was truly being exposed to new and exciting products I might have decided to keep it.  I do like the products I get, but considering how small some samples have gotten, and the fact that when I do want to purchase what I got a freakin small sample of they don't have it available (not sold out, just don't have it in stock ever), and all the other little issues, for me, it's just not going to be worth it since I am dropping some subs anyway.  I really don't like that I have been subbed since Feb and I still see many of the products I got in my first box still being distributed.  How is something from February new in October?  Just my opinion.  I think they should only send out the same products for 3-4 months tops.

November will be it for me.  Cashing in the points and calling it a day.  No hard feelings to BB.  Honestly, if they had what I wanted in stock now I would probably just put the extra money in from my pocket (combined with the points I do have), but the entire month they haven't! 

And I think it's crazy that they only give you a certain amount of time to give feedback considering some people don't get their box until the last week of the month!!

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about a "No - I'm happy with my Birchbox subscription" because that's my answer.
Yes, same here. Granted, I haven't been following the discussions here so hadn't given any thought as to the value of my recent boxes. I just remember being pleased by certain items in them, which was enough for me. It hadn't occurred to me to drop my subscription as it's still my favorite of all the makeup subscription services I've tried and I do so love checking my mail every month for my surprise.

That said, I did think the razor was a little silly since I'd just gotten the exact same razor in the mail as a free sample. But hey, that means I definitely plan to use it.

The boxes were just so shoddy---I couldn't wait for my yearly subscription to end!  I dropped it after September when my sub ran out.  I think it's a great concept, but in practice they just get it so horribly wrong!

Now that I didn't renew immediately, they just sent me an email offering double points for rejoining.  No thanks!  

I've been comparing the utility of Birchbox to just buying beauty products from Sephora and getting VIB status (which I have) to get free more deluxe items, build up points for special kits, and the automatic 3 free samples. Even if you are just a beauty insider and order online there are always codes for a free deluxe sample.

I just subscribed to BeautyFix and you can immediately see the benefits. Although, it's not as fun as getting a box every month.

I signed up for 1 year of Birchbox and then subscribed for another year, but the quality has seemed to go downhill. Getting small samples that I could otherwise get with a full product is disappointing.

I am generally happy with my box this month, but I wish that there was more ways to let the company know what is not right for me. Something like things that I really like, things that I am not sure about, things that I definitely won't like. It seems like they could make most people happy if they allowed people some choice to their selection ahead of time. Some people love nail polish - I'm one of them, but others apparently hate it.

Also, my box this month was late - although not as late as others.

I think more of it is the fact about customer service and PR. It takes 2 days to get a response over email although by phone is better. While I have had generally good experience in the past, I have been seeing more and more people describe their customer service experience as pre-boxed, unfeeling and lacking empathy. It gives everyone a bad taste in their mouth when someone is treated without compassion. Granted -- there are some customers who are lacking tact and logical argument in their complaints as well.

Another issue is the feeling that our profiles are worthless to determining box content - or some sort of puzzle to figure out how to get our ideal boxes. The profile questions should really be clear as to what they mean for the boxes. Some people think that if they put perfume as their splurge item, they won't receive it in their boxes. Does anyone know what "adventurous" vs. "trendy" really means?

There is so much competition out there. I would love to support a NY company, being from NY myself. Hopefully these are just growing pains and the awkward teenage years for Birchbox and it will grow into the lady it's meant to be.

I don't know, I have been fairly happy, yet underwhelmed w/ BB as of late. I'm going to see what November brings for BB and BBMan and go from there. I have no qualms with cancelling and getting my sub fix elsewhere.

I've been with Birchbox since the beginning,  which is the only reason I haven't dropped them yet.  They started with only four samples in a box,  but they were good sizes from interesting brands.  Also,  they were the new thing.  Now there are so many other subscription boxes,  and often better options available.  I've personally gone from being excited to get a sneak peak on the box,  to not really caring when it shows up.

I think what is killing them is the incongruent boxes.  Some boxes have tons of larger samples,  while other have mainly foil packets (which defeats the whole point of the service).  And since there seems no rhyme or reason to boxes choice,  many people get the dreg boxes for months on end.  I don't know if it is laziness or lack of caring that makes them fail to address this.

I still haven't received my October box.  I emailed and told them, and then I received an email that I was getting a free November box.  I guess I'm satisfied with that, but I still want my october box.

