I was accused of shoplifting and almost arrested today at CVS due to my appearance

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a crazy experience!!! I hate small minded people, I bet the person stealing blends into the wood work.

I am going to clean out my purse I have 6 lipsticks and a few lip glosses not to mention the concealers and mascaras, who carries receipts with them after you have been using a products.

Good luck with customer service.

What scares me about this is that it could easily be me because I exhibit some of the same behavior of checking things out frequently as well as the added staring at displays and looking up swatches on my phone for long periods of time.

I had an incident once ages ago and come to think of it I had my hair dyed at the time as well.  Granted, I set off the detector at the store once on a fluke, but even after I volunteered to dump out my purse, they were very threatening and rude taking it to unnecessary levels even after finding absolutely nothing on my person.  It's frustrating and scary to be in that situation for sure.  I feel for you, and I'm sorry you had to deal with a much more intense version of it!  I hope someone picks up your story so this kind of behavior can be corrected.  It's crazy because the few times I worked in retail we were more under the impression that we couldn't do anything about it unless we had a ton of proof beyond personally witnessing the theft.  At the store you were at, they seemed to have gone to an extreme with zero evidence that you were connected which is illogical and ridiculous.

As a few have suggested, if they don't respond properly you could contact the press. They would be all over it and you would certainly be getting an answer.

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What scares me about this is that it could easily be me because I exhibit some of the same behavior of checking things out frequently as well as the added staring at displays and looking up swatches on my phone for long periods of time.

I had an incident once ages ago and come to think of it I had my hair dyed at the time as well.  Granted, I set off the detector at the store once on a fluke, but even after I volunteered to dump out my purse, they were very threatening and rude taking it to unnecessary levels even after finding absolutely nothing on my person.  It's frustrating and scary to be in that situation for sure.  I feel for you, and I'm sorry you had to deal with a much more intense version of it!  I hope someone picks up your story so this kind of behavior can be corrected.  It's crazy because the few times I worked in retail we were more under the impression that we couldn't do anything about it unless we had a ton of proof beyond personally witnessing the theft.  At the store you were at, they seemed to have gone to an extreme with zero evidence that you were connected which is illogical and ridiculous.
I do the same exact thing with looking up swatches on my phone haha. Sometimes I also sit down in the aisle, organize my coupons, and do the math of how I want my transaction to go. I understand some people may find it a little strange, but it does not give them the right to accuse someone of anything without proof. I'm sorry to hear something similar happened to you as well. It's just such a scary feeling 

That is just awful what happened to you :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thank goodness you didn't have your other purse with you! I really hope someone does something and gives you a real apology and not some faux apology letter and a gift card (although a gift card would be nice! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) I also posted the link to your comment on their facebook since it was hidden. Good luck!

Absolutely ridiculous. Coming at it from a perspective of a retail worker, it is insane. I work in a very small local discount store and yes there are people that attempt to steal (switching price tags, bringing in a big purse, etc) but what we do is watch for suspicious behavior before making accusations. Being a small place, there isn't as much overhead as there is in say a corporation like CVS or Walmart. So sorry this happened to you. It definitely makes me think. I know I make the rounds at numerous drugstores and I'm in Walmart's beauty department just browsing more than once a week. I don't always buy something, I just like to look. That should not be grounds for someone accusing you as a thief. Wishing you luck in solving the issue. Know there are many girls on here to back you up. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wowza, so sorry this happened to you!  I shop at the same Rite Aid several times a week as it's on my way home from work.  I browse the makeup section every time but don't always buy something.  I'd be so sad if something like this happened to me, as I've been a loyal customer. 

I'd definitely raise a stink if it did happen.  Getting the media involved seems to get the best results, at least from what I've observed.  Getting a lawyer involved typically seems to raise defenses and a "united front hold the wall " mentality, regardless of who is at fault. 

I feel so bad you had to go through this.  Terrifying, is right.  I just left a comment, and "liked" a few different responses I thought were helpful.  It looks like that post got lots of hits up until it was hidden- which I also think is shady, btw.

Terrible experience, sorry to hear that. I would call corporate first and see what they are willing to do for you.

Thank you ladies for the advice. I really just want this to get resolved and be done with. I am seriously the most shy person alive so I'm really avoiding contacting the media and having to be on camera and all. I'm giving it until Monday when I can call customer service and if it's not resolved then I'll be taking other action.

Btw I am seriously pissed they hid my comment. Why would they just ignore it instead of at least saying SOMETHING to make the situation better?

