I was accused of shoplifting and almost arrested today at CVS due to my appearance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely disgusting. I won't be shopping at CVS anymore. 

Keep us updated with your situation. I completely agree with InternetChick, get a lawyer. Eyewitnesses in these cases usually don't mean anything because like you said, they could be lying to cover their own butts. 

This is the epitome of unprofessional for all CVS parties involved. Bring the hammer of Thor down on their asses.
whipping.gif

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW. The district manager at CVS was a DICK. He said my mom is banned from ALL stores for LIFE, no action will be taken against any of the employees involved and he advised me to no longer shop at the store if I feel I'm being profiled. He gave no explanation for why the police were called on us, would not tell me the names of the employees who called on us, nothing. I'm officially done and I hope anyone aware of this situation calls to make a complaint. I know I'm contacting a lawyer and the media immediately.
I don't think these "manager" types understand the power of social media and the interwebs. Your post on their Facebook page is being seen by thousands. Your post on this forum will be taken into consideration by hundreds, if not thousands, of makeup addicts and beauty bloggers who have MANY options when it comes to cosmetics retailers. Living in Tucson, I am surrounded by drug stores, but always preferred CVS when purchasing makeup. I probably spend $300 a year on beauty stuff at CVS. I no longer feel right about giving my hard earned money to company who displays such poor judgment to their customers and then shows no remorse or acknowledgment. 

Whether I was the CVS district manager or a suit sitting in CVS corporate headquarters right now, I would be THOROUGHLY EMBARRASSED by this situation and be trying my best to make it right and uphold a respectable reputation. 

You need to bypass the district office and contact corporate. 

CVS Corporate Office Headquarters HQ in the USA:One CVS DriveWoonsocket, RI 02895Corporate Phone Number: 1-401-765-1500Corporate Fax Number: 1-401-762-2137Corporate Email: [email protected]

Write a physical letter, email the letter and fax the letter.

This does not surprise me.

CVS was a shit hole (to employees even) when I worked for them, and consequently, I did not shop there for a few years after I quit after being verbally accosted by my manager over something that was completely out of my control.

Then when I finally got around to going back, thanks to my shitty insurance not giving me very many choices for select medication, they were a shit hole again. As an ex-employee, I knew all of the rules and they followed none of them.

I found out Target is a pharmacy I can go to, so I switched.. and made a scathing complaint about that CVS's lack of service. A few days after the complaint, I received a call asking if I wanted to fill any of my prescriptions and I said hell no.

I should mention that the first CVS I worked at was really nice and the managers treated me like a human being. But the one I got switched to that was closer to home was horrible. I'd probably drive the 15-20 minutes there if I had to use CVS again.

PS. Sorry this is happening to you.

The stupid thing is now they are covering their asses and saying I was never a suspect. If that were true why was MY purse searched, why was MY vehicle searched, Why was MY body searched and why did the officers say the store SPECIFICALLY told them to search ME for makeup, tools to break locks, and baby products? How the hell would the officers just randomly know how often I'm in the store and to search me for stolen makeup if the associates weren't well aware of who I am, what type of products I shop there for, and to tell the officers to search me for them?

Let me just say that I like your pink hair. If I were you, I would contact an attorney ASAP! Sorry this happened to you, it sounds traumatic!

Wow. I'm shocked and yet not surprised. by this. What I'm more shocked about is the behavior of the district manager. Like you said clearly they don't undertstand the power of social media much less media has.

I'm also shocked at the district manager's behavior, I could never imagine this happening at my CVS everyone is so nice and friendly. I honestly hope that manager gets put in his place!

Unfortunately I'm not surprised. As I said on FB, they will only take this seriously after it hurts their business. And for the people who have to search for web presence for CVS (and I know you exist) I WILL NO LONGER SHOP AT CVS DUE TO THIS INCIDENT. I think it's ridiculous that to get any sort of justice you have to throw a fit instead of companies just admitting they were wrong. Sorry Amber, I was hoping for a solution but it seems CVS does not care.

I am putting up posts with your link on facebook to it, I do not feel right shopping at CVS any longer, they have now lost a costumer completely. 

The stupid thing is now they are covering their asses and saying I was never a suspect. If that were true why was MY purse searched, why was MY vehicle searched, Why was MY body searched and why did the officers say the store SPECIFICALLY told them to search ME for makeup, tools to break locks, and baby products? How the hell would the officers just randomly know how often I'm in the store and to search me for stolen makeup if the associates weren't well aware of who I am, what type of products I shop there for, and to tell the officers to search me for them?
Well the other stupid thing is if they didn't specifically target you he is saying they just randomly choose customers to call the police on (which I know is not the case) but that's an even scarier thought to put out there instead of owning it.

This is just out of hand. How did they know your mom had purchased printer ink at another store and supposedly was trying to steal it at CVS? Good luck getting this exposed.

