Have you dropped your Birchbox subscription?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Lilith McKee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually really enjoyed my October Birchbox, I kinda feel like this poll veers towards the negative side.  I voted that I would be "sticking it out with Birchbox" but the wording still feels a little negative, meh it's probably just me though.  

I have loved all but one of my boxes, and for 10 bucks a month I have found a ton of new products I love.  If there is something I would change it would be the no foil packet thing, however some of my favorite product finds have been from packet products honestly.  I love the perfume samples, the hair ties have been fun and useable, and since I am a health oriented person I love the healthy food sample products (heck I have been buying those Luna protein bars because of birch box and I love em).  So I seem to some of the things most gals dislike a out Birchbox it seems.  

I will probably been seen as a fan girl but I have loved my Birchbox experience, for 10 bucks I get a little surprise and I have bought a few products from birchbox as well - I got my first clarisonic Mia last week!  I have bought gift subscriptions for family members and girlfriends and they seem to love it too. 
I agree with what you said 100%. I love my birchbox as well. I have bought gift subs and and received numerous products with my points. I am halfway to a clarisonic Mia and just waiting for a promotion to combine with it.

I've gotten three boxes, and I've been pretty happy with them, for the most part. The sample sizes are sometimes smaller than I was expecting, but I've discovered a few products that I really love, and a few of the samples have been really great. The Mary-Lou Manizer, for instance, is exactly the type of thing I was expecting.

I dropped it after they told me that a twistband in lace is NOT a duplicate item as the twistband in solid. Yeah?

Hair ties, brush guards, nail polish, razor, hand soap, ear buds, food items, plastic baggies, note cards and perfume are not items that I want. I joined for FACIAL cosmetics and skin care products.

I voted for the "Not yet..." Of my last Birchbox, I kept 2 items: The Balm Mary Lou-manizer, and Mox Botanicals Lip Butter. I threw 2 straight into the trash: Supergoop sunscreen (why put sunscreen in an October box being sent to Michigan?) and Harvey Prince Eau Flirt (they've sent this to me before, and I reviewed that I did not like it). I took one bite of the chocolate-peanut butter Luna protein bar and threw that out, too. So I paid $10 for a tiny pot of lip balm and a highlighter the size of a dime. Yeah...I should probably cancel.

I'm sticking it out just probably out of pure boredom, although I'm not sure that I need the second sub.  I like getting the boxes every month and I'm usually able to trade some of the items for other samples that I did want to try out or that I have tried in the past.

Im new to this!!  Still waiting on my October box.  According to delivery confirmation, it should be here tomorrow.....  Im very hesitant to continue after my first box, since i have heard so many negative things.  I, for now, plan on keeping for November.  I did order Ipsy sub for November (based on feedback from others here and on other sites).

I have been pretty happy with all of my Birchboxes.  I've been a subscriber for a year now and I've had a second account for about 6 months.  I don't plan on dropping either sub.  Some items are hit or miss, but I expect that with a sample service.  I am quite satisfied with my Birchbox experience and I plan on remaining a subscriber for the foreseeable future.

I had two boxes but canceled one of them when I had enough points to be able to order something. I will be able to redeem my points after doing surveys on this months products and then I will be canceling my other box as well. I liked the first couple boxes that I received but every month I have become more and more disappointed with BB. I would rather get a second GB or try a different sub than keep BB.

I went annual on both my BB because they offered extra points.  Wish I didn't and could drop one.  Not sure about dropping BB as a whole.  On one hand I love trying products and brands that are either new to me or a staple that I haven't tried yet without having to go to a store and ask for samples or play with the testers.  I like trying new things out in the comfort of my home like color products, and things like skincare and haircare should be tried at home.  I like taking my time to try things out, really get a feel on the product.  BB sounded good, but I've been so-so with what I've gotten from them.  Yes, I've found some wonderful new lines through them and will continue to use and purchase those products.  But....BB sends me some crazy things, there's no rhyme or reason.  I'm not into all the foodie items even if BB claims these are extras, and I don't drink tea.  If they are going to send me samples that I have paid for, I would like them to be sufficient enough to sample.  How can I judge a foundation when there is a drop on a card or a couple drops of serum or what-not in a foil pack/tiny tube?  I've been expecting deluxe samples, BB doesn't hand their boxes out for free.  I think BB should secure deluxe samples from the companies they partner with before they put boxes together for their customers.  Also, BB needs to really follow more closely customers' profiles, it would definitely help customers connect with the samples that were going out and make for a better experience overall.  I do love BB's points system.  And I have saved money on beauty overall with my box subscriptions.  BB was the first box I joined and the only fish in the sea but now there's so many choices and I have other subs now.  I'm not sure if I'll stay with BB in the future after my annual subscriptions end.  I like BB but I'm really not in love with their service.  I just want BB to step it up so that we can enjoy our boxes!

I chose that I am sticking with them. I bought a year long subscription and I have 4 months left. I would rather keep my subscription rather than get a refund in birchbox points. Depending how my last 4 months go, I may continue my subscription (but I will change to month to month). So far I feel like I have had 3 good months, 2 bad months, 2 alright months, and 1 month that was pretty blah (but I thought Sept.2012 boxes were blah in general).

I recently just signed up once again. I love the idea behind  Birchbox, and the type of products they offer,  but I am disappointed in the size of samples I have received this year and last year. I decided to cancel last December, but wanted to give it another shot. October's  box did not make me excited to be back with Birchbox but I will try to hold out for a couple of months. Hopefully the holiday months will bring some great surprises.

