Have you dropped your Birchbox subscription?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chose that I'm choosing to stick it out with Birchbox but I'd also like to add that I've been really happy with my boxes and their customer service :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I really just like getting a surprise box in the mail each month and it's only $10...if they raised the price though I'd probably drop.

Originally Posted by Roni917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont see how anyone can be happy with this subscription, unless they dont know about free samples from other places, def not worth the money. I just joined Pop sugar and am looking forward to my first box.
I guess - if everyone had time to run out and collect whatever free samples they wanted...

Unfortunately some of us don't have that kind of time, after taking care of kids, school, speech therapy, sports, scouts, jobs, meals, housework, grocery shopping, etc. It seems that my time is sucked up so fast that I can barely keep track of who needs to be where and when - so the convenience of having a box of various samples sent to my house, waiting on me every month, free or not, makes me happy.  (And I do get some samples free via mail - but I'll happily keep paying for both of my BB subs as well.)

I actually considered dropping today when I got the Ipsy e-mail with the benefit mascara. I should be getting an anniversary coupon and will hopefully reach 300 points next month so it will make it easy to just cash out my points and cancel if I am not happy again.

I should have cancelled after my October box since two products in it were different than what my email said (and I really wanted to try one if them) and it was not a good box but I'll sick it up for one more month. Fingers crossed for an awesome box!

I subbed from last September to December, and most of my boxes were underwhelming. I re-subbed for the March 'teen vogue' one, and will probably cancel after I find something to spend my BB points on. Might stick it out for November, but probably not long after that.

september 2011

September2011_BB1_Thumb_203x112_3.jpg

december 2011 (probably the worst)

December2011_BB2_203x112.jpg

august 2012

BB12_203x112_7.jpg

october 2012 (looks like a bunch of stuff, but it was all sample packets and a cleanser that irritated my skin). I mean really, TWO food items?

BB11_203x112_9.jpg

october 2011 - really liked trying out all the different products

October2011_BB6_203x112.jpg

july 2012 - liked the hair mask and the bronzer

BB7_203x112_6.jpg

june 2012 - fun to try everything out, I liked the variety

BB4_203x112_6.jpg

The reason I didn't like some boxes were A) poor value and/or poor distribution of products across boxes; but mostly B) uninteresting samples--either things I didn't care for, or were kind of silly. like, orange drink powder, razor blades, 'yogini perfume', etc. various micro-mini lip balms, fiber bars, and random perfumes to fill up space gets repetitive and redundant.

The boxes I liked best, I had stuff that was new, interesting, or at least fun to try, even if I didn't end up using them all that much. The best is when you find something you never thought of trying before, like the floral water. I mean, everyone owns a razor blade lol.

October was my first box, and I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that I received a SNACK BAR.  I signed up for beauty products, not food.  

If November doesn't impress me, I'm canceling.  

Originally Posted by Roni917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont see how anyone can be happy with this subscription, unless they dont know about free samples from other places, def not worth the money. I just joined Pop sugar and am looking forward to my first box.
I have gotten free samples from lots of different places - I live in a city and within walking distance of Sephora, Blue Mercury, and Macy's - but I'm still happy with Birchbox. Why? It's a little present in the mail. I might get to try something I would have walked right past in Sephora, or something that I've never even seen. The points system means I can invest a few bucks every month to get a "free" full size product somewhere down the line.

Value is relative. I can see why a lot of people are not happy with BB, but I still enjoy the heck out of it so it's worth it to me.

I'm sticking with BB because I think they are a better fit than the other subs out there.

Points system, only $10, brands I like, reusable packaging, etc.

I know some other subs have those things, but none of them really pique my interest.

Yeah, some of the samples I could get if I went gallivanting in search of them. But I don't have the time nor do I want to do that.

I like that BB does the collecting of samples for me.

$10 a month for me is just 2 days of parking at my university, 2 magazines (sometimes 1 depending on the mag), 2 drinks at Starbucks, etc. So, that's how I justify it and it  makes me happy.
smile.gif

I'll admit October was probably the most disappointing box I've received (box #3), but I am usually satiated by trading with my mom and sisters.

I definitely see how some people can be pretty dissatisfied though.

I dropped it a while ago when the samples starting getting miniscule. That's my "other" answer.

Dropped it for good since I tried it for 6 months and always got the crappy box's. Finally got my October box two days ago and since I saw the spoiler I already knew it was going to be bad. I opened it and it was truly the worst box I had received up to this point. I'll stick with myglam and the other sub and see how those go for a few more months. Thanks for asking us for our input though as this may help influence and change the types of things they send out.

I dropped after the Oct box. It's not the products that sucked so much as the sample sizes and the CS.

I had 3 subscriptions and have dropped two and have only kept my gift subscription because its 'free'. I think where BB went astray is not just with samples and what not, but in that they aren't focusing on their customer base and seem to be more disconnected lately. They are backing these brands they support, but it's their customers they need to focus on to make their company successful. The excitement I felt in the past isn't there now because I no longer have the confidence that they'll deliver something worthwhile. Maybe they did set expectations too high in the past, but that results in a lot of people no longer feeling like theyre getting their investment back, and thus BB is really digging themselves into a hole with unsubscribes and unhappy customers. From my perspective, moving forward as a company, they need to reconnect with their customer base and listen... and also work to either limit their subscription boxes and offer more delux options like in the past, or they should partner *legitimately* with companies to really leverage the base they have and release one large item a box which is coveted/featured. It's not the money that has made me cancel BB, its what I'm receiving and seeing the value and branding decline significantly.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"No. I'm sticking it out with Birchbox" would be your choice. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I disagree. I'm not "sticking it out" in the slightest because I'm happy with Birchbox. I will just choose not to vote in this poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilith McKee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"No - I'm happy with my Birchbox subscription" seems much less negative and would make the poll have a more unbiased feel.  Just a thought :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yep.