This was already said by someone else. I forgot to add that unless she gave consent they need a warrant. And it is state by state. Damn people!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apparently so. I guess that means Amy from Sugarpill, Snooky & Tish from Manic Panic, Betsey Johnson (and I could go one and on) are all criminals as well because they have brightly colored hair. Stupid manager... I find those with color hair and even those with tattoos tend to be the NICEST people out there more so than "normal" people. In my area the ones who do the most shoplifting are the upper middle class and rich girls who have the expensive clothes and have mommy and daddy's money to buy anything they want.
Its the elderly ppl who they really need to look out for. When I worked in retail they were the biggest thieves.

Hi ladies!! So today I had quite an experience...

My mother and I were at CVS shopping for about 15 minutes before I checked out. I purchased a lipstick, handed the clerk my cvs card, and used ECB so it ended up being free. We went out to my car to leave and 2 police officers blocked my car in and demanded we get out. They told us the store called and is accusing us not only of shoplifting products today, but that that they think I have been stealing from them for MONTHS. The officers said they had been instructed to look for makeup, baby items, printer ink, medications and more 

My car and purse were completely searched through and they did background checks on us. I had 3 lipsticks on me...the one I just purchased (and had my receipt for) and 2 that cvs does not sell. In the back seat of my car I had a few magazines and bags with items we'd been out shopping for. That included one ink cartridge my mom bought. She couldn't find her reciept so THANK GOD she paid by credit card because the officers called the store she bought it at and verified she had just purchased it (it was also not one of the ink #'s the store claimed was stolen). The officers then said they were going in to review the store footage. After some time they came out and told us it cleared us and showed we did nothing wrong, but that the store was still 100% certain I was a thief and did not want my mom or I shopping there anymore. If we came back to the store they would call the cops and we would be arrested.

At this point the officers are like why did they even call us with no proof of wrongdoing? The officers went back inside to question the manager and associate who called and were told that I fit the "physical profile" of someone who would steal (because of my pink hair) and I'm in the store multiple times a week and often purchase nothing which they felt is suspicious. As you all know I'm constantly out running to cvs, walgreens, target etc looking for limited edition makeup displays and deals. Sometimes I'm just in and out if I don't see what I'm looking for. I guess my appearance and frequent store visits instantly qualified me to be the person who'd been stealing?

So the officers told us we were free to go...they would be taking no action against us not even a warning, but to stay the hell away from that store because they are dying to pin something on me for whatever reason.Words seriously cannot express how not only embarrassing, but scary it is to have cops search and threaten to arrest you when you know you've done nothing wrong. And even worse is knowing I'd been shopping there for months and they were secretly watching me hoping to spot me stealing something. So now I'm banned from shopping there (not like I'd choose to go back anyways).

The funny thing is I've actually been named student of the month and citizen of the year by the fort myers police department in the past. They need to teach their employees to stop making assumtions about customers based on their appearance. Not every person who looks different is a criminal

I posted a complaint onto their facebook wall if any of you would be so kind as to like, comment on or share my experience so it's not ignored. I'm still debating whether or not to take legal action against the store

https://www.facebook.com/CVS/posts/10151135685143116

I will be calling their customer service when they open back up on Monday, but I want something to be done about it before then so hopefully if my fb post generates enough interest they will take it seriously. Thank you
OMG!  That is AWFUL, and I'm so sorry this happened to you and your mom!  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I can totally sympathize...a few years ago, my husband and I stopped in at a Fred Meyer near my parent's home (Freddy's is "our" store, and we spend a TON of money there, just not at this particular one).  As we were getting ready to pay, the clerk asked for our driver's licenses and started walking away.  I stopped her and asked what she needed them for.  She said it was random "routine" verification they do.  Um, if that is the case, how come our Freddys never, ever has done that?)  She came back a few minutes later and handed our licenses back and checked us out.  I was appalled!  I know it was because my husband had long hair and was a little dusty from working on our blueberry farm that day.  No further explanation was given, and we've never been back to that particular store.  However, I did send off a not-so-nice letter to the company.  Totally sucks that they profile like that!

Bleh, I used to work for CVS and its no suprise they treat their customers just like their employees. More of a reason for me to save money and not shop there anymore.

I wholeheartedly believe that people misuse lawsuits, but in this case I hope you sue their pants off. This is seriously unacceptable behavior, and what's worse is that no one is taking responsibility for it. As long as someone said they were sincerely sorry and meant it I would take that as a victory. And that's not even that hard because they are absolutely in the wrong!! But treating you even more rudely and backtracking on the fact that they were LEGITIMATELY profiling you for no reason? That's horrible and they deserve to pay for it.

I'm so so sorry this happened to you and keep us updated on the situation!!

I wholeheartedly believe that people misuse lawsuits, but in this case I hope you sue their pants off. This is seriously unacceptable behavior, and what's worse is that no one is taking responsibility for it. As long as someone said they were sincerely sorry and meant it I would take that as a victory. And that's not even that hard because they are absolutely in the wrong!! But treating you even more rudely and backtracking on the fact that they were LEGITIMATELY profiling you for no reason? That's horrible and they deserve to pay for it. I'm so so sorry this happened to you and keep us updated on the situation!!
I totally agree with her! Take her advice and sue those suckers!!!

Latest posts

Back