I know it sometimes disappoint me, but I easily move on.
biggrin.gif

November is a make it or break it month for me. I love the surprise in the mail every month, but I have the feeling Birchbox is going through growing pains and they haven't been forthcoming with their customers. if they have outgrown their packaging and shipping vendor, be honest, send an email to everyone. We are very understanding people and maybe they would have had to give out fewer points. The interview that they gave made me a little upset but they have to be uber positive when speaking to the press. Their customer service has been pretty inconsistent in my opinion. I shouldn't have to call more than once to get an issue resolved and it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to understand that in a service business you have to have outstanding customer service. I have also been following Joliebox on Twitter, and they've been sending out pics of Carmex. I am hopeful that a collaboration of the two companies will get us more diverse brands but if I get a tub of carmex....it will be my last box.

Originally Posted by Roni917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont see how anyone can be happy with this subscription, unless they dont know about free samples from other places, def not worth the money. I just joined Pop sugar and am looking forward to my first box.
I get free samples from other places, but I am quite happy with my Birchbox subscription. I understand why many people are annoyed, although I don't necessarily think that the people here are the bulk of subscribers, thus dissatisfaction within this community may not be indicative of overall dissatisfaction.

I know a lot of people hate it, but I think I really like the lottery system BB uses. My favorite subs so far are Glossybox and BB. I like that Glossybox is generally all the same for everyone, with little variation, but I find it fun and exciting that BB does not do that and our boxes vastly differ. Sure, I'm disappointed when there is an item or two (or seven) that I had hoped to get and don't... but I'm always excited to get my box. I did get a really disappointing box once (out of eight months with BB), but overall I'm pleased. I bought a yearly sub, and I really like that I am relieved of the pressure of deciding whether or not to quit, at least for a few more months. I may quit when the year is up, but not because I'm unhappy with BB... I'm just collecting so many samples that I have a hard time using them all! Besides, I rarely have the time to go shopping, so it's nice to get a little box of surprises delivered straight to my door.

Now, a fuller response:

I happen to think that, overall, Birchbox has provided me with a quality experience. I do feel that they need to standardize the CS experience, but as someone who works in customer service, I also know that there may be metrics at play that are impacting the different experiences people have (for example, it is possible that there is a cap on how many free points a given rep is allowed to give out per month, etc.) Points are a nice perk, but are not my deciding factor (many of the things in the BB shop are things that I have found elsewhere cheaper or that I don't have an overwhelming urge to purchase) since I have generally used my points to buy either special edition boxes or gift subscriptions for other people. Hell, regarding the CS experience, I actually think that they may be moving towards standardizing, rather than them attempting to curry favor with individual customers.

Even the absolute crappiest box I got from BB had an item in it that has become an HG product for me, so I don't feel I'm in any way being gypped by their service. Most of the boxes have things that I think are "nice enough" but have no overwhelming urge to purchase, and the only items I've absolutely despised are the self-tanners. To me, this isn't a big deal, as EVERY sub has given out self-tanners at some point, so it's not endemic to BB.

Of the various subs, I do think that BB has the most sustainable model at this point in time, and I have the most confidence in their business plan. If anything, I think it may behoove them to limit new subscriptions for a while, so that growth can continue to be sustained. I also am of the opinion that it is quite likely that many of the things that the community here finds irritating regarding the actual samples are actual at the behest of the companies providing samples to BB. I can completely understand why, if a company is willing to provide 100,000 foil packets, BB isn't going to turn them down, as they could, in theory, be used to add value, not devalue the other contents of a box. Yes, to receive an entire box of single-use foils would annoy me, but this has not yet happened to me. And, frankly, I'd much prefer a variety of single-use foils to a single full-sized item that I would not be able to use at all. Everyone's perspective will be different.

Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I voted for the "Not yet..." Of my last Birchbox, I kept 2 items: The Balm Mary Lou-manizer, and Mox Botanicals Lip Butter. I threw 2 straight into the trash: Supergoop sunscreen (why put sunscreen in an October box being sent to Michigan?) and Harvey Prince Eau Flirt (they've sent this to me before, and I reviewed that I did not like it). I took one bite of the chocolate-peanut butter Luna protein bar and threw that out, too. So I paid $10 for a tiny pot of lip balm and a highlighter the size of a dime. Yeah...I should probably cancel.
I bet you have heard this before, but the sun does not stop emitting UV rays just because the clouds are out. The supergoop serum is meant to be a light weight all weather sun protection product to be worn when it's not summer.

I feel sorry for your skin's future if you believe you don't need to wear sunscreen, it really helps combat signs of aging, discoloration, hyper pigmentation, not to mention all the cancers and illnesses associated with sun damage.

Putting it in your october box is like a friendly reminder to no forget about wearing sun protection all year round! 

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

SO true that you don't stop needing sunscreen just because of it no longer being summer (reflection off of snow can be a different beast entirely!). Kinda ditto with (my loathed) self-tanners--even though I don't use the buggers at all, for those people who feel they get "pasty white" during the winter, self-tanners could be useful for counteracting that effect.

To each their own, but I do agree this poll seems to play to more dissatisfied subbers or former subbers. I love my BB's..6 mos in with 2 accounts and there's only been one.. ONE box I was not at all happy to get. Still has value because I swap, gift, donate what I'm not using. I agree also with their business plan being more ..sustainable was the word? With the points system and all. Definitely agree on liking the lottery system, because it adds to the excitement. What's the point in getting a full size product you hate or won't ever use? To swap it in a store or just to say.."oh, I got one, too." Foil packets...okay, not exciting unless there's multiple of a product or ginormous packets like Miss Jessie's had. Can I get some of these for free? Yes, but that doesn't mean they don't have value. I'm also not interested in always having to do the legwork..so, I'm paying for a service and products. A crapshoot I'm more than happy to gamble on. If or when it stops being satisfactory, I'll keep it real and move on.

Latest posts

Back