I was accused of shoplifting and almost arrested today at CVS due to my appearance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry this happened to you, Amber. I love your hair, but even if you hate the way a person looks, that is not a reason to harass them. I am fortunate with my local CVS; they are so nice to me. The pharmacist remembers my name. I often go in there and browse; you know how makeup addicts browse: we go back and forth between the same aisles talking ourselves in and out of purchases and checking swatches on our smartphones. The person I am inside would dye her hair blue, green, or purple. But I purposely don't because I know that people judge others like they did to you, and while I perhaps could deal with it individually, I don't want those judgments to reflect on my volunteer work. Anyway, the whole thing is crazy.

There seems to be 3 posts on Cvs's facebook today with people complaining about how they were treated in cvs. 

One thing I learned in life is to go to the very top if you want to get something done. Don't waste your time with the middlemen.

Thank you for all the comments and support everyone! Sorry I haven't been on here responding to each of you, but I've really been affected by what happened and have just been trying to keep my mind off of it a bit. So many people have commented or re posted my story on CVS's wall, but unfortunately 99% of them were immediately hidden by whoever runs the facebook page. Part of me does want to go to the media, but part of me is just so stressed out by the situation that I feel like I can't deal with it anymore. I haven't even left my house since this happened because I'm so scared something like it is going to happen again. My poor mom who is fully disabled with post traumatic stress disorder is taking it even worse. She's been having horrible panic attacks non stop once I told her she's been banned from all CVS stores.....the only drug store within walking distance from our house (she has no car) and also where she has gotten some of her meds filled. She just can't understand how people can be so heartless or get away with punishing someone even after they have been proven innocent. I can honestly say it's one of the worst experiences we have ever gone through

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for all the comments and support everyone! Sorry I haven't been on here responding to each of you, but I've really been affected by what happened and have just been trying to keep my mind off of it a bit. So many people have commented or re posted my story on CVS's wall, but unfortunately 99% of them were immediately hidden by whoever runs the facebook page. Part of me does want to go to the media, but part of me is just so stressed out by the situation that I feel like I can't deal with it anymore. I haven't even left my house since this happened because I'm so scared something like it is going to happen again. My poor mom who is fully disabled with post traumatic stress disorder is taking it even worse. She's been having horrible panic attacks non stop once I told her she's been banned from all CVS stores.....the only drug store within walking distance from our house (she has no car) and also where she has gotten some of her meds filled. She just can't understand how people can be so heartless or get away with punishing someone even after they have been proven innocent. I can honestly say it's one of the worst experiences we have ever gone through
Sadly, if all of this is true especially with all the stress involved, all the more reason to seek out something legally.  See if you can consult a lawyer at the very least.  I know that will cost money, but they can give you an idea if you have a case hopefully in a short amount of time.

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly, if all of this is true especially with all the stress involved, all the more reason to seek out something legally.  See if you can consult a lawyer at the very least.  I know that will cost money, but they can give you an idea if you have a case hopefully in a short amount of time.
Agreed. I feel like it's even more reason to have something done, especially if they're not being cooperative.

RE: The media. Here's some advice from a PR/Journalism student... We've learned in class that the best way to go big is to start small. Contact your local news outlets to see if they'll be interested in covering your story. Once you have a piece already produced, you can use that to pitch higher and higher up! (Plus, a lot of national outlets scan lots of local stations or papers to get ideas for they're stories!) Plus, use the network you've got here! How many beauty bloggers frequent this site - a ton! If you can provide any factual information - the names of the police who stopped you, the police report, etc - it'll help, too. Finally, SOCIAL MEDIA. Start a page about the issue so that we can all mobilize in one place!

Your poor mom and poor you! I agree it might be too stressful to contact media and/or seek legal counsel. That decision is ultimately up to you. I know if anyone did something like that to me (especially hurting my mother in the process) I would be furious and do whatever it took to make it right. That is just my personality, though, I think you should go with your gut and do what is comfortable to you!

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

CVSSucks.com.... just sayin. I know a cute web designer too ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
There's an idea. If you are too stressed to jump in and get an attorney right away take the time to document everything that has happened including facebook screen shots. You can document it all on a website too like 'CVSSucks.' Recently some lady on one of my scrapbooking boards got ripped off and fought back with a website. I saved her site for reference because I liked how she documented everything beautifully. Here's her site for reference. http://scrapbookneedsripoffreports.weebly.com/index.html I figured if I ever got into it with a company I could do the same thing using her site for reference. I would email the CVS CEO with the facts for a resolution so it can be documented rather than speaking by phone where it becomes a 'he said, she said' situation. Take a deep breath and be calculating. You're in no rush. Be like snake.

Originally Posted by Totem /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's an idea. If you are too stressed to jump in and get an attorney right away take the time to document everything that has happened including facebook screen shots. You can document it all on a website too like 'CVSSucks.' Recently some lady on one of my scrapbooking boards got ripped off and fought back with a website. I saved her site for reference because I liked how she documented everything beautifully. Here's her site for reference. http://scrapbookneedsripoffreports.weebly.com/index.html I figured if I ever got into it with a company I could do the same thing using her site for reference. I would email the CVS CEO with the facts for a resolution so it can be documented rather than speaking by phone where it becomes a 'he said, she said' situation. Take a deep breath and be calculating. You're in no rush.
A sucks site definitely gets noticed. I got ripped off by a local furniture company and created a sucks website where customers can post their own reviews of the place. The employees discovered it and went crazy, posting all KINDS of gossip about the CEO and his crooked dealings, secret affairs, etc. The company offered to buy the website from me for $2,000 and I turned it down. They are still trying. 

please please please call a lawyer. i'm a first year law student so i can't tell you a lot, i just learned this week that merchants do have privilege to ask people that they have reasonable belief shoplifted questions or search them (it might be hard to prove that they didn't have a reasonable belief, idk, i personally don't think they had any grounds to ask y'all anything). and what i learned might vary in different jurisdictions, but your mother's condition coupled with the stress you are personally suffering from it might be enough fuel for a lawyer.

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A sucks site definitely gets noticed. I got ripped off by a local furniture company and created a sucks website where customers can post their own reviews of the place. The employees discovered it and went crazy, posting all KINDS of gossip about the CEO and his crooked dealings, secret affairs, etc. The company offered to buy the website from me for $2,000 and I turned it down. They are still trying. 
claps.gif
Priceless!

posted on their wall. I hope this is made right

eta: well, I had a post on their wall. Surprise, surprise, it's gone now.

I would be stressed out too! What makes me upset is that CVS isn't doing everything in their power to rectify the situation. They just gave you a 1-800 number so YOU can call in and talk about your experience. And they are censoring their facebook page! They're trying to cover everything up! Just like the store manager. 

I know a lot of people abuse suing under the "emotional duress' thing, but this is clearly emotional duress. I think you should contact a lawyer, CVS is as wrong as a 3$ bill for doing this to you and your Mom.

I wonder which two CVS stores? All the article says is, "The DEA has alleged the two stores, about 30 miles south of Orlando, were inappropriately filling prescriptions for oxycodone, which can be highly addictive, and also had suspicious sales of other controlled substances."

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder which two CVS stores? All the article says is, "The DEA has alleged the two stores, about 30 miles south of Orlando, were inappropriately filling prescriptions for oxycodone, which can be highly addictive, and also had suspicious sales of other controlled substances."
If one of those is the same CVS, it seems even more likely one of the employees was stealing and trying to pin it on you.

Latest posts

Back