I was accused of shoplifting and almost arrested today at CVS due to my appearance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that is just horrific! When a cop is driving behind me I get freaked out, even though I KNOW I didn't do anything wrong. So, I can imagine how scared you must have felt. 

CVS is one of my favorite beauty spots and it makes me sad that this happened. I would call a lawyers office and ask some questions, they will usually advise you if you have a case or not (not always for free), but they will let you know. 

I am so sorry that happened to you! 

Thank you so much for all the advice ladies :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I plan on hearing what cvs has to say about the situation before I take legal action or go to the media. I've been shopping there for years and almost never have a problem so I'd love to think it is these individuals at fault and that cvs will not tolearate a loyal customer being treated that way. That was quite honestly one of the scariest experiences I've ever had. Like you said Keely, I start getting scared when a cop evendrives behind me so to have my belongings searched and being told I could be arrested was terrifying. Idk if any of you girls can relate, but I usually carry large purses with my life in there....sometimes I'l carry a few lip products, some face powder, concealer for touch ups, etc. I just happened to switch out purses to a small cross body and only threw in 2 lipsticks (a day and night color). The cops were questioning me about where I got those from (thank god they were 2 revlon colors not sold at cvs).What if I had a purse full of makeup on me like I usually do? It literally makes me feel scared to carry anything on me that I can't immediately prove I paid for.

Thank you so much for all the advice ladies :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I plan on hearing what cvs has to say about the situation before I take legal action or go to the media. I've been shopping there for years and almost never have a problem so I'd love to think it is these individuals at fault and that cvs will not tolearate a loyal customer being treated that way. That was quite honestly one of the scariest experiences I've ever had. Like you said Keely, I start getting scared when a cop evendrives behind me so to have my belongings searched and being told I could be arrested was terrifying. Idk if any of you girls can relate, but I usually carry large purses with my life in there....sometimes I'l carry a few lip products, some face powder, concealer for touch ups, etc. I just happened to switch out purses to a small cross body and only threw in 2 lipsticks (a day and night color). The cops were questioning me about where I got those from (thank god they were 2 revlon colors not sold at cvs).What if I had a purse full of makeup on me like I usually do? It literally makes me feel scared to carry anything on me that I can't immediately prove I paid for.
Whoa! I didn't even think about purse contents! I always carry a bag with makeup (in my monster of a purse lol)for touch ups, sometimes my Naked2..also, I typically carry around 3-5 glosses, balms, or stains! Fate was looking out when you downsized to a smaller bag. I hope CVS responds, shows some remorse and tries to alleviate your concerns with some favorable outcome because that is just whackadoo behavior on the employees' parts. Also, pooey on finding a new shopping place. You coupon and score good finds at CVS, right? It's a pain to switch stomping grounds, I feel ya on that.

The cops said quite often the camera angles don't catch everything but they can still charge you if you have items on you that match the desciption of anything stolen and can't prove where you got it from. Printer ink was one of the items they said we stole and my mom did have one in the car. Had she not been able to provide her credit card number, when and where she purchased it the officers said they could have reasonably assumed it was stolen and charges could have been made. They said if the products I had on me were sold at cvs and I couldn't prove I purchased them they could have done the same.

Wow! I'm sorry this happened to you. I would hope that even if you did have a bunch of makeup in your purse that they would see that it had been previously opened and used. Most women I know carry a bunch of makeup in their purse! I will check out your facebook post. I hope you get a positive resolution out of this.

I'm with everyone who said get a lawyer and file a lawsuit. What they did was wrong. Most state laws require the employee SEEING the person steal the item and must have eyes on them at ALL TIMES. They jumped to the conclusion that you're a thief due to your appearance.

District manager is Ralph Littlefield and his office is located in Sarasota, Florida.

Tell CVS that the person who stole from their store is probably the person who is stealing from my building.. and IT'S NOT YOU!

What state are you in? I want to make sure you're not near me, because then I'd march in to yell at the CVS people for you!

Also, you're so damn cute, why would they think you look like a shoplifter?

I agree. They harassed and bullied you with the police. They have no proof. Seek out an attorney.

I posted on facebook last night too. Unbelievable! Maybe the manager and employees are ripping the store off and blaming it on you. I've heard of that happening before.They sound crazy enough. When I was in high school a friend and I were walking around inside a candy store giggling and when I got to the counter to pay for my candy the owner asked to see my bag. She proceeded to open it and took everything out looking for candy. That was definitely illegal because I never stepped out of the store.  I hope you get the manager there fired or moved.

And people don't learn their lesson until they screw with the wrong person.

This is horrible.  I used to have pink hair myself (back in my youth....ah, memories), but this is irresponsible of the store.  I'm glad you allowed the police to search.  It makes you look good.  I also agree with Luna.  I used to work at a tv station, and we loved those types of stories.  Call the help desk or send an email to a reporter that you like.  They are usually pretty good about responding to these stories.  It really depends on what type of outcome you are wanting.  Do you want an apology?  A gift card?  Enlightenment?  lol...see what I mean?  Have an idea of what you want out of it before you contact them (f you haven't already done so).  Good luck to you!  

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As Zadi noted on FB, they have removed the main complaint thread from public view.
Ya I'm pretty angry about that at the moment. The more they piss me off the bigger this is going to get so someone better get in touch with me soon lol

Originally Posted by maclothier /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is horrible.  I used to have pink hair myself (back in my youth....ah, memories), but this is irresponsible of the store.  I'm glad you allowed the police to search.  It makes you look good.  I also agree with Luna.  I used to work at a tv station, and we loved those types of stories.  Call the help desk or send an email to a reporter that you like.  They are usually pretty good about responding to these stories.  It really depends on what type of outcome you are wanting.  Do you want an apology?  A gift card?  Enlightenment?  lol...see what I mean?  Have an idea of what you want out of it before you contact them (f you haven't already done so).  Good luck to you!  
That's a very good point. I guess all I want is for the company to take this issue seriously and give me a good reason to continue being a customer there. In my personal opinion I believe the manager and staff who reported me should be either fired or seriously disciplined and the entire store should have to take loss prevention courses. I want to know I can safely go into a cvs store without being followed, harassed, or accused of anything without solid reason or proof. I don't want a half assed "I'm sorry" or monetary compensation...just change. 

Back