Originally Posted by Roxane68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I voted "sticking it out". I am a fairly new subscriber (Aug 2012) so I am not bored with them yet. I also think I am Birchbox's target customer. I live in a rural community with a Sephora over an hour and a half away. No Sally's. No Ultra. I can't just pick up samples when I chose. This is perfect for me to try different brands then buy them online. I AM disappointed in samples that are tiny for products that require more than a few uses for me to know if I like them or if they work for me. For example: This month I received Kiehl's Rosa Arctica Eye Cream. The tube was super tiny and only 1/2 full. Full size is $46. Most eye creams I need to use at least 2 weeks to know if there are any vi sable results. (Skin cell turn-over and all) So I am not going to buy full size anything without a GOOD sample to know if it works for me.

Things like lip gloss, mascara, eyeshadow, etc....you know after a couple of uses whether you like it or not. Small samples of those are fine. I don't think most subscribers are asking for "life-time" supply out of a sample, just an opportunity to TRY the product. I have been pleased with all my boxes so far with some surprises at some items I have actually thought I wouldn't like then loved.

I haven't had missing boxes or shipping problems. My boxes have come earlier than expected. I do understand the frustration of all those experienced that. How can you review a product when you barely get your box before you HAVE to review product to receive points? My Aug box (my first box) arrived closer to the end of the month and I definitely felt rushed to review.
I feel the same way! but I voted:

Not yet. I'm thinking about dropping it if November's box isn't better.

I live an hours drive from an Ulta and JCPenny Sephora so it's nice to get samples in the mail. I also think that samples for skin care or shampoo/conditioner should be larger. You are not going to convince me I need an 80.00 eye cream with a one time use sample. I hate perfume samples and I get them every month. I got two in the October box! I'm allergic to most perfumes and really wish we could opt out of getting them in the box. The perfume samples really bring down the value of the box for me. If I got them occasionally I wouldn't complain, but I get them EVERY month.

I did find a couple of things that I really like and will probably buy again, and guess what??? They were either full size or deluxe samples. DDF cleanser! I got one of the smaller samples but it was enough for two weeks and now I can't live without it. lol. I also LOVED the razor in the August box... HG for me. I'll be buying those from now on (damn they are expensive!). And, the Eyeko liner, love. Anyway... you get the picture.

I feel that there are other subscription services that have better customer service that I can give my money to. Nothing is more irritating than unanswered emails about a product or service THAT I PAY FOR.

One more thing. I just received my Oct box yesterday and last month my box came on the 24th. It's really not enough time to review the products.

Originally Posted by MrsMeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm in the minority, but I'm still pretty darn happy with Birchbox.  Some of my boxes haven't been the greatest, but when I signed up I resolved to try everything, and I've actually been pleasantly surprised.  There have been products where I've been disappointed with the sample (Nexxus foil packets & Blvgari Mon Jasmin Nor, to name a couple) that I've ended up loving and buying full-size (albeit, not with Birchbox).  There have been products I haven't been sure about and ended up absolutely loving (Kiehl's Abssine Cream - AMAZING!).  And, there have been products that I was dying to try and ended up being disappointed with (Dr. Jart's BB Cream).  It's exactly what I wanted from the service.  I don't get anywhere to get actual samples, so this is exactly what I wanted. Still super happy!
I feel the same way! October was my third month and so far I've found a product I love in each box.  There are always one or two underwhelming products (LUNA bar/Eye Rock Stickers/Weird Green Nail Polish) in the box, but I usually like at least one sample.  Even the foil packets don't bother me that much.  I got about 5 uses out of one Embryolisse Lait-Creme packet and my box had 2. Plus, I LOVE the point system!

I had two subs and dropped one of them. I've gotten a few great things from them that I'm really happy with, but I can't justify 2 subs.

I dropped after the October box, where the essie "Fall Pick" nail color that they sent me (Fair Game) was actually from Resort 2011 (!!!) collection. Silly me for assuming "Fall Pick" meant Fall 2012 and that BB was sending us new and on trend items (note sarcasm.) Not just an outlet for them to help vendors get rid of old inventory. 
I hear ya ! I thought the polish was going to be from this year. I felt like a fool thinking that and getting last years polish .

I dropped earlier than the poll says, so I voted "other." I'm glad I dropped it while I did, because compared to mylam/ipsy, I would've felt quite underwhelmed with the boxes following. I dropped in like June or July

I canceled in October after a year. I just like my other subs better right now. BB just seems so cheap lately.

I also don't like the fact that people aren't getting good CS anymore. The overselling of subs with many members not getting boxes because they ran out really makes me uncomfortable- the addition of Jolie box, BB Man and the burst of new subbers makes me think they can't handle this quick growth.

for $10 a month, i'm happy with Birchbox. i received useful items to try delivered in a timely manner. i like the points system to use towards future purchases.  i'll likely stay with BB for a while. if the price were to increase without the size or number of sample to increase as well, i would reconsider.

Back