So sorry this happened to you.  It sounds like they know that this could get out of hand quickly if the public is involved.  I hope that this is resolved for you, but I doubt that they can compensate for the way you were treated outside of court. They definitely had an ulterior motive at that store and should not be allowed to ban you when you have not done anything wrong (I know you don't want to go back anyway).  I hope this works out for you. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you ladies for the advice. I really just want this to get resolved and be done with. I am seriously the most shy person alive so I'm really avoiding contacting the media and having to be on camera and all. I'm giving it until Monday when I can call customer service and if it's not resolved then I'll be taking other action.

Btw I am seriously pissed they hid my comment. Why would they just ignore it instead of at least saying SOMETHING to make the situation better?
They figure they can keep removing stuff and hopefully you go away. I wouldn't let it slide myself. If they are doing it to you, they are doing it to someone else.

No matter what you decide, you have my support. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here, and I do really like to carry big bags. I spend plenty of time looking up reviews at makeup places.

I am so, so sorry that this happened to you. I hope they do their very best to make things right.

This is horrible! I am so sorry this happened to you.

I am so sick of companies that try to cover up this behavior instead of addressing it, apologizing and educating their employees.

Their public relations is probably off until tomorrow so you probably won't hear anything until tomorrow afternoon. I assume they hid the facebook post until they decide how to handle it.

I'm so sorry, what a terrible experience. I had a similar thing happen to me at TJ Maxx a few months ago, I was shopping with my boyfriend and the cashier did not remove one of the security sensors from something I bought, if I remember correctly it was a makeup set from theBalm. So you can guess what happened next, as we were leaving the alarm goes off I assume they didn't remove the sensor so go back into the store. An employee runs over and was very accusatory and rude to my bf who had been carrying the bag she made a huge scene and it was soooo embarrassing. I actually had to intervene bc she was being so rude to my bf who was too nice to say anything. I told her don't be rude and don't talk to us like that, it was the fault of your coworker for not removing the sensor. After I put her in her place she quickly removed the sensor and gave me back my makeup without saying much else and we left the store. It all happened so fast that we really didn't take it in until we were in the car then, reflecting on the situation, we got so mad. I called the store and an employee said the manager was busy and took a message. This happened on a Friday afternoon, when I never heard back from the manager I called their corporate office Monday. The person I talked to was very responsive and recognized how embarrassing the incident was for me, she apologized on behalf of the company and I believe it was genuine. She took my address and phone number so I was expecting they would sent me a coupon or $10 gift card or something, they actually sent a letter and a $25 gift card. I also heard back from the store manager within about an hour, she apologized, explained that there had recently been a change in management and asked for a description of the employee. I felt the company was responsive, which tends to be more important to the customer than the issue that they wanted addressed. I still shop at that TJ Maxx and I don't believe that employee is there anymore. My situation did not escalate to what yours did and the police were not involved. Had they been, I don't think I would have handled myself as well as you did because I would have been furious and not have given consent to search my bag or car. I would have been arrested and then included false arrest as part of my lawsuit. I would absolutely take legal action if I were you, CVS has shown zero responsiveness to your situation, they are aware of it and rather than do anything at all even an apology or tell you the appropriate person would get back to you Monday they chose to ignore you and make your post private. You deserve to be treated better and not to be profiled as a criminal.

Get the officers badge numbers and the report, the manager on dutys name in info and called an attorney asap. Because you were being profiled by the store and threatened by the them and the cops who did not have a warrant to search your car you can sue the hell out of them all. Just remember to collect all your evidenece and to write up your statement and your mothers.

It is horrible that this happened to you! I am sure there are many of us who browse these kinds of stores multiple times a week, looking for new releases or limited edition products. I carry several makeup products with me, as I am sure many women do, and I doubt any of us would have proof of purchase for things we have been using for a while. Hopefully CVS will make it right. On a side note, I grew up in the Naples/Ft. Myers area and visit often because my family is still there, I would love to know which CVS store it is so that I can avoid it. Also, I am glad the FMPD treated you well, my Brother-in-Law is a police officer for them.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm with everyone who said get a lawyer and file a lawsuit. What they did was wrong. Most state laws require the employee SEEING the person steal the item and must have eyes on them at ALL TIMES. They jumped to the conclusion that you're a thief due to your appearance.

District manager is Ralph Littlefield and his office is located in Sarasota, Florida.
This is true in the Walmart store I work in. You have to know what EXACTLY was stolen and where it was stashed on their person. And you can't lose visual at anytime. Plus only a salaried member of management or AP (Asset Protection) can stop the person or call the police. I also commented on the FB post. I am disappointed that CVS would chose to hide a post and not contact you.  Please obtain a copy of the police report. It will have the manager's name and attending police officiers if you decide to take legal action. Not legal action against the police officers but the manager. You might need the police names for a law suit. Which I am going to assume CVS will try to avoid.

We had an associate accuse a customer of stealing without i's dotted and t's crossed and he no longer works for Walmart. I hope you get a resolution that you are happy with!

Back