How Often Do You Wash Your Hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wash my hair every 3 days. I used to wash them everyday or every 2 days but it would dry them out. I have long and naturally big, thick and frizzy hair so the whole process of washing takes time and I dont want to go thru that everyday either! The thing is that my scalp can get greasy and the style (I put some mousse and spray to define curls) doesnt hold after 2 days.

Ummm I wash my hair everyday when i'm that time of month when my hair gets greasy in like an hour xD but other that maybe every other day xD depending if i feel oily and gross LOL

I have to wash my hair everyday, i have naturally oily scalp, if i dont wash for a day, its too unbearable!

I wash my silvergrey/dark long hair in winter twice a week and in summer more often if the weather is hot

This is going to sound really gross...but I wash my hair once a week. Let me explain....if you train your scalp to not produce a ton of oil (yeah its possible!) your hair won't look oily/greasy for quite a while. A common mistake people with oily scalps make is washing their hair daily - if not more then once a day. Doing this actually increase and stimulates the oil glands thus causing your hair to produce more oil. I have the healthiest hair of anyone I know, and even on the 5 or 6th day, my hair doesnt look dirty, feel dirty or have an odour to it.

I was only 2-3 times a week. luckily my hair does not get greasy easily. I also use the Ojon rub out dry shampoo. Works pretty good but the smell! oh man!

Originally Posted by kuuipo415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was only 2-3 times a week. luckily my hair does not get greasy easily. I also use the Ojon rub out dry shampoo. Works pretty good but the smell! oh man! I know....it smells like crap...literally!!

I wash my hair every day, but I have to because of the products I put in it to style it.

But it's short, so if it's damaged, it's cut off in a coupla weeks anyway.

I wash my hair sun tue and thurs. I have a lot of fall out which sucks and I dont know how to fix it.

Originally Posted by sweetnsexy6953 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wash my hair sun tue and thurs. I have a lot of fall out which sucks and I dont know how to fix it. Do you use a lot of styling products (gel/mousse/hair spray) in your hair?

OMG surely thats not true, i wash my hair every single day and have done for years. I can't not as it gets oily very easily

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is going to sound really gross...but I wash my hair once a week. Let me explain....if you train your scalp to not produce a ton of oil (yeah its possible!) your hair won't look oily/greasy for quite a while. A common mistake people with oily scalps make is washing their hair daily - if not more then once a day. Doing this actually increase and stimulates the oil glands thus causing your hair to produce more oil. I have the healthiest hair of anyone I know, and even on the 5 or 6th day, my hair doesnt look dirty, feel dirty or have an odour to it. I wash my hair every morning because i wake up with it all oily and flattened cuz of the grease but I tired once washing it only every other day for maybe 4 days but I couldnt take it. I could smell my hair and it felt gross and I always had it up because leaving it down looked terrible and like I hadnt washed it. Do you think maybe my head just has to get used to it for a while before I see it improve? How do you keep it looking fresh for a whole week? Or maybe you just naturally don't have an oily scalp?

I shampoo once a week, but only rinse and condition when my hair is feeling dry the other days of the week. I've never had oily hair so shampooing makes no sense for me. But since my hair is curly, it sometimes gets really dry and that's when I do the rinse and condition thing.

I used to wash it once a week when I was little, but now it's twice a week. My hair is very long and thick, and they don't get greasy at all. (Well, it might, if I leave it unwashed for more than five days.) I don't see the need to wash it more often, considering it looks fabulous and doesn't smell. The funny thing is, on the fourth day I sometimes complain that it doesn't look so good, and everyone disagrees with me and thinks I've just washed it yesterday. I guess I'm lucky to not have greasy hair, because if I'd have to curl it or straighten it--which is what I always do after washing--everyday, I'd be seriously unhappy. LOL.

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is going to sound really gross...but I wash my hair once a week. Let me explain....if you train your scalp to not produce a ton of oil (yeah its possible!) your hair won't look oily/greasy for quite a while. A common mistake people with oily scalps make is washing their hair daily - if not more then once a day. Doing this actually increase and stimulates the oil glands thus causing your hair to produce more oil. I have the healthiest hair of anyone I know, and even on the 5 or 6th day, my hair doesnt look dirty, feel dirty or have an odour to it. I do this too! A few years ago I switched to shampooing once a week (and rinsing or cleansing with a conditioner between). After a week of adjustment for my scalp's oil production, the "greasy" look went away. During that week or so, I rinsed every day, but no shampoo. Now my scalp doesn't get greasy and I rinse once every few days, and shampoo once every week or two. I was using WEN products at the time, but now I use a less expensive brand from the drugstore.
My hair has never looked so healthy and shiny, probably because I don't have to heat and style it every day. I have longish, thick, wavy/curly (depending on humidity) hair, so maybe the texture helps to keep my hair looking fresh (ie. not flat) for several days.

shoot! its a major ordeal about my tresses! i naturally have excessively THICK, COARSE, part wave part spiral curls. so if im going au naturale then basically every 2-3 because if im going curly then at some point the massive amount of curls is going UP! but god i love straight hair - my maxius god i love it too - so if take the hour and a half to do my hair you best bet im not going out in the rain nor am i washing until I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO! which i can almost a full 6 days. my hair is naturally very dry because of course of the type curlage i got... so i can actually get away with it for a lil bit! plus oily on m hair is just slick shininess for me! of course gotta use the smell good stuff!

Originally Posted by HairEgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is going to sound really gross...but I wash my hair once a week. Let me explain....if you train your scalp to not produce a ton of oil (yeah its possible!) your hair won't look oily/greasy for quite a while. A common mistake people with oily scalps make is washing their hair daily - if not more then once a day. Doing this actually increase and stimulates the oil glands thus causing your hair to produce more oil. I have the healthiest hair of anyone I know, and even on the 5 or 6th day, my hair doesnt look dirty, feel dirty or have an odour to it. Do you use styling products? If you use products it can speed up the need to wash it .

Back