I was going to cancel this month, but I'm 10 pts shy of getting $20 off my order, so I'm canceling after my Nov box instead.  I put "not yet....thinking about dropping of November's box..."

I sent them a courteous detailed message about why I was disappointed and what I thought they could do to get greater customer satisfaction and I got a bullsh*t response.  Give me bullsh*t?  I give you no $$.

I chose other. I'm completely happy with my Birchbox since the company's start, & have never once thought of canceling. I seem to always get fantastic boxes! There really should be poll options for us happy subscribers instead of only the frustrated ones!

I would cancel my subscription if I could, but I'm stuck in a yearly membership. I used to keep telling myself that my expectations were too high when the samples kept getting smaller and smaller, but then I subscribed to MyGlam/Ipsy and was wowed at how much larger the products were for the same price. Plus, I get a cute bag too. The ladies at Birchbox are lovely, but that's not enough to keep me subscribed anymore.

I hardly come on this thread anymore, but I still wanted to give my input. I used to come on here because I was excited about my Birchbox and just couldn't wait to find out what I got. Now I don't really care what I get anymore... 
sadno.gif

I agree with what a lot of people have been saying. I'm happy with Birchbox. The poll is biased in not having that as an option. The options for "No"  all give more negative connotations. There should at least be a,  "No, I am very happy with Birchbox" option. I appreciate the trying to be exhaustive but many happy people might choose "Other" and that won't tell you very much because "Other" could mean many things.  (But I'm picky about surveys/statistics being a psychology graduate student...)

Really the only two reasons I am "sticking it out" for now are that I like their points program and I like getting a bunch of samples that I can pass on to my friends.  I don't use half of what I get for myself, because in a way I am just over it, especially seeing the same things cycled through the different months over and over.  Losing interest a bit.  I might cancel at the beginning of the year- I really don't know.  I have had some less than great boxes recently, but I am not really complaining because even the boxes I don't like are still worth what I paid.  I just don't think I would knowingly spend $10 on the sorts of things that I have been getting recently.  It's a chance I take though, so oh well.

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wasn't disappointed in the October box I received, but was underwhelmed with September.
Same for me. I have to say that the next few boxes will determine how long I'll stick it out, though. 

I chose the third option, but really, I'm giving them until the end of the year.  That will be just one year + one month with BB.  I either don't use or already have many of the products they send out so it's more on my end.

Not yet, but probably will soon.  Although there is usually one item I like from the box and the rest I give away or trade.  Without the points system, this would be dunzo.  I think i'll wait til the end of the year though.

I guess I'm torn.  Out of the 9 months I've been with BB I've probably enjoyed 6 of those boxes.  Is that enough to make me stay? Probably not.  However, I do really enjoy the points system.  I'm pretty much in love with Origins Checks and Balances facial cleanser and by the time I need a new one I've accumulated enough points to get it for free.  Does that balance out?  I have no idea; i hate math.  But let's see. 9 months=$90. 9 months equals about (on average) 450 points which = 2 $20 Origins cleansers ($40).  Plus with the other stuff I've gotten to try and and therefore not wasted money buying full size products I might hate I'd say it's a win win.  Off the top of my head I've received 4 nail polishes= around $25; Eyeko liner (which I love)=$20; Tarte Lip Stain  = $20; Ada bronzer =$10.  (These are just the products I've really enjoyed) TOTAL= $115 (guesstimate).  So just looking at this I would definitely say the cost balances out and subscribing to BB has technically saved me money, which is always good.  I guess I'll have to see in the coming months since they're no longer sending out "deluxe" samples.  Oh and, by the way, the October edition of Allure featured an article about beauty sample boxes and in the short paragraphs about BB was still listed as providing "deluxe" samples.  I hope no one decides to get BB based on that article because they may be severely disappointed...   So anyway, I'll stick with BB for at least a couple more months to see what the hap is.

I enjoy my BB subscription. Maybe it's because I'm not viewing what 20 different varieties of boxes are being sent out and hoping for one or two particular items, then am disappointed when I see what I've gotten in mine. That's not why I started a subscription in the first place. I pay $10 for a handful of samples. Sometimes they're great, sometimes eh, sometimes I trade them with my sister and mom. I think a lot of dissatisfied customers have an inflated sense of what $10 should allow them to get. Unsubscribe so there are less annoying comments in the BB threads on here -— it's quite honestly why I barely come on here to chat up people anymore. It's the same old same old each month.

Latest posts

Back