Have you dropped your Birchbox subscription?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont see how anyone can be happy with this subscription, unless they dont know about free samples from other places, def not worth the money. I just joined Pop sugar and am looking forward to my first box.

I am so happy you are putting this together, Zadidoll! I answered "Yes, I dropped it after my October box." which will be 100% true.. WHEN I actually receive my October box 
rofl2.gif

Honestly, I think Birchbox really needs to step up their game. After reading the article "The Brains Behind Beauty Startup Birchbox" that was posted on the October Birchbox thread, it really put it into perspective for me that we are essentially paying for samples we would generally get for free at beauty counters or if we chose to contact the manufacturer ourselves. I know this isn't always the case, but with the sample sizes we are seeing lately it certainly seems that way. There are plenty of other sample subscriptions out there that truly offer "deluxe" sized samples, the only thing they are missing is the point system that Birchbox has going for it. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
My biggest pet peeves however are the inconsistencies with CS lately and the horrible shipping we've been experiencing the past two months and that was finally the deal breaker for me. I truly want to see Birchbox improve and I hope to eventually become a subscriber again when/if they do!

i'm one of the ones who cancelled after october.

i had a great box this month (box #1) but after two really bad months before that and seeing how bad this month could have been for me led me to cancel and try out ipsy for a few months. if i saw improvements with birchbox, i would definitely resubscribe, i love the points system.

I personally love birchbox. Yes, I do get a little bit envious from time to time but there are months where I get full size wonderful samples that others don't. I feel like it all comes out in the wash. I love that it lets me try different things and the bonus points are huge for me. Everytime I make an order from the shop I use my bonus points and a % off coupon, I usually only pay about $30 for $100 dollars worth of product. Overall I think that they do a great job with service, considering they are not the ones who determine sample size and such.

I am seriously considering dropping Birchbox.  I subscribed to both BB and Glossybox, and I just think that GB is giving me a better sampling.  It's worth the extra $10 to actually get beauty products rather than Lara bars.  I subscribe to a food sampling service for that type of thing.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i'm one of the ones who cancelled after october.

if i saw improvements with birchbox, i would definitely resubscribe, i love the points system.
I second this completely. 

I've only been subscribed to BB since May. Their boxes haven't been that bad for me. With that said, I'll still be subscribed to them because their point system is awesome and I like little surprises.

The PM brought me out of lurkerville. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I dropped mine after October. Compared to my other 2 boxes birchbox has been so blah and boring lately, it's a waste to me. Not even the generic please contact us, lets talk tweet when I posted my box picture and said blah could persuade me to stay. I don't know what it was. I like some skin care products mixed in, I don't need all make up, but the boxes have just been so boring to me.

I drop BB sometimes, but always go back, hoping it will get better. It just gets worse, with October being my

worst month yet. I got 2 hair product samples in foil packets and a freebie perfume sample. The other things

were ok, nothing I'd buy full size. I love BB, in theory, but the box varieties are maddening. I have used my

BB points, so I guess I come out ahead in the long run. If they weren't offering points, I wouldn't bother 

with them. November will be my last month if I get mostly "freebie" samples again.

I am enjoying Ipsy a lot more, but I wish they'd send more skincare samples. The makeup is good, but

I like a little variety. Between my two subs, Ipsy is the keeper.

I've only received 2 boxes, so I'm going to stick it out for now. If BB doesn't wow me after January's box, I'll use my points and cancel. In the mean time, I subbed to Popsugar and I'm really looking forward to the November box.

I have been happy with Birchbox until the past two or three months. I don't so much have box envy, as much as I am tired of the emphasis on celebrities and popular media. The curated boxes IMO are getting out of hand. I also feel that those little foil packets I get are not enough to really sample a product. I have to worry not only about my own skin, but that of my severely allergic husband whose sensitivities have forced me into searching out more organic/botanical makeup, skin care, and fragrance. Birchbox does fortunately provide some good alternatives to more commercial products, but I don't know right now if it's worth it to keep the sub.

I was disappointed with my box because of its sample sizes. That being said, I wasn't so angry that I think I want to drop it. I do think that this was a month that could have been better, but whatever. I'm on an annual plan and I think when it expires in March, I may or may not renew.

October was very disappointing and if the November and December boxes are not better I will be dropping them.

I started a year subscription last December and next month is my last. After getting my September box with samples I have received before, I just decided to contact their customer service rep and make sure I will not be auto renewed for another year. I know that this is a common complaint, but fragrance samples are not deluxe by any means. I realize that this service is to help us try things we would not ordinarily try, but some tiny vial of perfume or a foil packet of lotion is just insulting. I have decided to move on and try another subscription service once I have received my final box.

I voted "sticking it out". I am a fairly new subscriber (Aug 2012) so I am not bored with them yet. I also think I am Birchbox's target customer. I live in a rural community with a Sephora over an hour and a half away. No Sally's. No Ultra. I can't just pick up samples when I chose. This is perfect for me to try different brands then buy them online. I AM disappointed in samples that are tiny for products that require more than a few uses for me to know if I like them or if they work for me. For example: This month I received Kiehl's Rosa Arctica Eye Cream. The tube was super tiny and only 1/2 full. Full size is $46. Most eye creams I need to use at least 2 weeks to know if there are any vi sable results. (Skin cell turn-over and all) So I am not going to buy full size anything without a GOOD sample to know if it works for me.

Things like lip gloss, mascara, eyeshadow, etc....you know after a couple of uses whether you like it or not. Small samples of those are fine. I don't think most subscribers are asking for "life-time" supply out of a sample, just an opportunity to TRY the product. I have been pleased with all my boxes so far with some surprises at some items I have actually thought I wouldn't like then loved.

I haven't had missing boxes or shipping problems. My boxes have come earlier than expected. I do understand the frustration of all those experienced that. How can you review a product when you barely get your box before you HAVE to review product to receive points? My Aug box (my first box) arrived closer to the end of the month and I definitely felt rushed to review.

Originally Posted by murflegirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about a "No - I'm happy with my Birchbox subscription" because that's my answer.
THIS. I may have had a disappointing box this month, but I am happy with my subscription. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

"No. I'm sticking it out with Birchbox" would be your choice. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"No. I'm sticking it out with Birchbox" would be your choice. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
"No - I'm happy with my Birchbox subscription" seems much less negative and would make the poll have a more unbiased feel.  Just a thought :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

IMO- it's not I don't think that bb is still great but the other subscription companies have really stepped up their game. The past couple months my bb has been pretty sad in comparison with other months and my other subscriptions. I would drop my sub but I bought a year so I'm sticking it out for now. My sister is dropping her sub after last months box.

I'm sticking it out. I barely learned a few months ago that subscription boxes even existed, and so far in only trying 4 boxes I have found a few products I really love. That makes it worth it to me, especially with the great rewards program. Sure, I'm bummed about their customer service - I didn't get the 100 points a lot of others got for boxes being shipped late; and the only thing I got when I emailed them about a product that had appeared on the website as being a part of my box, but which had never arrived, was a response stating that they were sorry but the said item was not an item included in that particular box, and then customer service secretly removed the item from where it was listed on the site as being in my box. If that makes sense....

Nonetheless, I still am curious in sticking it out longer. As I've said, I've come across some good products, and it's still been fun trying out new things.

And I agree with you guys, the wording "sticking it out with Birchbox" does sound negative. The first thing I thought after reading all of the possible responses to the poll was that it sounds rather biased against Birchbox. But no big - maybe it didn't sound that way to the person who wrote it.

Back