I was accused of shoplifting and almost arrested today at CVS due to my appearance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, this might be tricky. I used to work in retail and I know that we've called security (and law enforcement) on past customers just based on suspicion. Once the police check out the situation, the individuals are free to go. I've heard of people suing after being arrested which is typically where the line is drawn. Of course it doesn't mean that you're any less traumatized, but it's more cut and dry if you were falsely arrested than falsely accused. Either way, I'd still see a lawyer.

My mom too!!! If I was thirsty she would let me open the water or juice and just bring the empty bottle up. I still do that while waiting in line!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This makes me sad. When I was little my mom used to let us eat bananas in the store if we were hungry and we would tell the checkout person we did and they would just weigh one of our bananas again. I just don't understand why they didn't charge the parent for a handful of apricots and realize that she is 4.

I do that when I'm thirsty I always pay for the bottle I opened. I've never had a problem with it. If I went into a store with a bottle of soda I make sure to get a sticker on it so that they know it's an outside drink. Just in case.

Originally Posted by mishtastic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mom too!!! If I was thirsty she would let me open the water or juice and just bring the empty bottle up. I still do that while waiting in line!

Quote:

I would sue their butts!!!!  Shame on them to put you through that!!!  One time my friend and I were in JC Penney and were hurrying around the store because they were close to closing and when we left the store we were approached by 2 people saying they were security guards and thought we stoled some stuff.  They asked to see the inside of our purses and my friend just opens hers up to which I promptly put my hand over it and said how do we know you are security.. where is your badge or store ID.. They proved they were security and we proved we didn't steal a friggin thing.  I was so upset I went back into the store and demanded to talk to a manager because I was going to ream them out but good.. but as soon as he got in front of me all I could do is bawl my head off.  I was so so upset.  My friend had to do all the talking.  I know exactly how you feel and I hope you see a lawyer.. They have no right to ban you from the store because of the way you look.. Do it fast so the police officers don't forget.. They didn't write a report so you need a statement that they heard the manager say it was because of the way you looked.

icon_eek.gif
 Wow! This whole thing is amazing!  Im surprised no one has contacted the media FOR you!! Do you have a "7 on your side" or something in FL?

I just now found this thread, and I feel SICK. Fairest, I am so sorry this happened to you!!
I once was arrested for shoplifting because I returned an outfit I had bought the day before and paid cash.. Came back to the store with it and all tags and had forgotten the receipt for the purchase. I still remember how frightened I was.. even though I didn't steal a thing.. And how mad I was at the dept. store for treating a great customer that way!!

IMO, CVS is a pathetic store anyway. I have gotten Rx filled there because they used to be Eckerd's and were managed and stocked much better then. As you know, Eckerd's is or was a Florida- owned family business. I was loyal to Eckerd's because it is a store I have liked all my life.. But, my family will now be going across the highway from CVS to Walgreen's for our Rx and anything else the 2 stores sell that we need. If CVS treated you this way, then any of us could be next, and besides, I want to show solidarity.
Funny, but the local CVS has cut down the number and quality of cosmetic displays to almost nothing here. I can walk by and maybe see one Wet n Wild display and a Sally Hansen, but nothing like the L'Oreal,  Revlon, and Maybelline seasonal makeup displays they used to have.  I think they expanded the wine and beer category of the store instead.

I'm glad you weren't alone. I was alone when I was handcuffed and taken to jail. I still have nightmares about it, and that store's horrible mistake with me happened in the early 90's. It felt like something out of a Geoge Orwell novel.  

Hold your head up high and find a better quality of business to do your cosmetic shopping in. They proved their worth when they messed with you. Total zeros.

Oh, and we have a huge blanket type liability policy on our homeowner's insurance. We bought it when we had our pool designed- before a hole was even excavated. Even though we have a locked fenced pool area, I didn't think our homeowner's insurance was enough. One of the provisions I didn't ask for and didn't expect to find is insurance against being sued for either libel or slander. I guess it is standard on a liability policy.

I bet CVS has a similar policy.. I think a civil suit would definitely be beneficial.

I wish I had not been so naive and scared. I would have had a whale of a suit against the dept. store which lied about me. ( Yes, the receipt was found and all charges were dropped, but I was perp walked out of a store I had really liked with my hands handcuffed behind my back like I was The Shoe Bomber).

I cried like a baby.

I think that you should take legal action on CVS. That was so wrong on their part. Just because you have pink hair and you like shopping there. I know people think its would just be easy for you to call CVS Corporate but a lot of retail corporates don't care. I work for a retail company and one of my managers is an total ass to the employs and customers. He has gotten to the point where he hate employs, like throwing boxes at them, he has slammed a door into my back and didn't care. Some of us employs have called about him and we get a lot of customers say that they have called as well and corporate doesn't care. They tell us they cant do anything about it. Which I know is a lie. So, if I was you would take legal action. Because they judged you on how you look. But also comes down to you. I wish you good luck and sorry to hear about this.

Originally Posted by mizjmakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PSHH! I never shop at CVS because the things they sell are sometimes marked high in price.

Go to Walgreens or Rite Aid... whatever you have in your state. That is also creepy to have

someone be watching you and probably talking about you whenever you go there. You could

sue them easily and win. CVS sucks anyways, they are the wannabes to Walgreens.

Walgreens will always be the best for me! :) (btw, pink hair is awesome! they're just

jealous because they have boring hair, unlike you.)
Im with you on that. You can get them same thing at Walgreens for a lower price.  

many companies are not even allowed to accuse someone of stealing, even after witnessing it first-hand because of the fact that a lawsuit may follow that they're afraid to deal with.  i think you ought to atleast have a lawyer send something their way, it is total b.s. for them to get away with that.

Back